[Episode 18 Spoiler] Puzzle Question

GB58

So I was going to start the Meteor base puzzle, when I noticed that both of my boards had a duplicate number. I was thinking that maybe is was supposed to be like that, but then I also noticed that each board was missing the same number that the other board had a duplicate of (if that makes sense). So I just wanted to make sure that the puzzle was correct for me, before I spend the next hour on this lol. Also, I'm not sure if we're supposed to be able to rotate the tiles horizontally, but I can't.

board1.PNG

board2.PNG

1 hour ago, wcv said:
  Hide contents

You can move the numbers between boards. Not sure what you mean by rotate horizontally. You can move the rows however. Use the console in the middle for that.

Never noticed that the middle panel said rows (that's what I meant by horizontally). Thanks for the info :)

1 hour ago, Slith265 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Where is this puzzle located?

Spoiler

After you liberate a certain city from Team Meteor a woman in the building next to the Pokemon Center will want a password. When you accept her side-quest go back to the Team Meteor HQ

Spoiler

Devon Corp.

You'll be able to use the Meteor ID to open a new area which will contain the puzzle. Its really daunting at first, but much easier than it appears.

4 hours ago, wcv said:
  Hide contents

After you liberate a certain city from Team Meteor a woman in the building next to the Pokemon Center will want a password. When you accept her side-quest go back to the Team Meteor HQ

Reveal hidden contents

Devon Corp.

You'll be able to use the Meteor ID to open a new area which will contain the puzzle. Its really daunting at first, but much easier than it appears.

Spoiler

I managed to solve one of the 3x3 grids, and one row of the other but I'm struggling to progress further and I'm not sure my strategy is sound. Do you have any tips on how to approach this puzzle? Should I be solving rows or columns, working up or down, etc.?

Just now, Nicocchi said:
  Hide contents

I managed to solve one of the 3x3 grids, and one row of the other but I'm struggling to progress further and I'm not sure my strategy is sound. Do you have any tips on how to approach this puzzle? Should I be solving rows or columns, working up or down, etc.?

Spoiler

I like to work down personally. I started with the left puzzle, solved the top row, then the middle, then the bottom. From there I moved to the other side and solved the top, then most of the middle (had to leave off one block until he bottom was mostly done.) Once you have the left side solved you'll want to move slowly, making sure not to displace those numbers up or down (left or right is fine since you can just shift them back when its time to set them back in place. If you've managed to solve as much as you have then the hardest part is behind you, and the rest is just patience. Take it slow and pay careful attention before you shift things so you don't accidentally throw off what is correct.

I assume you already know your solution, but when I did it I wrote down what the solution I was working toward and then followed that specifically to ensure it wouldn't violate any rules. 

10 minutes ago, Nicocchi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Go by column and try to solve the last two at the same time. Or you can solve by rows and accidentally solve it while trying to get the last row into position like I did.

Edited by Default

50 minutes ago, Default said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Go by column and try to solve the last two at the same time. Or you can solve by rows and accidentally solve it while trying to get the last row into position like I did.

50 minutes ago, wcv said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I like to work down personally. I started with the left puzzle, solved the top row, then the middle, then the bottom. From there I moved to the other side and solved the top, then most of the middle (had to leave off one block until he bottom was mostly done.) Once you have the left side solved you'll want to move slowly, making sure not to displace those numbers up or down (left or right is fine since you can just shift them back when its time to set them back in place. If you've managed to solve as much as you have then the hardest part is behind you, and the rest is just patience. Take it slow and pay careful attention before you shift things so you don't accidentally throw off what is correct.

I assume you already know your solution, but when I did it I wrote down what the solution I was working toward and then followed that specifically to ensure it wouldn't violate any rules. 

Spoiler

I got everything but 2 squares that just need to be switched with each other, but I'm hitting a wall. I'll give it another shot once I've had some rest. Thanks for the advice 🙂

28 minutes ago, Nicocchi said:

Hide contents

I got everything but 2 squares that just need to be switched with each other, but I'm hitting a wall. I'll give it another shot once I've had some rest. Thanks for the advice 🙂

Spoiler

From there you are probably going to need to fiddle with all three squares on that column/row (depending on which ones are mixed up. Get them all in the right order and then just move them into position.

Spoiler

Rather  than post this puzzle again, thought I'd jump in here. 

image.png.2c4e40de5b773f3542d752e0f71e8a19.png

I think I'd have it solved if I could get that bottom row to be 8, 3, 4 instead of 4,8,3. Does anybody have any tips for swapping these around without screwing everything up? Like the actual algorithmic steps would be amazing (like with a Rubik's cube), but any help is much appreciated... My brain is not enjoying this puzzle

Spoiler

Yeah, this puzzle. I never liked rubik's cube. This is pretty much a 2D version of it, isn't? I hate that cube.

This is the only type of puzzle I've come across in my life that I never enjoyed. It will be, by far, the hardest puzzle I'm ever going to have to do.

Too sleepy and tired to keep going. I got two rows and gave up. Shame on me.

Maybe I can watch a tutorial later on rubik's cubes and apply it here. You guys think it will help?

4 minutes ago, SHAGGYSmurf said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, this puzzle. I never liked rubik's cube. This is pretty much a 2D version of it, isn't? I hate that cube.

This is the only type of puzzle I've come across in my life that I never enjoyed. It will be, by far, the hardest puzzle I'm ever going to have to do.

Too sleepy and tired to keep going. I got two rows and gave up. Shame on me.

Maybe I can watch a tutorial later on rubik's cubes and apply it here. You guys think it will help?

Spoiler

you need to treat it like its a tile puzzle and solve by columns instead of rows

4 minutes ago, LeoYT said:
  Hide contents

you need to treat it like its a tile puzzle and solve by columns instead of rows

Spoiler

Hmmm. Ok ok. I see. Take advantage of the columns since you get more control.

It makes sense. Instead of seen it as two different puzzles dependent on each other, see it as one big 6x3 puzzle.

I guess I've deprived myself from sleep quite some time. I'll give it another go once I get some zzz's. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2018 at 11:01 AM, dhama said:

do you need to do something after you solved the puzzle?

You will know when it is finished, as it randomizes the numbers and leaves some of them red. Then three useful items will near the computers. For those who want to know, it's in the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

Darkinium-Z, Thunderbolt, Gardevoirite.