Should I have my nature and EVs be the same on tanks?

pizzagod13

What I mean is should I have a Pokemon that I invest 252 defense into, also be bold, or would it be better for them to be calm for more defensive variety? Lately, I have started to do the second option and I am unsure if this is actually awful or not. 

I know this tends to vary from Pokemon to Pokemon, but I am just looking for some general advice. If you really want an example, then we can use my Clefable from my Fairy mono run, I went with 252 HP, 252 Defense and Calm nature. Would I be better off with Bold for more defense or is calm helpful too? 

Thanks

I mean, what is good changes from meta to meta. In conditions where you will need to fight a metric ton of varied pokemon and you never know which one to expect, i would say mixed option is always preferred as long as its warranted by stats. Clefable got kinda poop defensive stats, but they are close to equal atleast, so mixed defences work. For something like Blissey or Aggron it's absolutely not worth to even bother with their other defensive stat unless you want to use gimmick strategies. 

So IMO unless you prepare for a specific fight and want to counter specific phys or special pokemon, mixed will work best as long as the pokemon got stats to support it. 

11 hours ago, Cyphre said:

I mean, what is good changes from meta to meta. In conditions where you will need to fight a metric ton of varied pokemon and you never know which one to expect, i would say mixed option is always preferred as long as its warranted by stats. Clefable got kinda poop defensive stats, but they are close to equal atleast, so mixed defences work. For something like Blissey or Aggron it's absolutely not worth to even bother with their other defensive stat unless you want to use gimmick strategies. 

So IMO unless you prepare for a specific fight and want to counter specific phys or special pokemon, mixed will work best as long as the pokemon got stats to support it. 

Alright that is pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks

Personally I tend to do the second option too. (Boost one defense with EV and the other with nature)
But it also depends on the pokemon I am using.
For example, if I have a Steelix I will invest 252 in Special Defense and also have a Careful nature because Steelix physical defense is already very high compare to its special defense.

The issue is in these fangames you're gonna be fighting broken OP mons in broken OP fields so not having your good defensive stat maxed out could end up screwing you when you switch into a boosted Pokemon attacking on that side. Meanwhile on the other side you could still get ohkoed by some random non stab move that's just boosted by the field or coming from a rift mon or whatever. For example you might switch your mixed defense Clefable into a Garchomp and still get 2HKO-ed by Earthquake but then if you switch it into a Hydreigon on the special side you might just get 2HKO-ed by a combination of Dark pulse + Flash cannon because they're both field boosted or whatever. That's why I usually focus on speed + power in these games vs any type of defensive strat. But regardless you might be better off going all in on the one defensive stat and just never switching into a Pokemon attacking from the other side.