[IC] ANKL. Part I: Awakening

Shamitako

Alva

Alva had been silent, practically struck mute by fear. She couldn't say anything as Essylt made her offer. She didn't want to be so weak, so unable to help or do anything here, but she just couldn't. All she could do was... not die? Hopefully? Of course, this was cut off when Eden said she wouldn't have hostages anymore. She might have had enough time to scream or put herself between them and the other girl before the foot came down and she was definitely worried about Lexi - why had she collapsed all of a sudden? "I-I'll help!" she'd said when Miss Carstin had asked for assistance in carrying the poor girl. Why had she fainted? Was she sick? It'd suck if she got sick so early into the trip. So she, with Miss Carstin, got Lexi onto her shoulder and started heading back to the camp. It was too bad about the trip, she'd wanted the chance to walk around some more. 

She had the weirdest feeling she was forgetting something. Had she forgotten some medication or something? It was that sort of gnawing feeling but worse. She'd have to check her notepad when they got back. That hardly mattered right now though, and she tried to push the thought aside as they approached a more difficult part of the path.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaede

For now Kaede noted the activity of the girl that had "gone to the bathroom". lt was rather suspicious behavior given that it had apparently taken that long for it to occur. However, she wasn't about to make a scene over it. Now certainly wasn't the time and she had a lot of things on her plate. How would she even begin to find Kallisto? Clearly there was some way as Eden had confidence and wanted her to get close to her. lt was achievable then... how was the only answer left. For now though, she just wanted to get out of these woods.

Kallisto

That was certainly interesting. Either Layla was waking up of her own accord, something Kallisto found rather hard to believe, or the ghost had somehow managed to access her still-slumbering consciousness. "Layla shouldn't be awake yet, but a ghost of that magnitude is rather impossible as well." Kallisto mused. She considered leaving Arturia in the dark a little longer, it would be a lot easier to explain things if Arturia asked how Katherine knew so much, but decided against it. Better to lay everything out in the open. "That person you met was indeed Layla and Lilith at the same time. The goddesses are not only real, they've been reincarnated here and now." Kallisto explained, wholly expecting Arturia to write this off as insanity. "I don't know how the ghost was powerful enough to show you Layla despite Lilith still being blind to her identity, but I think its motive is the same as mine. It wants you to protect her and help wake her up." Kallisto stopped and waited for Arturia to express doubts about the sanity of what she was being told.

That frown of confusion and concern seemed to be entrenching itself on Arturia's countenance. "Umm," she began once again, further demonstrating her gift with words and language. "So you're saying that I'm not actually seeing things, not being pranked, and . . . now the goddesses are coming back. I gotta say, I'd have a couple questions for them if that were true." The bitter note at the end of that was unmistakable. Or, well, as bitter as a fifteen-year-old could manage, anyway. "It's, uh, I'm not trying to be disrespectful but it's a little hard for me to believe. I'm, well, not a practitioner or whatever the right term is, to start. And to be totally honest, it's easier to believe we're both crazy than believe that the goddesses are being reincarnated as girls I know." Her tone didn't sound anything close to outright rejection; she was still clearly trying to think through the issue. At least, until she drew back slightly, looking at her teacher suspiciously. "Unless you're in on the prank."

Kallisto

"I figured you'd say something like that." Kallisto said, "But all is well, I have proof." Kallisto stood up and stepped away from the table.

Spoiler

A dull orange light surrounded Kallisto, seeming to flicker like a fire. It lingered for a few moments before dissipating. In its wake it left a totally different outfit, one which was quite opposite to what had been there before. Instead of a modest turtleneck and skirt, Kallisto was dressed in a golden ribbon wrapped around her chest and torso, a much shorter skirt of the same color as the ribbon hung loosely from her waist. Her hair had changed as well, it was tied in an extremely large loop that fell to meet her waistline. Her stomach, chest, back, and the upper half of her legs were all tattooed with a checkerboard of red and skin, including the rather large amount of breast Arturia could now see.

But more important than clothing or hair was the feeling that welled up in Arturia's soul that told her the woman she was facing was indeed the goddess Kallisto. No matter how hard she might try to deny it, there was no real doubt in her mind of its truth.

Arturia was quiet for a moment or two. The look of doubt seemed to have met an untimely end, at least. Were her tastes slightly different she probably would have taken a few extra moments to gawk - Katherine (Kallisto?) wasn't an unattractive woman, and she was wearing a ribbon. And a short skirt. ". . . Yeah that's pretty hard to argue with, not going to lie. Pardon me for a moment as I completely reassess my metaphysical belief system." So. The gods were real. She'd just implied that she was unhappy with them, though Kallisto seemed to be ignoring that for the time being. The numerous arguments she'd made founded on the illogic of a divine existence and, well, what a potential divinity would have to be like to create the world as it was were starting to make her feel equal parts embarrassed and deeply concerned. "So, uhm, yeah that's. . . ahem. I'm probably going to trust you on the ghost thing, which um, leaves the question of why the Goddess of Power needs to be protected from anything."

Kallisto

After what Arturia had told her, Kallisto was actually expecting to witness a full-blown existential crisis. The girl was taking this whole thing impressively well. "The thing is, Lilith is unaware of her identity. I would show myself to her, but the shock from such a revelation would be much more extreme for her than a regular girl. It's best if she discovers herself on her own like I have. " Kallisto explained, "Meanwhile, there are malicious forces at work that seek to steal or destroy her power. I can't let that happen. This world is broken, and it can't be fixed without all of our powers together."

Riley

Riley casually walked over to Kaede, steadying her pace just behind the corner of Kaede's vision. "Your path is yours. But Alexus is mine." she whispered. She then ran forward to catch up with Miss Carstin, seeming very worried about the fainted Lexi.

Kaede

"That's fine little one... Alexis is not the goddess that has done me harm. l have no need to destroy her... but stand in my way and l'll destroy your light. Then... you will be as l." Kaede whispered to herself as the girl left. She had no quarrel with that goddess for now. But, should she in the future Kaede felt like Riley wouldn't be a problem. Not if she plucked the light from her that made her want to possess Lexi as her own. lt would unravel so easily. Light was a fragile thing after all... but a red string wrapped around a figure. lt'd not take much for it to come loose... or so Kaede felt in her broken soul. After all... she now knew how to make things within her image. She wanted to laugh at how simple it was, but... no laughter ever came. lt sat at the back of her throat a half formed emotion. lt was all she was capable of.

What a cursed soul she was... a broken little doll in a broken little world. She'd tear it apart... that was all this world deserved.

"I see. . ." This was a lot to take in. Goddesses are around, apparently, but not aware they're goddesses, except for the one. And she wasn't allowed to tell the others, because it would be too shocking or something. Or, well, couldn't prove herself or something. "This might, uh, be a bit of a weird question, but is there anything I can do to help? I mean, assuming you're not lying to me and actually trying to kill the others or something, but it's probably a bit much to try and make accusations at this point." She was blabbering a bit, and she knew it, but hey, it was a weird situation "The world is pretty screwy, honestly, and if you say you can fix it, then I'd be game." 

Kallisto

"I can't promise it can ever be completely repaired, but I promise to bring it as close to possible to what it should have been." Kallisto lied, though Arturia wouldn't be able to detect it. After all, it was a lie Kallisto had been telling herself for years. "I think the best way for you to help is to guard Lilith and attempt to coax her towards realizing who she is. I can unlock for you the power to do this. When faced with danger, will your power to manifest and it will do so. I can't say what form it will take, so you'll have to figure that out for yourself, but it should become obvious when you use it." Kallisto closed her eyes and focused on unlocking Arturia's inheritance. She was surprised to find it already unlocked, but decided not to inform Arturia, that would only complicate things further. "Prayers are likely near done by now, so you'd best be getting back to your cabin. I'll make arrangements for you to meet Lilith tomorrow."

Everyone

The group with Miss Carstin got Lexi to a nurse and then attended prayers. Once prayers were over, everyone returned to their cabins to sleep.

~The next day and such~

Everyone but Arya and Natalie

The following morning, after breakfast and morning prayers (for those who bothered, morning prayers were a personal event and many just ignored them), the girls were split into rather large groups for their morning activities. The group comprised of cabins 1-8, around 30 girls in total, was sent off to a large field to play dodgeball. Sports weren't generally a popular event, but nonetheless an unavoidable activity. Arturia, Kaede, Cici, Sharp, Haley, and Lilith were placed on a team with two other girls, with Alva, Platinum, Esyllt, Riley, Lexi, and Naya on the opposing team, also with two others. The balls were placed in the center along the line separating the two teams, waiting to be retrieved when the game began.

(OOC: And thus our first instance of combat is a game of dodgeball. The game will actually start after everyone has a chance to make an establishing post. There's four balls, if you get hit you're out. If you catch a ball you can bring a teammate back in. Play nice, the main goal isn't actually the game, the game is to facilitate talking.)

Arya and Natalie

While most girls were off doing their morning activities, Arya and Natalie were faced with the main downside of being classified as a delinquent: Chores. They were tasked with assisting the staff with dishwashing. Thus they currently stood next to one another in the kitchen, working to rapidly dry the dishes they received from the dishwasher before the next load would be ready. Natalie didn't seem to troubled by the task, in fact she almost seemed to enjoy it. Not that she would admit it, instead she chose to complain under her breath about the fact that it was messing up her nail polish.

Alva

Alva was one of those that took part in the morning prayers herself, but she was quick to leave them for the day's activities. When she heard what the game was going to be, she was practically giddy - it'd be a lot of fun! She did walk over to Lexi though. "Hey, are you alright? You sort of passed out yesterday. Did the nurse figure out what it was?" she said, as she stretched and got ready to dash for the balls.

Kaede

While she was happy that Arturia was with her this time around... this wasn't exactly what Kaede had in mind. Sports... were not something she was a fan of. But, she guessed she had no choice and resigned to her fate. She could get out of the game by just refusing to play but she'd rather not give people more reasons to pay attention to her that were negative, so she would have to... try. She stood behind Arturia, holding onto her sleeve. "Arturia... why did it it have to be dodgeball? l'm l just never going to have time to read?"

The silver-haired girl shrugged. "It could be worse, I guess. That reminds me, there was a book I was going to lend you once I had a chance to be done with the ridiculousness that was the rest of the students this year. Unfortunately that has lasted until. . . pretty much right now. Don't let me forget to give it to you once we get back." She didn't dread dodgeball as much as Kaede seemed to, but it didn't save her from being absolute garbage at it. She had a throwing arm that was only slightly better than the average toddler's. Arturia wasn't focused on that at the moment, though; she was still trying to come to terms with what she'd seen and heard last night. And wondering if Kallisto had actually heard her experimentally participating in prayer that morning (likely for the first time in years). It wasn't really for anything in particular; she just wanted to see if the goddess could actually hear them.

Dishes. Didn't really surprise Arya. Wasn't that big a deal either, all things considered; what with dad out either trying to find odd jobs or barter whatever he could, she had always figured washing things up was the least she could do to help out. That and it truly was a basic yet essential skill, for those who lacked the luxuries of middle class living. That was of course, assuming they even had a roof and for walls, or cutlery to eat and cook with. Or something to eat at all.

"Well, could be worse..." Arya muttered, deftly taking, drying, putting away and moving on to another dish, in a steady, rhythmic pattern "Especially considering...yesterday. Um...about Yesterday, by the way...." 

She trailed off, face again beginning to flush at the memory.

Kaede

"You have a new book for me?" Kaede asked it rhetorically of course. But, it was one of few things she actually felt... excitement for. Even through the break her her soul she was still always excited for the next book that Arturia would give to her. They made Arturia happy, and Kaede thought maybe that would be the key to finding her own. Further, while she liked reading on her own she never was able to express enough of an interest to pick out a book herself. She never felt strongly enough to make that call. Arturia could help do that for her, after all she was a friend.  "Then we need to finish this quickly..." a dull ember burned in her cool blue eyes. Arturia would know that was about all the fervor Kaede was capable of mustering.

Esyllt

It was odd, but Esyllt felt mentally drained from the day before. The hike itself wasn't that physically taxing, as the hike had been cut short that day, but she couldn't shake off the feeling that something else had happened. She decided she would just sleep it off later, if time allowed her to have a nap. She eyed the four balls lined up in the middle, shaking her head as there wasn't nearly enough balls for the amount of people they had. Most of the girls would probably end up standing around, including her. Esyllt began to do some stretches, for what it was worth. She wanted to sit out at the sidelines and just laze about today.

Natalie

Natalie turned bright red. When she'd confessed she'd already been so full of emotion that she hadn't had time to feel embarrassed. With things so much calmer now, it rushed to the surface with a burning vengeance. The dish she was drying had certainly been finished several times, but her mind was too distracted to realize it. She willed her cheeks not to catch fire from the heat, took a deep breath, and responded as calmly as she could, "I meant everything I said. I... I like you a lot Arya." She went quiet. Natalie couldn't find the courage to say more, to ask the question that had been tugging at her heart. Did Arya feel the same way?

Lexi

Lexi smiled at Alva. "Oh, it wasn't a big deal, Miss Alva. My breathing was acting up is all." She said dismissively, "I didn't notice because I was distracted by a tree." She didn't look Alva in the eye, instead looking past her to watch the teacher that would direct them to start and remaining poised to dash towards the center.

Lilith

Lilith stood off on her own, trying to make her presence as small as possible. Her cabin mates were in the game with her, but she didn't like them. They were Laylites and, despite Lilith's daily prayers to the goddess, she didn't much get along with others of her line. There were others as well, but she didn't know them. Though she had the nagging feeling she'd met Arturia before, though she didn't know where.

"And uh.... I....I..." She what? Not even she knew. Never really thought too much of this stuff before, given well.... she was a goddamn drek as far as most people cared. Just some pathetic Mack who lived with her equally pathetic father out in the woods, barely scraping just below the poverty line. No one had ever wanted her like.... well, this before. She'd never expected someone to either. Infact, it had been easy to put it from her altogether, focus on more important things back then. But lo and behold, here it was. Staring her right in the face. Such a twist, it was like one of those crappy, worn novels she sometimes used to convince the old librarian to give to her instead of throw out.

Yet, try and be cynical about it though she did, it wasn't so easy to write off as one of those shitty romance stories. Thinking about it, Natalie was the closest thing she had to a friend, period. The one person who'd actually bother to talk to her and whom she could stand talking to, told things no one else had heard, or ever would hear. One of the few she felt even remotely safe enough to drop the snark and the smartassery, let out a glimpse of what she was really like. She could feel herself blushing even hotter now...

"Is... is this what it feels like? She already knows me better than anyone else here- hell, she's probably the only one who actually knows me" yet still, something hesitated. The cynical little part of herself. The part that warned her that this would never work. That it sounded too good to be true, because it was, and she was only setting herself up for pain later on. Not for the first time in the four years she'd been enrolled, she wished dad was here to give some of his sage advice. But just as with all the other times that wish was made- he wasn't. She'd have to figure it out on her own...

"Can I really not trust even one person like that? Is it really so asinine to just take a chance? So what if it.... if it doesn't work? What do I have to lose, what have I ever had to lose?"

Her cynic was swift and blunt as a hammer: Her life. The one and only person she could actually call a friend. Her scholarship. Well, her life constantly teetered on the edge, as far as Arya was really concerned, so that was nothing new. She was used to being alone too, hell, aside from her dad she'd been alone up until Mother Opium so graciously became her benefactor. Beyond even that, in the times when her and Natalie weren't able to talk, which was most of the time, she was still alone. So the change on that front wouldn't be very much either.. would just be returning to the way things had always been.

As for her scholarship... well fuck, the cynic was really scraping the bottom of the barrel, wasn't she? Arya doubted Mother Opium would go revoking her sponsorship over this- if anything, Arya was actually doing as she instructed in the first place: figure out what was wrong. 

To hell with it. There was something here, she may not have known what, but at least it felt genuine. Better to take the chance and risk getting burned, than being too damn afraid to acknowledge it in the first place. Maybe this was some indication that things didn't have to be quite as shitty as they'd always been. And if she was wrong about that, and this was just the way shit would always be... well it's not like she would really be surprised at this point. She took a solemn breath, steeling herself as she looked at Natalie,

"I... I never really thought someone would ever want me. Just didn't think about it at all till now, but... I... I think I might feel the same. Never really been with anyone before, but...um.... I'd be willing to give this a chance, if... if you are too..."

Natalie

Natalie's heart jumped at Arya's response. "I don't really know what I'm doing either." She confessed. She'd had girlfriends before, but that was always just showing off and there had never really been anything. "But I'd like nothing more than to figure it out with you." She finally put down the dish she'd been drying and moved to the next, attempting to put her focus back on the chore at hand. "For now let's just focus on enjoying our time together at camp; take things as they come. Though maybe we should tell mom before she has a chance to figure it out for herself?" Natalie chuckled, "Assuming she hasn't already." Natalie's mother had a tendency to know about everything Natalie did. Natalie was pretty sure it was just the result of popularity and rumors, but she hadn't totally ruled out psychic powers yet.

Arya

Well, at least they'd be totally lost about this together. That was something, right?

"Yeh... yeh, that sounds good." She nodded with a smile, before turning back to the dishes she dried with a nervous chuckle "And uh, yeah. We probably should... better she hears it right from us, I suppose"

Oh yes, that would be an.... extremely interesting conversation, Arya could feel it now. Even if she was fairly certain Mother Opium would take it in good graces, there was still something to be said of the sheer awkwardness of explaining how things had gone with her little task, when they got back. Assuming the woman didn't already somehow know as Natalie said, that is.... which Arya wasn't certain made the whole prospect of that inevitable conversation better, or worse. Speaking of which....

"Should I?" she glanced at Natalie, ever so briefly... "...nah. She wanted me to get to the bottom of this, and well, one way or another, that's pretty much what's happened here... no real point bringing it up, given well.... how things actually turned out. Does make me wonder, how much did Mother Opium already suspect, when she put this together?" 

The answer came surprisingly fast to her: probably most of it, if not all. She certainly wouldn't put it past the headmistress... Natalie was her own daughter and all.

Natalie

"If we get done with these dishes quick enough, maybe Miss Bates will give us some free time." Natalie attacked the wet dishes with renewed vigor. Sharla Bates was a middle aged Nayrist who taught various higher math classes at OI, as well as the teacher supervising the two delinquents. She wasn't all that strict and could care less about schoolyard politics, if you had a passing grade she was indifferent to you. It was no stretch that she'd let Arya and Natalie off early if they got that passing grade in dishwashing.

"Arya, would you come here a moment?" And speaking of, it seemed Miss Bates was in need of Arya as she called from the outer door.

"Guess you better see what she needs. Hopefully not more chores." Arya didn't much have a choice, but Natalie couldn't help but wish otherwise.

Outside

Spoiler

Leaving Natalie to empty the next load from the dishwasher, Arya headed out the back to find Miss Bates. There was no teacher in sight outside the door, forcing Arya to search a bit. It didn't take her long to check around the corner of the building and find Miss Bates. And she quickly regretted it.

Arya had seen plenty of horrible and shocking things in her life, but nothing quite like this. Miss Bates lay with her face in the dirt and a massive gash clean through her that ran from the base of her neck to her left hip. The splattering of her innards was burnt black, as though it had been thrown into a fire as her body was rent apart. The wall and ground beside were singed with charred blood. The whole scene was extremely surreal and potentially vomit-inducing.

Leaning against the wall next to the blackened bloodstain was the person Arya could only assume was Miss Bates's murderer. She was a girl near to Arya's age, perhaps even younger. Her short hair and visible eye were colored as flame, her other eye hidden by an eyepatch with a symbol designed after the substance. Her cheeks were stained with freckles and a bit of blood. She was dressed in an orange tank top, black leather jacket, jean shorts, and heavy black boots. Most significantly, a scythe with a crimson blade was held in her hand, it's tip resting on the ground; covered in yet more charred blood.

The murderess raised herself from the wall upon seeing Arya, but refrained from approaching. "Unfortunate timing on her part." She shook her head sadly. "If she'd waited a little longer to call you, I wouldn't have to clean you up." She shifted her scythe around into a two-handed grip and began to approach, the tip dragging behind her and slicing through the ground. It was clear she intended to attack before Arya had any chance to recover from the shock of the situation.

(OOC: Meet the inquisitor. Nothing good will ever happen to you again.)

((OOC: NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOOOOOOOOOOPE NOPE.))

ARYA

"Oooooh shiiit...miss... bates?" Almost immediately after spotting the body, Arya had stopped in her tracks. No end of things ran through her mind, as she took in the scene. As many times as she'd gutted and cleaned her own meals, with everything her father had taught her, all the sight of the burned innards serve to do was quicken her pulse, make her mind begin to run even wilder with a barely contained wave of panic. Try though she did to tear them away, her eyes remained fixated on the scene, burning every last detail into her mind. Almost subconsciously, she began to backpedal, seeking to put as much distance between herself and the carnage- and it's cause, whatever the hell could even do this type of damage to a person -as she could. It was only when the killer spoke up that she finally managed to focus her gaze somewhere else

"Unfortunate timing on her part. If she'd waited a little longer to call you, I wouldn't have to clean you up."

The rising trepidation in her gut was undercut by confusion, as she stared at the girl's outfit. Before she could ask anything though, her eyes focused on the weapon- obviously the thing that had just cleaved her old math teacher in fucking two like she was butter, and anything she could've said died on her tongue. Except for one thing... one thing she shouted as loud as she could, once the- Arya didn't even know what she was -started marching towards her

"NATALIE!!!!!!" 

Having already been backing away even before she'd noticed the killer, heart pounding, adrenaline pumping, and fight or flight instincts taking over, Arya promptly turned on her heels and dashed back the way she'd come around the building exterior as fast as she could. She wasn't much for genuine prayers, but by the goddesses, she was doing it now, praying to Nayru or... hell, whoever the fuck might be listening up there, that she could reach the side door and get both of them out of there, and away from psycho-scythe-bitch...

Kindle

Spoiler

Kindle picked up her pace, the scraping of her scythe growing louder as it tore its line of death through the ground. Arya rounded the corner, but Kindle was just behind. There was a loud clinking noise as the tip of her scythe dug into the building's concrete wall. She used it to propel herself rapidly through the air around the corner, her foot slamming into Arya's back and sending the frightened girl sprawling, face in the dirt much like her dead teacher. Kindle landed smoothly on her feet and continued her assault, bringing her scythe around for a slash that tore a shallow cut in the back of Arya's leg. No real damage done, but Kindle didn't let the miss deter her. She stepped closer and pulled the scythe back for another strike, its surface glowing with heat and energy.

Platinum

To be completely honest, Platinum wasn’t looking forward to this game, though that may be her lack of physical exercise compared to everyone else. Nevertheless, she had come along to the actual game, since she had no choice in the end, and had made sure to pull her hair back a bit more so it wasn’t as close to the ground as it normally was.

Now though, Platinum was just standing around, arms crossed as she waited for the actual thing to start. Not much she could really to besides wait, after all.

Arya...

She lay there, breathless as the scythe loomed overhead. Closer, closer, she could feel it with every step its wielder took. Even as she feebly tried to crawl away she knew it was worthless, only delaying the inevitable now that'd been knocked aground. Oh how familiar it was, the sensation racking her entire being. To be helpless. To be worthless. To vainly struggle in this constant battle for survival, when the game had been rigged from the very beginning, and the odds forever against the favor of her and dreks like her everywhere. 

Yet she kept trying to fight this pointless battle. She didn't know why... what did she really have to live for? What had she really accomplished, in the time she'd had? Nothing. Born of nothing, raised in it, molded by it. Just the same as her mother, who'd gone off and enlisted as soon as she was old enough, shed blood and saved lives in the name of her country, and for her service was tossed aside as the worthless, broken tool of the state she'd become. Just as her father, born in chains, how he would live and die dictated by the whims of an unjust system perpetuated by a wretched and festering society.

And yet, even as the defeatist thought entered her mind, she could not help but realize, there was an inherent difference there. Between her father and her mother. One had simply lied down like a dog and simply accepted defeat, after devoting so many years to something she believed in, something she trusted, but still being cast aside despite her service and her faith in the mission. The other had spent his whole life as the lesser to others, had been wise enough to recognize the reality of his situation, the foul mechinations of the system all around him... but he had kept pressing on, despite knowing it was all rigged, that he has no hope of truly breaking the chains he'd been beset with since birth. 

She asked herself, why? But she already knew why, had known why for too long to remember. He'd done it for her. And before her, he'd still had something to keep pressing forward. Despite the laughable progress of what little he earned. Despite all the blood and sweat he shed working one hazard ridden, god awful job after the next, his life as expendable as a mule's, easy to replace as a broken tool. Despite all the times there was no food, and no game to turn into food, and he'd gone hungry so she didn't have to. Despite all the other times he had to sacrifice, simply so she could have what little she did. Never complaining. Never getting discouraged- weary, yes, but discourage, disheartened? Never. As stoic and dependable as a rock in the midst of a storm.

And what had she done with what he'd worked to give her? What had she made of herself, to honor his endless toil and his sacrifice for her? 

Nothing but a smartass snarker who was about to get herself killed. That was what.

"Dad...I'm sorry" She slowly lay her head back into the dirt, by now the futility setting in, and the scythe that had been looming over her coming done to end her worthless existence. There was something hot and moist, just behind her eyes. She made little effort to stop the tears as they flowed "You gave me.... everything you could... and instead of making it matter, I go and get myself killed...I'm...I'm-"

"This life is the only one you have."

Words from long ago. Words that surged to the forefront of her mind, as the end drew ever closer.

"Whatever you choose to do with it, live with purpose."

Words that with every last one she recalled, she felt something welling inside of her. Something that made her mind renew and body renew their efforts, bit by bit.

"This world chews up the weak, and spits them out without mercy. It is cold, callous, and unforgiving. Even brilliant lights cease to burn, if they falter."

A fire, burning brighter, brighter by the moment, like a miniature sun within her soul. The memories of that fateful conversation blocking out all else. Strength returned to her arms, her teeth grit, her eyes glinted. The Scythe was nearly down...

"If you learn nothing else from me, Arya... please, learn this. You must either find or make your own meaning in this world, if you've any hope to survive. Let no one else dictate it for you as you search, and Once you find it, do not let them take it from you either. Do not forget what or who you are, for the world surely will not. Wear it like armor, and they cannot be used to harm you. And when you die... make sure you do so with no regrets."

Spoiler

And by the time it finished it's descent, Arya was gone. With something she could not name driving her body, the words of her father driving her mind, she rolled out of the killer's reach with frightening speed, just as the killer's scythe met nothing but empty earth. She fixated on the girl, eyes unnaturally bright as a thin film of crystal and soft grey light moved it's way up her body as she reached out, and grasped hold of something she did not even know was within her. Voices, countless voices, images, people, places, things- things she had known, things she had clung to, and things she had lost, all flowing across the surface of the film like some ethereal mirage.

From head to toe, it engulfed her. Just as suddenly as it had manifested, it shattered with a burst of slate-grey radiance, a scream accompanying it- raw, unbridled, more like that of a cornered animal finally retaliating than a human being. No sooner than the inhuman screech of defiance came, did two shots ring out for all the camp to hear, and hot, ethereal lead conjured of dreams and memories sped their way towards Kindle.

Arya rose from her crouching stance, fully expecting the bitch to keep coming and keeping the weapon- a weathered, medium caliber pistol, standard issue within the Nayu Armed Services -Leveled at her assailant's center mass. Gone were the tears in her eyes, gone was the fear now. All that was left a slowly burning contempt- both for the girl who wielded the scythe, and the girl who'd been on the ground mere moments ago, just as ready to accept as unjust a death as this as some pathetic dog would be. The crimson had left her eyes, once more storm grey as they had in years prior. So too had the virgin white hues darkened in her hair, black as sin and smoother than silk. Slate Grey half circles run up and down the entire length of the right side of her body, though only the half of her face was exposed to show it, where it arranged to encircle her own eye and before radiating out over the rest of her skin, like some bizarre war paint.

Gone was the t-shirt, jacket, and shorts she'd worn, gone were the cheap sunglasses. In their place, a dark grey dress extending down to her calves, A long sleeve covering her left arm, clad in a black ballroom glove that danced with countless motes of celestial light that randomly shifted in their intensities and position. The outfit was sleeveless on its right side with a matching slit running from the right hip down, exposing an arm and leg now clad in an immaculate ebony-hued armor, adorned with a celestial display matching her glove. Twin belts had formed around her hips, one of bearing an empty quiver while the other held numerous empty pouches along it's length, just waiting to be filled...

"Let no one else dictate it for you as you search, and Once you find it, do not let them take it from you either. Do not forget what or who you are, for the world surely will not."

One last time, father's words echoed, as the transformation finished, and the last of the pale grey light faded from the world. 

"I won't." She answered them through clenched teeth.