The “Good Characters” Rant

World3

I really don't like Lin myself. She's something of a Boring Invincible Villain.

I'll try to explain myself better. See, we get into this game as a Pokemon trainer who has decided to face the Reborn League. Reborn is an unliveable hellhole that produced some of the most broken, defeated examples of humanity in the Poke-Earth, and it is under the yoke of Team Meteor, a ruthless terrorist organization that keeps it in the miserable state we see it in the beginning.

However, through our actions, and with the aid of the various characters we meet during our journey, things start slowly getting better. People begin to gain hope. They start to shake themselves out of their apathy, and to realize that there IS a chance for something better, and that it IS worth fighting for it. Team Meteor begins to lose ground, and the city starts to heal. By the time Episode 16 rolls, Reborn has become a much better place, and it is partly thanks to our actions. We get a feeling of hope, see what I'm saying?

But then comes Lin.

Nothing we do seems to even give her pause. Everything we do, it's all "just as planned" to her, and she's always five steps ahead of us. She can predict our moves and counter them as if she could see the future, and from what we've seen of her Pokemon, she's practically invincible in a Pokemon battle as well. It feels like the only reason we've gotten this far is because she wanted to amuse herself by watching us insects and our pathetic efforts to oppose her, and that if she wanted, she could wipe us out in two seconds flat. We've done nothing but play in her hands the whole time.

At this point (to me, at least), she has become something like Aizen or Yhwach (from Bleach), Madara (from Naruto), Esdeath (from Akame ga Kill) or Paul (from the Pokemon anime) - that is, she is such a credible threat that now, there doesn't seem to be any plausible way to beat her.

By contrast, I can think of Madame X, the main villainess of Pokemon Rejuvenation. While she is certainly powerful and dangerous, she doesn't have the same aura of invincibility that Lin projects, since she has suffered some defeats and setbacks that she didn't plan for.

That's my two cents at least.

Lol at the Lin aizen comparison. As soon as you said boring invincible villain I was like, uh oh here comes the A-word lol.

Thing is we know something epic happens to Lin as seen via shade's gym, now whether it's actually her or even a bad thing is anyone's guess and for only a few to know but her "Solaris gets owned at amaria's house" moment is gonna eventually,  until then she needs to be built up as a believable threat especially since until ep 16 we never physically saw her do anything befitting her status as Meteor Lead.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure there are any characters I personally dislike, outside the villains. Cain irritates me, but that's just because being hit on is something I find annoying in general.

I have to disagree with people who dislike Titania or Saphira for killing though. Frankly they are the only ones actually doing something to stop Team Meteor. The other heroes have a Pokemon battle, and then let the Meteor people walk off to attack again. No capture, no imprisonment. Just let them all go. Is Titania and Saphira's kill them attitude necessarily correct? Maybe not, but its better than do nothing.

I don't hate sapphira or Titania for killing meteor goons(they're terrorists after all and threw the value of their lives away the minute they walked that path), in fact Sapphirra is my favorite female character in the game, but I hate titania because she's got such an awful attitude and comes off as a very offputting/ungrateful jerk.

I don't like Terra because she kind of kills immersion a bit with her overly memetic speech and rminds me of tina from boderlands which is not a good thing lol. She is pretty funny sometimes though and her episode is among the best in the game.

Sirius so far comes off as the flattest villain. He's just purely diabolical yet underhanded about it(compared to the other Meteor bigshots), and feels like the Starscream who is going to turn against Solaris later on. But so far all we have from his character is that he's a very sinister, underhanded person. Feels like everything we know about him comes down to sirius being villainous but not much else. Mind you i just finished 16 so maybe episode 17 will flesh him out more, if he appears.