[IC] TFW Chapter 1: Sloth

Shamitako

Mega Star Cannon, Anemone.

"On it boss." Anemone had rather good balance so the ice barely managed to slow her down. After all, she was of anything the most aware of her own body and it's weight. She had all the time in the world to observe herself and make judgement, so knowing the ice was there it wasn't possible for her to slip without outside interference. She pulled out something from the pouch pocket on her hoodie and then gave a flick of her wrist. It was a small extendable staff, yellow in colour. It was Anemone's foci, of the thing she used to help her cast and focus her energy through. She honestly wasn't sure she really needed it, but every mage needed a staff, right? 

She tapped the handle on the ground three times, and then focused on a mental image. Merlin's cans. What??!!? It was relevant to the situation. She used that image to then blank out, and enter her more powerful casting state. He Ponytail rhythmically swung back and forth, like a metronome. Light purple energy flashed as she erected a barrier, flat and marked with a symbol that looked like an anemone flower in it's center. She made sure to keep focusing on it for a time to pour as much energy into it as she possibly could, making sure it wasn't just a minor speedbump, but hopefully a roadblock. She wanted this to drag as much speed out of that mech user as possible, hopefully stopping them dead in their tracks, but... much too optimistic. She'd at least do a number on her speed.

She finished it with a simple word. "Wallflower~"  Anemone wasn't much of one for incantations, she preferred to let her concentration do the work, so most of hers ended up being lazy or short if she did them at all.

She walked back into the other room, still in the most blissful of states. Her face was naught but the picture of serenity, her ponytail rhythmically swaying to and fro. Even her steps were in tune with some internal rhythm she seemed to be following. She took a deep breathe, and then exhaled. "Is there anything else I can do?" her tone, seemingly flat, though she could still feel her emotions, they just remained internal. Such was the way of her hyper focus. She internalized a lot o processes to gain maximum output. If she was to do anything before their quarrel arrived once more she should start pouring her magic into it now.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mega Star Cannon

Amelia shot through the hall again, the power of the current behind her knocked the otherwise unprepared Exile to the ground. It seemed not being the target didn't mean Exile wasn't in any danger at all. But she was far from the real danger. Amelia barreled towards Chernobyl's shield, showing no signs of stopping whatsoever. There was another thundercrack as a sonic boom went off, smashing into the shield alongside a rush of wind. What did not smash into the shield was Blink, who seemed to have simply disappeared. There was half a second of nothing, and then Blink reappeared past the shield and Chernobyl, it was possible she had been slowed, but it sure as hell was by much. A mere blink of the eye and she was stopped, but not by the ice. and spikes. She was perched just like she had been before, but this time her fist was inside the forehead of a screaming Merlin.

"I win." She insisted, "Now are you going to tell me what you're doing here or do I have to keep doing this until you pass out?"

Merlin barely managed to choke out an answer through her screaming. It was unclear what she said, but Amelia withdrew her hand.

"How?" Merlin gasped.

"What, were you expecting me to slow down so I could go around that little barrier? Maybe even be slow enough to lose control sliding over all this ice you've got here?" Amelia answered snarkily, "Not even close baby. Now, fucking spill."

"One of my students." Merlin sighed, "Ran off during the commotion with all the Plane of Nil stuff. Beat me at Go Fish too."

"What?" Amelia interrupted in shock, "You're shitting me."

"I'm not!"

"Well damn, I can see why you'd chase them, but that doesn't warrant a whole strike team."

"No, that was the part where he's sharing magic with Carls."

"Yeah, that makes sense. How'd you find the place?"

"I've known where it was for a while."
"True, they're not too secretive with this one. It seems dead to the world though, outside that angry rumbling that happened earlier, did you guys take out a wall... or several?"

"No, that's the fight happening with our other force. Anyways, your turn, why're you here?"

"Trees, someone's been killing off farms in Envy, traced it here, Bear invited me over to have some fun."

Merlin and Amelia seemed to have gotten caught up in talking to each other; despite talking about why they had come to the facility, they didn't seem to remember what they were supposed to be doing.

They were out of the room. Sense hesitated as he made his exit, glancing down at Gypsy. He could probably carry him, being tall and somewhat fit. However, Bartek was built like a mountain, and would carry Gypsy with great ease. Bellona, even, would suffice, judging by how completely she had destroyed the door. So Sense passed him by. He felt rather cold-hearted to just pass by as the man moaned slightly on the ground, but it was simple logic. Someone would get Gypsy, someone more suited to it. Sense carefully followed Forge's creations, keeping alert for anything suspicious on each side as he made his way over the the exit. He halted next to the door uncertain. It was entirely possibly that their assailants had cut off their escape. He went through his options. A quick teleportation outside and then back in? No. If there was an enemy there, they would either be prepared, and attack the moment he appeared, or they weren't prepared, they would be after Sense made his presence known. Even just peeking his head out could be fatal. It would be best to just wait.

Mega Star Cannon, Anemone

"Ooooh, that's nice. Seems like we have a common goal." Anemone said, tilting her head at the conversation. What... was up with these two? Were they enemies or friends? It was... really hard to tell. She was still coming out of her cleared state, she felt her emotions and other processes funneling back to her. That'd probably make processing things easier... maybe? This was still such an odd occurrence. Her ponytail kept wagging, but more just absentmindedly, without a purpose.

"Perhaps, we should join the rest of our forces? Or something. Standing here chatting is fun and all..." and trust me... if I had the time to cast my "see through clothes vision"... I should get a better name for that. I'll think of something. Later though, mind... stop getting sidetracked. "But, we've here for a reason, no?"

Ice had conjured a decently sized spear of her namesake hovering in the air just over her shoulder, letting her previous conjurations fade away (in part out of startlement at Amelia's simply warping past all of the obstacles they'd set up for her.) She continued to hold it there warily, aimed at Amelia, while Merlin. . . had a pleasant chat with her? The situation was incredibly confusing, to say the least. Amelia seemed suddenly non-hostile for the moment, but that didn't mean that she was worthy of being trusted at this moment in time. She simply fixed the woman with a hard stare - not that it was noticeably different from her normal expression for those unfamiliar with Ice -  while waiting for further instructions.

Cheryn looked on in deadpan as yet more baffling nonsense unfolded in front of them. So much for the barrier, the broad had just gone and somehow bypassed it altogether, and now the thing simply faded behind her with a quiet crackle as she let go in the back of her mind. Typical, that she'd been utterly shown up by some Mech user. No, really, felt good to have a repeat of the old days, such a pleasant taste it left in her mouth. Like terribly-out-of-date strawberry schnapps and countless other brews mixed with the bitter, acrid hint of bile... actually wait... this wasn't the old days, this was too real- the vomit she could feel welling up in the back of her throat even now, and was already visibly lurching a bit and cringing as she swallowed it back down, was far more likely of an explanation. 

"Damn, the bitch was going so fast and disappeared so suddenly just before she got to the boundary... think I got a little motion sick just from looking at her...or maybe I should'a just let daddy just throw that stuff out last night... I knew it tasted kinda off...eh, whatever hindsight's always 20/20..."

Exile - Team Mega Star Cannon - Cage of Fire

Hoppinh back on her feet, Exile continues prancing forwards, the screaming behind her doing little to dampen the spring in her step, though it at the very least convinces her to dismiss sign above her. Slowing to a stop as she reaches the corner, she leans forwards, ever so slightly with her hands back behind her back, examining the ceiling, floor and walls with a wide a smile and seemingly child-like curiosity. Before her, appears a blade of light. It does not crackle, it does not crystallize, it simply appears, fully manifests within the span of a single instant, and as it appears, it is already in motion, hurtling down the hallway in deathly silence. Moments later, Exile hops out behind it.

"Hello~!" Exile waves, and the blade vanishes.

Taking a few steps forwards she again finds herself examining something, something far more interesting this time~

Fedora was standing on a red thingy out from which lines traced to sable inscriptions and the bars of fire that seemed to emerge from them, blocking not only the walls but the ceiling as well. Of course, she soon tired of them and went to stare at everything other than them, even further down the hallway, past Fedora. Especially that actually. Finally, she traces her stare around the black symbols, seeing if there were any lines coming out of them.

If there aren't, then after a few seconds of thought (complete with loading icon of course), she conjures a blade of light, its tip mere inches away from one of the lines tracing to the lowermost bar on her side of the cage. She drives it inwards, the illusion becoming real as she does so.

Edited by Empiricist

Mega Star Cannon

"Together? With this bitch?" Merlin and Amelia asked in unison.

They then both proceeded to giggle like schoolgirls.

"I suppose it would be for the best." Merlin said between giggle fits.

"I can't call Bear though, so if he finds your other team first, well..." Amelia said after she finally calmed down.

Merlin shrugged, "Gypsy's with them, I'm sure they'd be fine."

"Implying Gypsy can even get Bear out of his first stage."

"Implying Gypsy can run from Bear in his first stage."

Amelia turned towards Ice, "You there, the... Young girl? Tweenshit? Whatever. Glaring frozen daggers at me, stop that, it itches."

"Oh don't mind her, she's just annoyed that you completely ignored her hard work." Merlin interceded, "For now, we should keep exploring. Exile's gone ahead to free our captured companion, if you don't mind walking at a normal pace for a while then I'd be slightly less unhappy with your presence in this facility."

"Well, I don't have anything better to do." Amelia shrugged, "Lead the way."

With that said, Merlin marched off down the corridor, Amelia following behind. They continued talking casually as they went, again seeming to forget the importance of what they were doing.

"Huh... you two are strange." Anemone added following after the two. Amelia didn't really interest her much on the body front. She wasn't exactly Anemone's cup of tea. She also figured she'd not have the time to weave a "Peak peek", "Hehe, better name acquired.~" spell anyway, so it wasn't worth invested much thought in regardless. She doubted she often see her around. She'd be able to sleep at night leaving these sweater beasts be unknown entities. They weren't much more than mere mosquito bites as far as Anemone could tell... so really... was it a loss? If your were Anemone... na. Luckily, Anemone... just so happens, to be Anemone.

Anemone smacked the butt of her extendo-staff deftly on the ground. It was a precise movement, one she had done before, and it took a lot of working knowledge with the implement to do it that swiftly and effectively. It collapsed the kaleidoscoping foci back to its portable form in but an instant. She slipped it back into the pouch of her hoodie, hoping she'd not be in dire need of it again. A lot of hope given the situation at hand. "So... Merlin. Do you know something about those... remote casting thingermadoohickies that Feardogchop... or whatever his silly name was got caught in? I've never seen magic like it before, I'm only familiar with things that come from another caster so it was a strange thing to witness. I only saw the magic flair up as if someone was casting it, but prior, I didn't see anything with my vision. It must've been the interference, there's a lot of magical residue. While it doesn't really effect me too much with magic I'm familiar with, perhaps this new type didn't jump out to me due to being an unknown." Anemone let her index finger absentmindedly drift to her chin as she tilted her head in an inquisitive manner. She was thinking outwardly, therefore this was the first time she looked actively engaged in the goings on. She was running through yet more ideas in here head evn though she'd didn't have much to wrap around the subject. Her wheels were turning, faster and faster intrigued by the new form of magic she'd never seen before. It was so exciting! Something new to observe.

Feardorcha turned slowly to face the young woman who had thrown a blade of light at his general direction "Well hello there, I seem to be stuck in some symbol based form of magic", he then turned around to stare down the other end of the hallway as well "I assume that the others are unharmed for now?".

Edited by Cronos5010

Ice would have continued the pointed staredown if she hadn't been more concerned about watching for approaching threats - though it was still prudent to watch the largest one known, which Amelia still constituted, and thusly still drew the glare when her visual sweep happened to pass her by again. She also held onto the icicle for a moment longer before deciding it wasn't doing much good floating there. She had already decided that this Amelia was not an individual she liked, despite Merlin's apparent friendliness. The stranger had, after all, literally put her hand inside Merlin's head, a process that looked excruciatingly painful. 

Maybe she still spent a bit longer than strictly necessary glaring at Amelia when it came to her turn to be watched. . .

Exile and Fedora

Seeing no lines being emitted from the black symbols, Exile went ahead and tried to break through the lines. But although she cut into the wall, nothing changed with the lines. It seemed they wouldn't be removed so easily. The hall beyond Feardorcha's cell was short, quickly turning to point towards the center of the facility again.

Mega Star Cannon

"Those would be Ansuz's runes." Merlin told Anemone, "It's his Spark, it lets him infuse dormant spells into certain symbols. The symbols themselves are mundane, so I'm sure the runes barely give off any magical energy for you to see until they've activated."

Merlin suddenly turned and shot open a door with a water blast.

"Let's check out this room." She said, walking in.

The new room had a large table against the left wall, on it slept a young boy, no older than twelve. He had a smooth, innocent face and hair so white it almost looked invisible in the white complex. He was clothed in a blue and red hospital gown. Tubes and wires ran to him from a machine next to the table. The machine had a display screen, presumably showing the boys vitals. Merlin ignored the boy, instead walking to the other side of the room and opening one of a pair of metal cabinets. It was full of various bottles of medication, all labeled with various bits of information that were likely gibberish to the group. The entire act seemed rather cold for Merlin, it was clear that discussing Ansuz's runes had upset her for some reason.

Those Guys

Spoiler

Music repost since pages are a thing

Bellona charged out with Gypsy in tow, reaching the relative safety of the outdoors. The rest of the group followed suit, Sense and Bartek taking up the rear. There was a short period of nothing, Gypsy seemed to regain his bearings at least enough to stand on his own.

"I'm going to send a message to Merlin, warn her that Ansuz is here." He gasped.

He sat down and shut his eyes, putting all of his energy into concentrating. But as he did that, a bright pink and blue glow emerged above the group. Looking up, they could see a large silver cylinder, easily five feet in diameter and over fifteen feet long. The end of the cylinder pointed towards the group was glowing with arcane energy. On the roof below the cylinder stood a girlish boy with brown hair and grey-blue eyes. He was in a white and blue jumpsuit, as well as a long coat of the same color scheme. He wore grey fingerless gloves on his hands and a simple black belt on his waist. Although his outfit was a bit different from normal he was clearly recognizable to everyone there.

"Ansuz." Charity said aloud, the pain of betrayal evident on her face and in her voice.

Up until this point there had still been a sliver of hope. Even though Gypsy seemed to think they were being shot at by Ansuz, they hadn't actually had a clear look at their aggressor. Now there was no question, the one who had been shooting at them, the one trying to kill them, had been the mild-mannered boy that Merlin had been bringing along to her lessons for the past four years.

"I'll give you one chance: Surrender." He announced, "I'd rather not kill anyone else, not yet."

His voice was quiet and feminine, and even held a hint of anguish, but there was a hard edge to it. That edge and the giant magical cannon made it so his threat made it through despite his otherwise soft voice.

Spark, so a mage. Anemone would have continued her inquiry, but it seemed, unwise. Clearly asking hadn't been a smart plan, or perhaps, whatever it was that Merlin was feeling at the moment, wasn't really entirely brought on by the questions. Anemone bit her lip, not knowing whether she should ask more questions... or be silent. She wasn't really sure what to do in this situation. But the sight in that room also... it... wasn't helping. There were so many questions now running through her head, most of them seemed like traps if she brought them up now.

"Merlin..." she barely managed to speak, nearly having to force the name from her lips. "What's going on here?" everything about Anemone seemingly shrunk. She was clearly upset, clearly startled by what was happening. Her ponytail reflected it, hanging low unlike how it had been this entire time. She, couldn't stop staring at the boy. She didn't want to but, but she found it impossible to pry her eyes away.

"Nope~ Merlin was screaming and a girl in a mech was trying to punch her in the face!" She pauses for a moment, as if realizing what she had just said, but... "Now, let's try getting you out~!"

Striding forwards she stares at the black symbols closer before "Oh!" Her eyes sparkle as she quickly hops backwards towards the corner again, a light bulb briefly popping up above her. Exile attempts to place illusory scribbles atop the lowermost black symbol, as to blot it out and Phase-Shift them into reality.

Exile and Fedora

Exile's scribbles also did nothing to disrupt the symbols, they continued to emit fire even through her added markings. It seemed like nothing she did would cause the flames to even falter

Meg Star Cannon

"Hmm?" Merlin mumbled.

She looked away from the cabinet followed Anemone's gaze to the boy. Anemone noticed that the boy had some sort of tag attached to his right wrist.

"I really don't know." She said, "Some form of experimentation obviously, I don't know what kind. There might be a log somewhere in the machine's data if you have to know. But we should really only be looking for experiments involving magic right now."

Amelia entered the room, now wearing an all-black jumpsuit and carrying no ring. It seemed she had dispelled her mech for the time being.

"So, uh, what's in here?" She asked, "I've got you guys and... some kid on a desk? Anything else of importance?"

"Ooh, tricky~!" It is at this point, where a the scribble vanishes and blade of light appears inside the cage, its point aimed for the lowermost rune at a shallow angle. It phase-shifts into existence and launches into its mark as Exile quickly ducks behind the corner. She pops her head back in a few seconds later. If it's done nothing, she then summons another blade and drives it down into the central rune.

It was strange, Merlin not knowing something. It was strange, this being a place she seemingly knew nothing about, or she jsut want's giving the full story. Anemone didn't really know to be honest. She found it quite overwhelming to some degree. If it held any clue to what this facility was though perhaps it was important that someone looked. "What if it does involve magic? There's nothing saying that it doesn't. I'd be more confident in knowing if this whole blasted facility wasn't covered in magical residue."

She felt like she should figure out more, but also, wasn't sure if this was some ind of trap... ruse... something. It was rater off-putting. Anemone swallowed, trying to push down the bubbling emotion. It worked as it always had. But she still felt uneasy from all of this. She looked over at the woman who entered the room. She wasn't sure who this was still... or her relation to Merlin. "I don't know to be honest. I'll have to concentrate to see if I can see anything. My truesight... is having a lot of overload from the ambient magic residue. It's a lot to filter out." 

Anemone went over to the machine, making sure there wasn't any strong magical signatures before interacting with it. She then, would leaf through it, seeing if there was anything of importance, any data or logs on this facility. What this place was... who this boy might be. Anything really. Anything she could find at all.

Feardorcha coughed quite loudly as he heard the exile's comments "She what now?", He then tried his best to ignore his 'Jump out of the way of danger' reflex as the exile threw a blade of light into the symbols.

Afterwards she would hear him say "Are you trying to set me on fire or something?....well it wouldn't be the first time".

Ice glanced at Amelia for a moment, her hard glare replaced by a more thoughtful look - again, not that it was particularly easy to tell with her stoic expressions. The powerful mech - she moved faster than the blink of an eye - the references to incidents in Envy, and to the god of Sloth. . .

"Merlin. Two questions. One, are we going to release the boy and any others we find, and two, why do you appear to be friends with the god of Envy?"

There he stood, fear and hesitation evident in his face and his tone. Sense felt no pity. Here was the 'man' who had betrayed them, who had ambushed them without warning. And here he came, offering surrender as an option. To what end? Why, either to gloat over them and torture them when they had been properly shackled, or to keep them as hostages until Merlin arrived. There could be no other reason. If there had been some other half-formed thought present in Ansuz' mind, it would simply have been a delusion, and Ansuz would, in the end, resort to the two options that Sense could imagine. The people around him were equally torn and confused. Sense took a step forward, and raised his hands carefully to the side of his head, an obvious gesture of peace and good will.

He tilted his head up and met Ansuz eyes.

"What do you want from us?" Sense spoke, careful to keep an even tone, even inserting a slight quaver, masking his rage as best he could.

"We never tried to hurt you, and yet you have forsaken us, and tried to kill us. Why? Was anything we ever did that could warrant such retribution? Any cruelty we inflicted upon you that could deserve this attack?"

"No, I think not. But if we had done you some evil, it would not be worth the death or enslavement of all those here. Perhaps you were hurt in some manner..." Here Sense stopped, and collected himself for the difficult words.

"And if I was ever responsible for your pain, I wholeheartedly apologize. I have never borne a grudge or any ill will against you." There. The words were out. Perhaps they were even true, but Sense hated those utterances nonetheless.

"So I ask again: What do you want from us? You tell us to surrender, but what would it mean to surrender? Would we be consigned to live out the remainder of our days in a cage? Would we be bound in servitude to a cruel master? Would we bartered as hostages to imprison Merlin? Or is this simply a method of dissuading resistance so that we might be slaughtered all the more easily?"

Sense spent every vestige of his will to keep his face free from the hate he felt, to preserve the frightened, timid appearance that he so desperately required.

"We who considered ourselves your friends have a right to know. We have a right to know the consequences of our actions, and why you have done this to us."

Sense concluded his speech the slightest twitch of a finger, sending a burst of emotion out. Guilt.

Edited by Strider

Those Guys

The cannon suddenly turned and fired past the group, blowing a trench in the terrain.

"Shut up!" Ansuz screamed, "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!"

He clutched the left side of his face and he shook his head back and forth in anger and confusion. Tears started streaming down his face.

"A-Ansuz, it's alright." Charity mumbled, "We can still forgive you. No one is above forgiveness."

Ansuz's movements froze and his eyes went from dark anguish to burning anger.

"You think I would do all this for you?!" He screeched, "You think you're worth this mess?! None of you are worth this mess! I don't matter! You don't matter! Only the truth matters! Where is she? Where is she... WHERE IS SHE?! I did this for her. I wanted to show her. I will show her. You'll see! You'll all see! She'll accept me, you'll see!"

The cannon turned and pointed directly at the group again, it was clear that Ansuz had every intention of incinerating them all.

Spoiler

And music change

A mass of golden and black spheres smashed into Ansuz and his cannon, knocking them backwards. The cannon still fired, but its shot flew off into the horizon.

Gypsy opened his eyes and gasped, "I got help."

More cannon fire shot out into the sky as Ansuz desperately tried to fend off the swarm. But it was hopeless, they easily opened gaps in their mass to let the lasers pass through and then went to work peppering him with bullets and lasers. It quickly became apparent that Ansuz hadn't invested in any form of defense, an enemy close enough and evasive enough that he couldn't blast through them was going to make short work of him.

Mega Star Cannon

On the machine, Anemone found records for an experiment called "Tallow." It seemed the scientists had been attempting to force feed information on magic to this boy's brain as part of an experiment to create a passable mage in as short a period of time as possible. He was listed as number thirteen, meaning there were at least twelve others like him among the various experiments being performed on children.

"We'll try to do things for the kids after we've figured out how much data they have on magic." Merlin said, "There's no way that kids has anything to do with magic, it's been two weeks, there's no way you could teach an unwilling child something like that in such a short time."

Merlin then turned her attention to Ice.

"Is there something wrong with me knowing Blink?" She asked defensively, "I know lots of people."

"She's an immortal wi-i-i... Wizard" Blink told Ice, uncharacteristically tripping over her words, "You expect her to not know the Gods of the various Planes? Also we are not friends."

Amelia then raised her hands and clapped them loudly, looking around the room as the clap resounded throughout.

"What's with all the bottles?" She inquired, "Are they medicine?"

"Yeah, all kinds of stuff." Merlin answered, "No clue what any of this sciency gibberish means though."

"Huh.  He's a glass cannon.  Literally.  Let's throw some fuel on the fire," Bellona attempts to pick up a handful of the ashen ground with her telekinesis and throw it into Ansuz's eyes.  "He's off balance!  Now's our chance."

Ice looked at Merlin with an even flatter look than usual. "This mission is based on retrieving a person whose primary offense was using magic in collusion with mech users. You are colluding with a mech user." She glanced at Blink for a moment. "Interaction thus far indicates a familiar relationship. If you are not friends, then I must assume you are lovers." Somewhat belatedly: "Which I do not assume to be the case."

Anemone felt her stomach lurch... or she thought she did. She wasn't really sure what she was feeling at the moment. But, this? How... it was terrible surely. How could someone do this to somebody. There was certain bounds one didn't cross. She wanted to put this to the back of her mind though, so she buried it. She was sure the others were more or less on her side in this. So, there wasn't any point dwelling. If she kept being in this type of mood, the others would surely figure out something was amiss.

"Lovers huh? That'd be quite the conundrum wouldn't it? Though they can't seem to stand eac...bad break up? Ex-loverers?" I shouldn't be this excited about this. Anemone was now having... much different thoughts. Her ponytail stood up at attention ever so slightly. She rocked back and forth on her feet, her shoes squeaking ever so slightly. Her face had a small cute grin on it. Innocent... as if the things on her mind were just your average everyday thought. To be honest... they probably were to some degree.