I need Rock Smash to work but Corey never gave me a badge

Kokoro

Okay so I dunno if this is the right place to post, but...

I finally defeated Corey, but never got a badge from him (and how the story goes, you know why). HOWEVER, the part where you go down a hole in the main stairway and I have to find somebody... I got rock smash from a guy I met down there, but unfortunately, whilst the move can be used in battle I am unable to use it outside of battle since it needs a third badge to work. And it seems without being able to smash rocks, I can't go any further in this cave. Is there something I am missing? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, WSGreen said:

You need to beat Shelly and get her badge before you can use rock smash

Currently, Shelly doesn't want to battle, so I am unsure what to do from here. The cave seems pretty blocked with rocks, unless there is an area I am missing? I'll investigate further.

Edited by Kokoro

The only area of the crystal cave that requires Rock Smash is that in which the mining kit is obtained (by talking to a hiker) but that's an optional area. 
To progress the story, you just need to jump down the (literal) far right side of the sandhills. This will deposit you on a platformed ledge where there is a latter a few steps down. This latter proceeds to the deepest area where the story takes place. 

Shelly's badge is the official 3rd and that which unlocks Rock Smash. The missing poison badge from the Corey battle is supplanted later, as the 5th badge. 
To unlock the Shelly battle, you need to talk to her and Victoria in her gym after the cave event, visit the Orphanage, then talk to Shelly and Victoria again. 

Edited by Verge Of Chaos
  • Like 1