Official Super Smash Bros. Thread for Wii U and 3DS

Maelstrom

Also underneath the list of songs, we have a list of composers with a small history...

First one mentioned is the lead composer to Xenoblade.. Huh...

Could mean numerous things. Nobuo Uematsu (Pretty much every Final Fantasy game, among other games, bar the FF13 series) was listed as a composer but he only wrote Brawl main theme. (incidentally, XIII's composer is on the new list)

Also I find it odd that there's no Shogo Sakai or Koji Kondo on the list...then again their contributions might be original tracks, taken directly from the game, as opposed to arrangements (ex. Forest from Kirby and the Amazing Mirror was taken directly from the GBA game into Brawl), or their contributions are on the WiiU version.

It pains me to see Yusuke Takahama on the list...he butchered arrangements in Brawl.

Also Yoko Shimomura's appearance has sparked my curiosity. He's probably my favorite out of all those currently on that list.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I loved what the devil may cry guy did in the last game, and he is more than welcome back by me.

And I knew that the final fantasy guy did brawl's main theme. It screamed ff8 to me haha

Okay so yesterday I was able to play the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros 4. I only got about 8 characters played, with only 2 newcomers played. So I'm listing some thoughts on 8 of the characters I played, from most impressed to least.

Bowser

Definitely most improved. When Sakurai said he wanted him to be strong, he meant it. First off, this man has some serious armor on his moves (he was like this before, but now he is faster in everything). F-Smash, Grounded Down-B, and N-air seem to have the most. His F-Smash before was a bit faster than most of his other moves in terms of him throwing it out, but was generally unsafe. Surprisingly the new drop kick seems to have less recovery while coming out really fast. Of course it still has a lot of kill potential. While in the air, Down-B is generally the same, still easily telegraphed. However, from the ground, it gained a lot of speed and armor, so I'm sure players can toss it out on punish. N-Air has an improved hitbox with a lot stun. I feel this is a good move to use to try to poke opponents in conjunction with F-Air. B-Air is also a really strong move, using as a footsie tool against aerial opponents. It also comes out fast, and if it hits on 80%~ opponents, can kill them on the tip. Of course run speed is much faster. He also retains a lot of weight, usually taking about 100% to take him offstage. His recover is still lackluster, and he still has a few weak moves, like his D-Smash. But overall I think Bowser is definitely going to be played more in this game.

Sheik

Sheik is really fast. Like. REALLY. She has a stronger air game, with needles and explosions being buffed in reduced lag and an additional hitbox respectively. She has high priority moves, all can combo for high damage. She lacks any sort of KO move outside of F-Smash, and even still that seems to only KO at high percentages. Everything else can't even do that. Once people get used to her and find more pokes and kill moves, I think Sheik is one of the best characters.

Mario

Mario seems to be the one that adapted the most to the game's mechanics, which is usually the case in every smash game. While he was always been a fast character, his moves seem to recover faster in a way, yet he has a lot of KO power on average percentage. He also has that combo potential that he had in Melee, while having the decent recovery moves he had in previous games (though he still doesn't have the Mario Spin..fuck you FLUDD). I would say he should be in a decent spot in this game.

Greninja

This guy is like Zero, and not in the OP department, but more so in the obnoxious to use department. Side-B in general was an awkward move because paying attention to a small shadow on a small screen with a big stage is kinda difficult. And even still, while probably one of his more rewarding moves to land, it has a weird hitbox, only affecting the tip of his foot. He also shares problems with Sheik by lacking any sort of reliable KO moves, with F-Air and Up-Smash being the only obvious ones. Even still despite his flashy combos, ability to hash out lots of damage, and everything about him is fast, his awkward Side-B, and pretty much all of his Specials too, kinda make this guy reliant on his normals with occasional pokes with Water Shurikens.

Link

Link overall is better, faster, and surprisingly feels lighter. The new animations for his Dash attack and Up-Air are superior to previous versions, the former is stronger and faster and the latter comes out faster while still his big KO move. The lag on some of Link's moves, specifically his D-Air, have been adjusted to be not as slow. His Up-B, the Spin Attack, travels farther than before and in a way hits farther as well. Most importantly, he isn't a rock. Well, he is a little, but not so much to be a hindrance.

Marth

Overall, unchanged except for a minor tweak of power. Now not only is his tip hitbox not as large, but it deals huge damage. Vice-versa, the edge of his sword is weak as hell. The new Marth relies on proper spacing to do maximum damage. This is likely due to Lucina to create a difference in playstyle.

Fox

While juggling and combos do huge damage, his KO moves, including the iconic Up-Smash, are all weaker. If Falco is a playable character, I'd pick him over Fox to be honest. This Fox is not as strong compared to previous iterations, despite his 64-like speed.

Little Mac

Sorry, I just didn't find Mac to be impressive. They emphasized on Mac's air game to be bad compared to his admittedly excellent ground game, but it is absolutely atrocious. His air Side-B is like Marth's. Unlike Marth, it probably is his best recovery move. So really, you're going to have to stay on the ground. Not only that, but his Star KO punch, despite being extremely good, is built up on damage, usually around 50% is when he gets access to the star KO. That is pretty bad considering Mac is a lightweight fighter so just about any strong hit after using Star KO will force him offstage, which makes him helpless against everyone in the cast. Overall, while he is one of the strongest ground characters, his design flaws forces the player to leave no room in error, or else they'll have to pay the price.

Nice to hear your opinions man! I got a few things to add.

Bowser

holy shit this guy is improved, but I still don't think he will be top tier material.

Some other cool things to know about his is that this up and back air are fucking fantastic. His jab combo is pretty awesome, his air side b of Koopa Claw can cancel into his jab combo when you land. Bowser's Firebreath or neutral b is insane to look at, on battlefield it covers half the stage upon initial start up. Bowser's down special, the Bowser Bomb chips off 85-90% of enemy shields. His down air can spike. And he can instantly cancel his run animation by pressing down.

Shiek

Shiek does seem relatively buffed in this game coming out of brawl. Brawl's floaty, strong directional influence, and awk mechanics did Shiek absolutely no justice. However, all of that bullshit is gone in smash 4. I didn't realize anything reguarding priority, or if her grenade or new dolphin kick did anything too special. Her grenade did give me some borderlands vibes since it pulls people into it's blast radius before exploding. Also, if Shiek can combo, that will make her 500x of a better character. Part of what made her so fucking op in melee was her combo potential. Looking at her in this game I see a weaker hitting melee Shiek with a dive kick and better poking tools... I am going to have fun with her in singles...

Mario

Mario and Kirby are both really good in this game. They got exactly the tweaks they needed on top of the fact that the game's new mechanics fit them so damn well that they are just good... I really don't know how to explain it, and aeon pretty much covered it.

Greninja

Huh, so I wasn't the only one that noticed how "zero-y" Greninja was XD

I can see a lot of people who main Greninja modifying or learning how to hold their controllers in some strange new seen ways...

This character is going to be fucking weird to learn and play. I am curious in what high level Greninja players will do with him.

Link

I loved playing as Link in 64, melee, and project M. But I fucking hated playing as him in brawl. I didn't get to try him in smash 4, but he does look really improved and mid tier as fuck. His new jump slash suits his play style well and will improve him greatly. Don't have much else to add.

Marth

I didn't get to try Marth, but from what I heard, he is apparently more grounded and has more emphasis on his tip attacks. Long story short...

Marth= brawl Marth

Lucina= melee Marth

Fox

Fox did seem toned down and didn't offer anything new or exciting... Except his buff to his side special, the Fox Illusion.

Holy shit where do I begin...

Oh I should start by telling you how they buffed it. The aerial variant of the move no longer puts Fox into a helpless state. He can cancel it into jumps, aerials, or other non Side B specials.

This gives higher leveled Fox players a crazy cool new tool that strengthens Fox's recovery, approaches, edge guard, punishes, and combo potential. I love it :D

Lil' Mac

This guy will suck in FFA as you have proven as to why. The problem with this guy is that he is a strong character, with tons of weaknesses. Which is offsetting since he is easy to counter and check. His ground game, combo potential, and ability to punish and fake out foes with his feints is awesome, but his weaknesses will hurt him in the long run. I will probably be using him in 2v2s with Mael a lot. Mac's back dodge is also godly as fuck.

I haven't seen one pop out of a pokeball or get announced that it will do so, so no.

I also doubt that we will see it in the Pokemon Leauge, Luimouse City, nor N's Castle.

Sad times...

Goku had been rumored, so that's cool tho.

by who? talk about crackpot theory mills...

I'm half hoping Chrom recovers and is unlocked later on ingame. will we really know all the characters beforehand or will there be any secret unlockables at all?

It still bothers me that sakurai didn't want to do cutscenes because people would put it on youtube. I want my beautifully rendered mini-movies, dammit.

Speaking of Rumors... check this one out...

jiMGP44.png

5urSrBV.png

shyuBym.png

W0As4Ql.png

bkgbYFU.png

Wait! there is more! Before you start asking for the other screen shots... check it out, they were screenshot... OF VIDEOS

Edit: Nintendo took down the videos :(

I personally think any rumor regarding Luffy, Goku, and Naruto is BS... but there was another rumor stating that every character in the game will have 8 different alts, all being color palletes, costumes, ect...

Olimar's alts consist of 4 different colors and an alt skin of Alf with 4 different colors.

Bowser Jr.'s alts are the different koopa kids.

Bowser Jr.'s Final Smash involves using his paint brush apparently, and the leaker above stated that not every character and stage were unlocked in his footage... that suggests at most 5 more characters and 1 more stage.

Dixie, chorus men, and Mewtwo were teased.

Edit:

There is more!

http://m.imgur.com/a/PzeCw

Edit 2:

Supposedly the final roster has 50 characters. The leaker had yet to unlock Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie Kong, and the Chorus kids.

Shulk's neutral B changes his stat's. He has 5 different stat loadouts.

Duck Hunt Dog has the Ducks ride around on his back, they assist him in some of his attacks... Which sounds a whole lot like Banjo and Kazooie to me...

Edit 3:

Nintendo officially shut down the leaker's videos... Fun.

In case you missed them, Shulk's hands glowed funny and in different colors suggesting the different attribute Thing was legit.

The leaker claiming most of the info in this post stated that bowser jr. Would fight in his Koopa clown Kart and it would be equipped with boxing gloves and a cannon that shoots from the kart's mouth. That happened in the video. And in the imagur link I posted, there is a picture of Larry/Iggy Koopa in the same clown kart. Suggesting that the 8 alt rumor is true.

(I always get Larry and Iggy mixed up XD )

Dragon Ball (to the best of my knowledge) has absolutely no prior association with Nintendo aside from frequently finding itself on TV sets immediately after Pokemon.

Claims of Goku's possible presence are ridiculous.

Goku is not video game character. If Goku had any chance, it was taken by Pac-Man.

Goku's video game rights are owned by different companies depending on region. A lot of Americans believed that Goku had a chance because his game rights belong to Namco bandai.... But nope.

He also wouldn't fit into the universe well.

Nether the less he is not in the game. The current roster stands as

Mario

Dr. Mario

Luigi

Peach

Rosalina

Bowser

Bowser Jr.

Yoshi

Wario

Donkey Kong

Diddy Kong

Dixie Kong

Link

Toon Link

Zelda

Shiek

Ganondorf

Samus

Zero Suit Samus

Ridley

Kirby

Metaknight

King Dedede

Pit

Dark Pit

Palutena

Fox

Falco

Pikachu

Charzard

Jigglypuff

Mewtwo

Lucario

Greninja

Captain Falcon

Ness

Marth

Ike

Robin

Lucina

Olimar (with Alf alt)

ROB

Mr. Game and Watch

Villager

Wii Fit Trainer

Little Mac

The Chorus Men

Shulk

Duck Hunt Dog

Mii

Sonic

Megaman

PAC-man

Measures up to 50 characters total

Has no one else realized that the internet's dream to attack, punch, or shoot DuckHunt Dog will become a reality?

You're right, the resentment at being laughed at for missing shots by that snickering down has manifested itself. And now the dog has teamed up with all the ducks you guys missed to fight his way free.

dayum.

They use a duck hunt dog.... A friggin meme character. Over goku, XD. I love Nintendo logic.

I think goku would fit in fine with the ssbb universe. He luvs a good fite, and will do anything to win.

Hell, his whole RACE loves fighting more than anything else!

I know right? Why would Nintendo choose a classic Nintendo character to represent an all star Nintendo franchise for their Nintendo console over a random ass anime character?

Also, I never missed a duck, I pressed the light gun to the screen for 100% accuracy. Get on my level scrubs