[IC] TotMV:G^2: Touhou: Twilight of Paradise Butterfly

Chevaleresse

Instructor, who was still wearing the maid uniform's frilly headdress, turned to Rory, asking, "If I may ask... why do you believe I may be a security risk? Is there some authorization code I need to present? Have other synths been hostile to you or the group? Are the Trespassers we need to fight rogue electronic sentience? Their exact nature was... not made clear.

Furthermore, what, if anything, can I do to gain your trust?"

Rory, having not been paying much attention at that point only really tuned in to the fact that Instructor had been talking to them about midway through. Still, using context clues she figured out what they were talking about. "I can't say what exactly the trespassers are, but that is a possibility for what one could be as far as I know. As for why I think you're a risk... You remind me of robots from my home. They were made by the Schnee Dust Company which has a history of oppressing my people, and in general just made my life harder...." Rory looks like she's debating whether to say anything more or not before finally finishing. "In short, no, I don't think you can do anything to earn my trust."

Instructor’s mouth curled into yet another frown as she solemnly nodded. “I see.”

“May I at least have your name? In case you didn’t hear earlier, I am...” the gynoid seemed to hesitate for a moment, “Instructor Prototype.”

Rory nods at the, rather justifiably late, introduction. "My name is Rory... Instructor Prototype is a bit of a mouthful, mind if I just call you IP instead?" Rory smirks to themselves, amused at the fact that the nickname would be somewhat fitting.

IP nodded in response to receiving the new moniker. "Very well. I suppose I should tell you more about myself than my name and position..."

"I was manufactured by Kaida Corporation as part of an electronic sentience project. A human consciousness in an android body. My colleagues and I were referred to collectively as 'Synths', and we were intended to fulfill a variety of combat-related roles that humans could fulfill - reconnaissance, riot control, long-range target elimination, CQB - and, in my case, combat support. While the results of the project were successful, an improved manufacturing process and combat algorithms meant that much simpler android soldiers could be produced much more quickly than us - and at a much lower cost. We were placed into storage, and were only recently removed. It seems that some electronic sentiences - likely the ones in charge of commanding the simpler androids - chose to go rogue... betraying Kaida Corporation." IP went quiet for a while after that, before continuing, "We were tasked with finding and destroying the artifact they were attempting to activate... I cannot tell you more than that at this time."

"Now, for what I can contribute to the team. While I was able to acquire a weapon before I was transported here, my intended role is combat support - I can heal allies and increase the damage their attacks inflict. Even if such skills are not needed, the shield I acquired can improve my durability, allowing me to serve as an effective distraction in combat."

"What role do you serve in combat, Rory? The more I know about my allies, the more I know which ones may be in need of my assistance, and what tactics they might adopt."

LOTUS fell silent for a moment, contemplating: this actually contradicted her earlier assumptions and therefore her understanding of the situation would need correcting immediately in order to be able to make well-informed decisions. ”Hmm. By the sounds of it — and the lack of remark about any sort of corruption of the artifact, which I’m sure would be noticed — perhaps these artifacts aren’t actually corrupted and the similarity to what we were previously dealing with is merely a coincidence. Now, with that said, I find myself wondering in turn: does this artifact seem to you to originate from this place, or from elsewhere? I doubt we’ve been brought in to deal with a wholly internal matter.”

Rory started to just point to their shield as an explanation, but, figured that'd be overly rude even for her. "I'm a gunlancer. So I mostly defend against monster attacks and can deal a bit of damage with my wyrmstakes. But for the majority of the time I make enemies focus on me since I can take more blows that other people."

"Ah, so you fulfill a role of 'tank'. Excellent! The medical injector I possess can help reduce the amount of pain you feel from attacks in addition, allowing you to remain in the fight for longer.

"While I do still have questions to ask you, I suppose I should speak to the other members of the team now. Thank you for your time... I promise I won't let you down." And with that solemn nod, IP moved away from Rory and began approaching Empi instead.

"Excuse me, miss. Is it all right if we at least introduced ourselves properly?"

Empi looks up from checking her phone for reception idly and instinctively. There wasn't any, again. It was something comforting to do, but a little futile.
"Inhalers are...uhh, these tiny things that spray medicine for asthma. Of course, thinking about it, I'm pretty sure this pllace doesn't have the concept of asthma. Also....fish-headed people? Okay, I know Trespassers are supposed to be Lovecraft's wet dream, but I didn't know we needed to find guys with the Innsmouth look."

Then Instructor.

"Sure, why not, since we got ourselves off on the wrong foot. Doctor Empi Powderbelle, pleasure to meet you."

"Instructor Prototype. I take it your role is to provide the others with medical aid when it is needed? If so, our roles overlap.  Which members of our team do you believe are most likely to be injured in combat?"

Instructor paused, then asked, "And, if I may ask... Why were you so suspicious of me when I first arrived? Have you also had unpleasant experiences with electronic sentiences?"

Empi shakes her head.

"No, not THAT kind of doctor. My doctorate is in Interpersonal Relationships and Matchmaking. I'm....not exactly suited for fighting, as you might say. As for suspicion? Like I said, everyone else around here either shot at us, got possessed by those artifacts and then shot at us, or gives me weird vibes. I assumed you were part of the circus."

“Interpersonal relationships and matchmaking... an unusual skillset for someone who may find themselves in combat. If I may ask, how did you join this team, and what applications for your skills have you found thus far?”

IP asked both questions question with complete seriousness, waiting patiently for answers.

"I kinda less joined and more had nowhere else to go. See, my boss decided to branch out into multiversal matchmaking but neglected to tell me that our company phone plan doesn't exactly cover other universes. So I can't exactly call my boss to tell her she sent me the wrong directions AND that she REALLY needs to outsource this stuff. As for matchmaking, do you really think I could hook these people up with anyone? What do you think I am, a miracle worker? Man, some of these people don't need a matchmaker, they need a shrink, and I ain't no shrink."

“It sounds as though your employer made an... unfortunate mistake.

”As for your attempts to matchmake others... I’m afraid I may not be much help. I can, at most, only attempt to teach the team some of the lessons that I was programmed to teach - and if their reaction to my arrivial was any indication, there is every possibility that they will not listen.

”What issues are you referring to specifically, Miss Powderbelle? You have worked with this team longer than I have, and I will need to know their behavior in order to best assist them.

”And do you mean to say you have found no use for your skills whatsoever? While I understand you are not a miracle worker, I doubt your employer, fallible as she may be, would send you into an environment you were completely unsuited for.”

"Well, it's not like she deliberately sent me here. I was supposed to hook some shy dork of a shopkeeper with his supermodel total girl-next-door type neighbor and instead ended up seeing more alien wing-wong lookalikes than I'd really like. As for issues....hoo boy. Freud would have a damn field day here. A shrink would make millions writing about the issues these people have. You got a dash of PTSD, two cups full of grief, a pound of homesickness, three teaspoonfuls of being completely lost, and just taking a nice dollop of depression and heap it ALL over the whole psych ward sandwich.

Like I said, I'm not a miracle worker. I'm not even going to try to hook most of these people up. I can deal with social anxiety - after all, most of my clients need that kind of help, otherwise they wouldn't need my help to get laid- but how the hell am I supposed to help you deal with your world being rendered into a smoking ruin? I mean, I try, but I can only do so much."

Instructor was frowning yet again as Empi described the situation. "I... see... I'm... afraid I am similarly unable to help the team with those particular issues. I was only designed for combat and instructing others in combat, and am not equipped for any form of therapy.

And what of your skills in combat? In the event more people begin shooting at us, what can you do to ensure the group's victory, if anything?"

IP’s frown deepened a little.

“So you have nothing? No means of dealing damage, reducing damage, treating injuries, or bolstering the strength of the team?

If that is the case... I advise you stay out of the way in the event we face combat. I can’t allow non-combatants to be injured.”

IP then added, “Then again, perhaps I could train you in the use of weapons. It is, after all, what I was created for.”

Edited by AzyWng

"Can you explain what this magic is capable of? I'm asking this because I'll need to know what role each team member will play, and how I can most effectively support them in battle. And... What does being a fairy entail, exactly? I have only ever worked with humans, and even then, I've never participated in an operation of this scale with said humans."

“Ah, I see... then it seems you fulfill a role similar to mine. You see, while your description of ‘terminator with a medkit’ is succinct, it is not wholly accurate. In addition to eliminating enemies and treating injuries, I can also improve the accuracy and overall damage output of my allies’ weapons, in addition to guiding their attacks.

Though... the fact that you are not accustomed to combat is... distressing. If you wish, I will assist you in returning to your world however I can, though I am inexperienced in such matters.”

This time IP's frown was one more of confusion than sadness, but that quickly turned to distress.

"Wait, I don't understand. Our... employer not only brings people in without their knowledge or consent - they also bring in civilians? One civilian being recruited - even without being informed, being given a contract, or having the right skillset for the job all at once - can be written off as a mistake. A second, however? A second begins to look more like a pattern...

"But I suppose that's irrelevant. What do you mean "help out from time to time"? I'm afraid I only agreed to help you return to your own world... There is every possibility my creators will not permit me to assist you once order in my world is restored."