Question about the importance of IVs, EVs, and Natures

ohsnoes

Hello, I played this game up to the water gym a few versions ago, and I know a lot has changed and I am restarting a game and going to actually try and make it past the 5th gym. 

I loved playing this game but one of my biggest concerns is how important are IVs, EVs, and natures? Should I constantly be soft resetting for optimal Natures and IVs? Also should I start EV training right away or is it okay to wait until the later game? I often get really unlucky so hopefully I don't have to constantly be resetting but I want to play the game so any insight is helpful. Also I will be starting on Normal mode and then if I have fun switch to an intense mode playthrough?

Thanks everyone in advance.

while not overly important having a few EVs here and there can turn the tide, same for IVs........... as for their overall importance the first issue there comes down to what your team is and how you want to build them, once you figure that out you can then go from there

as for locations im not entirely sure, tho if memory serves you can fineggle with them a bit once you get to a specific point in GDC so worrying about it now isnt all that important

Thank you for the input, it sounds like they help but are not game breaking so I will try and just focus on resetting for an ability and making sure that their main IVs are like 15 or above without a hindering nature (like making sure Scorbunny has 15+ attack and speed and no hindering nature in either of those) and not stress about getting a perfect pokemon. Thank you! I get worried because I am not patient when it comes to RNG. Lol.

I would actually totally disagree with @ArcBolt27 there..
Nature, IVs and EVs are almost a requirement if you are playing in any other difficulty than Casual.
Nature increases your main attribute by 10%, IVs can give you up to an extra 31p in an attribute by Lv100 (which is huge BTW) and EVs further increase both of these status as well, you can have a Pokemon with base 100 speed be slower than a Pokemon with base 90 speed just because of Nature alone and these do change the tide of battle pretty heavily.. Specially in late game as gym leaders start having Pokemons with 31IVs in everyting and EV trained and, at some point, even going beyond this limit.

Look, I would suggest downloading the debug-mode, it can allow you to change your Pokemons IVs and EVs so you can skip this grind, I don't recommend using it for anything else since it can be quite buggy and basically no one here will look down on you for using it if you're just cutting down the grind but if you don't wanna use it I suggest you either get to grinding or change the difficulty to Casual.

4 minutes ago, MhicKy said:

I would actually totally disagree with @ArcBolt27 there..
Nature, IVs and EVs are almost a requirement if you are playing in any other difficulty than Casual.
Nature increases your main attribute by 10%, IVs can give you up to an extra 31p in an attribute by Lv100 (which is huge BTW) and EVs further increase both of these status as well, you can have a Pokemon with base 100 speed be slower than a Pokemon with base 90 speed just because of Nature alone and these do change the tide of battle pretty heavily.. Specially in late game as gym leaders start having Pokemons with 31IVs in everyting and EV trained and, at some point, even going beyond this limit.

Look, I would suggest downloading the debug-mode, it can allow you to change your Pokemons IVs and EVs so you can skip this grind, I don't recommend using it for anything else since it can be quite buggy and basically no one here will look down on you for using it if you're just cutting down the grind but if you don't wanna use it I suggest you either get to grinding or change the difficulty to Casual.

I want a challenge, but I want the challenge to be more about strategizing plays and not a challenge of "Oh no, this is the 50th Scorbunny without a decent attack or speed IV or WHY AM I ONLY GETTING SPEED REDUCING NATURES..." Lol. I don't mind resetting battles because of a poor play on my part, but I get really bored if all I am doing is resetting for decent IVs because RNG is not in my favor. Could you direct me to a link of a debug mod? I want to play on normal or intense mode so probably something that can adjust my IVs would be good for someone who is not patient with RNG like me. Thank you for your advice.

20 minutes ago, ohsnoes said:

I want a challenge, but I want the challenge to be more about strategizing plays and not a challenge of "Oh no, this is the 50th Scorbunny without a decent attack or speed IV or WHY AM I ONLY GETTING SPEED REDUCING NATURES..." Lol. I don't mind resetting battles because of a poor play on my part, but I get really bored if all I am doing is resetting for decent IVs because RNG is not in my favor. Could you direct me to a link of a debug mod? I want to play on normal or intense mode so probably something that can adjust my IVs would be good for someone who is not patient with RNG like me. Thank you for your advice.

Here you go: 

There's also instructions of how to use it too, be responsible with it tho' and only use it to change a Pokemon IVs, EVs and Nature, don't go too crazy and start spawning items or such because this may break your game, you've been warned (Also don't try to get the pokemon's IV and EVs above the usual as well, this will bug their status and get them into negative numbers, 31IVs on everything and 510p of distribution on EVs is the limit).

Just now, MhicKy said:

Here you go: 

There's also instructions of how to use it too, be responsible with it tho' and only use it to change a Pokemon IVs, EVs and Nature, don't go too crazy and start spawning items or such because this may break your game, you've been warned.

Thank you so much! I'm only going to use it to change IVs and Nature. I don't mind EV grinding. I want to play the game mostly as intended, just to get rid of the tedium of pressing F12 for an hour to get one ideal pokemon haha. Thank you again!

• Upvote 1

• Global Mods

I'd disagree and say worrying a lot about these things isn't particularly necessary on normal mode, especially for the first half of the game. The game also provides legitimate ways to optimize these things as you progress such as the nature mints, EV training rooms, power items, reduction berries etc, and even an IV fix, though that one in particular is pretty late.

• Like 1