Pokemon XY and XY&Z. Did the Pokemon Anime get better?

I dont even care rn tbh. just finished watching ep 42 and 43 of xyz anime and

holy

fucking

what

did

I

just

see

these are, without a doubt, two of the BEST pokemon anime episodes I have ever seen. the kalos league is forgiven. everything that has been done wrong in kalos is forgiven.

I literally have no words.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they were talking about Alolan-Exeggutor. In any other scenario, I agree that he sounds kinda dumb tbh.

That's actually a possibility , didn't consider it. Lillie did know the answer to whatever the question was, but Ash was clueless. I hope for his sake that it was about Alulan neckseggutor

• Veterans

That's actually a possibility , didn't consider it. Lillie did know the answer to whatever the question was, but Ash was clueless. I hope for his sake that it was about Alulan neckseggutor

Or Turtonator's typing....why is it dragon again?

But yeah. I'm giving it a chance. I was very reluctant to even start watching XYZ after BW but I did in the end, and never regretted it. Here's to hoping S/M is even a fraction of how good XY was.

Forgive me for my overreacting and salty rage, I was not thinking rationally when I initially saw the trailer. I'm still pretty salty, but damn... A new series so soon with so much stuff is quite a lot to take in. Remembering that the show IS for kids, after all, I'm not too mad about that part anymore. Still baffles me as to how he would just put Greninja in Oak's lab, especially when there's room for Z-moves, but eh, at least Pikachu gets some love again (I'm surprised it never received its own costume in XY series. They had some room for that, right?) instead of just being there (Plus, it DID take out two psuedo legendaries and weakened, although barely, Alain's Charizard.)

I guess I'm just really, really annoyed that they keep dumbing poor Ash down. I remember when he went from badass in Gen IV to total noob in Gen V (Seriously, how does he not know that Electric attacks don't affect ground?), and it was just depressing, especially when that was on him (Like the Kalos League, he literally just invites Cameron to kick his ass with a decked out Hydreigon and Lucario. Hell, he even had a Ferrothorn.... I forgive Cameron on that. He had a good, competitive team, but was still pretty dimwitted.) I'm surprised Ash isn't a vegetable like Ghetsis already. I'll forgive him on the fear of dragons part since he DID nearly get killed by a few of them. And yes, I still understand it's a kid's show, but it feels like he is never going to get any development because whenever he does, it almost gets completely wiped, starting from scratch all over again. It's happened before, but for them to keep doing that? He's never going to learn anything if that keeps happening.

Honestly, I'll watch it because, like this, I thought XY and XYZ were bad at a time until I actually got deeper into it. Maybe Sun and Moon might have the same effect, but I'm not counting on it. It's different, so it has that going on for them. Although I seriously still think Ash should have gone to school BEFORE becoming a trainer. Seriously, why do parents think it's okay for their children to be on their own at the age of ten? I'll never know, it seems.

• Veterans

Forgive me for my overreacting and salty rage, I was not thinking rationally when I initially saw the trailer. I'm still pretty salty, but damn... A new series so soon with so much stuff is quite a lot to take in. Remembering that the show IS for kids, after all, I'm not too mad about that part anymore. Still baffles me as to how he would just put Greninja in Oak's lab, especially when there's room for Z-moves, but eh, at least Pikachu gets some love again (I'm surprised it never received its own costume in XY series. They had some room for that, right?) instead of just being there (Plus, it DID take out two psuedo legendaries and weakened, although barely, Alain's Charizard.)

I guess I'm just really, really annoyed that they keep dumbing poor Ash down. I remember when he went from badass in Gen IV to total noob in Gen V (Seriously, how does he not know that Electric attacks don't affect ground?), and it was just depressing, especially when that was on him (Like the Kalos League, he literally just invites Cameron to kick his ass with a decked out Hydreigon and Lucario. Hell, he even had a Ferrothorn.... I forgive Cameron on that. He had a good, competitive team, but was still pretty dimwitted.) I'm surprised Ash isn't a vegetable like Ghetsis already. I'll forgive him on the fear of dragons part since he DID nearly get killed by a few of them. And yes, I still understand it's a kid's show, but it feels like he is never going to get any development because whenever he does, it almost gets completely wiped, starting from scratch all over again. It's happened before, but for them to keep doing that? He's never going to learn anything if that keeps happening.

Honestly, I'll watch it because, like this, I thought XY and XYZ were bad at a time until I actually got deeper into it. Maybe Sun and Moon might have the same effect, but I'm not counting on it. It's different, so it has that going on for them. Although I seriously still think Ash should have gone to school BEFORE becoming a trainer. Seriously, why do parents think it's okay for their children to be on their own at the age of ten? I'll never know, it seems.

Seems to be more of an every other gen thing. He got wiped in AG and then again in BW. Not -too- sure if S/M is a reset like BW was or a smooth sail from XYZ. I'm still betting that they're talking about Alolan Exeggutor or Turtornator when they mention the dragon type by the way.

unless theres a complete reset of the anime (a new timeline in which ALL past events havent occurred ever) there is no way that ash doesnt know what dragon types are. im with azery on this one, probably turtonator considering it appeared in the trailer. or for what we know, it could be exeggutor, considering ash knows the thing as grass/psychic.

Um am I only the one that noticed that everyone in the trailer looks like an actual anime character in pokemon, while ash looks like a cartoon version from a spin off series

Litten also seemed quite weird in the trailer, here I'm hoping it's still an early key animation but not so hopeful... I really disliked Ash's redesign. Talk about going crayon shin chan on his face.

All I'm going to say is: Calm down.

You uh, do realise the Anime itself is mainly marketed towards kids, correct? Look at XYZ, it did phenomenally overseas, here in the west, but in Japan? It was a disaster. Ratings dropped quite heavily. They might be trying to attract their younger and main watchers once more, instead of the older ones here. Which might be their plan with the anime; one series for the older fans, the other for the younger ones, that is if we're looking at it pattern wise. Besides, Generations itself is targeted for solely the older audience.

Also, it's not the animation, if you look at it, it's the same quality, only a different style, which is fine really. You're really overreacting way too much here. Could it be better? I guess. But honestly, it actually looks pretty good compared to the poster. Am I going to watch it as I did XYZ? No, probably not. Do I think it's worse than BW already? Fuck no. BW was a disaster. S/M is looking to be better than that, though being better than BW isn't exactly high praise.

Well, XYZ did well on local ratings during the Serena arcs then dropped like a bomb when she joined the loser team. Yes, appealing to a younger audience would rise up the numbers, but you could do so by rising up the stakes instead of ignoring the international audience as BW did... Generations is targeted to game fans, but is a short collection meant for the internet, so not much of a win there.

I didn't like the style, I mean, Ash has remained more or less consistent during the run of the 18 series and then we go to this derpy face that reminds me of Crayon Shin Chan is well, disappointing... I would forget most of it if SM was a direct continuation but it seems like it will be another mindwiping for poor Ash

I'm gonna give it a 5 episode chance, and we'll see, but since the beginning I don't expect much.

Gotta say, I loved XY, it was done quite well. Especially the whole Flare Arc. Great conclusion and statement of what they anime could be.

Now for sun and moon, I honestly doubt they made ash dumber. They still have the XY team most likely, and after fan reactions, I don't think they'd stoop that low for no reason. The school concept probably won't last and is to teach newcomers the differences that their region has. Also Ash is getting a Z Ring off the bat, something we don't seem to see in the trailer or poster. I agree that the dragon line relates to one of the pokemon that don't seem like dragons but are.

I'll certainly be watching this new season, it looks pretty new and different. I like the idea and it has a lot of potential. I like the art style, but Ash feels out of place in it. I'll get used to it though, especially if the plots stay pretty good. Glad to see mimikyu and Beware with team rocket as well. They make perfect comedy but strong mons. They probably think mimikyu is an actual pikachu and catch it as it has exclusive moves. Beware will probably be the "let's hug James" mon. So that should be good. Hoping Ash gets rowlett but it seems like Litten for now.

Anyway, as stated, I'll be watching and hope it stays good. I'll remain optimistic unless it proves me wrong. As joe Merrick said on Twitter:

"If we survived the Black and White Arc, we can survive anything" That is a very true statement.

Gotta say, I loved XY, it was done quite well. Especially the whole Flare Arc. Great conclusion and statement of what they anime could be.

Now for sun and moon, I honestly doubt they made ash dumber. They still have the XY team most likely, and after fan reactions, I don't think they'd stoop that low for no reason. The school concept probably won't last and is to teach newcomers the differences that their region has. Also Ash is getting a Z Ring off the bat, something we don't seem to see in the trailer or poster. I agree that the dragon line relates to one of the pokemon that don't seem like dragons but are.

I'll certainly be watching this new season, it looks pretty new and different. I like the idea and it has a lot of potential. I like the art style, but Ash feels out of place in it. I'll get used to it though, especially if the plots stay pretty good. Glad to see mimikyu and Beware with team rocket as well. They make perfect comedy but strong mons. They probably think mimikyu is an actual pikachu and catch it as it has exclusive moves. Beware will probably be the "let's hug James" mon. So that should be good. Hoping Ash gets rowlett but it seems like Litten for now.

Anyway, as stated, I'll be watching and hope it stays good. I'll remain optimistic unless it proves me wrong. As joe Merrick said on Twitter:

"If we survived the Black and White Arc, we can survive anything" That is a very true statement.

It was actually said they don't have the XY team because they're working on another anime project that will air around the same time as SunMoon (and it's not Generations)

Welp finally watch this 1 hour special episode with subs

Shit everything from start to finish is awesome

Ash Kalos is the most badass Ash ever

one champ is not enough it seems

all 8 leader join forces on battle with their signature pokemon

GrantxViola, and here I was thinking that Grant true love is a wall

They manage to build the hype greatly and then end it with Zygarde's Core Enforcer, an interesting way to advertise it's newest attack

Nice job Pokemon Company, I have forgiven you for the League shit

but don't you dare mess S&M series

especially don't bring back BW writer

It was actually said they don't have the XY team because they're working on another anime project that will air around the same time as SunMoon (and it's not Generations)

Really? If you don't mind, do you have a source, just cause that sounds interesting. I wonder what they'll be working on. Hopefully without them, they can still do good with the sun and moon anime.

Really? If you don't mind, do you have a source, just cause that sounds interesting. I wonder what they'll be working on. Hopefully without them, they can still do good with the sun and moon anime.

I don't have a source sadly, but that information's been going around and getting quite wide-spread. I should have clarified that it's just a rumor (but given the difference in style, that rumor isn't too far-fetched) We'll find out for sure whenever there's an official studio listed

In other news, 2 episode titles have been released and y'all ain't gonna like them. Say goodbye to Ash getting trophies or Ash fighting Alan or whatever else people wanted to see

df421354be.png

It appears that not only will Serena 100% leave, but she also will likely not even voice her feelings

As for the second title, it seems either the sync frog will cease to exist as a phenomenon or it will get ditched in that ep (At least it won't be at Oak's..that is, unless syncfrog disappears and regular frog gets ditched at Oak's)

Edited by Masquerain

his moms face looks almost the same, I can deal with her because she wont be in every episode, but his face is so hard to take seriously now. In truth im very glad that serena didn't come back in this anime. I cant bare to think what her design would end up being if she was revamped.

I don't have a source sadly, but that information's been going around and getting quite wide-spread. I should have clarified that it's just a rumor (but given the difference in style, that rumor isn't too far-fetched) We'll find out for sure whenever there's an official studio listed

In other news, 2 episode titles have been released and y'all ain't gonna like them. Say goodbye to Ash getting trophies or Ash fighting Alan or whatever else people wanted to see

df421354be.png

It appears that not only will Serena 100% leave, but she also will likely not even voice her feelings

As for the second title, it seems either the sync frog will cease to exist as a phenomenon or it will get ditched in that ep (At least it won't be at Oak's..that is, unless syncfrog disappears and regular frog gets ditched at Oak's)

Alright thanks. then I'll keep it in mind.

As for synchro, my bet is Xerosic does something that stop Ash greninja from happening, or it can only transform in times when the world is coming to an end. My guess is this is their way to not leave it at Oak's with the bond being pointless. This way it could say a Oak's and not seemed special or as I saw someone point out, loved more then Ash's other mons.

CsipgoPWAAE2O_M.jpg

Remember the last time Ash and his mom went on vacation? BW happened. I hope to god this isn't the same but it's looking pretty likely.

Well supposedly the natural disasters caused BW episodes to be rushed to be finished and the cancelled plasma arc was suppose to set major plots up, but couldn't because of the disasters. Not sure how likely that is, but hopefully this isn't a sign of it going down hill.

I wonder though, could Ash actually be moving to Alola, or at least temporarily? Unlikely but could match the games plot.

• 3 weeks later...

It overall has a goofy and light-hearted adventure-focused vibe and Ash looks like he devolved

Today's anime episode was nice though. Everybody got medals of honor for fighting Fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhd and Alan apparently doubted whether he's really skilled as a trainer or was his strength all fake, Ash had to give him a peptalk and whatnot

only ash would peptalk someone into not giving him the title of champion when he rightfully deserved it

He wasn't thinking of giving it to Ash though, people should have abandoned those wet dreams long ago by now :ph34r: . It was more of a "what are you going to do now that it's all over?" conversation during which Alan hasn't decided what to do yet and doubts his strength