Under 450 - Challenge Run

Edo

Update #16

The next update is finally ready. It took a long time to explore the desert and beat Titania.

Also fought Taka when I arrived in the desert, but the battle entailed lots of stalling, so it’s quite boring. Here it is, nevertheless.

Battle VS: Taka

Titania, on the other hand, was absolutely frustrating, I kept losing for days. At first it seemed like an easy fight, but then the AI suddenly started doing random stuff that totally threw me off and which made predicting her moves very difficult.

Will-o-Wisp and Reflect were basically key to victory. Not only do they decrease the damage, they also force the AI to use Swords Dance, which, in turn, I can predict and abuse to easily defeat threats like Excadrill and Scizor by using Foul Play directly afterwards. After a while though the AI started using Swords Dance or damaging moves irregularly, not at the moments it usually did, which is what I meant by the AI becoming unpredictable.

Battle VS: Titania

I gave Kecleon a Quick Claw so it can outspeed Sandslash.

Later against Scizor I swapped it out cause even with Fire Punch it only does a third of its total HP (changed to Fire+Dragon type), and Foul Play was my only other way of defeating it. Luckily Scizor used two Swords Dances so it could one-hit KO Sableye, which it needed due to Reflect. If it had gone for Bullet Punch after only one Swords Dance, it would’ve been able to survive one Foul Play and kill Sableye on the following turn, likely leading to a loss for me.

At the end against Aegislash instead of using Protect on the first turn I misclicked 😨 I felt so anxious because it took me three days to get this far and now it looked like I’d lose due to my stupid mistake. Luckily it still worked out.

Update #17

Right after Titania it's Amaria's turn. My team was well suited against hers, so the fight was pretty easy. At least it was in Singles. I tried battling her in Doubles before, but she totally destroyed me with Surf spam 😅

Battle VS: Amaria

Next up will be the Glass Factory 😓

Update #18

Wow, I managed to beat the scariest part of Reborn. The rest of E18 should be easy now, haha.

Since I made some minor changes regarding hold items and moves, here’s an overview of my team for the Glass Factory Gauntlet.

Team_Glass_gauntlet.png?width=705&height

As always I used my favorite strategy for Double Battles: Leave weak mons alive and gang up on the other one. Ribombee in battle #1, and Clefable in battle #3, aren’t very strong, in fact they’re the weakest mons of their trainer’s team. As soon as one side is taken care of, it’s basically a 2 on 1 and the rest of the battle becomes really easy.

Battle VS: Cain and Shelly

After completely failing several times I got the hang of the first battle and made it through pretty fast.

Battle VS: Mysterious Figure #1

But getting through the second fight without losing a pokemon was a real headache, because Gothitelle’s Shadow Tag would doom whichever pokemon was battling at the moment. I restarted the gauntlet so I could give Azumarill a Lax Incense to make Absol and Gothitelle miss some attacks. And when it finally happened, they made it even easier for me by boosting themselves instead of attacking.

Battle VS: Mysterious Figures #2 & #3

Same strategy as in battle #1, but they were kinda stronger than Cain and Shelly so it was much harder to pull off this time. If not for those misses thanks to the Lax Incense, it might’ve become a much closer fight.

Only a little bit left now.

1 hour ago, jbastian1 said:

You can use Vivillon- you win.

Vivillon might have been really good, but I didn't want to train too many pokemon, it just feels too tedious for me after Lv 50. Just tried several at first to see which will do best and slowly narrowed it down. From halfway into the game I basically only had a team of 6, with Pachirisu occasionally there for Double Battles and the latecomer Tangela because I wanted to at least try something with Eviolite.

Update #19

At last, this is the final update. Enjoy the last two battles.

There isn't much to comment on those. They were pretty easy, so I was done after like one or two tries, hence why my plays seem kinda bad sometimes, but whatever.

Battle VS: Solaris

Batlle VS: Hardy

And with this, I’m finally done. This was my first challenge run ever and it was really fun.  

Also thanks to everyone for all the advice and suggestions.

27 minutes ago, Anti-Loser said:

Congratulations Edo

You did it man 

🙌

Who did you consider in your team the MVP?

Thanks  😄

MVP was definitely Kecleon, closely followed by Togedemaru. Those two carried most of the weight in my opinion, getting me through tough situations the others couldn't.

Dugtrio and Azumarill were great as well, but I feel like I relied much less on them during late game, which was unarguably the most difficult part.

7 hours ago, Siv said:

Ayy congrats on finishing!

I'm almost done myself, just about to do the factory gauntlet.

Any plans for a different kind of challenge run?

Thank you

Good luck, and feel free to post your own team here after you're finished.

Nah, I want to concentrate on my studies right now. But when E19 comes out, I might pick this up again to finish it.

13 hours ago, Edo said:

Thank you

Nah, I want to concentrate on my studies right now. But when E19 comes out, I might pick this up again to finish it.

Got a surgery coming up so will be a bit before I finish up, but when I do I'll post it for sure.

Fair play, good luck with your studies!

On 3/1/2020 at 7:26 AM, Edo said:

Fuck it, decided to bang it out before the surgery.

Team I used for the Gauntlett:

Macey - Beedrill (F) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
- X-Scissor - Acrobatics - Poison Jab - Protect

Kara - Rotom (N) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
- Hex - Discharge - Will-o-Whisp - Light Screen/Reflect

Cammy - Kecleon (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
- Shadow SNeak - Drain Punch - Fire Punch - Sucker Punch

Pua - Piloswine (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Snow Cloak
- Stealth Rock - Ice Shard - Earthquake - Toxic / Hail

Storm - Alolan Sandslash (F) @ Life Orb/Chople Berry
Ability: Slush Rush
- Stone Edge - Icicle Crash - Iron Head - Protect

Haley - Alolan Marowak (F) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
- Flare Blitz - Bonemarang - Will-O-Wisp - Shadow Bone

Was tough man, took me a while to get through it.

Solaris wasn't as hard as I expected, Stealth Rocks does a lot of work (especially vs Focus Sash users) + Hail Slush Rush combo took care of his Garchomp with no problem.

I tried to keep my team different to yours but Kecleon and Rotom are just so good, I've no idea who would be able to replace them.

I'm swapping Haley out for my Seadra for Hardy.

Kira - Seadra (F) @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
- Brine - Scakd - Dragon Pulse - Aurora Beam

Might make use of my Quagsire, too.

Blue - Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
- Waterfall - Earthquake - Recover - Hail

Putting Brick Break on Storm for Hardy, too.

If sweeping with Slush Rush is too easy I might try to figure out something else.

Don't expect Hardy to be too troublesome.

Yeah, Hardy's done.

Quagsire, Piloswine, A.Sandslash, Kecleon, Seadra and Rotom took care of him with no problems lol.

This has honestly been a super fun run, a brilliant idea for a challenge run! Was getting kinda stuck (bored) with my monotypes, but this was incredibly fun.

Thanks for the run!

Edited by Siv
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Siv said:

Fuck it, decided to bang it out before the surgery

Oh nice, good job.

Your team's looking good. How was Piloswine? Looks pretty nice with eviolite and Snow veil.

Edited by Edo

On 3/3/2020 at 9:30 AM, Edo said:

Oh nice, good job.

Your team's looking good. How was Piloswine? Looks pretty nice with eviolite and Snow veil.

Worked great! Wouldn't have made the Gauntlet without Piloswine.

double battle was just set up Stealth Rocks, use Earthquake + Protect on Beedrill then finish them off with prio Ice Shard and Beedrill's speed, then Earthquake + Protect again, rinse n repeart until Beedrill faints then set up Hail, get Sandslash with Slush Rush in and keep it going.

Felt a little cheesy haha but it was kind of cool. I've never really utilized Protect as much until now.

And even with Fighting weakness he was able to deal with Weavile's Low Kick in the following battle, that bit really surprised me. Definitely my MVP for the Gauntlet and against Hardy, too. Stealth Rocks on that field is kind of silly.

I considered trying out Aurora Veil but I couldn't make it work, felt like too much had to be set up and I couldn't think of a decent Pokemon to use for the set up while keeping Piloswine's moveset.

Gotta do a shout to A Marowak too, carried a lot of early gyms for me and got very scary once Iron Head became available. Rock Head + Flare Blitz has been super strong. Gave him defensive EVs so he could take a few hits (248 HP/80 Atk/180 Sp.D) and it worked beautifully.

And with Kecleon's Trick Room, wowza.

Felt like I had a really nice team going, Piloswine could take a lot of Phys attacks and then Kecleon + Marowaks Sp.D to cover the Special attackers.

This was honestly the most fun challenge run I've done so far ha. I really enjoyed it. I've never used any of the mons in my team before, except Seadra and Piloswine but I'd ofcourse always evolve them.

Thought of trying out Togetic w/ Eviolite, too but I didn't want to train up a new Mon at that point lol.

So genuinely thanks for the idea, was a blast. Been a while since I had to put this much thought into a run ha.

How did you come up with Kecleon and the EVs for him btw? It worked absolutely amazing, like you wrote earlier he was incredible throughout the run. Those moments when you predict a normal or fighting move and use Shadow Sneak haha, or a quick Sucker Punch. Love Protean and Prio moves. Imagine him with Power-Up Punch! Against the rules though, ha. Amazing utility that Mon has to offer, it really is.

Edited by Siv

3 hours ago, Siv said:

So genuinely thanks for the idea, was a blast. Been a while since I had to put this much thought into a run ha.

How did you come up with Kecleon and the EVs for him btw? It worked absolutely amazing, like you wrote earlier he was incredible throughout the run. Those moments when you predict a normal or fighting move and use Shadow Sneak haha, or a quick Sucker Punch. Love Protean and Prio moves. Imagine him with Power-Up Punch! Against the rules though, ha. Amazing utility that Mon has to offer, it really is.

Glad to hear that.

For Kecleon's EVs, Att EVs were basically mandatory, or else I imagine it would've been really weak. As for the defensive EVs, a specialized mon performs a certain role much better than an average one, so increasing the already high SpDef makes Kecleon a better special tank. HP would've been a good alternative and helped tank some physical hits, but from the start I planned to give it Assault Vest which profits more from higher SpDef.

By the way, the last rule about no boosting was just optional, it's not really part of this challenge's idea, so you didn't need to follow it. But now that you did, you can be even prouder of yourself haha 😂

3 hours ago, Edo said:

By the way, the last rule about no boosting was just optional, it's not really part of this challenge's idea, so you didn't need to follow it. But now that you did, you can be even prouder of yourself haha 😂

Oh yeah I got that haha, I just liked the idea because I've had an easy time in the past by setting up boosts and then sweeping, this made it a lot more interesting.

A rule I'm thinking of applying to some of my Mono runs if I ever start those up again!