Can't beat Terra

Loucanroc

I find it really hard to beat Terra. I've been stuck in the same place for a while now. My Pokemon are:

Delphox: lvl 75

Ability: Magician

Item: Psychic Memory

Moves: Psyshock

Fire Pledge

Fire Blast

Psychic

Simipour: lvl 75

Ability: Torrent

Item: Sea Incense

Moves: Crunch

Surf

Brick Break

Acrobatics

Vulpix (Alolan) : lvl 71

Ability: Snow Cloak

Item: Quick Claw

Moves: Blizzard

Grudge

Captivate

Sheer Cold

Shiinotic: lvl 74

Ability: Illuminate

Item: Rose Incense

Moves: Moonblast

Ingrain

Giga Drain

Confuse Ray

Emolga: lvl 75

Ability: Static

Item: Lax Incense

Moves: Discharge

Shock Wave

Acrobatics

Cut

Swanna: lvl 73

Ability: Keen Eye

Iten: Sea Incense

Moves: Rain Dance

Surf

Hurricane

Brave Bird

I have (kinda) high-levelled Pokemon as well:

Furfrou (lvl 75)

Durant (lvl 75)

Mightyena (lvl 72)

Absol (lvl 72)

Sandslash (lvl 71)

Onix (lvl 71)

Wailord (lvl 71)

Meowstic (lvl 70)

Liepard (lvl 70)

Venomoth (lvl 70)

Swoobat (lvl 70)

Pancham (lvl 70)

Jumpluff (lvl 70)

Sandslash (lvl 70)

Kricketune (lvl 70)

(I have other Pokemon who are 50-60 lvl+ if that helps)

I usually use Delphox first,with Psychic. Then with Excadrill I use Simipour and Surf. I usually beat Quagsire with multiple times of using Psychic (Delphox) and Hippowdon with Surf (usually Simipour). Palossand pisses me off tho, I can't beat it easily. I use Shiinotic and Giga Drain as many times as possible but Terra's potions make my work harder. I've managed to beat Palossand but I always lose when I reach Garchomp... I can't seem to beat it.

Any advice would be appreciated because I honestly don't know what else to do... 

If you have any questions that could help you come up with something,feel free to ask.

You have like 4 PU Pokemon, 1 RU and 1 LC. It's no wonder you're struggling this late into the game. My advice would be changing everything except Delphox and Vulpix which you should probably evolve. As for specific Pokemon for this battle, Weavile is great especially if you're struggling against Garchomp. Although you might need to breed icicle crash onto it so catch Beartic first. Some other good mons would be Milotic, Alakazam, Gardevoir, Quagsire, Crawdunt. From the Pokemon you already have, Pangoro and Durant are decent.

51 minutes ago, Loucanroc said:

I find it really hard to beat Terra. I've been stuck in the same place for a while now. My Pokemon are:

Delphox: lvl 75

Ability: Magician

Item: Psychic Memory

Moves: Psyshock

Fire Pledge

Fire Blast

Psychic

Simipour: lvl 75

Ability: Torrent

Item: Sea Incense

Moves: Crunch

Surf

Brick Break

Acrobatics

Vulpix (Alolan) : lvl 71

Ability: Snow Cloak

Item: Quick Claw

Moves: Blizzard

Grudge

Captivate

Sheer Cold

Shiinotic: lvl 74

Ability: Illuminate

Item: Rose Incense

Moves: Moonblast

Ingrain

Giga Drain

Confuse Ray

Emolga: lvl 75

Ability: Static

Item: Lax Incense

Moves: Discharge

Shock Wave

Acrobatics

Cut

Swanna: lvl 73

Ability: Keen Eye

Iten: Sea Incense

Moves: Rain Dance

Surf

Hurricane

Brave Bird

I have (kinda) high-levelled Pokemon as well:

Furfrou (lvl 75)

Durant (lvl 75)

Mightyena (lvl 72)

Absol (lvl 72)

Sandslash (lvl 71)

Onix (lvl 71)

Wailord (lvl 71)

Meowstic (lvl 70)

Liepard (lvl 70)

Venomoth (lvl 70)

Swoobat (lvl 70)

Pancham (lvl 70)

Jumpluff (lvl 70)

Sandslash (lvl 70)

Kricketune (lvl 70)

(I have other Pokemon who are 50-60 lvl+ if that helps)

I usually use Delphox first,with Psychic. Then with Excadrill I use Simipour and Surf. I usually beat Quagsire with multiple times of using Psychic (Delphox) and Hippowdon with Surf (usually Simipour). Palossand pisses me off tho, I can't beat it easily. I use Shiinotic and Giga Drain as many times as possible but Terra's potions make my work harder. I've managed to beat Palossand but I always lose when I reach Garchomp... I can't seem to beat it.

Any advice would be appreciated because I honestly don't know what else to do... 

If you have any questions that could help you come up with something,feel free to ask.

My question is, why is an item specifically for Silvally being held by your Delphox? As for Terra, being it's the glitch field iirc Gen 1 mechanics apply and certain types become ??? type, i agree you should evolve your Vulpix but i don't think taking the tiers they are in should really be more of a concern. Your Furfrou assumably could act as a strong defensive wall? i'm not that well versed in matters like that but i will say that bringing an Electric type to a ground gym is limiting your options and taking up a slot which could go to a better choice, sure Emolga being part flying helps but Swoobat is also part flying and gets the benefit of being a Psychic type which is pretty strong in the glitch field, alternatively Jumpluff, also a Flying type but part grass too. Ideally i would choose either of them.

Keep in mind two of Terra's pokemon have an item that changes them to being ??? type on the glitch field and boost their defences i think by some means so you will have to either chip away at them with no super effective hits or forcefully switch them out so you can make her send them back out with their weaknesses to use.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lord Drakyle said:

but i don't think taking the tiers they are in should really be more of a concern.

The PU Pokemon are in PU for a reason. Usually it's because they have extremely low stats so you definitely don't wanna be bringing them against lvl 75 OU teams which also get boosted by the fields. It's just a bad idea in general especially if you're just doing a casual run and don't plan on breeding for IVs and EV training. Maybe even impossible after you get to Amaria or something.

On another note, why doesn't that Shiinotic have spore? Why else would anybody use that thing. . .Although you'd be WAY better off just catching an Amoonguss which does the exact same thing except 50 times better. Spore, Giga drain, Toxic, Sludge bomb and it has much better stats. Almost double the HP with only slightly lower Def and SpDef. There's you're Palossand counter right there. Just Toxic it and make Terra waste all her full restores. It learns Toxic via level up so you don't even need the TM.

You can catch one easily on Azurine island. And later on you can teach it foul play to destroy Aegislash. Meanwhile Shiinotic would just get OHKOed.

3 minutes ago, Gheist said:

The PU Pokemon are in PU for a reason. Usually it's because they have extremely low stats so you definitely don't wanna be bringing them against lvl 75 OU teams which also get boosted by the fields. It's just a bad idea in general especially if you're just doing a casual run and don't plan on breeding for IVs and EV training. Maybe even impossible after you get to Amaria or something.

On another note, why doesn't that Shiinotic have spore? Why else would anybody use that thing. . .Although you'd be WAY better off just catching an Amoonguss which does the exact same thing except 50 times better. Spore, Giga drain, Toxic, Sludge bomb and it has much better stats. Almost double the HP with only slightly lower Def and SpDef. There's you're Palossand counter right there. Just Toxic it and make Terra waste all her full restores. It learns Toxic via level up so you don't even need the TM.

You can catch one easily on Azurine island. And later on you can teach it foul play to destroy Aegislash. Meanwhile Shiinotic would just get OHKOed.

The point about the tiers not being that important is one of Pokemon Reborn's beauties is that it introduced us to using pokemon we normally would ignore and we end up finding out just how good they can actually be, the point is i don't feel comfortable encouraging people to act like sheep who follow a tier just because it's labeled as being the better pokemon without trying others from lower tiers or those they usually ignore so they can see just what it can do and finding ways with it to make up for what it may lack in stats. Overwhelming strength isn't everything, but 'id rather not discuss this further as it would lead to this going off topic more than it may already have.

• Like 1

@Loucanroc Is your Meowstic male with Prankster ability? Light Screen and Reflect certainly would help you with that Garchomp. Special attacking Ice-types  should put a dent on it, even when the Garchomp is holding Assault Vest. Ice is special type in Gen 1, meaning mons like Beartic and Weavile use their Special Attack stat when using Ice-type moves: this makes them less ideal than what you might expect. Fairy-type becomes Normal, so don't bother resisting Draco Meteor.

If you manage to use Trick Room, that could work too. In this case you should bring mons that are slower than Garchomp and slowly whittle it down. Trick Room always goes last, so if you wanted to use it you need a mon that can take hit from Garchomp: if you use TR earlier, make sure you're not exposed to that Palossand.

4 hours ago, LemonJones said:

I'd recommend you to keep it simple. Get something that can setup and sweep 1v6 like a dragon dance user. Flygon would be the easiest one to get.

I agree with @LemonJones. No offence but if you give your delphox a psychic memory to hold you probably don't know much about pokemon and it's mechanics. Keep it simple for this gym and after that learn some more about everything and what pokemon are good and nice to use.
Flygon would be a good pick but keep in mind that dragon is special in this field (gen 1 mechanics). Good thing that her whole team is grounded so you can just click EQ.

You can even just use something like claydol. The glitch field makes it that whichever stat at the special side is the highest gives it the special stat. Claydol has levitate so is immune to ground type attacks and has base 120 special defence, so this makes it 120 base special attack too. In this field psychic attacks are boosted by 1.2 times and it gets Extrasensory so this becomes a 96 base power + STAB move. Give it a Synthetic seed to boost its defence and special stat even more so you hit even harder. Claydol also gets cosmic power which boosts special defence and defence so in this field it also boosts your special attack so you can set up. It also gets heal block so you can even prevent Palossand to shore up and Quagsire to recover. Last i'd run Explosion. It's a 340 base power move in gen 1 so you'd hit hard anyway.

Oefff i'm getting excited! It would be so much fun to use this in the glitch field! 
You even completely wall her whole team!

Nidoking, does not OHKO you but you DO OHKO him with extrasensory after the boosts of the synthetic seed.
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Blizzard vs. +1 252 HP / 252 SpD Claydol: 143-169 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO

Hippowdon, Literally can't touch you. Setup Fodder! Click cosmic power! You easily 2HKO him after the seed boosts but why not get more?

Excadrill, Can only click x-scissor. Good thing it isn't a steel type so extrasensory isn't resisted. He is faster but you OHKO him with extrasensory after the seed boosts as you can see:
+1 252 SpA Mind Plate Claydol Extrasensory vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 378-445 (104.4 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And he doesn't OHKO you even with a crit.

252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill X-Scissor vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Claydol: 151-179 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO

Palossand, His Giga Drain is tricky because it has amnesia and the synthetic seeds. You 2HKO him with Extrasensory and 3HKO him if he gets up 1 amnesia. But after that he 2HKO's you and gets hp back so you don't 3HKO him anymore actually. You will need 1 cosmic power boosts so you'll be +2 in the special end defence stat to beat him. Good thing that shadow ball won't hit you because psychic types are immune to ghost type attacks in gen 1.

Quagsire, Okay this mon has unaware so that's just not fair. His blizzard will 2HKO you and your extrasensory 3HKO him so that's a battle you won't win unless he misses 90% accurate blizzards. You could heal till he misses or runs out of pp and set up but that's just kind off an Unorthodox method isn't it. I'd say heal block and boom with explosion (you're faster) so that your other mons can clean him up for you.

Last is Garchomp, Garchomp won't do NOTHING to you.

+1 252 SpA Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. +1 252 HP / 252 SpD Claydol: 111-132 (34.2 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (+1 cause of assault vest).

You can even come in on him without the seed boost and he still won't 2HKO you with craco meteor.

+1 252+ SpA Garchomp Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Claydol: 265-313 (81.7 - 96.6%) -- not a KO.

LOL i got Waaaaaayy tooo in to this. Was going on a rampage lol. Got me way too excited. And i know it isn't simple anymore and it won't probably help him but it just looks so great doesn't it? Is there a way to redo the battle so i can use this without having to do a whole new run?😋

Anyway i hope you beat him soon enough so you can progress with this awesome game!

Now that i got into it Colour change Kecleon with Synchronoise looks fun and effective as well :x

7 hours ago, Lord Drakyle said:

The point about the tiers not being that important is one of Pokemon Reborn's beauties is that it introduced us to using pokemon we normally would ignore and we end up finding out just how good they can actually be, the point is i don't feel comfortable encouraging people to act like sheep who follow a tier just because it's labeled as being the better pokemon without trying others from lower tiers or those they usually ignore so they can see just what it can do and finding ways with it to make up for what it may lack in stats. Overwhelming strength isn't everything, but 'id rather not discuss this further as it would lead to this going off topic more than it may already have. 

Dude, we are not talking about lower tiers, we are talking about PU which is the literal lowest tier. Those are the worst of the worst. I wouldn't have even mentioned it if he had 1-2 Pokemon from that tier but he has 4 PU mons out of his 6 and 1 LC. And clearly this is a casual player who just wants to get through the game so explaining to him that he is using some very bad mons and that he should catch some better ones seems like the best way to solve his problem.

I already addressed the topic in my first post and told him what he should catch to help with this gym and in general. Even your brilliant strategy was to use different mons except you'd have him use other PU mons while I suggested he catch something good that would still be useful later in the game. This is just how Pokemon works. Some mons are good early on at low levels but then they become absolutely useless later on because of their low stats.

2 hours ago, N1Dude said:

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Blizzard vs. +1 252 HP / 252 SpD Claydol: 143-169 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO

You're probably assuming he has 31 IVs on those calcs and also that OP is actually gonna bother to EV train his mons (or even knows how to). But yea, I'm pretty sure we'll be able to rebattle gym leaders in post game. They're gonna have much stronger teams though with legendaries. Not sure whether you'll be able to battle the old team though. Right now I just wanna use my broken Ubers (because of Aegislash) sand team with SD Excadrill against something. Oh that's gonna be fun.

12 minutes ago, Gheist said:

You're probably assuming he has 31 IVs on those calcs and also that OP is actually gonna bother to EV train his mons (or even knows how to). 

Haha I definitely was not assuming that. I was just going on a rampage and wanted to see how good Claydol Could be with good EV's and IV's versus max IV's and EV-trained mons of Terra. Could've gone to the walkthrough page to look up their exact stats but that would be too much work and ruin the fun for me lol. And yeah I already said that this wasn't a simple solution anymore 😅. I'm definitely not expecting OP to breed a Claydol to max IV's and then EV-train it to that set but I thought it was fun to calc it just to see how good Claydol Could be in this game cause let's just face it. Claydol actually kinda sucks in-game and in competitive plays.

6 minutes ago, N1Dude said:

Haha I definitely was not assuming that. I was just going on a rampage and wanted to see how good Claydol Could be with good EV's and IV's versus max IV's and EV-trained mons of Terra.

Yea I figured as much. I did that when building my sand team while assuming that all the threats have +1 Atk/SpAtk because I know the fields are probably gonna buff them to at least that. Although I really hope it's not so broken that they'll be outspeeding my jolly max speed Excadrill in sand because that would just be stupid. I even have a lvl 1 Aron with Sturdy/Endeavor in my PC just in case. So hyped to use this against the E4, Saphira, Lin and whatever else Ame throws at us.

The main team is Ferro (Spdef spikes leech seed), Aegislash (Hp/Spatk with shadow sneak), Excadrill (SD life orb), Garchomp (Jolly max spe/atk fire blast Firium Z once I get it), Hippo (toxic/rocks), Rotom-W (Max Def/HP wisp signal beam (alternatively trick choice scarf)). All of them have perfect (in relevant stats) IVs except Rotom is 30 def and Chomp is 29 Spdef.

Honestly just swap Aegislash for Lando and this would be one of my OU teams. I don't have any good mega stones yet but later on I could swap hippo out for mega T-tar, give Garchomp a mega stone or just put mega Lopunny in over something. I could also breed a mega Glalie now but I don't think we have access to Explosion yet.

SO much hype for E18.

26 minutes ago, Gheist said:

The main team is Ferro (Spdef spikes leech seed), Aegislash (Hp/Spatk with shadow sneak), Excadrill (SD life orb), Garchomp (Jolly max spe/atk fire blast Firium Z once I get it), Hippo (toxic/rocks), Rotom-W (Max Def/HP wisp signal beam (alternatively trick choice scarf)). All of them have perfect (in relevant stats) IVs except Rotom is 30 def and Chomp is 29 Spdef.

SO much hype for E18.

Wow you're hella stacked. The only thing that I can think of your team is besides signal beam you can't really touch dark types but you've got enough to cover for that cause it's such a solid team. 

I'm one of those who likes a lot of mons so I've got like almost 2 boxes full of EV-trained mons but I can't be bothered to breed for perfect IV's, I just feel like it's a lot of work for little result so I just softreset or hatch eggs till i get decent IV's preferable in the stats I'm going to EV train ofcourse. But with all those mons I can build like a counterteam against the opponent.

Some of them are build to be a team like a trickroom team, sticky web and weatherbased teams but most of them can be just put together and form a decent to good team.

I'm also sooo hyper for E18 I can't wait either!

24 minutes ago, N1Dude said:

Wow you're hella stacked. The only thing that I can think of your team is besides signal beam you can't really touch dark types but you've got enough to cover for that cause it's such a solid team.  

Well I can "touch them" perfectly fine for neutral damage with most of my team. I do also have another Aegislash which is exactly the same except it has sacred sword over flash cannon but really the plan is for mega lopunny to be my fighting type. I do also have an EV trained Alakazam (only 31 IVs in Spatk) with magic guard and dazzling gleam so I could put a sash on that and get off a hit or two. And I've got a Weavile (31 in Atk/Speed) with low kick that's currently banded. I can always rotate one of them in as long as I'm not fighting the E4 or something. Most dark types also have a secondary type which I can hit like Bisharp with ground or Hydreigon with dragon. I guess the biggest threat would be mega Sableye. I used to spam that thing in XY OU until it got banned. So broken. Worst case I would have to stall it out of recovers.

Another threat that isn't dark type is an opposing Rotom-W. I can chip it down but since this is in game, they're probably gonna be using full restores on it. Then there's offensive Lando-T with U-turn. My Ferro is Spdef so I die to 3 EQs or 2 with Earth Plate so Rotom-W is my best counter but it can outspeed and U-turn out for the chip.

Hippo can tank a few EQs and toxic so I've got that.

That's my main team but I do have some 15 more EV trained mons which I've mostly used in the past. There's the Weavile and Alakazam, Gengar, Blaziken (pretty shitty IVs), Greninja (perfect IVs in relevant stats, max Speed/Spatk, Mild nature with Gunk, Hydro, Dark pulse, Extrasensory (should be U-turn)), Milotic (perfect IVs, shiny, max Spdef), Flygon (decent IVs Adamant with choice scarf) and I have a Mawile with perfect IVs waiting for a mega stone as well as a Lopunny with 31 in Atk/Spe/Hp waiting for a mega stone.

I definitely advise breeding your Pokemon for perfect IVs at least in their primary stats so speed and Atk/Spatk for your fast damage dealers and Hp/Def/Spdef for your defensive mons. It's actually really easy to make sure you get perfect IVs in 2 stats and you can get it in 2-3 generations so it's really just a shame not to do it. Just find a mon in your box with 31 IVs in a stat, make it hold the correct EV training item and it is guaranteed to pass on that stat when breeding. And IVs definitely matter I can tell you that.

The main point of my sand team is to be versatile so I can beat unknown teams and especially the E4 where you're not allowed to access the PC. Excadrill should be able to sweep anything with hazards up, sand and 1 SD as long as they don't send in a fucking Skarmory or something. But I obviously have Rotom for that.

Anyway, good luck with your teambuilding and 84% HYPE!

19 hours ago, Zargerth said:

@Loucanroc Is your Meowstic male with Prankster ability? Light Screen and Reflect certainly would help you with that Garchomp. Special attacking Ice-types  should put a dent on it, even when the Garchomp is holding Assault Vest. Ice is special type in Gen 1, meaning mons like Beartic and Weavile use their Special Attack stat when using Ice-type moves: this makes them less ideal than what you might expect. Fairy-type becomes Normal, so don't bother resisting Draco Meteor.

If you manage to use Trick Room, that could work too. In this case you should bring mons that are slower than Garchomp and slowly whittle it down. Trick Room always goes last, so if you wanted to use it you need a mon that can take hit from Garchomp: if you use TR earlier, make sure you're not exposed to that Palossand.

No,unfortunately it is a female Meowstic with Keen Eye.

• 3 months later...

Probably no one will see this but i wanted to post in case anyone needs advice. I restarted the game some months ago and i beat Terra some minutes ago. My team was Alakazam,Exeggutor,Braviary,Blaziken,Simipour,Walrein. All lvl 75. My main strategy was to use Whirlwing to kick out ??? Pokemon and then finished them with Exeggutor's Wood Hammer. Took care of Garchomp with Walrein's Blizzard. Hippowdon with Simipour's Surf (while holding a Splash Plate). If anyone wants to know anything else or if I should post details,inform me.