[IC] ANKL. Part I: Awakening

Shamitako

Arya

Unsurprisingly, Arya had sprung to her feet and was at Natalie's side the moment she fell. Not that she'd been able to do much either way, considering well... what the fuck were you supposed to do when there was liquid metal crawling around under someone's skin? Like it or not, she was far outside of her element... and so with some reluctance, she'd backed away when Mother Opium had rushed forward, looking on as Nat slowly came to.

And somehow, she didn't seem any worse for wear when she did. Except for the spikes. The spikes that... she could now shoot from her hand apparently. Okaaaaay then, just another thing to put under the "Strange shit that is my life now" column. Though, truth be told... it reminded Arya of an old novel she'd salvaged from the library; some sci-fi thing where a bunch of machines that had gone haywire in the future travelled back in time to wipe out humanity. The damn robot that terrorized everyone was made out of liquid metal or some such bullshit, could shift forms to mimic people's appearances perfectly or form it's arms into blades...

Well, alright, maybe Natalie didn't really fit the whole metal chamaeleon aspect, but the arm blades were a definite match.

"Mother Opium," she began "What...exactly was that substance anyway? Where did you get it from?"

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alva blinked. "Transform? Me? Like... magic? I-I can't do that..." she stammered. But then... she felt a tingling, something strange. Something powerful. This wasn't the fear she'd been feeling, as she initially thought, but something else entirely. This was something... supernatural, in nature. "W-What... when...?" she muttered, then took a deep breath. Resolve. This woman... she wanted to hurt her. She was dangerous. Who knew how many she'd hurt in the past? Who knew what she'd do to Alva's friends to get to her? Normally, she'd be afraid. Anyone would be, a powerless teenager faced with magic beyond comprehension. But she wasn't normal anymore. Now she could do something about it. A green glow suffused her skin, as she tapped into the power that had been unlocked without her knowledge, and a flash of light later, Alva looked different. 

Alva was still clearly herself, in magical form, but with a few changes - she stood a little taller and straighter, her hair was longer. Her eyes, always a bright green, seemed to glow a little with power, along with the pattern of green diamonds cris-crossing significant parts of her skin. Her clothing had changed dramatically - no longer a simple gym uniform, but a pale green dress, conforming to her body shape and with probably entirely too many frills, emerald-like gems studded in the gloves and chest (on which the neckline displays enough to tease, but not show off too much). She wears a circlet with another gem set in the center. She is also wearing stockings and tall but thin boots, following the same green-and-purple color scheme as the rest of her outfit. She blinks, not seeming to have realized she'd transformed until she takes a step with more grace than she'd thought she had. "...I... I have... I have magic..." she says quietly - and with probably more excitement than the situation really warrants. 

She thought she had an idea of what she could do, as well - it was dangerous for her, as she would become quite... fragile, in that form. But if she used it right, she was sure she could help Kaede, Riley, and Essylt fight! "I think I'm r-ready to help!" she said, taking a stance that left her ready to move.

Lilith

Lilith stared at Arturia's hand for a while before wordlessly accepting it. She knew it was a mistake, trusting people who offered to help had always been a mistake, but under the circumstances she didn't see much choice. The world around was totally destroyed, the devastation becoming all the clearer now that the sky was no longer blotted out by a curtain of dust. The forest they'd been standing in had been reduced to an empty crater. Lilith actually wasn't sure how they were supposed to get back, the edge of the crater seemed really tall and she was afraid of trying to climb it. She was also a little worried that Arturia was wrong, and their attacker was still about.

Trick

"I'm dead people!" Trick told the diminutive one.

Alexus rubbed her eyes to make sure what she was seeing was real. "What is even happening today?" She asked rhetorically.

"The magic is bent, darkness spins off-kilter." Trick answered anyways. She looked between Alexus and the diminutive one, they both seemed quite confused. She would have explained more of what was happening, but she didn't want to accidentally drive Alexus mad. Instead, she decided to get to business. "Where may we find a guardian of the future?" She asked. The question was mostly directed at the diminutive one, though there was a slight possibility Alexus might be close enough to awakening to discover the answers Trick needed.

Esyllt

"Wait, slow down just a second..." she said in a daze. She was having a hard time wrapping her head around the recent events. An explanation just wouldn't cut it in this situation; there were too many things happening concurrently that it would seem far too troublesome to even comprehend. Esyllt decided that it just wasn't worth it to rationalize what was in front of her, lest she begin to question her own sanity. Rather, it might be worthwhile to deal with the current progression of events. That being, everyone else being eagerly willing to be complicit in murder. "So you're telling me just about everyone here can... transform."

Arturia wasn't really certain about the idea of guiding the girl by hand, but she'd already grabbed it and wasn't actually certain she'd continue to follow if she let go. And so, off the two went toward the edge of the crater and hopefully toward camp, with Arturia awkwardly gripping the smaller girl's hand and trying to stay calm. She let out a half-sigh, cutting it off midway as she glanced around; she'd rather not be taken unawares and rely on the mercy of her attacker a second time. "So, uhhh. . . This is the part where I'd try to make small talk to try and make this seem less crazy, if I was actually any good at small talk." 

Platinum

For the most part, Platinum couldn’t help but be completely confused as to what the girl meant. She didn’t exactly ask WHAT she was, but HOW she was floating upside down… But instead got the answer of “I’m dead people”. Which made no sense except for the fact that she was a… Spirit of some kind? That would explain why she was floating upside down in the air at least.

However, the girl’s response to Aislin’s question, and then question towards her caused Plat to let out a flat “What?”  in response, unfolding her arms as she did so. What did she mean by “a guardian of the future”? And why did she direct the question towards her?

Either she was being metaphorical or… Literal. Which at this point wouldn’t even surprise her.

Kaede

She had powers too? lt... Alva must've been unaware of their presence before, if she did not even try to use them during the previous loop. Kaede had wondered what Riley had meant. She knew of the other girl's powers. From before, when Eden had spoke to them. She had no more more memories of that occurance, nor did Alva. She... was there after all. Only Kaede remembered. lt seemed as if these 2 were to be part of this world regardless of their memories or not. She felt... something. She didn't know what to call it, but she could feel soemthing invisible weigh in her stomach. She had hoped that Alva would be spared this world, what it truly was, but perhaps trying to hide from people was cruel in and of itself. Kaede didn't really know but now was hardly the time to be thinking on this.

"So, you have this power too? Perhaps we share a curse then..." Kaede said walking towards Alva. She wasn't sure what the green signified, but if she remembered correctly it was the colour of her markings that allowed Eden to figure her element. She wondered what Alva's could be.  The ribbons shifted around her, their movements stiff and organic from the outside as they lagged behind her ever so slightly as she moved. She looked into Alva's eyes once again. This time, Kaede's eyes weren't the calm blue lakes that Alva had once saw before. They were dying embers of orange, much like the outfit she was wearing. The sparks left by a dying flame, light that struggled to hold onto life. They were still calm, however a different kind perhaps. The kind of calmness present in those that had embraced their fate, no matter how horrible it was, and faced it head on. She put her hands on Alva's face, gently, carefully. "We'll get out of here. l'll fight as long as l have to get you out of here. l'm glad that you will fight beside me though, that you will also fight for your own fate."

Lilith

Lilith wasn't good at small talk either, so she wasn't sure how to respond. On top of that, she'd never held another girl's hand for so long before, it was rather embarrassing and she wished she could find a way to let go without making it awkward. Her eyes wandered away from Arturia as she tried to find any words at all that would end the awkward silence. That was when they caught a speck of pristine pink dotting the dull brown and green of the destroyed landscape. "What's that?" She asked, pointing at it. (And using that pointing as an opportunity to free her hand.)

It turned out to be a piece of gum. And it was stuck to a plain business card with the name "Makaylin Argos" and a phone number printed on it. "Call me <3" Was scrawled on it in the worst handwriting Arturia had ever seen. It was so audacious that it was impossible to tell if it was taunting or somehow intended to be serious. Either way, it seemed that the girl with the bat was perfectly alive.

Natalie

Noticing that her mother was giving her a strange look, Natalie retracted the blade. She'd toy with her new ability later, there was more to talk about now.

"As I said, it's a Laylite weapon." Mother Opium explained to Arya, "I honestly don't know any more than that. They're extremely rare, aside from the ones I just gave you, I've only ever seen two before now. Each has unique properties related to their owner, and they can only be used by the person they bond to. As far as I'm aware, there are only three alive capable of forging them, and they guard the secret to the weapon's creation jealously." Mother Opium shifted her body around slightly, following it with a shift in topic. "There's one more thing I need to explain." She said, "While I'm not going to stop you from seeking the goddesses, in fact I'd almost encourage it, if you do find them, you need to be extremely careful. You cannot, under any circumstances, force them to acknowledge their identity." Strangely, Natalie caught her mother shooting Arya a meaningful look here, she wondered what that meant as her mother continued. "If you do, the consequences would be disastrous. At best, they'd go insane. You must let them come to realize who they are of their own accord."

"Right, we'll be careful." Natalie assured. She did want to find the goddesses, if only to find proof of their existence so that she could stop doubting her mother. Though part of it was also that, for some reason, she seemed to have been dragged into this by the girl with the scythe, and Nayru be damned she wanted some answers.

The business card, at least, provided a fair excuse for Arturia to spare both of them the awkwardness of the continued handholding as she moved over to it. "You've gotta be fucking kidding me. . ." She gingerly pried it away from the gum, trying to touch the stuff as little as possible - that was just gross, okay? "Is she fucking. . . Whatever. Lilith, be careful. This is from the girl that attacked us, unless I've gone extra insane and haven't noticed." She would have pocketed the card, except for that one bit where she was still transformed and apparently did not have pockets in her armored. . . dress. . . thing. At least she wasn't just wearing a ribbon. "Let's keep going."

Arya

"Go insa-" Her eyes widened as the earlier implications actually dawned on her, "Oooooooh...understood."

Well that would've been a right shit show, had Natalie not have walked out when she did earlier. Fought off a damn assassin (well more like got her ass kicked by her), only to end up almost doing the bitch's job herself just a half hour later. Irony really did need to go die in a hole, sometimes. Hell, it could even share a ditch with the Church Cronies who'd sicced that psychopath on them to begin with.

"Yes, we'll be quite careful. Is that all, Mother Opium?"

• 2 weeks later...

Riley

Slow down? No, they didn't need to waste time. "Argh!" Riley expressed her frustrations. "We don't have time for this, figure it out on the next loop." She dashed forward and ran her rapier through Katja's chest. Katja made no attempt to avoid the attack, she just smiled coyly. Riley knew what that meant: Killing her would just reset the loop. "Dammit!" Riley spat as the world around her blurred and faded to black.

The world snapped back into view, though it took a few minutes to focus properly. Everything had reset back to the state it had been right after Katja activated her hourglass. Riley and Alva were back to their normal states and Katja no longer had a stab wound in her chest. Riley immediately snapped her sword up and transformed again. "Right, take two. Alva, Esyllt, transform please?" Her tone of voice was obviously frustrated. She didn't have a plan, killing Katja had been her best hope for cancelling the time loop.

Kaede

lt'd seem death wasn't as simple an answer as it would seem. Perhaps to be expected of a demon that could control time. Kaede realized she had already been transfromed when the loop had begun, it'dsave a step everytime it restarted at the least. She wouldn't need to keep willing herself into it. The others however, were a different story. She didn't worry about Riley. The other two however, she didn't know how much they'd retain during the loops or if they were truly aware of their own power but she supposed she'd have to not worry about that. She should try and break this loop. But first.

"The two of you need to help if we're to get out of this loop. This power, is apart of you. Your being. You must simply will it forth... wish for it to be and it shall come to you." she said, hoping that her words would stick with them. And with that she took to her work.

She wasn't sure what she could do to a person with these powers, what she'd see or be able to do. So, she lashed out the ribbons to strike Katja. But, she thought... instead to attach them. Perhaps... she could break something in her. Break something in her like she herself was broken. Perhaps she could darken something, destroy it's illumation. Something... after all she knew that she could do was break the light. She lashed out her ribbons hoping to have the sink into Katja's skin.

Esyllt

"Transform, right. I'll just-" she said in disbelief before a familiar and calming light enveloped Esyllt's clothing, as it unfolded into her halter neck dress and tattoos. Orbs of light danced about around her, as if in tuned with her breathing. She was hoping that everything was some form of disillusion of ill taste, but there was no point in denying reality any more. Esyllt knew nothing of her abilities, but they had to be able to provide some form of assistance if Riley was requesting for everyone's cooperation. That being said, Esyllt hadn't a clue as to where to begin. Utilizing her powers were as unbeknownst to her as they were to the others. Was it as simple as projecting her will onto a target? There was only one way to find out.

With a snap of her fingers, the incorporeal orbs of light that orbited around her began to resonate, forming into many vines. All of which were lashing out towards Katja's hourglass.

Alva

Alva blinked as they were now back where they were, and she was normal again - what? That wasn't... next loop, Riley said? Were they doing it again? That's... alright, not the time to think it through, it seemed. She transformed quickly this time, and prepared for a fight. 

This time, she did something different - she took a deep breath, and suddenly felt cold... but more of a pleasant chill than freezing. When she breathed out her breath turned to mist in the air, as Alva's skin and clothing had turned to a pale blue-green. An ice sculpture in the shape of Alva moved into a ready stance, as the newly minted magical girl prepared for her own attack. 

Riley

Katja swiftly and gracefully moved the hourglass away from Esyllt's attack, her dress fluttering as she spun aside. 「カチャは愚かさを好まない。砂時計を壊すことはあなたの死になるでしょう」She threatened.

Riley wasn't sure what the threat was, but it seemed like Katja didn't want them to smash her hourglass, so obviously that's what they needed to do. It made sense, the hourglass was causing the loop, so breaking it would break the loop as well. "Yes, that's it! Go for the hourglass!" Kaede's attack had gained purchase by now, digging into Katja and attempting to drain the light from her. Yet nothing seemed to be happening aside from some darkening around where the ribbons had latched on. Whatever Kaede was trying to do, it wasn't working. Still, it was at least partially holding Katja in place, which gave Riley an opening. Sword at the ready, she ran forward, attempting to get around Katja and strike at the hourglass.

Trick

Trick pointed her pinky towards the sleeping Alexus. "The maiden of the sea must be protected." She explained, "The emptiness seeks to void the white." It didn't seem like the diminutive one was going to be much help. That was a problem, since there wasn't anyone left to ask. "A lady of deep caring for the sea, one flush with red and white..." she trailed off, "What point is there? Why are we here?" She was short of time. "The sea is lost to grey. Hope remains, seek the night." Flames began to burn across Trick's body, slowly burning holes in her as though she were made of paper. "Hello, goodbye, don't let your heart die." She cautioned.

Mother Opium

"That's all." Mother Opium confirmed, raising herself to her feet. "You two should return to your cabin, I'll send a nurse over right away." When each of the girls had stood up themselves, she gave them a hug. It was a rather strange thing for Arya, as she wasn't used to Mother Opium being quite so affectionate towards her. "I know I've already said it several times, but I'll say it again: Be safe, both of you."

"You be safe too, okay mom?" Natalie answered on her way out the door, causing Helen's eyes to water a little. How cruel the world was, making a teenage girl worry for her mother like that.

Platinum

Once more, Platinum couldn’t help but narrow her eyes as she tried to decipher what they meant. If they wanted to speak in abstract riddles, she’d just have to pick it apart and figure it out herself.

“The maiden of the sea must be protected”... She had to be referring to Aislin. Either, saying that Aislin was the one who needed to protect the “maiden of the sea” (whatever that meant), or she was the maiden in question? Either or, at this point.

"The emptiness seeks to void the white”... The only thing she could figure out from that was that something wanted to destroy another, erase it completely. That could be a million things, all the way up too erasing reality. Which, at this point, wouldn’t even surprise Platinum if there were people plotting to do so, whether or not it was actually possible. She hoped it wasn’t.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t much else Platinum could decipher from the girl’s statements, as they had started to slowly (almost literally) burn away, cutting Platinum off from focusing on deciphering. Instinctively, she took a step towards the girl, determined to at least ask ONE thing, even if she’d get a completely vague response from it, “Hold on, what do you mean by ‘maiden of the sea’?” 

Alva nodded, running around and then rushing towards Katja from a different angle, meaning to try to smash or at least snatch the hourglass - she wasn't sure how to properly use her powers, but her nails should be pretty dang sharp in this form!

Esyllt

Katja's reaction and Riley's remark had only confirmed her suspicions. Regardless of whether or not either of them knew what Esyllt's abilities did, Katja had a reason to avoid her attacks. If this was going to be a game of tag, then she would have to switch tactics. With another snap of her fingers, a second volley of vines barreled towards Katja. Except this time, she sought to have the vines cut off Katja's movement, and lead her towards the girls who were trying to cut Katja off. With the enemy's movement severely hampered, Esyllt decided to join the fray, as she attempted to cut off Katja's escape route. 

Kaede

lt didn't seem to have much effect in terms of her power however the ribbons could physically interact with Katja's body so it seemed at least. The embedment would probably help her try and hold down the woman at least enough to help the others land their strikes. Kaede figured Riley would have to do most of the lifting here but she was fine with that so long as Katja could be driven off. She tried to tie her down with the ribbons wrapping as much of the around Katja's limbs as she could manage and then tugging them taut. 

• 3 weeks later...

(OOC: Deeply sorry for taking so goddamn long on this)

Trick

Trick didn't know what more she could do to communicate Alexus's identity, she'd already pointed and even if she wanted to say more, her mouth had already burned away. Using the entirety of her force of will, she held her presence intact for a short while longer. She used that time to raise what was left of her arm and try to better direct the diminutive one's attention to Alexus. She didn't know how far away she would manifest, it could be some time before she could find a proper knight for the goddess of luck, until then she hoped that the diminutive one would be enough to protect her.

Riley

With Katja unable to escape thanks to Esyllt and Kaede limiting her movement, Riley and Alva were easily able to close the distance and strike at her hourglass. Alva's attack came first, with Katja just barely managing to swing her weapon out of the way. Riley anticipated this move, however, and her sword pierced the hourglass, shattering it open. There was a moment of nothing, where the world seemed to cease existing entirely and she couldn't move. And then a moment became an eternity as Riley realize that not only was she still trapped, she was somehow trapped somewhere worse than before.

After several eternities with her mind fading and returning many times across the endless expanse of time, Riley finally noticed that the world wasn't actually empty. No, in fact the problem was that it was completely full. A solid mass encompassed her, completely preventing her movement. And with that, she realized she was choking. Though it hadn't bothered her before, she now felt that the solid emptiness had crept inside her mouth and was blocking her throat.

To the outside observer, these events took less than a second in total. What was seen to them was an explosion of metallic dust from the hourglass that engulfed Riley for a short while before the loop reset.When they were returned to the start of it all, they were met with an extremely disturbed Riley, who simply looked at Katja and laughed.

"I get it now." Riley said eventually, "That's why this doesn't bother you, you've tempered yourself by going through that hell."

Katja nodded solemnly, "Katja tried to warn you."

"She can literally do this forever." Riley directed her next statement to Alva, "You might want to consider giving up for now. Kaede and I will do everything in our power to rescue you before anything bad happens to you, but there's nothing any of us can do from in here."

Alva blinks - one moment, they were fighting, the next they were back where they started, again. She had already transformed again and was activating her power, the chill seeping through her, as Riley recommended they give up. "...Give up? That easily?" she asked, clearly surprised. "You were all gung ho a second ago..." She stood up, leaving her attempt at a combat stance. What had happened that made her want to give up? "I-I'm sorry... I don't think I can do that yet!" she said, suddenly lunging for Katja. She didn't mean to break the hourglass this time though - that had reset them, so it obviously wouldn't work. But maybe, if she could grab it and take it away... That said, she wasn't exactly a competent combatant, and this manuever likely would not work, at least not alone. 

Platinum

Thankfully, Platinum was at least able to catch the point, turning her eyes towards Aislin. At that point, a million thoughts went through Platinum’s head, but her gaze eventually turned back to the floating, burning girl, giving her a nod of understanding. Probably the one thing Platinum really got clearly. Or at least, somewhat clearly.

Once Trick had fully burned away, or if, Platinum would sigh, folding her arms, “I swear to Nayru…” she muttered to herself. At this point her entire view of the world had practically been flipped upside down in less than an hour. She wouldn’t even be surprised if the damn sun came crashing down right about now, “So. You got what she was saying, right?” Platinum asked, turning her head to Aislin.

Kaede

Apparently breaking the hourglass wouldn't work either, as they once more stood here in the moment they had prior. The damned persistence in this one. Kaede was unsure what to do, to give in... but she supposed that Alva was unwilling and that while that was the case she'd not either. So long as she so chose to fight for her freedom and to retain control of her fate... so would she. Perhaps... perhapsit was wrong of her to fight only on someone else's behalf. But... Kaede couldn't help but feel some part of her desire to fight for this girl. Why, she didn't know. She was surprised she felt anything over this or... anything with such clarity. She couldn't decipher it, but she didn't really care. The feeling wasn't grey... lt was different from the grey and indifference she always felt. Perhaps she was meant to follow this up...

Riley

A second ago? That's right, it had only been a short while for the rest of them. Riley didn't remember how she'd felt about the situation before, it had been so long she was surprised she remembered the situation at all. Still, if Alva intended to keep fighting, Riley would as well. "I had a lot of time to think about it." she told Alva, "But if you want to keep fighting then I'll back you up." she paused, she'd had a lot of time to think, and there was one thing she definitely hadn't forgotten. "Uh, by the way, sorry for killing you earlier." She'd been shortsighted in that, and genuinely felt bad for trying to kill Alva without seeking a better solution first. With that said, though perhaps not yet accepted, Riley readied herself to fight once more.

Before any of them could make an attack, however, a strange purple sphere encompassed the hourglass. Katja looked confused by this, and seemed about to say something, but another girl walked up and punched Katja in the jaw, knocking her out cold. This girl had short, pale pink hair and matching eyes. She wore a white, short sleeved, hooded jacket which was unzipped in the front. Underneath it was a lamellar vest made of leather, with two plates of purple metal attached to the sides below the ribcage. And underneath that was a padded black shirt. Her hands were adorned with black fingerless gloves which had another metal plate attached across the knuckles. Her wrists and most of her lower arm were covered by leather bracers, though a portion of her arm just past her elbow could be seen to be adorned with a lavender checker pattern. She wore white running shorts with two short curtains of purple cloth hanging off the waist over her upper thighs. Her left leg was covered entirely in the same checker tattoos as her arm and had a small dagger with a wide crossguard strapped to it, while the right had a long purple sock that covered her entire leg up to her knee, both had black combat boots covering her feet. Though Riley herself didn't notice it, there was something distinctly familiar about her to the rest.

"My sincerest apologies for taking so long." The new arrival said, bowing deeply, "I'll be taking things from here, please make your escape." A bubble of purple energy formed around her and Katja, though it wasn't totally clear whether it was to keep Katja in or Riley and the others out. Either way, Riley was more than happy to simply have this whole situation over with, at least for now. And besides, their savior had turned her back to them, it seemed unlikely they would any answers even if they asked for them.

And so, without asking for further explanation, she said, "Let's not waste this chance." And ran toward the cabins as fast as she could. She couldn't wait to see Lexi again, it had been far too long.

"...I, uh, don't know what you're apologizing for? I don't think I'm dead...?" Alva said in response to Riley's apology... she seemed plenty alive, so it didn't seem to make sense that Riley had "killed" her. She'd need to ask about this later. "I'm... sure it's fine though." Now was probably not the best time to think about it, as Alva prepared to attack. They'd have plenty of time when this was over. If it was. She knew that this was probably pointless, if she could loop forever. But she had to get... tired, eventually, right? And Alva just couldn't go with her. Not to that fate. She had finished turning to ice...

And then somebody came out of nowhere, told them to leave, and did a bubble thing around both them and their assailant. For a moment Alva stared, and then Riley's words knocked her out of it. "R-Right! Thank you for you help whoever you are!" Always important to be polite. It was at this point Alva turned back, her transformation reversing as quickly as it had appeared the first time and leaving the green-haired and eyed girl in her normal form. Then she turned on her heel, grabbed Kaede's hand, and bolted for the cabins after Riley,