Any Tips For a Beginner Like Me?

Chillds

Title pretty much says it all. I heard about Reborn fairly recently and decided to start once Episode 16 came out, just to make everything easier on myself. So, any tips for me without spoilers? Also, I definitely didn't make this topic just to introduce myself to the community or anything like that.

Capture tons of pokemans, make sure you are up to date on hidden abilities since they are more frequent, you can make any of the starters work so choose the one that suits you best! >:]

I'd take time to talk to all the NPCs and just explore. Study up on field effects so you can effectively burn everything that Ame has carefully made to the ground turn the tide of battle into your favor. Light Shards are your friends. Don't be afraid to try new team members that you haven't used before, they probably will become invaluable! Above all, enjoy the journey!

Gym leaders and other major battles tend to be good at covering their own weaknesses. It could be certain moves or certain Pokemon, but they're measures put into place so that a single type/Pokemon can't just sweep the whole team. This might already be obvious for someone experienced in advanced Pokemon play, but when I started I was far from advanced. Reborn taught me some tough lessons about thinking up strategies beyond pure type match ups.

Learning how to exploit field effects can also be a lifesaver in certain battles. Sometimes if your Pokemon are having trouble, the field can give them an edge and give you extra strategy you wouldn't normally have in the official games. It wasn't always this way, but gym leaders have strategies that revolve around taking advantage of their field. That means if you alter the field, you break their strategies.

Ame is very, very particular about keeping things balanced, so rather than using your favorites, you'll most likely find yourself using Pokemon you might not normally use in official games. In Reborn, learning how to use what's available is key to survival -- you might find some surprising strategies in Pokemon you'd otherwise ignore. For example, there's a Kricketot at the beginning of the game. For Arceus's sake, get it. You will be thankful.

Train everyone in your party, and understand how to optimize your team for any situation. Even if its a pain, make sure to EV train to get the best edge against your opponent. Also, and this is just personal preference by the way, have a large roster of Pokemon to choose from. Also, handy tip: event Pokemon seem to come with a randomized Egg Move when you find them. If you use an outside source like Bulbapedia you can see what these moves are. If you find, say, a Sneasel in an in-game event and you want it to have Icicle Crash, you can hit F12 to soft-reset the game if the one you found didn't have the move you're looking for. This saves time in breeding for certain moves.

It's advised(at least imo) to read up on the field effects before you try fighting against a gym leader, or a strong opponent, since they tend to try their best to screw you over with it. Having a lot of pokemon on standby for rotation is also good to cover up your weaknesses against said opponents.

Be very aware of the level cap at all times. Being overleveled and missing one move because your pokemon is overleveled could completely change the outcome of the battle. Also, don't strive to have a final team of 6 or anything. Unless your pokemon have impeccable coverage and stellar EVs and IVs, you'll need a few pokemon in rotation constantly. Also, don't be afraid to pick up pokemon that are normally seen as weak if they can help you during an upcoming big battle.

Learn field effects, be aware of level cap, think outside the box (some boss battles can be "cheesed," brute force doesn't always work). Last one's probably most important, a lot of "useless" PU mons are amazing because of what they can offer against specific opponents.

Get yourself and train a pick up team for cash money(meowths are great with pay day).

The shiny rate has also been raised to about 1/100 so it's much easier to find shinies. Reborn also has custom shinies so if you don't mind spending a little time you can have a team of shinies.

Check every box, every rock, every dirt pile. Hidden goodies everywhere!

Don't be afraid to pick up a certain mon for a single Gym Battle and then box it forever - for example, Trubbish with Toxic Spikes can be useful against the second Gym Leader.

Reborn has common candies, that reduce a Pokémons level by one - don't be afraid to overlevel a Pokémon to evolve it, and then use common candies to lower it's level for a Gym Battle.

I'd also recommend getting a Noibat early on (you can get them around level 15, shortly after the first Gym). They have a good movepool, and have decent typing.

Get something with Detiny Bond, or a Ghost type with Curse (Duskull). They can help in defeating some strong singular opponents that guard event Pokémon (Like the Magnezone guarding Drought Vulpix).

Lastly, money is in short supply in this game. If you want to catch a certain Pokémon and you use too many Pokéballs - reset - those things don't grow on trees!

(Also, avoid the Game Corner - the prizes have been nerfed into uselessness)

Pretty much everything I've wanted to say has been said, but it doesn't hurt to reiterate a couple points.

EXPLORE. PLEASE, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND EXPLORE EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY. You will find so many good and useful things simply because you decided to talk to Random Npc #3002. Event mons, held items, ect ect. Speaking of Event mons...safe often! Lots of times you won't be able to get an event pokemon naturally until much later in the game. Sometimes they even get axed in the early game because they're just that good. Pick up what you can!

I cannot stress the point about having a varied team enough. You're going to run into a lot of tough and tricky scenarios throughout the game, ranging from fast teams, slow teams, teams designed to break your normal plans in half, and even teams that prey on people who overthink too much. Sometimes the dumbest solution is the best solution, don't be afraid to lose and find out something that works. I know my first playthrough the 4th gym really sat me on my butt and made me reconsider my life choices. Experiment, throw crap at the wall and see what sticks, you're bound to figure out SOMETHING.

Two more things before I let you get on with your day: First off, don't discount a Pokemon because it's not seen super often in standard competitive play. A lot of the time they're good because of their expansive TM movepool, and we don't have a lot of those in Reborn right now. Which leads me to my last point: natural level up movepool(and egg moves if you're into that)are KING. Empoleon is my all time favorite Pokemon, but when I chose Piplup I regretted it hard late game because that evo line's level up movepool is less than stellar. If a Pokemon has a strong level up moveset that takes advantage of its strengths(golem is a good example) give that Pokemon a second look, because they might just be with you need.

Thank you so much for all the advice. Everything will be taken into consideration when I start my playthough. This definitely seems like the Pokémon game for me!

Jesus. Allah. Buddha. Krishna. Zeus. The Old Gods and the New. The Lord of Light.

Make friends with one or more of these motherfuckers, you're going to need as much divine intervention as you can.

Or follow the advice above, whatever...

How about both?

I'd also recommend getting a Noibat early on (you can get them around level 15, shortly after the first Gym). They have a good movepool, and have decent typing.

I tried the Noibat, because dragon typing. He has been such a drag in all of my battles until I evolved it. Just not worth it! Pick one up when they are higher leveled.

Depends on your playstyle and the stats of the Noibat - you need to remember that with the wrong nature and poor IVs, Noibat is crippled.

Also look up on the monotype obtainable mons in team showcase to see what mons are available at your point in the game. You can also refer to the gym boss guide to look up their movesets and items. In my first playthrough I was completely clueless to the midgame event mons since they are not readily apparent unless you hunt for them and I reached the point of no return without a lot of fantastic mons. Thats why this time not only am I doing all the events Im also looking up what mons are required for future trades and getting them too. Its time-consuming but worth the effort as it makes the late game playthrough less grindy and rage-invoking :P

If you feel like RNG is bending you over the table and having it's way with you, it probably is. I can't tell you how many times I've been down to 1 pokemon against 1 pokemon on a tough gym battle, just to have an attack miss, or something else like that.

A lot of fights take many attempts to beat, so if you feel like you have a solid strategy, keep trying it :)

(Spent ~3 hours JUST fighting Bug Gym with a mono dragon team, and spend 5-6 hours trying to beat Fighting Gym with a mono steel team.)

If you have MVP pokemon over the level cap or even 10 levels above the cap, you can take risks for sweeping your opponent's team.

The level cap is just an illusion forcing you to balance your team but it really isn't as threatening as you think.

Hit F12 to soft-reset your game if your chances at attacking fails at a given opportunity.

I don't think Ame would modify "ignoring orders" and increase failures anytime soon so I guess it's worth the risk.