Pokemon Rejuvenation Viability Rankings Thread 4.0 [Community WIP] [SPOILERS]

Hey, this thing is back up! In that case, @Lord Chespin, I have a couple more rankings for you:

Raichu (Alolan): A-

+Has a unique type which helps it through a lot of the gyms

+Can be found as a Pichu relatively early (right after the second Novae fight)

+Relatively fast

+Having access to moves such as Discharge, Thunderbolt, and Psychic really helps

+NASTY PLOT

+Can do well against the gyms, including Marianette, Valerie, Erick (because of its ability), and the Puppet Masters

-You need to train it up from a Pichu, who is baggage

-Alolan Raichu is pretty frail

Cofagrigus: A/A-

+Excellent bulk

+A great user of the almighty Curse, an awesome move in a game such as Rejuvenation

+Has access to a helpful ability in Mummify

+Access to great moves such as Shadow Ball, Will-O-Wisp, Hex, Curse, and Destiny Bond via level up

+Decent Special Attack

+Gets Toxic Spikes and Nasty Plot through breeding

-SLOW
-Poor level up coverage: its only offensive moves are ghost types

-Learns a good variety of TMs, but many of them you don't get until later

-This thing is an extremely good tank, but be wary that it is mainly a tank

Skuntank: C/C-

+Access to moves such as Toxic, Flamethrower, Night Slash, and Explosion via level up

+Decent enough bulk

+Aftermath can be a helpful ability

-Completely outclassed by Alolan Muk

Edited by FactoryofSadness

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my experience and the general core of my team through my playthrough

Alolan-Muk (Britney): A+

+Can conceivably use in any gym as it can live any one hit and deal back massive damage

thanks to its great movepool in (at least what I use) Knock Off, Gunk Shot, Poison Jab, Acid Armor

+Even with mine being Modest, still is more than capable of being an offensive threat

+Poison touch comes in handy all the time, scoring 60% poisons with poison jab

+Been Ol' Reliable MVP of the team

-Doesn't evolve till 38

-Only one through the shadow capture, so at mercy of waiting to find out if you have terrible Power of Alchemy is iffy

-Slow

Vikavolt (Moses): B+

Seems high, hear me out.

+Again, never had an issue in any gym other than Amber's with a Modest Thunderbolt, Bug Buzz, Agility, Charge Beam/Energy Ball set, easy 6-0 on Valarie

+Typing is just incredibly useful through V9

+145 SpA might be highest available (w/ Chandelure) at this point (someone check me out on that)

+77/90/75 defenses allow you to get some key survivals to blow someone back

+As a Charjabug, allowed me to sweep Keta with 110 base power acrobatics, no joke.

+/- call it as you will, you can't get until Terajuma and potentially pass up Bug Buzz by level up. Mine was 35 when it evolved so I wasn't too disappointed to 

reverse candy up to 31 and get Bug Buzz. Very much worth it.

-Slow, common theme with my team

-A majority of the level up moves are physical, while they have great coverage, it doesn't utilize Vikavolt to its strengths.

Chandelure (Bray Wyatt): B+

+Great failsafe option with magma drift, will-o-wisp, minimize and shadow ball; brings back potential loses into wins with key evasive qualities

+145 SpA once again

+From the time its available, its typing is useful in all gyms

-Slow as hell to level up. I had no issues cause my team was about 60 at the time and i slapped an exp. share on it

and quickly got it up to speed on Audinos

-Need a Dusk Stone and they are scarce, I believe only two are available at this point

-Pain in the ass to get really, the Litwick side quest does require a lot of work and powerful mons to get to this point.

Diggersby (Roger): A

+Return with a silk scarf ends lives with Earthquake

+Actually can surf and serves as a solid HM slave since you really only need EQ, Return, Agility/SD and filler

+Available fairly early

+Pure Power, that is all

-Might get pickup or cheek pouch, just catch another, no biggie.

-Not the fastest Rabbit around

-Kinda niche, I temporarily dropped him at Valarie and wasn't useful for Flora either except as heal fodder

Tangrowth (Vermicelli): B+

+Regen is very nice, although I had chlorophyll (useless)

+Sleep Powder, Stun spore are great options

+Sludge bomb, giga drain, stun/sleep and knock off are great support set options with 100/110 offenses

+Bulky Bulky Bulky physically with 100/125.

-Slow as can be

-SpD is a Joke and no AV yet to patch that stat up such as it is used in OU

-Eaten alive by Amber and Crawli's team, so it lost usage and I replaced him with a Minior at these times

Greninja (My Black Son): A+

Yeah, yeah, yeah I copped out my choosing Froakie and soft reseting till I had a Timid, Protean one, but I'm not here to win respect.

+Fast, Fast, Fast

+Can use in any gym really because of Protean and good coverage

+Shuriken is great priority to break sturdies and hit decently in doing so

+Great Revenge Killer

-No Dark Special Stab available, best move is Night Slash and you need a Heart Scale

-Kinda weak without a Sea Incense/Mystic Water

-In earlier evolutions, doesn't have really any strong attacks and you're basically stuck with Water Pulse and Smack Down for a while

Lemme know how I did frens :)

I also used Xatu, Minior, Mega Heracross, Bellossom, Medicham, Camerupt and Salandit (unforts, male)

I didn't see rankings for Alolan Marowak, so here is one:

Alolan Marowak - B

+ Obtainable quite early on - after 3rd Gym Leader

+ Gets good enough moves, including Shadow Bone and Will' o Wisp (you need to either decrease levels so A-Marowak can learn these moves or go to Move Relearner)

+ Thick Club boosts it's Attack power

+ Speaking of power and moves, Rock Head works great with Flare Blitz

- Slow, so most of time needs to tank a hit or two before being able to attack

- Won't get to do much in the next two Gym Battles due to them having type or field advantage

- Permanent rain in some Gym Battles further hamper it's usefulness

- Before it learns Flare Blitz you're stuck with Flame Wheel and Flame Charge

There definitely are moments where A-Marowak shines, like against Angie and Dimensional Rifts. While it's not completely useless in battles with rain, you miss K.Os because Fire-STAB is weakened. A-Marowak does decently versus Erick too: Lightning Rod is a nice ability to have in this battle, not to mention A-Marowak learns Ground-type moves like Bonemerang.

Noivern: B

+ Wide, high bp move pool that has good type and field coverage. ie hurricane is 100% accurate in rain, and boomburst gains effective stab power in caves where hurricane's power is nerfed.

+ Fast speed, passable sp. atk

+ Healthy set of resistances/immunities.

+ Serviceable in gyms that its available for, bar maybe angie.

- Very late evolution, lv 48. Noibat is effectively dead weight until it evolves.

- 4x ice weak

Delphox to A

Spoiler

+/- Available as a starter or RNG based on the West Gearen Help Center

+ Both Magician and Blaze are great abilities (but I would prefer Magician)

+ Gets access to a great movepool: Mystical Fire, Psyshock, Psychic, Light Screen, Shadow Ball (relearn or TM), Will-o-Wisp, Heat Wave (breed), Solar Beam (TM), Sunny Day, Grass Knot, Flamethrower, Magma Drift, and Work Up

+ Tears through Venam, Keta, Angie, and Flora/Florin (can also do mad damage against the Puppetmasters)

+ Huge 114 SpAtk and 104 Speed

+ Splashable as both a wall breaker and support with access to Light Clay Light Screen and weather

- Miserable 70/72/100 defenses bar SpDef

- Only available through events

- Useless in select fights (Valarie, Narcissa)

Medicham to A

Spoiler

+ Available after Gym 1

+ Pure Power. Forget about Telepathy

+ Fantastic movepool: Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, High Jump Kick, Zen Headbutt (relearn), Bullet Punch (breed), Recover, Bulk Up (TM from previous versions), and Work Up

+ Destroys Keta, Marianette, and Angie

+ High Jump Kick kills everything that isn't resisted. Click it and everything dies

- Disgusting 60/75/75 bulk

- 80 Speed isn't exactly fantastic, but it does the job well enough

Metagross to A

Spoiler

- Available only after completing the game for now (unless you have access to previous versions)

+ 135 base Attack is backed by access to Hammer Arm, Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, and Agility

+ Fantastic 80/135/90 bulk

+ Good defensive typing

+/- Not much variety in movepool, but doesn't really need anything else

- Again, you will barely get to use it w/o access to earlier versions

Hi, I have a pokemon that I'd like to be considered for review

Spoiler

Tangrowth for A-

+ Bulky pokemon with 100 hp and 125 def

+ 100/110 Atk/Spatk respectivally

+ REGENERATOR

+ Knock off and Sleep/Stun Spore by level up

+ Ancient Power by level up, so you don't have to relearn it

+ Its also kind of bulky as a Tangela, so you don't have dead weight until it evolves

+ Grassy Terrain can possibly help "nerfing" some Leader's field

+ Obtainable, if you have an old version*, before Keta, so you can purify it using Dr. Jenkel and have a defensive mon to take the fighting moves

+ Poison type coverage by TM and Leech Seed by breeding

+ Wild Charge upon purification*, so you can kind of deal with flying types (Gyarados is a big one)

+ Good against Eric because of typing

+ The poison coverage makes it good against Flora/Florin on taking hits and dealing damage

- Its not outspeeding much and taking special hits (With 50 base at speed and spdef)

- Mediocre against Valarie cause of Ice Beam

- Angie, Amber and Crawli take it out fast

- No Assault Vest or Leftovers

- Grass type, so a lot of weaknesses

- Obtainable in Sheridan Wetlands, so kind of late and not immediately useful against the upcoming leaders

- *Wild Charge is only available if you play an earlier version

EDIT: Removed mismagius since its not obtainable in v9

Feel free to correct me on anything I might have looked over or missed (Grammar included)

Edited by DarkMasterKendall

Shiinotic - B

-Found on Terajuma

+Decent bulk

+Ridiculous recovery(Strength Sap,Giga Drain, Dream Eater)

+Can hit surprisingly hard

+Godly with Trick room support.

+Helpful vs Valarie and various Rival battles.

-Very Slow

-Will definitely have to take a hit or two before doing anything.

-Dies indefinitely to most poison typed moves/Pokemon.

Decidueye - C+

+Available as starter or Available after the Gurdurr quest on Terajuma.

+Balanced stats, a true Jack of all trades.

+A rather large movepool.

+Spirit Shackle + False Swipe = Excellent hunter/Huntress.

-Jack of all trades but a master at none.

- Kinda just exists, if not used properly.

-Fairly slow

-There are better Grass types Available.

-A bad nature can severely hamper it's potential.

Edited by Enigma Shot U

8 hours ago, DarkMasterKendall said:

Hi, I have some pokemon that I'd like to be considered for review

Hide contents

Tangrowth for A-

+ Bulky pokemon with 100 hp and 125 def

+ 100/110 Atk/Spatk respectivally

+ REGENERATOR

+ Knock off and Sleep/Stun Spore by level up

+ Ancient Power by level up, so you don't have to relearn it

+ Its also kind of bulky as a Tangela, so you don't have dead weight until it evolves

+ Grassy Terrain can possibly help "nerfing" some Leader's field

+ Obtainable, if you have an old version, before Keta, so you can purify it using Dr. Jenkel and have a defensive mon to take the fighting moves

+ Poison type coverage by TM and Leech Seed by breeding

+ Wild Charge upon purification, so you can kind of deal with flying types (Gyarados is a big one)

+ Good against Eric because of typing

+ The poison coverage makes it good against Flora/Florin on taking hits and dealing damage

- Its not outspeeding much and taking special hits (With 50 base at speed and spdef)

- Mediocre against Valarie cause of Ice Beam

- Angie, Amber and Crawli take it out fast

- No Assault Vest or Leftovers

- Grass type, so a lot of weaknesses

- As far as I know, only available if playing an earlier version (Feel free to correct me on that), so you might miss out on something as equal as good or better (Haven't played this part on V9 so I can't possibly know...yet.)

Mismagius for A

+105 base for Spatk, Spdef and Speed

+ Ghost typing so is immune to normaL and fighting, and resistant to poison and bug

+ Due to that and how early its available, its great against Venam; Keta; Marianette; Narcissa, if played well; Crawly and the Puppet Masters

+ Its typing coverage in move relearning and TM, it can also be useful against Angie, Amber(The big one, talking by personal experience) and Flora/Florin

+ Perish Song and Pain Split and Confuse Ray are available as support options if really needed

+ Shadow Ball is a level up move for Misdreavus

- As far as I know, only available if playing an earlier version, but in this case its better than shuppet

- The best level to evolve is kind of late, that being 46(Since Power Gem can be a level 1 move for Mismagius)

- Physically frail

Feel free to correct me on anything I might have looked over or missed (Grammar included)

According to the pokemon location guide,Tangela  can be found in sheridan wetlands(morning).

Mismagimus also has levitate so immunity to ground type moves.
It seems a bit strange because this topic is about Viability rankings for V9 and mismagimus can only be found in V8.

In that sense,I can also say magikarp and shadow froakie can also be found because they were available in older version.

Edited by Yagami

6 hours ago, Yagami said:

According to the pokemon location guide,Tangela  can be found in sheridan wetlands(morning).

Mismagimus also has levitate so immunity to ground type moves.
It seems a bit strange because this topic is about Viability rankings for V9 and mismagimus can only be found in V8.

In that sense,I can also say magikarp and shadow froakie can also be found because they were available in older version.

Thanks for the info pointed out, I only put those two bc I saw another tang review and since I havent played V9 from start yet, I thought it was ok to put pokemon obtainable in V8. Gonna edit the new info now. (How did I forget levitate, I literally had its Bulbapedia page open to look for info)

• 2 weeks later...

Slowbro- B

Spoiler

+Available after Angie, so it can be used against Amber

+Good wall with 6 resistance. And its ability regenerator is useful for this role as well.

+Learn moves that fits well with his role as wall: Slack off, Amnesia, Psychic and Disable. And these are via level up and available without exceeding level cap.

+Surf user that can utilize the move in battle as well

+Good stat in Physical Defence and SpA. This means that it can check physical attacker that are generally weak to special attack.

-Outclassed by Clefable which can be found much earlier. By the time you get a slowpoke, Clefairy already can learned Moonblast & Cosmic Power and possibly evolved into Clefable (Cleffa can be found holding a Moonstone).

-Not much use in gym battles. 3 gym leader out of its 6 resistance (Fighting, water and ice) are already dealt with when you get it while useless against Eric and Florin/Flora with its 5 weaknesses.

-Slow.(Bro is just trying to live up to its name. Cuz Slowbro, Got it? ok I'll leave.

Toxapex - A 

Spoiler

+Really good overall bulk

+Access via level up to toxic spikes, toxic, recover, venom drench, liquidation and wide guard

+It can stall almost anything that is not poison or steel type, being able to take on some gym leaders and bosses almost on its own

+One layer of toxic spikes is ensured, as toxapex will survive even superefective hits, wich always helps wearing down the opponent and skyrockets the power of venoshock from 65 to 130 (making it a great partner for salazzle)

-It can only be obtained as a lucky egg

-Evolves at level 38

-Totally useless agains Erik, and it can only set one layer of toxic spikes against v 9 gym leader before dying (still helpful)

-It can't really deal with anything that is unafected by poison

-It has no offensive presence (and so leveling it up consumes a lot of time)

On my latest playthrough I'm rotating mons in and out, so here are some of my latest contributions.

Shiftry - C+

+Can be found pretty early in Sheridan Village
+Learns Feint Attack at 24 and Leaf Blade at 28
+Learns Rock Smash/Cut/False Swipe for some extra utility
+Can use both physical and special attacks
-Shitty defensive typing, 4x weak to bug
-Shitty defenses (60/60), pretty decent HP tho
-Feint Attack is it's strongest physical dark STAB

Vivillon - C
+Get it as early as Goldenwood Forest, and evolves early as well.
+Learns Psybeam at 17 so pretty useful against Venam
+Learns Draining Kiss at 25 which is useful against Keta's second fight
+Has access to Quiver Dance (tho very late at 45).
-Bad defensive typing and defensive stats (80/50/50), so cannot take hits 
-Pretty weak after Venam until it gets Bug Buzz at 35, but even then hits pretty weak.
-For these reasons it is only worthwhile to run up to Venam, or after lvl 45 when it gets Quiver Dance

I'd also like to comment on some other mons that people have assessed.

Alolan-Raichu should be at best B+. Even at +2 you can't reliable sweep from my experience, unless you have a + SpA nature with EV investment or something. The problem is that A-Raichu's defenses are so poor that makes it really hard to setup unless you use cheesy strats to lower the attack beforehand. In the beginning of the game there's also a lot of dark/ghost moves for some reason so that doesn't help either.

Lycanroc should be at best B. He cannot take hits and doesn't deal that much damage either as his highest STAB move is Rock Tomb/Rock Slide until you get Miss Edge at 48. The only thing he's really good for is hitting for super effective damage, revenge killing stuff with low HP or praying to the RNG Gods and getting multiple flinch hax in a row. 

On 8/11/2017 at 10:09 PM, Filthy Casual said:

I did the Walrein ranking, and I think it should be dropped down to C- now that Amber's fight has changed. Also, having done Alolan Muk, it should be raised to A+.

So true, even with a shitty 10 IVs spread it puts in work in almost every fight (at least for me). I still wouldn't say it is Blaziken-tier good tho but that would be quite a feat in of itself.