Pokemon Fan Game Recommendations [Community WIP]

Fumble

might not work on this till summer oops rip finals haha

The revival! Again, feel free to suggest a game, because this is a community WIP (but please put it in the pros (+) / cons (-) format the others are in; it's really simple and saves more time for me)! But before we begin...

Henceforth, publicly askin' for or distributin' illegal files such as ROMs or cracked RPG Maker will be a warnable offense in the forum.

So that's a big no-no. Onto the list!

PROJECT SHOWCASE:

For those playable games on the Reborn forums that have been exceptionally well received. 

Pokemon Rejuvenation

The Aevium Region. A place that has seen better days. Once an intact region brimming with life, now torn into four pieces by an unknown force. This region needs help, and there's no one to turn to. No one, except you. Can you travel through the Aevium Region and collect all 18 badges? Can you discover the grim truth behind the region's destruction? Can you protect you and your friends against the criminal organization Team Xen? Who knows? You just might be able to. There's only one way to find out.

Pokemon Desolation

What is a dream? A series of thoughts? Images? Sensations? No, perhaps it's something more? Welcome to the Ayrith Region, a large land mass split into several islands. Ayrith is clouded in secret, with dealings going on in every back alley. However, somewhere deep down there's something more. Something no one predicted. You and your friends will uncover this secret, and go down in history.

Pokemon Spork

You and your big sister, Emily, are on vacation in the Ceolis region. Although both of you already have a Pokemon, they've just been pets for you up until now and so neither you or Emily have ever battled before. Along with exploring the region, you and Emily decide to try out the Ceolis League and test each others' skills along the way.

PROGRESSING PROJECTS SHOWCASE:

For those games on the Reborn forums that are still in a development phase, but have shown significant progress and promise.

Symphonic Horizon

In a region far away from all others, under the secrecy of an ancient veil, laid at rest the secret to the life force of all things. This life force was known as the Dragon Force, and flowed outwards from this region known as Lumia; this energy was the foundation for all life in the known world, and was controlled by an ancient artifact, known as the Arc Stone. However, an evil organization known as the Dark Fangs wanted to use the Arc Stone to remake the world in their own image, and because of that, a war broke loose among the people of Lumia, and the Dark Fangs. Due to the war, eight-years ago, the Arc Stone was used to re-stabilize the flow of Dragon Force by a young girl and her faithful friends. Once the world’s Dragon Force re-stabilized, the young girl and her companions split the Arc Stone into eighteen fragments, and hid them away in protected sanctuaries; so that no one could ever use the Arc Stone for evil ever again. As for the heroes who made all this happen, their efforts were all but in vain. The heroes were betrayed by one of their most loyal companions, and revealed himself to be the true leader of the Dark Fangs; he then struck his friends down, one-by-one, on the lonely coast of Dawn Beach. Upon their defeat, a grim fog began to take over the coast-side of Symphonic Beach, and leaving a mark of betrayal among all the people of Lumia. Feeling no remorse towards the actions he has caused, the boy temporarily disbanded his organization, and began plotting his next big ambition. However, all is not lost, as new heroes begin to make their arrival to stop the boy’s plan, and bring peace to the region of Lumia.

Pokemon Xenogene

Six years after moving to the Ivere region, you head out on a journey to challenge Ivere's Pokémon league after having been on a long wait list to receive your starter. But as a mysterious team which calls itself team Splicer stirs up trouble and some unknown, malevolent entities appear from the darkness, the region is cast under a shadow that will continue to stretch across universes unless someone puts a halt to it. Are you capable of finding the origins behind these occurrences? Or will you succumb to the lurking dangers?

All you can do is start your journey and find out!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

RGSS PLAYER FAN GAMES:

Those games created with RPG Maker XP in conjunction with Pokemon Essentials.

Pokemon Uranium

Spoiler

+ Over 150 new, well-designed Fakemon, some of which come with new Mega Evolutions

+ An original and interesting plotline, with some unique, developed characters (e.g. the rival Theo being an immature crybaby who tries to follow the protagonist)

+ A new typing in the Nuclear Type

+ Interesting and beautiful locations (e.g. Venesi City, a city heavily based on Venice, and the Anthell, a series of tunnels home to many Bug types)

+ A bit more of a challenge over a regular Pokemon game

- Theo can get extremely irritating

- Some NPCs' dialogue seem excessively rude/creepy

Pokemon Insurgence

Spoiler

+ A decent story line that can be dark at times or not that can be toggled through the options menu with a good amount of game play

+ New Mega Evolutions and Delta Pokemon: Pokemon with different typings and movesets, akin to those of the TCG

+ Unique starters if you choose a darker storyline - Delta Bulbasaur, Delta Charmander, Delta Squirtle, and Eevee (who can Mega Evolve)

+ Toggleable difficulty, with more difficulty than an average Pokemon game (but not too difficult) 

+ A whole lot of features such as Mystery Gifts, IV Stones, HM-replacing items, online trading/battling, Hidden Grottos, and customizable Secret Bases with helpful people

+ A huge variety of Pokemon and Items available

- Can try a bit too hard to be edgy sometimes

- Not yet completed, but Suzerain is working on Patch 1.2, where it will be completed

- Players may experience large quantities of disrespect by the NPCs early on (lol at shofu's playthrough)

Pokemon Zeta and Omicron

Pokemon Ethereal Gates

• Upvote 2

Hello! I think Pokemon Insurgence is a great gateway to pokemon fan games as it has many things going for it. 

Spoiler

+ A decent story line that can be dark at times or not that can be toggled through the options menu with a good amount of game play

+ Has lots of delta pokemon which are pokemon with different typings and movesets

+ Unique starters if you choose a darker storyline

+ Secret bases are in this game where you can do many things such as having your own EV trainer, EV resetter and even the old lady that delivers eggs to you when ready. Also, you can access other people's secret bases so you can capture their flags and explore their secret bases. 

+ Has plenty of pokemon available for capture

+ Has an inbuilt online system where you can trade and battle with other people (but you both need to be online and accept) 

+ Has mega evolutions and you will get access to them. Also, there are some crazy new mega evolutions.

+ It is more difficult than an average pokemon game, but not very difficult. The difficulty is toggleable as well which is nice. 

+ Has a tool system where you don't need any HMs but you will need the HM to get the tool in the first place. 

+ Breeding perfect pokemon is much easier due to having IV stones where you can give to someone and they will max out a specific stat, however, they are quite hard to come by. 

- Not yet completed, but Suzerain is working on patch 1.2 where it will be completed

- May experience a large quantities of disrespect by the npcs early on which can turn you off (lol at shofu's play through) 

19 hours ago, Shpee said:

Hello! I think Pokemon Insurgence is a great gateway to pokemon fan games as it has many things going for it. 

Hide contents

+ Has lots of delta pokemon which are pokemon with different typings and movesets

+ Unique starters if you choose a darker storyline

+ Secret bases are in this game where you can do many things such as having your own EV trainer, EV resetter and even the old lady that delivers eggs to you when ready. Also, you can access other people's secret bases so you can capture their flags and explore their secret bases. 

+ Has plenty of pokemon available for capture

+ Has an inbuilt online system where you can trade and battle with other people (but you both need to be online and accept) 

+ Has mega evolutions and you will get access to them. Also, there are some crazy new mega evolutions.

+ It is more difficult than an average pokemon game, but not very difficult. The difficulty is toggleable as well which is nice. 

+ Has a tool system where you don't need any HMs but you will need the HM to get the tool in the first place. 

+ Breeding perfect pokemon is much easier due to having IV stones where you can give to someone and they will max out a specific stat, however, they are quite hard to come by. 

- Not yet completed, but Suzerain is working on patch 1.2 where it will be completed

- May experience a large quantities of disrespect by the npcs early on which can turn you off (lol at shofu's play through) 

added ty

I'll update more in about a week, when I'm off from school

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Mods

I recently found a fangame called Pokemon Apex, which I think is really cool. I'm not finished with it yet, but I'm far enough in to describe it I think. 

Downloading it is a little different than most Essentials fangames. You need to download the Apex Launcher, which is similar to Uranium's patcher in that it finds and downloads the latest release of the game. After it downloads you can either play it from the game folder on your computer or launch it from the Apex Launcher. 

Currently it's in Build 5. It goes up to an area called Amon Desert. Although you can find info about the game from the link, I want to talk about it myself too and mention what's in the game and what I like about it. I'll try to be as brief as possible with the story to avoid spoiling too much. 

One thing the creator mentions about the game is that you'll need to think and not just power your way through battles. I've found this to mostly be true so far for me. The battle I struggled with the most was with a trainer that used Duskull, Shuppet, and Gastly, the first and last of which had Night Shade. These Pokemon were level 20, which is the same as my team since that's the first level cap. At around ~60 HP, it was definitely a struggle to KO Duskull before it KO'd one of my Pokemon. I think I won because it hurt itself from confusion. (Gastly went down quick from Confusion, due to being weak to the move and not having very good defenses) With Apex's level cap, Pokemon stop gaining EXP when you reach it. 

The starters for the game are Croagunk, Baltoy, and Cacnea. I haven't run into a Pokemon Center yet and I'm not sure they exist. There are however characters who will heal your Pokemon as well as an inn in the second city where you can sleep on a bed to heal them. About the level cap, it's not raised through badges. There is a league, but it doesn't seem to have Gym Leaders (there is a Champion though), and so far seems to not be relevant yet (at least where I am in the game) since it's only been mentioned by an NPC. I won't reveal how the level cap is raised because it involves story spoilers.

To briefly describe the story, you start out in a world based off Earth, where Pokemon don't exist and you're a normal high school student. You spend some time here before running into people from the villain team (not given a name yet at least where I am, but they wear cloaks that completely shroud their bodies) and through some encounters with them you end up in the Pokemon world. This is the prelude, and chapter 1 begins with you waking up in an area called Sagaxis Forest, without knowing where you are or how you got there. 

Another thing mentioned by the creator is that it rewards people who explore. You can interact with photos, telephones, TVs, sinks, cabinets, trash cans, etc. and your character will have reactions to them. Doing this in the high school will lead to your character talking about things they've done or how the teachers use them. I've also read there are secret caves. On the character, while you can choose your gender and name, you're a speaking protagonist with a set backstory. 

The graphics use FRLG tilesets, but there also seem to be custom tilesets for some areas too. I don't recognize any songs from the soundtrack, so I'm not sure if they're from a game I haven't played or if they were made by the creator. It has a lot of unique trainer classes, some of which even have different skin tones among them, like the Lolita trainers. Many can be rebattled through the Pokegear and the wild Pokemon are also close in level to them, so earning EXP isn't difficult. 

• Upvote 5

Hi! This seems like a streamlined overhaul to the former Game Rec. Community WIP. There were so much back then and I used to refer to that list a lot. When we say fangames does it include Pokemon Revolution Online (PRO) and PokeMMO? If yes i'd like to recommend PRO.

I've played most of these games and Reborn simply tops the list. Followed by Desolation as second. Both of their stories are just radical. Uranium gets third place for being very much like an official game. Insurgence in 4th since still in progress but pretty good. Rejuv, Zeta, Spork, Sage were just fine :) Currently waiting for Phoenix Rising and Azurite!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2017 at 0:50 PM, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

I recently found a fangame called Pokemon Apex, which I think is really cool. I'm not finished with it yet, but I'm far enough in to describe it I think. 

At your recommendation, ICSW, I picked up Apex the other day and started going through it. I must say, I quite like it. The atmosphere in the unique environments seems strangely serene despite tons of Pokemon battles occurring there. The Protagonist is just your average, everyday high school plucked from their life and placed in the land of Pokemon. 

Another neat little thing to note about the Pokemon availability is that the creator intends to revamp just about every fully evolved Pokemon to make them a little more viable. This is clear even from obtaining your starters, as Cacnea, Baltoy, and Croagunk all have improved base stats and learnsets. As an example, Baltoy now had more HP, Defense, Special Defense, and Special Attack at the cost of slightly lower speed. Plus, Baltoy now learns Recover by level-up to augment its bulk even further. All of the starters seem intriguing or interesting in their own ways, each having a different specialty with their new stats and moves. Baltoy is for defensive players, Cacnea for players who want to hit hard, and Croagunk for hitting fast. 

Ah yes, secret caves and hidden groves. In each area, once you reach the Pokemon world, there are 2 or 3 hidden areas only accessible by either paying close attention to the pixels on the walls to find the odd ones out or by doing what I do and just ramming myself into every wall tile until I find it. These hidden spaces offer incredibly valuable prizes to help you along early on, such as an Amulet Coin or a single Pokeball (which is important because normally you can't find these things until the second city so that you would be stuck with one Pokemon until then). Every area has one or two Pokemon who are quite strong that randomly appear, similar to Ralts in RSE/ORAS. These Pokemon are easily some of the best in the game atm and if you have the patience to wait for a 1% chance to find one, you can potentially gain a reliable ally in the long run. 

It is important to note that this game utilizes Generation V mechanics. Fairies don't exist, and Steel types are incredibly strong defensively. Also, Normal-types take Super Effective damage from Ghost moves, so those are no longer a switch in. 

All in all, while a little unpolished and small, given that this is only Alpha Build 5 (although the creator did recently say Build 6 would be out soon), the game seems like a fun one. The main story is unique from all the other fangames I've played to date which is a fair number, the characters seem quite genuine and natural, and there is certainly a fair amount of content to be discovered in the game so far.  I would say that Apex is certainly a game to watch the progression and development of into a larger and, ultimately, unique fangame.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2017 at 8:09 PM, seki108 said:

I'm not sure where Full Moon would go on this list, but Pokemon Prism can go under Rom Hacks and definitely holds quality for a rom hack.

I think it would go under RGSS Player Fan Games. Also, someone throw up Pokemon Adventure Red Chapter. It's an excellent ROM hack based on the manga, not the anime.

• 2 weeks later...

Top 3 Pokemon fan-games that I would suggest to (I will exclude Pokemon Reborn and Rejuvenation because if you are on this site, you probably already know of those :) ):

Pokemon Sage - Not yet completed, only one badge can be acquired at this time, but the designs of the Pokemon are amazing to the point that I didn't know which starter to choose. Also, the sound track is great and the graphics are top notch.

Pokemon Uranium - Not sure if you can find this game through legitimate ways anymore, but it was the first "complete" fan-game that I played and it was amazing. Bringing in a new typing in Nuclear Pokemon brought a different aspect in how to fight. The designs of the Pokemon are great as well.

Pokemon Alabaster - This game shocked me with the battle overlay. It actually takes what Pokemon Showdown had into a Pokemon fan-game when you battle wild Pokemon and trainers. You can start with 3 Pokemon that are not starters (very interesting) and go to a REAL TRAINERS SCHOOL. 1st Pokemon game to make a trainers school relevant. It only has 3 badges, but there is alot to do in between. Easily many hours of gameplay.

Hope you guys give these games a try.

On 3/1/2017 at 2:50 PM, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Downloading it is a little different than most Essentials fangames. You need to download the Apex Launcher, which is similar to Uranium's patcher in that it finds and downloads the latest release of the game. After it downloads you can either play it from the game folder on your computer or launch it from the Apex Launcher. 

Currently it's in Build 5. It goes up to an area called Amon Desert. Although you can find info about the game from the link, I want to talk about it myself too and mention what's in the game and what I like about it. I'll try to be as brief as possible with the story to avoid spoiling too much. 

One thing the creator mentions about the game is that you'll need to think and not just power your way through battles. I've found this to mostly be true so far for me. The battle I struggled with the most was with a trainer that used Duskull, Shuppet, and Gastly, the first and last of which had Night Shade. These Pokemon were level 20, which is the same as my team since that's the first level cap. At around ~60 HP, it was definitely a struggle to KO Duskull before it KO'd one of my Pokemon. I think I won because it hurt itself from confusion. (Gastly went down quick from Confusion, due to being weak to the move and not having very good defenses) With Apex's level cap, Pokemon stop gaining EXP when you reach it. 

The starters for the game are Croagunk, Baltoy, and Cacnea. I haven't run into a Pokemon Center yet and I'm not sure they exist. There are however characters who will heal your Pokemon as well as an inn in the second city where you can sleep on a bed to heal them. About the level cap, it's not raised through badges. There is a league, but it doesn't seem to have Gym Leaders (there is a Champion though), and so far seems to not be relevant yet (at least where I am in the game) since it's only been mentioned by an NPC. I won't reveal how the level cap is raised because it involves story spoilers.

To briefly describe the story, you start out in a world based off Earth, where Pokemon don't exist and you're a normal high school student. You spend some time here before running into people from the villain team (not given a name yet at least where I am, but they wear cloaks that completely shroud their bodies) and through some encounters with them you end up in the Pokemon world. This is the prelude, and chapter 1 begins with you waking up in an area called Sagaxis Forest, without knowing where you are or how you got there. 

Another thing mentioned by the creator is that it rewards people who explore. You can interact with photos, telephones, TVs, sinks, cabinets, trash cans, etc. and your character will have reactions to them. Doing this in the high school will lead to your character talking about things they've done or how the teachers use them. I've also read there are secret caves. On the character, while you can choose your gender and name, you're a speaking protagonist with a set backstory. 

The graphics use FRLG tilesets, but there also seem to be custom tilesets for some areas too. I don't recognize any songs from the soundtrack, so I'm not sure if they're from a game I haven't played or if they were made by the creator. It has a lot of unique trainer classes, some of which even have different skin tones among them, like the Lolita trainers. Many can be rebattled through the Pokegear and the wild Pokemon are also close in level to them, so earning EXP isn't difficult. 

Interesting! I think I might try to Lets Play it on my channel. Thanks for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently tried out Pokemon Apex and honestly have a less favorable review of it. Granted, I've barely reached the desert city, which I understand to be near the end of the current build anyway.

The game's story is very strong, nearly to the level of the 'Reborn/Rejuv/Desolation trio' strong. But the mechanics design seems contradictory. Others have mentioned that there's a major Pokeball shortage, but that shouldn't even be your main concern. The game does not even tell you that your party size is actually restricted to 3 Pokemon throughout the entire current game, until you either abruptly stumble onto that fact yourself or shortly after you reach the first major city. So you should only save your Pokeballs for 2-3 other Pokemon that you know you'll definitely use.

On the other hand, the low level cap also gives you an incentive to utilize Pokemon most people wouldn't normally use. Since you spend about 75% of the current game with a team of 3 at level 20 up until the end, most Pokemon you catch won't evolve, so trying to go for a competitive setup from the start isn't exactly the best idea. So using a Pokemon like Wurmple and evolving it into a Dustox or Beautifly (or using a 1 stage Pokemon) is actually a really, really good idea, because you spend a really, REALLY long time at level 20 with unevolved Pokemon otherwise. This also means that the creator is free to be more lenient on giving people certain rarer Pokemon in the early game stages, like Larvitar and Gible - for their true strength won't even bloom until much, MUCH later.

I don't exaggerate when I say you're stuck at level 20 for a super long period of time. I'm about 5 hours into the game so far, avoiding grinding as much as possible, and even I have a team of four Pokemon (one in storage) that have been Lv. 20 for 3 of the 5 hours. It appears I still have at least another 1-2 hours to go before I reach the point where the level cap is raised (and the end of the current build). This feels unnecessarily restrictive and also gives off the impression of poor gameplay pacing - on my way to the second city, I found myself just avoiding trainers as much as possible since your only incentive to battle at the level cap is for money or items blocked behind them. (The creator even seems to be aware of this - the vast majority of trainer battles seem to be deliberately positioned so the player can avoid them if necessary). The 3 Pokemon restriction basically meant that regardless of your Pokemon setup, you'd likely end up with major tactical holes in your team. And battles overall are much tougher than what I've observed in other Pokemon fangames, some trainers actually using items in combat.

Resource management also appears to be stressed to the max in this game. The game gives you an Amulet Coin early on for a reason, if you manage to find it. Shops also sell Ethers for a reason. The trek between the first and second city is absolutely brutal (essentially a route and a half, a moderately sized cave system, and another route and a half after that), AND there's a boss fight blocking entry into the second city (though there is one rest point in between and you do get one free heal upon entering the last route). And even in the second city itself, full party heals will actually cost you. (It appears that you can also get immediately teleported from the second city to the first as well after some point, but that will also obviously cost you.)

I still think it's a good game, but I also see it frustrating a lot of people - and perhaps becoming a clear example of a fangame with a major reverse difficulty curve as the game progresses.

Edited by Alilatias

• Global Mods
12 minutes ago, Alilatias said:

I've recently tried out Pokemon Apex and honestly have a less favorable review of it. Granted, I've barely reached the desert city, which I understand to be near the end of the current build anyway.

The game's story is very strong, nearly to the level of the 'Reborn/Rejuv/Desolation trio' strong. But the mechanics design seems contradictory. Others have mentioned that there's a major Pokeball shortage, but that shouldn't even be your main concern. The game does not even tell you that your party size is actually restricted to 3 Pokemon throughout the entire current game, until you either abruptly stumble onto that fact yourself or shortly after you reach the first major city. So you should only save your Pokeballs for 2-3 other Pokemon that you know you'll definitely use.

Back when I posted about Apex in here, I actually didn't know about the 3 Pokemon limit yet. It's something I definitely would've brought up if I knew it existed. I haven't actually finished the current build, so I don't know if the number of Pokemon you can have is raised when the level cap is. I made it nearly to the end of the build and was stuck at a puzzle I couldn't figure out. I tried looking for an answer but I found a post by the creator saying he doesn't give puzzle hints. Since this puzzle was legitimately beyond my critical thinking ability and I was afraid to ask for help because of the creator not offering help with puzzles, I had no choice but to give up. 

About needing to pay to heal in the desert city, Sayaka's grandmother will heal you for free in her house if you battled Sayaka in the route before. 

Just now, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

About needing to pay to heal in the desert city, Sayaka's grandmother will heal you for free in her house if you battled Sayaka in the route before. 

Ah. I meant to fight her, but the game keeps crashing for me every time I attempt to battle her. :/

(We should probably make another thread for this fangame...)

• Global Mods
Just now, Alilatias said:

Ah. I meant to fight her, but the game keeps crashing for me every time I attempt to battle her. :/

(We should probably make another thread for this fangame...)

Oh, I forgot about this error. I think I got around it by opening the Game.exe for the base build 5 instead of opening the game in the Apex Launcher. The bug started happening in a later patch for build 5 and didn't exist in the base version, so I was able to battle her there. 

So I have been playing Pokemon Legends of The Arena. It is still unfinished, currently 6 "tournaments" (similar to gyms) out of 8 have been done. It uses a 4th Gen layout with 5th gen movesets but up to 4th gen pokemon [Yeah Fairy pokemon, 5th, 6th and 7th gen does not exist, TM's can be used only once, etc]. It has barely any bugs, so the game runs very smoothly.

This post really sums up my reaction towards it (copied from a reddit post): "I find that this game, however, is refreshing in that it doesn't even attempt having such a plot, it's a sibling rivalry tale during a regional tournament. It's proof that a good writer can make anything work. The wit and humor in this game can brighten anyone's day. That alone is why I actually rank a lot to be on the same level as the ultra popular fangames Reborn and Insurgence." 

I love the fact that the protagonist has a personality and actually speaks. The maps and the music is very refreshing, definitely a good turnaround the basic pokemon 8 gym formula.

It has a slow beginning, you will be needing to take your time to train some pokemon before progressing because other trainer's pokemon level up pretty quickly, but after you spend that time at the beginning, later on you will be ok for the rest of the story. Some mythical pokemon such as Celebi and Manaphy are obtainable. My current rotation team is: Ampharos, Vaporeon, Typhlosion, Heracross, Porygon 2 and Crobat and it has worked fine.

Here is the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legendsofthearena/comments/3gzbzf/pokémon_legends_of_the_arena_12/

5 hours ago, kingjrcasanova said:

So I have been playing Pokemon Legends of The Arena. It is still unfinished, currently 6 "tournaments" (similar to gyms) out of 8 have been done. It uses a 4th Gen layout with 5th gen movesets but up to 4th gen pokemon [Yeah Fairy pokemon, 5th, 6th and 7th gen does not exist, TM's can be used only once, etc]. It has barely any bugs, so the game runs very smoothly.

This post really sums up my reaction towards it (copied from a reddit post): "I find that this game, however, is refreshing in that it doesn't even attempt having such a plot, it's a sibling rivalry tale during a regional tournament. It's proof that a good writer can make anything work. The wit and humor in this game can brighten anyone's day. That alone is why I actually rank a lot to be on the same level as the ultra popular fangames Reborn and Insurgence." 

I love the fact that the protagonist has a personality and actually speaks. The maps and the music is very refreshing, definitely a good turnaround the basic pokemon 8 gym formula.

It has a slow beginning, you will be needing to take your time to train some pokemon before progressing because other trainer's pokemon level up pretty quickly, but after you spend that time at the beginning, later on you will be ok for the rest of the story. Some mythical pokemon such as Celebi and Manaphy are obtainable. My current rotation team is: Ampharos, Vaporeon, Typhlosion, Heracross, Porygon 2 and Crobat and it has worked fine.

Here is the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legendsofthearena/comments/3gzbzf/pokémon_legends_of_the_arena_12/

Ha, I was the one that wrote that comment. LoTA is not a hard fangame compared to the likes of Reborn (anyone coming from Reborn will pretty much steamroll the fangame outside of a few boss battles), but the fangame's presentation is so good that its very existence is a strong argument for the idea that writing and world design is just as important as gameplay. It's also pretty much the best fangame to do a blind LP of, I had far more laughs watching shofu play through LoTA compared to all the other Pokemon fangames he's LP'd.

I've been keeping a close eye on this project for years, though, and it appears that the creator's last activity on Reddit was 7 months ago - which does worry me a bit, but the creator has repeatedly said that the next release is the finishing update for the game, which was originally going to be two chapters.

For people considering playing the fangame, there's a few important things to note.

- Your starter is an Eeveelution, exactly which one is determined by a personality quiz. Level-up movesets have been altered to make all of them consistently viable. (It's also important to note that, to my knowledge, Glaceon is the only ice-type currently available in the game thus far.)

- Game mechanics only go up to Gen 4. That means no Gen 5 and above Pokemon, Electric Pokemon can still be paralyzed, and powder moves still work on grass types. And Steel still resists everything under the sun.

- TMs are not infinite use. The creator has said that he did this so he could give more powerful TMs early on, but the player will have to think about which Pokemon to give it to.

- The few HMs that are currently available have been majorly buffed. Cut is now a 70 power Grass move. Rock Smash has also been buffed to 70 power.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Pokemon Apex, the game actually updated to Build 6 yesterday.

My impression of the game is a bit more favorable after I reached the end of Build 5, although I still think you spend way too much time with the level cap at 20 (I literally avoided every optional fight in the desert leading up to the tower since there was no real reason to fight them beforehand unless you wanted to burn through all of your supplies, and elected to save their EXP for after the cap was raised). Maybe I should try to contact the creator to see if this could be improved somehow.

Again, the game's here: http://apex.iamvishnu.net/

If you already have downloaded the game and use the launcher, just simply boot up the launcher to download build 6.

(Yes, I'll make a thread for real this time. In the morning.)

Edited by Alilatias

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So I recently came across a newer fangame called Postscriptum.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=404291

It's a very interesting fangame, mainly due to how -different- its premise is compared to literally every other fangame out there. It seems to focus heavily on issues such as how one views themselves personally, as well as wealth inequality and corruption on a societal level.

Just be aware though, expect to lose. A lot. You'll understand why, considering the setting and premise. The game probably has the most interesting fakemon starter I've ever seen, a Delibird pre-evo called Deliby, which seems to function as a physical glass cannon, but it appears you can also build it as a spikes/hail staller, though I wouldn't recommend the latter at the start. I'm about 3-4 hours in and I still haven't found a way to acquire another Pokemon. Also, go to the courier branch and do your first mission ASAP, there's no point to exploring the city before you acquire your first Pokemon. Also, head to the abandoned university ASAP once you're done with your first mission, the progression appears to assume that you're going there first in order to grind against wild Pokemon/obtain a ton of potions/full heals.

The game also has some of the most hilarious writing I've ever seen, which is great for balancing out the overall tone of the game.

EDIT: I've gotten a lot further into the game, and I have to say... This fangame definitely ranks up there as among the best, IMO. And it's barely starting! The narrative is incredibly powerful. The quality of the writing is comparable to Legends of the Arena, if LotA had a darker setting.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I need some help. I'd play Pokemon Reborn to fill up my time but since I had to start over (DAMN YOU CORRUPTIONS I WAS IN THE ORPHANAGE) I don't really have the motivation to play through that all again since I saw it so many times. Any ideas? I'm thinking of replaying Rejuvenation or Insurgence but I wanna hear from you guys (and gals) first. 

PS: I had no idea where to put this topic.