No BS

fireflame

You know, sometimes I watch playthroughs of other Pokemon Rom hacks and seeing hacks like Pokemon Snakewood, Dark Rising, and Naturia, i'm thankful for how Pokemon Reborn and Rejuvenation do things. What I mean by that is that they're difficult without being BS, and a good creator will know the difference. Trust me, I get frustrated and I often state my annoyance with the field effects, but it won't deter me from playing the game. Bottom line is, i'm glad of what Amethyst, Jan and other fan game creators on this site have done in regards to Pokemon.

Thing about Field effects and what makes them brilliant is that the player can utilize them to their advanatge just as much as the CPU can.

It also makes pokemon who otherwise would seem meh for a playthrough useful as they might have good field utilization(mist for example is great against shade and made Pelipper a lot more useful in my flying run than I would've expected otherwise).

• Developers

It's nice that since this isn't a rom hack you can get alot of stuff done that would be unheard of in a hack. For one thing Amethyst doesn't have to worry about replacing files and using the roms limited space on them. Tl;dr Reborn is perfection

It's nice that since this isn't a rom hack you can get alot of stuff done that would be unheard of in a hack. For one thing Amethyst doesn't have to worry about replacing files and using the roms limited space on them. Tl;dr Reborn is perfection

The only thing I'd argue is that AI is not as good as the official games, but honestly the margin of difference is so little there's really no point of trying to do it through hacking anymore in which I predict hacks will become obsolete. Hacks used to be way better due to essentials being so lacking and no animations, but the fangames have come very far now.

It's actually because I did a little bit of hacking prior that I was very reluctant to touch any of Reborn's coding stuff for Hardcore hence the whole Oshawott situation. RPGmaker is a lot more friendly due to the sole fact you don't have to type everything in for every event. This allows for a lot more freedom in event creating and far more possibilities than characters simply standing there and talking. Graphics on the other hand...you had to literally find, extract, then embed, then put back into the game vs delete old image and put in the new one.

What I really like about essentials over hacking as well is the fact that you can do a lot of the teams through txt files. Hacking you used a program where you could make trainers pretty quickly though you were a little bit limited in selection (aka no EV spreads). The hacking methods are way better than the essentials editor program in this perspective hence how the Fire Red Omega and such games were very easy and quick to make (mapping was also simple and user friendly, but RPGmaker mapping is overall better by a landslide). Both have their ups and downs.

Of course it's been a LONG time since I've done any hacking so the programs used could've changed or been updated to work a lot better. Fan-games are definitely still a lot more work compared to a hack where everything is pretty much wrapped up in a nice package to work with, but yeah they have way more resources to work with and aren't constrained.

As for the term BS, Reborn does have a couple of them, but they are generally within reason for difficulty purposes and still keep true to the Pokemon stats. Reborn's core design is what makes it so difficult though.

• 2 weeks later...

Thing about Field effects and what makes them brilliant is that the player can utilize them to their advanatge just as much as the CPU can.

It also makes pokemon who otherwise would seem meh for a playthrough useful as they might have good field utilization(mist for example is great against shade and made Pelipper a lot more useful in my flying run than I would've expected otherwise).

This is not always true -- the field effects are often limited to a single move or a few moves -- but still, point taken. Just curious, what does Mist do in the ghost type gym?