The New Pokémon

Amethyst

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='AmethystStorm' post='2801' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:05 AM']Why? It's just like Swift Swim and Clorophyll.
That means there's probably a hail equivallent.[/quote]
The problem being, there's no way in OU to summon infinate sun and rain. So it would make hippodon and tyranitar in odd positions

They've only released one Pokemon that has the ability to double Speed in Sandstorm. I highly doubt they would move Tyranitar and Hippowdon to Ubers just because they can set up a single Pokemon. We don't know what other Pokemon will have this ability nor if the one that has it will end up being any good in the Metagame.

I have been rather disappointed with the type combination of a lot of the new Pokemon. When I saw Wooguru, this epic war eagle, I thought it would be something new like Fighting/Flying. But no, it's just another Normal/Flying type. I thought Rankurusu would be Psychic/Ghost because of how it is translucent, but it's just plain Psychic. And then most of them are just a single type like Rock or Normal. I'm just hoping that we see some more type combination. I am interested in Kurumiru because it's the first Grass/Bug Pokemon since Parasect. Now Parasect isn't exactly considered a beast and part of that is its typing and some of it is its stats. But hey, it has Spore and it was an interesting and unique type since the original games. Also like Emonga as I think the only other Electric/Flying Pokemon is Zapados, correct me if I'm wrong. So while it's not technically a new combination, it's new for a common Pokemon. If only they hadn't made it white as that is the only part of it that makes me think of Pachirisu, but I still like how it looks infinitely more.

[quote name='AmethystStorm' post='2805' date='Aug 12 2010, 12:17 AM']They still might add non-legendary autorain/sun though. We don't know. But yes, there is the chance that those two might be thrown up to Ubers or such.[/quote]

I hope not. Then every battle would be war of the seasons :c
[quote name='AZKnight' post='2857' date='Aug 12 2010, 04:17 PM']They've only released one Pokemon that has the ability to double Speed in Sandstorm. I highly doubt they would move Tyranitar and Hippowdon to Ubers just because they can set up a single Pokemon. We don't know what other Pokemon will have this ability nor if the one that has it will end up being any good in the Metagame.

I have been rather disappointed with the type combination of a lot of the new Pokemon. When I saw Wooguru, this epic war eagle, I thought it would be something new like Fighting/Flying. But no, it's just another Normal/Flying type. I thought Rankurusu would be Psychic/Ghost because of how it is translucent, but it's just plain Psychic. And then most of them are just a single type like Rock or Normal. I'm just hoping that we see some more type combination. I am interested in Kurumiru because it's the first Grass/Bug Pokemon since Parasect. Now Parasect isn't exactly considered a beast and part of that is its typing and some of it is its stats. But hey, it has Spore and it was an interesting and unique type since the original games. Also like Emonga as I think the only other Electric/Flying Pokemon is Zapados, correct me if I'm wrong. So while it's not technically a new combination, it's new for a common Pokemon. If only they hadn't made it white as that is the only part of it that makes me think of Pachirisu, but I still like how it looks infinitely more.[/quote]
Even one pokemon can sweep a team if it has a boost as simple as sending one pokemon in. Kingdra and akabutops decimate teams in their respective tiers without much support other than weather.

I agree with your point on typings hough, but I guess we can only hope the best is left for last. I'll be kinda pissed if Emonga doesn't evolve from pachirisu though, You can't have a squirrel and a flying one without an evoloution

[quote name='Valentine' post='2872' date='Aug 12 2010, 05:10 PM']Even one pokemon can sweep a team if it has a boost as simple as sending one pokemon in. Kingdra and akabutops decimate teams in their respective tiers without much support other than weather.[/quote]
I didn't say a Pokemon couldn't sweep with proper support. Kingdra with Swift Swim gets a huge boost. What I said was they wouldn't get rid of the Pokemon that [i]provides [/i]the boost. A Pokemon like Tyranitar that can do several things in addition to setting up Sandstorm won't be placed as Uber just to prevent a Sandstorm version of Kingdra. They didn't remove Abomasnow for being able to set up Hail. Sites like Smogon won't sacrafice one Pokemon to nerf another.

That's because hail doesn't allow pokemon to sweep, it doesn't boost stats. You don't think a pokemon with kyogre's ability won't be banned by smogon, the site that banned salamence?

I know it's counter-able, it's just like I said. Every team will be a weather one that just aims to cancel the other one's season :/

Snow Cloak - Evasion increases 20% in Hail

Ice Body - Heals 1/16 max HP in Hail.

Now I consider boosting evasion to boost a stat. Evasion can't be EV trained, but that along with move accuracy is still important. And Ice Body is just the Hail version of Rain Dish. I concede that neither really allows for a sweep like Swift Swim in Rain, but I just wanted to say that Hail can DO something. Again, Hail not nearly as common as Rain Dance nor is Sunny Day. But everything can do something at some level of the metagame since there is UU and NU, not just OU.

I also don't understand why Salamence got banned along with Garchomp, but hey. Smogon is the authority and there was....some reason. Besides, those are the only two non-legendary Pokemon in Ubers...and Wobbufett *shudder*. The rest are there mostly for raw stats. I still stand by that they won't ban Tyranitar and Hippowdon just because they have Sand Stream. And again, we have no idea if this Pokemon that has the ability that boosts Ground, Rock, and Steel attacks in Sandstorms or boosts its speed in Sandstorms will be any good. It might have awful stats or awful moves or something that makes it UU or NU. If that ends up being the case, we won't ban the OU Tyranitar to restrain some NU pest.

We also don't know if they are going to give other Pokemon the abilities Drizzle or Drought. So don't go freaking out about weather wars just yet. And besides, despite two strong Pokemon with Sand Stream, you don't see Sandstorm teams dominating the metagame.

• 4 weeks later...
Yo, this is all too much to read.

Can some do a quick summary or something. You know, what all these new abilities do and all this stuff you're arguing about...

I was pretty disappointed in the roster before, but looking at the current reveals, I think there's some hope.

-That ground/dark crocodile thing. That shows promise. It's gonna evolve into a badass, i just know it!

-kibago, that tusked dragon. Looks a bit like a dinosaur. I really want to see where they go with it. Wait, it has rivalry and mold breaker? Very nice. Mold breaker suggests it's from a fossil and is indeed a dinosaur pokemon.

-gigaiasu- the evil version of the regi series? I like it.

-mamanbou- looks like a new evo for luvdisc. Not my style or anything, but I like and welcome it.

-moguryu- the mole pokemon. Not bad. kinda digging the blue stripes in there, and the evo looks good to me.

-desukan- the sarcophogus one. I can really only see it as being spiritomb's evo.

-Basurao- that green magikarp thing. I predict that it will evolve into godzilla. not something that looks like godzilla (like feraligatr), but godzilla. I mean, look at that green coloring, and the shape of those fins! xD No really though, I want it to evolve into some kind of dragon, or at least a shark, the way carvannah did. This will for sure find it's way onto my team.

*Honorable Mentions*

-victini- for the fire/ghost typing. we don't need more rodents filling up the ranks of pokemon. really we don't. the big glassy blue eyes suggests a cave dweller. wtf does victory star do?

-wooguru- looks cool, typing sucks.

-shimama- looks good. it does. it fits with pokemon. but too many electric pokemon. although most of those suck...

-mamepato- not sure why, but it ain't bad. gives me the same warm and fuzzy feeling pidgey does.

-musharna- another psychic tapir thing. with a hindu-indian sound to the name. I'm down with that. It's still pink and purple and kinda formless.

-the otter's final evo- looks like dialga, but covered with cloister-shell armor. Why does it have walrus mustaches?

*The WTF?! Category*

-the flaming pig thing- it's a flaming pig. and then it looks like a retarded magmortar wannabe.

-munna- the purple-flower tatooed fetus pokemon. It looks like one of those magnified pictures of flea, but pink.

-hihidaruma- a lot like the flaming pig thing, but this time it's just a furrball with gorilla arms. like they're trying to be counterparts to the abominable snowman, the way iceman and the human torch are counterparts. Also, what does Encourage do?

-gochiruzeru- the gothic bitch pokemon, complete with terrible fashion sense.

-koromori- the furball bat thing that get points for being psychic and flying, but goes into debt for being a fly hairball with that thing in the center that sometimes looks like an eye, and sometimes looks like a nose/snout. lacks originality without being something worth copying.

-yanappu- enough with the damn apes. I hate the ugly monkeyball lookalike apes. Leave me and my primeape alone.

-emonga- another electric rodent, and really, 15 rodents too many, like that chinchilla thing. pokemon is officially trying way too hard to be cute.

-darumakka- I presume this to be the pre-evo for that fiery furball with gorilla arms. in the fuzzy picture, it looks like a bushy red-bearded face with 3 yellow buck teeth sticking out. the beard-face pokemon.

-miruhoggu- the angry chipmunk pokemon, this guy looks really angry or really baked. it's an angry/drugged up relative of sentret. wash, rinse, repeat.

Ooh, hadn't seen several of the newest ones yet.

I like Tsutaja and its evos the best out of the starter trio, I think. I like Pokabu in its first form, but the evos kill it for me. Mijumaru is the opposite, with the evos being a marked improvement over the first form, imo. Looks like the new water starter might not let me down after all (though I may still try Tsutaja first, regardless).

• Administrators
It IS Mael. =o You actually found your way back, it's about time. I still have your trainer cards (badges would carry over if you reregister the team) if you wanna continue your league challenge.

N8- Mael is one of... maybe -the- oldest member besides myself. He helped co-admin the site a few years ago.

So I just saw the new evolutions. I'm not sure I believe them. Now, they look pretty cool, but they also look nothing like their earlier or second forms... Tsutarja's is epic, Mijumaru's is pretty cool, Pokabu's is... well, good for what it had to work with. But still, the differences between the third and second forms (or first and second for Pokabu) is so much.... so... muchful.

You found me out pretty fast, Ame.

And who is that N8 person who apparently has all the badges!? *glares*

I thought they were pretty close to the starter forms, except the otter's last evo. I like how the lizard evolves and loses its limbs (take that, creationists!). =D