Torchic or Froakie?

DecShep

I want to start a new game soon, once I'm all caught up on my current one. Now having a better idea of how the game works and being more careful to catch certain pokes or certain items, plus make different choices.

But now I'm deciding between Torchic and Froakie. From what I understand they are the best starters, and I guess Snivy for the grass type? But meh. 

They both have advantages. SB Blaziken will hit hard and fast plus bulk up will make him even stronger plus extra def. Whereas with Froakie, with protean he's incredibly versatile and can be useful against almost anyone. On the downside, my current playthrough I used Infernape, so I'm not sure about getting another Fire/Fighting starter. With Greninja, as great as his usefulness is, he doesn't get access to many useful moves that take advantage of that until very very late game. 

So I'm curious on others' thoughts and who may help me have a better idea of who I'd like. Thank you!

Hey there, i always preferred to start with fennekin.  Its ultimate evolution Delphox rocks. Dual type fire/psychic , special Attacker. With stab attacks like mystical fire/flamethrower & psyshock/psychic and other moves, it will be a solid dual pokemon for sometime.

• Like 1

As you mentioned, Greninja is hindered much by the lack of TMs/Tutors, and you will feel that until very late in the game. Torchic is an easy mode. Generally, fire starters are the best choice, but on the other hand, you have access to growlithe early in the game.

I used greninja in my current playthrough and I was quite happy with it throughout. Early on, changing your type is extremely useful, even if your moveset is like water pulse, smack down, lick and quick attack(the latter two can be quite fun to invalidate normal/fighting/ghost attacks, even if they're weak). In the midgame it suffers a lot from the lack of good TM's, but sometime around the agate circus it becomes good again thanks to surf, grass knot and dark pulse (among many other options).

On the other hand, blaziken is imo downright broken. Ever since it got Speed Boost, it has been in Uber, and for good reason.

As the others have said, picking torchic is basically playing Reborn on easy mode. You'll have no trouble tearing through gyms with it. (I picked treecko this time around and I have never been so frustrated). If you're going for torchic (and I'm rooting for you to pick torchic) make sure you reset until you have speed boost. Speed boost blaziken is a force to be reckoned with.

Hmm well now that I have you rooting for me, I feel I have to pick him now. Also, as much as Grenny is my favorite water starter, his lack of TMs until Agate makes me nervous so I'm definitely hesitant to pick him. 

Luckily since there's an ability capsule in the beginning, I can make sure I get good IVs/nature but not be too worried if I end up getting blaze. That's what I did with my Infernape. Jolly plus all it's IVs were 25+

• Like 1

In fact, Greninja is more of a Swiss knife due to his Protean ability while Blaziken makes a pushover of almost all the Reborn Gym Leaders. The Speed Boost + Bulk Up combo is a no-brainer that can bypass all the physical opponents as from the very start of the game. Therefore, Greninja requires you to choose your moves more strategically, and turns out to be a marvelous asset for your team if used with a diversified moveset.

21 hours ago, Egzample said:

Generally, fire starters are the best choice.

Flannery approved your statement 💥 🔥

• Like 2

I have used a lot of different starters in many playthroughs.

I was hard pressed to find a worse starter than froakie.

- He has a terrible level up movepool

- Mediocre stats and lack of power

- Bad matchups early game

- Dead weight until move relearner, when he finally becomes somewhat useful

- Lack of synergy with available team members and terrains