Official Super Smash Bros. Thread for Wii U and 3DS

Maelstrom

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wisconsin's finally having another tournament and it's tomorrow, so I'll be there! I'm going to compete in Melee Singles and Doubles, but I might enter Sm4sh too, just for fun. If any of you want to watch the stream, it'll be on this channel tomorrow: http://www.twitch.tv/PlattevilleSmash

Tournament starts at 11:00 EST (or 12:00 USC for my time zone). Wish me luck!

Well, the tournament was super fun. I got 6th place out of 17 in Sm4sh, 13th out of 25 in Melee Singles, and 8th out of 9 in Melee doubles. I only remember the top two placements for Sm4sh (I was mostly playing Melee), but I did catch the grand finals. First place went to Bawk's Yoshi and second went to 8_bit_D's Lucas. The grand finals were INCREDIBLY hype and there were definitely some crazy moments in there, so I'd highly recommend checking it out if you have the time.

Wii U stream (Grand finals at the end, obviously): http://www.twitch.tv/trash4/v/28420765

Melee Singles/Doubles Stream (My friend and I are playing some friendly doubles with the team that ended up getting 2nd right at the beginning... Our tournament matches are farther in. ): http://www.twitch.tv/plattevillesmash/v/28416510

Brackets are here for any who are curious... Unfortunately they don't list the mains anywhere.

Melee Singles Bracket: http://www.plattevillesmash.com/tournament/120

Melee Doubles Bracket: http://www.plattevillesmash.com/tournament/117

Wii U Singles Bracket: http://www.plattevillesmash.com/tournament/118

Boys, I switching mains for a time sake to learn how to combo and space properly. (No, it is not Marth) It is Dark pit, although Pit is superior in terms of Ko power with in the side b. Regardless, I will actually try to train hard to learn this character. Saw some Dark pit gameplay from Nario so I know some combos. I know some of his frame data is below average due f-tilt/u-tilt/partially nair.

There are some MUs in which Pit is better, and there are some in which Dark Pit is better. For example, Dark Pit is better vs people who struggle when behind, such as Sheik or Roy, as Electroshock Arm is a great tool at seizing stage control when used properly, and the stronger arrows can outtrade things like needles. Of course, its more horizontal knockback also makes it more beneficial vs characters where you're trying to knock them offstage, such as Rosalina and Captain Falcon.

However Pit's specials consequently make him better at juggling characters with shit landing options (Bowser and Toon Link) alongside more frequently outright KO'ing whoever it hits (his side B hurts Fox a lot).

Outside of differences in specials they're similar enough that while you can pick between one of them based on your taste, you're learning both the characters at the same time.

Soon.

Out of curiosity does anybody think this is actually going to be the last we get for smash dlc? I dont think so, since they worded it in a way where it sounded like its the last direct exclusive to smash, but not the last time smash will appear in directs.

I prefer Dark Pit solely for the victory music, but I play Pit more. Some general tips:

-Nothing you have autocancels, but your Fair and Bair are very quick. Bair also has very little landing lag and is a great kill move. Nair is very bad. Up Air is a good juggle tool. Down Throw -> Up Air at low percents is great. If they DI, you can use Fair instead.

-Learn to space attacks and control arrows

-Don't randomly throw out Side B. Super punishable, and even though it has some armor, do not, repeat, DO NOT simply throw it out because someone is charging a Smash.

-Learn out to angle your Up B so you snap to the ledge.

Soon.

Out of curiosity does anybody think this is actually going to be the last we get for smash dlc? I dont think so, since they worded it in a way where it sounded like its the last direct exclusive to smash, but not the last time smash will appear in directs.

i don't think so, i wouldn't doubt us getting around 3 more characters after cloud and possibly the ballot winner

and cloud <3333 there's no way they aren't releasing him after the announcement

When the Cloud release happens, I'm expecting that I'll actually put time into learning this game again. He's one of my favorite characters and also appears to have pretty much all the tools that I like to use in Smash games (Unlike my poor nerfed Marth, grumble grumble). I'm gonna give him a try as a main, since I still don't have one that really suits me in Sm4sh.

Yeah Ness can be sorta braindead. In mid level play and above, he tends to get slaughtered.

Once you learn how to deal with him (in Rosalina's case, it's doing Down B when he tries to recover), you'll realize how crummy and slow a character he is unless he is using his mix-ups properly. And I haven't seen such a Ness in a long time, if ever.

Meta Knight's issue is his range. He can get rekt by high-range characters like Marth and Donkey Kong who can just zone him from using his most troublesome moves. His reward for getting in is very high however, much like his Kirby series cohorts.

I never thought of Dedede as having a lacking range.

It also seems like that everyone in the Internet world seems to agree with me without having me actually talk to them about the new characters.

Everyone is theorizing that Wolf and The Squid Kids or Inklings will release or be announced alongside Cloud. As for the Ballot most people are agreeing that we will probably get three "winners" Isaac, K. Rool, and a third party of some kind. People are thinking either Shovel Knight, Shantae, Bayonetta, or Banjo. I am putting my money on Banjo. It's worth noting that Shovel Knight is not out in Japan. A ton of people seem to think that since Cloud is in, anyone can get it. They don't acknowledge Cloud's Super Stardom and the concept that if a third party gets in, they will most likely be a super star like Cloud.

There are a lot of people assuming that Snake and Wolf will get in because the Cloud Trailer ended with a tease for the broadcast while playing the Brawl Opening theme. I want to debunk this theory by pointing out that the song that opens Brawl was Composed by the guy who composes all of the Final Fantasy games. So it could just be a measly Easter egg that flew over a ton of people's heads.

Edit: this article is a good read. http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

idk about inklings getting in, i feel like they wouldn't of gotten mii customes if they were just going to put the actual characters in, although it does seem likely wolf will be brought back to hype up the new starfox game

when it comes to the ballot, i'm not expecting them to put more than one character from it in the game, also i don't think they would put indie characters into sm4sh since it doesn't really cater to people who play smash casually, they're less likely to know who characters like shovel knight are, and i feel like sora has a pretty decent chance of getting announced with KH3 coming up in the near future

I never thought of Dedede as having a lacking range.

Dedede has some of the highest range attacks in the game. Garbo frame data to compensate though. It's so bad that he makes even Shulk look fast.

My bets are on Cloud, Wolf and Isaac coming in the next patch. I really don't know why people are suggesting the Inklings...what would a moveset even look like with them?

EDIT: Might as well post mine @1:30.

Inklings are insanely popular ATM. Especially in Japan. They are also unique enough to warrant their own moveset and have had plenty of time for the team to work on them. Their game is about 8 or 9 months old and Sakurai said that it takes his team about 6 months to develop a character.

ah so nothing too important got leaked today except for:

cloud's classic mode victory thing, which i think it's safe to say he'll be released after the direct with everything looking to be in place for him to get released, and a kalos pokemon stage apparently

can't wait until tomorrow >><<