[D&D][Intrest Check] Valkyria: Scales of War

lifesapity

Hi, I was considering starting a high fantasy campaign on these forums using the 5e rule set, and I am just seeing if anyone is interested or would like to know more.
I was thinking of using Roll20 to host it, but I'm of two minds about it so feel free to put your thoughts forward.

Brief World/Campaign Overview

Spoiler

DungeonMag156.jpg

The world has never been a safe place. Bastions of civilization
populate a dark, menacing world—islands of order and reason exist in a
land otherwise overrun by dark cults, vile monsters, creatures from the
dark edges of the imagination, and worse. As deadly as the world is on
a normal day, something has begun to stir on the fringes of the civilized
Elsir Vale. Formerly the site of an attack by an army known as the Red
Hand, the Vale has known several years of peace since brave adventurers
stormed into the teeth of the approaching Hand and sent them scurrying
back into the darkness.

But the peace of Elsir Vale—and specifically, the
town of Brindol, heart of the former conflict with the
Red Hand—has been shattered. The vague shadow of
unease the locals have been experiencing lately has
crystallized in the form of an attack on the town itself.
Now Brindol finds itself once more in need of brave
heroes willing to come to the aid of their citizens.

About Me/The Game

Spoiler

My name is Michael, I have been a DM for ~6 years. Mainly using the various DnD rule-sets (With a couple of one-offs for a few others (Dread being my personal favorite)
I recently moved from Perth to Melbourne, ending my long running Friday night DnD session (though I swear we will finish it <.<)
This will be my first time hosting a RP on a forum, second time participating in one. Any advice on running a game via the new would be appreciated.

The campaign will be based off the 4e Scales of War Campaign published by Wizards of the Coast so if you have played that before please don't spoil anything for the others.
I expect the characters to converse with each other and make decisions themselves based on what is put in front of them, to relieve some stress off me.
I would also prefer characters to at least lean towards good to make the overall narrative easier. And lastly try not to munchkin your character I like all the characters to be of about = power level so no one is overshadowing the others (I'm looking at you Mr. Sorcerer/Warlock Double casting Eldritch bolt with hex)

Edited by lifesapity

Oooh, a D&D campaign that looks like it will be pretty damn metal, well to be brutally honest IDK if I would even be able to join since you seem like you want a non Play by Post game and we have differing enough timezones for that to matter, but I am interested.

Probably going to make a Paladin and then die before we get another level due to obvious reasons related to how people react to anyone attempting to play as a Paladin.

To be honest there are many ways of doing this sort of thing.

You could try Discord which basically allows you to create your own chat server, just start inviting people who want to play and make a separate channel for gaem stuff, a channel for character creation, a channel for character sheet submissions, and a channel for general stuff.

I have never used Rolld20 before, mostly because it's map just won't work for me.

Or you could try doing it here on Reborn.

Of course either way you go you should remember that D&D is still niche in the sense that not a lot of people have played it before, and to be honest all I know about 5E is that School of Knowledge Bards are mathematically awesome, Wizards don't have metamagic but they have a new thing that makes them just as powerful, Clerics and Druids will still make you cry, Paladins won't have to be ridiculous to keep their powers (Since Oathbreaker still counts as a valid Paladin type apparently), and that spell slots are different here.

Also Fighters are as always, Fighters.

I suggest that you allow people to choose between Pre mades or making their own character, as it provides an adequate middle ground for the people who want to make their Dorf Bards a thing, and the people who just don't want to create a character that can barely crawl from one end of the room to the other.

Also I'm sorry if this is too personal, but may I ask what your Timezone is? Feel free to not answer that question.

Also I am a sucker for long and detailed campaign hooks, maybe you should make the hopefully on the way OOC have more fluff? It will also help people who want to make their own characters.

Pretty much the only other question I have left would be what sources you have and allow, well that and do you go with that basic pre rolled stat thing, a point buy system, or do you let the one true dice god decide?

The battles would definately work. I did a full campaign on there but we were using discord...so I suppose lacking a voice chat we could RP there as well. If I remember correctly you can message everyone or private message people on there as well.

@lifesapity

A. I have never played D&D 5E before

B. I promise to use my wannabe power gamer powers for not getting the party killed.

C. I am partial to the good old "You all meet each other in a tavern" beginning, but I have always been a cliche kind of guy.