[IC] TotMV:G2: Engineering Bay (Travel Phase)

Chevaleresse

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Care to give a demonstration of this flintknapping?" It sounded as though the man was just a skilled sculptor, but given his other skills, he'd have to be quite good at it? It could very well be something that he had different standards for. . . There were a number of unanswered questions, so it seemed better to just see it in action.

Mar nods, Smiling.

"I will show you my tribe's sacred art.  The power, of the Stonerist Chi."

Mar fishes around, pulling out a large chunk of obsidian, a bone horn, a piece of leather, and a chunk of Moonsilver ore.

After going and bringing in a large creature, he makes a shallow cut in the beast's artery, draining some blood into a bowl, and mixing it with fragments of silvery stone and metal, before chugging the whole thing, chuckling with a slight hiccup.

Tapping Edmond with a boomerang, Edmond feels a curious confusion overtake him, while Mar grows more unhinged.

He takes this time to meditate, light slowly growing from his body as he takes a single, deep breath, before finally being ready.

With a sloppy grin, he strikes the piece of obsidian, and, with a quiet tinkle that reverberates through the castle, it falls apart into The Chisel.

"With a shingle blow, I have struck the exshackt point of the shtone by whitsh it would crack into this tool" he explains, showing it to Edmond as his senses return, and Mar sobers up.

It took Edmond some time to realize what Mar was doing, after the confusion snuck over him. It was an odd, hazy, primal feeling, almost ritualistic. When his senses returned to normal--not quite sharpening, because they hadn't exactly been dulled--Edmond took a step back instinctively. The thing in Mar's hands was a perfect chisel, created with a single strike. From obsidian no less, something which fractured in a concoidal manner, no flat planes to play with

"W-well, impressive. I-How do you even do that? Is it a type of magic? Do you need a specific quality of stone? I can't see it working if it's not magic with a less than structurally perfect material. . ." Edmond stepped close again, to get a better look at the tool, to see what type of chisel, and inspect for any deformities.

"It is not magic that allowed me to do this, though I can use it in tandem with magic."

"Through over twenty years of practice within my tribe, I have learned to tell by touch, by sight, and even by sound how to strike an object perfectly."

"Anything I can strike, I can apply my Flintknapping Ability to." Mar explains.

"In my home world, those among us who can perform magic-which-is-not-magic are known as Mundanus Extremus, we who possess Mundane Abilities at anomalous levels of talent by practice alone."

"The Stonerist Chi teach our children the art of Flintknapping, but there exist other Orc tribes who have their own specialties." Mar struggles to think of an example, before nodding and speaking.

"The Beastlaim tribe have trained and bred mundane dogs so well that within their training, they learn to perform calculations and simulations on command, and recite barks and movements between one another and their handlers, giving them unparalleled talent in management, for instance."

"That's rather difficult to believe, at least if they're mundane dogs by the way I know. I was under the impression that the limits were, while partly in the trainers, also in the dogs' physical and mental ability. With a large enough number I could see calculations being possible. . ."

Edmond brushed that aside however. "Let's see how it works though. It looks high quality, but it should be tested, I think."

Edmond took the fabric, and began to inspect it. Did it seem to be a weave of steel threads, a thing enough sheet that was flexible, or something completely unique?

"What would have happened if you'd struck it the way you wanted? This doesn't seem like a bad outcome, I've got to say."

"That's amazing. And is this a combination of the chisel's abilities and yours working together, or simply one of the other?" He was curious, since the man had managed to make the chisel with a single fracture, had he done the same here, or was there some quality to the chisel that helped. Given the glow and the faint sparks, Edmond suspected there might be something. . . more at play here. That the chisel might have elevated or altered the qualities of his work significantly.

"Can we mass produce this material?"

"It is only natural that finer tools will give me finer results.  I cannot crack metal with my bare fists, for instance." Mar says.

"Indeed, this Chisel is quite useful to my technique.  The Monomolecular edge allows me greater precision, and it's durability lets me strike things with great force."

"I believe I can produce more, yes." He nods affirmatively.

"Considering this tool's power, I may very well be able to crack apart any substance you deem necessary, be it Flames and Lighting, Magic, Steel or even simple Stone."

"I don't need anything unusual broken apart right now, though the idea of splitting something like magic or flames is intriguing. Pertinent to the most recent project, could one, if they could see it and contact it, split off corruption from a soul or core?"

"Anyway, is it too much trouble to ask you to maybe make me some stuff from time to time? I can probably collect a number of materials for you that might be interesting. Or. . . is there something else you'd want in return?"

He really wanted the ability to make some kinds of parts on demand, and Mar seemed perfectly suited to the task. Not only could things be made with probably unmatched precision, they apparently could have features as complicated as a microscopic chain mesh.

"We both want the same thing.  Anything further is frivolous."

"I am uncertain.  Ultimately, my ability is one rooted in violence.  To deal in natures of the soul...  It is beyond my scope, I believe."

"Bring me materials, and I shall process them for you.  Unless you have the means to produce substances I have yet to test, being able to provide an ally my service is enough payment among friends." Mar says.

"I understand. On that same note though, as a favor between friends you must tell me if there's something I should look out for, or that I can do, if something comes to mind in the future."

With that, Edmond moved on to his own projects, popping off the different pieces of his power armor, and inspecting them one by one. In the backplate, he began to condense some of the circuits, trying to make a bit of room for the hard drives he'd picked up in Seattle. If he could wire this right, he'd be able to record a fairly large amount of high quality combat data for later analysis, or perhaps to be stored somewhere in the castle. Being able to make a digital archive of the worlds they'd visited and enemies they'd faced might be useful in the long run.

"That does remind me."

Mar turns to Alexandria.

"I am reminded of your material forge, it is able to produce mundane substances, yes?  I currently lack many material samples, an example being that I only possess a Plain white diamond, a blue diamond, and a yellow one, and I only have small samples of pure atomic metals."

"As I learn deeper secrets of magic through gaining new substances, I feel you may know of strange, and exotic gems and metals, beyond what I have encountered so far, or arrangements of substances, such as alloys and chemicals."

"If you can produce them, I can test their magical properties, which may benefit us both.  Your gracious allowance of Galvinium and Battleplate allowed me to access Arbitrary Fuel Sources, for example."

Alexandria considers Mar's request, after some thought produces seven tiny diamonds on a very fine chain.  The diamond colors are as follows:  red, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, black.  The chain links are subtly different colors as well, with sections made of bronze, brass, nickel steel, titanium steel, and platinum-iridum alloy.

"This may assist you.  Though I do not know which materials you have yet to test."  This done, Alexandria grabs a big chunk of scrap metal and starts hollowing out a cavity in it with her bare hands, in order to house the battery she's planning to make.

Hearing of the nature of Mar's ability once again, Ritsu is reminded of some materials that she acquired in the past. Once she finishes scanning all the tablets and recording their information, she goes back to Mar.

"Mar, I also possess some materials that may prove interesting. They aren't diamonds, but I feel that there may be some merit in examining them," Ritsu announces, pulling out a precursor orb.

"Also, out of curiosity, is your material analysis limited to metals, or will it work on more organic substances?" Ritsu then asks, reminded of some other materials she possesses.

"My magic is only affected by forms of Matter, so while organic materials and metals will attune it, electricity and light will not, even if they were solid."

Mar says to Ritsu, as he takes the samples.

"I thank you Alexandria.  I'll be certain to repay you for this." He says, already drawing magic from himself to begin testing.

The Orb creates a brown, glowing energy, while the Red Diamond he tests creates a Deep Crimson liquid.

"Anachronism, and... Savant Mana."

"The Precursor Orb's Mana seems to make machinery act as though it were an older machine which serves the same purpose."

"The Red Diamond's Mana invokes a strange mood in living creatures, making them more Creative and Efficiently acting, but also invoking exacting strictness in their requirements."

"Even to the point where it hinders them."  He says, thinking.

Mar's stomach grumbles, and he walks over to an empty corner of the area, creating a chunk of of Synthetic Adamantium, and, using his Chisel, cracks it into a fully functional stovetop which lays flat on the ground, where he plops in front of it, thinking.

"Do any of you here care for some food?  I believe I will cook."

"Would it be safe for a human? No offense to your cooking, but seeing the drinks you and the new guy were showing off, I can't help but be slightly concerned." Edmond was finished up the adjustments to the suit, and all tests were indicating that it functioned properly.

"Do you have ingredients?"

"Hmm...very well, I might as well see what else you can create," Ritsu remarks after hearing Mar's intent to cook. "Also, I can give a report on the edibility if you really want one Edmond," Ritsu replies indifferently as she checks up on Lancer here and there while also poking around with her armor.

"Thank you Mar. I'm pretty sure that those in any measureable quantities would not be very good for me. But it it's simply meat, vegetables, and spices, I trust that it will be fine." He briefly considered something regarding handedness of organic molecules but, he'd eaten plenty so far and not hit that type of problem, so Edmond assumed it could be thrown in with the fact that everyone could communicate with each other as simply a favor offered by the multiverse. No need to look too close.

Eventually, another individual wanders into the engineering bay. 6D was making a stop here in her quest to map out the castle. The android looks around the bay, somewhat impressed with the machinery of the castle - it wasn't exactly the shiny, well maintained machinery she was used to, but it was also quite a lot bigger than any of it. The engine was probably in itself bigger than the entire engineering bay of the Bunker. 

"Hail Traveler."  Mar greets, as he sets up a stove, and begins setting meat and vegetables on a table.

He adds Mana from Rubber to the Meat, giving it more Weight, and adds Coal Mana to the Vegetables, infusing them with Life.

From an outside perspective, it looks almost as though he drew purple and blue liquids from the coal and rubber chunks in his hands, before shoving them into the foodstuffs.

6D turned to the voice, and inclined her head in greeting. "Hello! I'm new here. Just taking a look aroun-" she paused, watching what the man was doing. "...I didn't know that cooking worked like that." she commented. "What are you doing?"