[OOC] The Watchtower

Yours Truly

Far from the outskirts of the town of Astrakane, there lies a stone watchtower.

Your job is simple, or so it seems anyway; all you have to do is live in the same stuffy old tower with four other watchers, and make sure that any threats or mysterious happenings are reported by way of semaphore or word of mouth before they could feasibly threaten the town.

But of course with a bandit king rising up in the east, strange winds and general magical weirdness occuring in the southern ruins; you have yet to experience a dull moment, but by God; you are going to try and find one.

Essentially this RP would be centered around the good old Watchtower overlooking the moorlands, and the players would just be a group of wet behind the ears watchmen (I believe a more appropriate term for this day and age would be watch officer) who are in no way shape or form prepared for all of the supernatural weirdness that occurs a hop, skip, and several miles away from their sleepy little village of Astrakane.

While the world itself is fantastical in nature, other than the odd supernatural creature roaming the moorlands, the player’s would find it hard to think of a pointy hatted, long bearded man in what he claims is a robe as anything other than a very-very strange man who should probably be avoided.

But I haven’t told you anything concrete haven’t I? Well basically the entire RP would be about four or so watchofficers, investigating mysteries, solving civil disputes, and generally acting like well...an officer of the law serving inside of an otherwise quite lawless land, and yes, the first thing I mentioned after the word watchofficers will be the most predominant activity.

Under the hood (or where I shamelessly steal the skill system from something I read online)

System wise I am thinking of just making a simple 3 skill system and creating a perk system that generally acts as your character’s background and what they have picked up along the way. Equipment would mostly act as fluff, but just remember that as a watchmen you would be issued a crossbow, a halberd, a knife, and armor in the form of a hauberk (Chainmail), a red gambeson and a simple hard leather helmet.

This is because A. Halberds are the most superior polearm type as they can be used for poking at things, slashing at things, and generally keeping yourself away from anything the enemy might be planning. And B. crossbows are easily the easiest kind of bow to use. Everything else is there because it’s cheap and easier to get than anything fancy like plate.

Skills would be used for a ridiculously complicated system that essentially boils down to me pressing a button to get an RNG to roll some dice, all you really need to know is that higher skills are always better, and that you need to roll higher than the other guy to succeed in doing something.

A battle would basically be a free form thing where everyone roleplays their actions to me and I shame my computer by having it do something as simple as rolling dice to see if you succeed or fail horribly.

The skills are:
Grit= Used whenever you need to do something that is physical and mostly focused on strength and stamina
Expertise= Used whenever you need to do something is physical and mostly focused on dexterity and precision

Competence= Used whenever you need to do something that is for the most part, intellect based

Health is basically X/3, where X is (Grit + Expertise + Competence), and it is reduced whenever you get hit, duh.

Health will mostly recovered by resting and medicine, and  losing health points also means losing skill points temporarily. This is determined by the type of blow dealt: if the brigand slashed at your center of mass with an axe, your grit will be damaged, and if you get hit by a cosh to the head your competence will be reduced, and so on.

Now I haven’t statted out that many perks yet, but the ones I have made are generally just fluffy stuff that tell me what sort of training your character has had before they became a watchmen; the perks are:

Scholar (You are much more studious and are more adept with dealing with supernatural forces and working with technology than you are at the martial arts)

Doctor (You know how to craft medicines from herbs and several highly ineffective and period appropriate surgeries)

Militia (You have been a soldier all your life and always wake up earlier than the rest of the group, you are quite hardy and strong, and your skill with weaponry are quite adequate)

Scout (You are learned in the ways of tracking and detection, you will most likely be spending most of your time inside of your element, which is anywhere that isn't a stuffy watchtower)

What a character sheet would look like

I usually add these into an interest check because they are always the easiest section to make.

Name: (Think European medieval culture)

Age: (Young adult to I’m getting too old for this ship basically 16 to 35)

Background: (Your characters are locals in the sleepy village of Astrakhane, which is an average scholar’s village existing on the outskirts of the small kingdom of Arcton, the human residents are rather open minded, and due to the size of the place pretty much everyone knows everyone else’s reputation)

Appearance: (How your character appears to other people, remember that you will be inside of a hauberk and gambeson for the most part)

Skills: (You start with 6 points)
Grit:

Expertise:

Competence:

Perk:

Edited by Cronos5010

Spoiler

Name: Georgey

Appearance: 1,83 m, 99 kg;

Big with relatively long-ish puke blonde hair tied in a single short braid. Constant confused look on his face. Real surgical quality sausage fingers. Definitely looks like your best choice when in need of someone to patch you up.

Background: Uninspired and underachieving by nature, the dull environment provided by the village of Astrakane served only as a catalyst for Georgey's drive to wanna become nothing special. He's lived with his father and grandmother until they (plot twist;) died, and has studied some herbalistic and doctorial business 'cause they pushed him to do so in an attempt to make something out of him. Now that he's accidentally burned his house down while prepairing some tea, the other villagers have decided to send him away to the watchtower at which he sighed, clearly not interested, but went anyways.

Skills (6/6)

Grit: 3

Expertise: 1

Competence: 2

Perk: Doctor

Ye, oookie, I love small RPs

Spoiler

Name:  Robert Antony

Background:  Robert has dreamed of being a militia-man since childhood. At the age of 11 he "founded" a neighborhood watch, consisting of several younger children, who mostly treated it as a kind of game. He, however, took it very seriously, and vigilantly protected the village from all manner of mundane sinister threats. 

Now ow that he is a militia-man proper, he takes his job just as seriously as he did his old Watch, which he has entrusted to his nephew. 

Appearance:  A tall, muscular man with a thick mustache. If he were to remove his helmet, one would see that he has short brown hair. He has three scars stretching from the ridge of his nose to his left cheek, as though an animal had scratched him. 

Skills: 
Grit: 3

Expertise: 2

Competence: 1

Perk: Militia

Edited by S34N1C

Erm... I'm double posting to make clear that I did send my character sheet on time.

Anyway, arrived home earlier than expected and I decided to make the character sheet. 

Name: Lucius Braxton

Background: The Village of Astrakane was essentially a village of scholars and growing up in this educated society inspired Lucius Braxton to also become a scholar. At an early age of 13, he became a full-fledged scholar due to being able to answer several problems and mysteries in the village. He also engaged in other researches to improve the village. Because of his intellect and his ability to make good conclusions, he was assigned to help guard the watchtower. At this, he was kind of happy due to the fact that he'd have a bit more action in his hands which meant more data for his research.

Appearance: 175 cm and 50 kg
Lucius Braxton has an average height and is quite slender. He wears small round glasses and sports short dark brown hair, often unorganized. He is often seen holding a book on his right hand with a serious and curious face. He is someone people trust in terms of academic related tasks but definitely not someone who should be trusted to fight well in a battle.

Skills: (You start with 6 points)
Grit: 1 (His stamina is obviously low as he has spent most of his time holing up in a laboratory or a study somewhere doing experiments or analyzing data.)

Expertise: 2 (He has good precision and is quite speedy at doing things he is familiar with. He is a fast learner and can adapt to unfavorable circumstances)

Competence: 3 (He is more adept at research and studying, and knows his way around technology and operating machines)

Perk: Scholar

I don't know it it is me having low standards, the simplicity of the system, or just me wanting this to start as quickly as possible, but I honestly can't find anything wrong with any of your sheets, although I would love it if Antony's Appearance has you know, more detail, but it isn't really necessary.

The thing is the last party member will have to be the scout, since everyone else has already snatched up the other three perks, but yeah all that is left is to wait for the fourth horseman horseofficer.

Spoiler

Name: Lancelot the Third

Background: Born into a family of somewhat known knights, Lancelot became a page in order to follow in his parents’ footsteps. His parents were later killed by an enemy kingdom, and Lancelot was left devastated and later left the path of true knighthood. He came upon the Village of Astrakhane, a quiet and sleepy village where he could reside until the people looking for him find him. He practiced archery in a forest near the village and became a master archer.

Appearance: Lancelot had black hair and two different colored eyes. One blue and one silver. He wears a hauberk and greaves to match, but he has no head protection. He prefers open vision more than protection of the cranial region.

Skills:

Grit:1

Expertise:3

Competence:1

Perk:1

New Character!

Spoiler

Harbin the Wizzerd

Background:  Harbin came to the village of Astrakhane from an exotic and faraway land!  Or at least elsewhere in Arcton.  …According to Harbin.  After annoying everyone with his stubborn and utterly proof-free insistence that he is the greatest wizard to ever live, and an inexplicable explosion that showered most of the village in vile tanning vat fluid, Harbin was ‘encouraged’ to seek employment in the watch.  As a scout.  As far away from anyone else as possible.  Fortunately for the watch, he’s actually an excellent woodsman, archer, and tracker, as long as you can keep him from trying to solve all his problems with liberal application of magic.

Appearance:  In addition to his standard kit, Harbin owns a pointy, blue hat with a wide brim, a few sloppily cut out stars stitched to it, and the word “wizzerd” embroidered on the front in big, white letters.  He also has a simple staff with a chunk of smoky crystal embedded in the top, and the words “wizzerd stef” carved into the side.  On the more practical side of things, he also packs a longbow and quiver of arrows, a hatchet, a very long hunting knife, and a chunk of rust-colored rock tied to a string.  He insists that this is a magic “direction rock”, which can be used to find north anywhere.  Just to make his magical status even more confusing, when the “direction rock” is allowed to dangle freely, it will always return to pointing due north, no matter how it is turned or shaken.

Skillz:

Grit:  2  (Harbin is fit and tough, but not exceptionally so.)

Expertise:  3  (Harbin is an excellent woodsman, archer, and thief, if the situation calls for it.)

Competence:  1  (Harbin is quite intelligent and knowledgeable, but his insistence on applying magic to all his problems save those involving nature lore or shooting things hamstring his effectiveness.)

Perk:  Scout

HP = 2