A fair critique about Held Items

MhicKy

Yo, how ya doin'?!
Anyway here is some backstory, like many here I started playing this game on v12 more than an year ago, perhaps 1 and a half(?), anyway.. As many people know, in v12 certain held items and the mega ring itself wasn't available to us for the sake of balancing the game, I understood at the time since mega evolutions do break some encounters by just having raw strength but held items are not that impactful so why not allow us to have them? v13 release and so did the mega evolutions but now I have this question on my head..

Why, oh why, are items like Leftovers, Flame Orb, Focus Sashes (multiple ones) and Choice Specs not available to us?!
I would say the impact of an item like Leftovers is way smaller than a mega evolution so it makes no sense to me why we can't have access to those items but megas are fine.. Everyone else has them, just the MC doesn't.. We are at a point that the game is pretty far in the end already and we still can't have those items.. what gives? Most of these held items only work in a niche as well so it isn't like they are super OP or anything, at least not more than megas..

I sure do hope that v13.5 get to add those items or, better yet, allow us to collect more stamps for the department store where we will be able to access higher levels where those items are available for purchase.

PS: Please do not take this post in a negative way, I still adore this game, I just feel like these items are taking way too long to be presented to the player since megas already were

The best items that we can have are the Plates LOL. I still use plates for my mons :)

But, there are some items you can at least... Rocket Helmet is avaiable now, Life Orb is avaiable (its a whole ass sidequest to get it, but cmon, its Life orb, even if the quest were 3 hours-long its worthy it), and Leftovers is avaiable via Pickup (get 5 mons with Pickup, DONT EVOLVE THEM (i mean, you cant... But its easier to level them up, y´know, the stuff about if a mon isnt evolved past it level to evolve, it will gain a small boost on xp, its easier in my opnion to level up them as babys), get them to lv 69 (because... You will get a nice luck) and just battle your way until you get your Leftovers

Pretty much every pokemon can abuse choice items. The reason why they seem fine in competitive, but too broken on Rejuvenation, is because you don't have to deal with prediction games. Choice locking yourself isn't as bad in a game as it is in competitive, because you'll be switching out anyways, knowing exactly what the opponent will do. This specially applies for switch mode, in which the restriction becomes basically inexistent, because you're prompted to switch out after every single turn.

Spoiler

Btw, you can actually get a leftovers and a choice band if you steal those items from the mandatory monotype team at the start of v13 

23 minutes ago, Gastronely said:

Pretty much every pokemon can abuse choice items. The reason why they seem fine in competitive, but too broken on Rejuvenation, is because you don't have to deal with prediction games. Choice locking yourself isn't as bad in a game as it is in competitive, because you'll be switching out anyways, knowing exactly what the opponent will do. This specially applies for switch mode, in which the restriction becomes basically inexistent, because you're prompted to switch out after every single turn.

Hide contents

Btw, you can actually get a leftovers and a choice band if you steal those items from the mandatory monotype team at the start of v13 

I do get that but we are already pretty far into, like, VERY FAR..
They should be available already, I get that Pickup can get Leftovers but it's still a chance and not an item that is guarantee to get.. I did managed to get a Black Belt by cheating in that training part by literally stealing it from the mons given to us but I am pretty sure that was a slip-up on Jan's part and not intended