Are You For or Against Character Customization, Personalization, and Immersion in Games?

Do you like character personalization and immersion in games?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like feeling immersed in [Pokemon] games, like you personally are recognized as a character in the story? Or do you prefer playing the role of an actual character in a game with their own personal context?

• I like to feel as immersed as possible, like I am an actual recognized character in a story.
    • I prefer playing as an existing character in a story, with their own context and personality.
    • Don't really care. I don't think it's important or a necessity or something that makes a game or story any more appealing or attractive. There are more significant aspects of games that appeal to me more greatly.
  2. 2. Do you find it appealing when games 'break the fourth wall'? (When the game or a character become aware of their fictitious nature. E.g. when the game addresses the player directly rather than their playable character)

• Aspects of games that break the fourth wall in an effective manner appeal to me.
    • Aspects of games that break the fourth wall do not at all appeal to me.
    • Aspects of games that break the fourth wall do not really change my opinion of the game; regardless of its effectiveness and the impact it has on me, it isn't significant enough to change my overall opinion of the game.

Just curious. no reason at all it's not like I'm secretly making a story for a fangame or anything and this would be useful for the game pfft

In any video game (or by extension any book, movie, or any kind of story) does the game become more appealing to you if there is an aspect to it that allows you to personalize your experience, or make you feel more immersed by it? Or do you prefer to play the role of an existing character in a story with their own personal context, by only controlling their decisions; where they go, their actions etc. Or are you not really phased by these aspects of stories and games and they don't really affect your judgement of the game?

Just in case I'm not being clear enough I'll elaborate:

When asking about a game that intentionally tries to make a player feel more immersed and personally involved in the story, like they are a recognized character in the story, I'm including things like (but not excluded to) being able to customize your playable character (even down to a T); personalizing their appearance (skin colour, hair colour, body build, clothes, gender etc.) and even their personality..? (obviously making their decisions; where they go, what they do, the choices they make etc. Personal traits, sexual orientation yes im talking about possible character-shipping in a story, personal philosophy, political and ethical views etc.), fourth-wall breaking [possibly], and beyond, just to list a few things. This might sound really profound or convoluted or whatever but I hope I'm explaining what I'm asking properly :$

When I'm asking about filling the role of a character that already exists, with their own appearance, person and other personal context, I'm referencing (for example) games like The Last Of Us where you play as Joel and other existing characters, or the Deadpool game (where there's A LOT of fourth wall breaking, and you play as Deadpool), or Outlast, Until Dawn, The Evil Within, Soma, etc. no reasion for listing loads of horror games I've just been watching Markiplier too much..

If playing and controlling the actions of someone else or playing in a very personalized manner doesn't really matter to you and you like (or dislike) games and stories based on other things then that's also fine, I just kind've want to get a bit of an idea of what most people are into with books, movies, video games, etc. (the latter in particular but any story-type is fine) If you've got more to add on your opinion than just voting in the poll feel free to post:3

EDIT: Also, I'd like to know what people think of fourth-wall breaking in games. I've added a separate question for anyone with an opinion they don't mind sharing.

Edited by Guest

The main draw of customization/immersion for me is the ability to roleplay as my own character... so games like Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Skyrim, etc etc., are the sorts of RPGs that really draw me in.

However, even if I'm playing something with a set protagonist appearance and backstory, if the dialogue choices/story choices/romance choices are varied enough, I'll probably still enjoy it. The only persona game I've played, Persona 4, had no customization besides costumes and lacked a lot in terms of romance, (damnit atlus where's my yousuke/kanji/naoki/daisuke/kou/literally any nonadult male character route?????) but I could play around enough with the protagonist's personality that I still felt very immersed and invested in 'my' character.

So I guess what I'm saying is... appearance customization is definitely a plus, but what's more important to me is the ability to roleplay.

...And if there's gonna be a dating system, it damn well better have some gay options.

Come to think of it, immersion is all I look for in a game. I don't like it when the plot is something I merely watch from the outside, with my own contribution amounting merely to winning battles (with a "game over" screen popping up whenever I lose, effectively turning the game into a plain trade: give victories, receive plot advancement in return). I dislike it, because basically a game that works this way is a movie, only you have to unlock new scenes by winning battles. After a while, it gets very repetitive.

So yeah, I want my games to be impacted by my choices. I want the plot to keep my own decisions in mind. And if the game goes out of its way to point out which options are the "right" ones for me to choose, it pisses me off.

Hmm.. I have a kind of a mixed opinion as I really like the idea having a story form around a character I created/customized as feeling like I'm actually a part of it is nice especially when I make alot of the decisions that change the flow of the story.

On the otherhand having a pre-existing character that is built to be a certain way due to how he/she has to be in relation to the story may make me feel like it's limited and remove a sense of being immersed however I can still enjoy it if the story is built well enough and the character is interesting especially if I still have a choice to make in regards to what the character does.

In some cases I would even say it's not always important to have more freedom with a character or to be tasked with making all the decisions as it's relaxing to not always have control of what happens as it means I can just enjoy the story without the fear of a bad ending.

Overall I would say having full control over the character and the story is most appealing to me but I still find being more limited and having less choices to make appealing in it's own way and for me personally it's relaxing and less stressful when I don't have to think too hard.

To clarify I'm talking about video games if it didn't seem obvious.

Edited by The5ilverback

I love games that give you the ability to customize your character. As in, create from scratch and having choices that impact directly in the game. It's something that makes a game very appealing to me. It's even better if characters react differently, depending on the customization a.k.a A town might accept you faster if you're a woman. But another town might think your character is more trustful if it's a guy, for example.

However, I've always seen games as a way to live somebody else's life. Creating my own character that has no relation whatsoever to me is awesome. But, playing as a premade character in their own story is not bad either.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that customization/immersion is something that draws me to a game. But I won't turn down a game that has a built history with a premade character.

Sometimes I feel like playing the history of the Knight that was thrown on the streets, gets back up, make connections and gets the throne. Because that's the story.

And other times I feel like creating a female with a Power Fist and a Revolver as she goes on a murdering rampage through the Wasteland. Just because I can.

I like having some choice, but I feel like too much can be a problem.

If they let you do whatever you like, I feel less immersed into the universe if my character isn't what the game developer had in mind (I'm wording this awfully).

So I have no problem with customisation provided that it makes sure you still are relevant to your setting and plot.

I like to feel like I am an actual part of the story, and customizing my in-game avatar is a big part of that. Of course, that doesn't mean I should be able to go on a murderous rampage. Following a certain plot, but from the perspecitve of someone that could be you, is perfectly acceptable, given some choice for the (presumably silent) protagonist. Especially Pokémon games have a lot of potential, since the main characters are always rather unconnected to the plot except for stumbling into it by pure chance, unlike other RPGs with the protagonist having their own personality and background. But I don't enjoy these games less, since a good game will be a good game.

But, if the game does go for the immersive approach, fourth wall breaking is a really bad thing to do and works only in rare cases. Someone who is in control of the game world subtly being hinted at by some lunatic on the street (e.g. Secret of Evermore), or the player getting directly involved as part of the plot (e.g. Earthbound), or trying to teach an underlying lesson to the player (e.g. Live A Live (not actually a full break of the fourth wall, but the message extends to the player)) can do that if it is done well. Addressing the player suddenly and without any conceivable reason can really break the mood.

My opinion on this is kinda varied. I believe that if a game has customization it should recognized in the game (like skyrim or dragon age interactions based on race) Not just a thing to waste time in the beginning of the game that have no effect whatsoever. (Fallout 4 as far as I can tell, except gender). Editing their personality through interactions is always a plus for me because it means your decisions actually have consequences.

As for fourth wall breaks, it's okay sometimes, like in the disgaea games it's funny. I don't think it should ever be done seriously (Except Star Ocean:TTET where you're playing a game within a game)

I honestly prefer games with personal customization and immersion. It's part of why Pokémon Y hits such a sweet spot for me, because I can actually play as... Well, me. It's why I love RPGs so much, and even Halo where I can create my own SPARTAN.

Games with a preset story and character are okay, though I seem to be incredibly picky with then. For instance, The Witcher. Everyone loves it, but I can't get in to it. And, my entire reason for having trouble with that is it claims to be an RPG; yet I'm stuck with a preset character throughout the entire series. Sure, I can make many decisions and change clothes and so on; but it just doesn't immerse me like it should. If you were to say Witcher 3 or Dragon Age: Origins, I would play Dragon Age: Origins every time.

As for Fourth Wall Breaking, that really depends on the tone of the game. If the fourth wall is obliterated out of nowhere in a game with a more serious tone, it breaks immersion and makes it a no go. But, if the game has enough humour and doesn't take itself seriously at times it's fine.

If I wasn't sick before, I would've posted earlier because this is one of those things I love to talk about. As for customizable characters, I think it's a neat idea, and works for games like Splatoon where story isn't the strong point, but I'm generally against it. It's warmed up to me a little bit after FE Awakening and Fates, but then games like Xenoblade X completely change my mind again about it. There's a big difference between the two: one has a silent protagonist, while the other does not.

I'll start with the silent protagonist. This probably has to be one of the most overused tools in terms of making the main character. Generally, it's used so that a player can reflect what their character is doing or saying and even sometimes gets the options which also helps with the immersion. The problem is also part of the solution. What if you don't immerse yourself or reflect yourself onto your character? Most of the time, it's actually nothing more than an empty husk or not really a person with zero personality and actions that really don't alter the story that much (in Reborn even, it's the other characters that really drive the plot. Think of how many instances outside of gym battles, where the player is alone facing a villain or a single character...especially toward plot driven events). In other words, how can a feel for a person who really isn't a person?

There are some really good silent protagonists in RPGs though (and other games). One of the better silent protagonists is Mario. In Mario RPG and the Paper Mario series (along with the Mario and Luigi as well) you can actually get a feel for Mario's character, despite the fact he doesn't talk. In fact, it'd take away from his character if he could because he actions are just so well done (he even does a reenactment of his encounter with Smithy which is hilarious). Metroid is another one that while Samus can talk, her situations show are isolated meaning she has no reason to talk. As you can see, it's a very situational thing but it's usually better used for a "weaker" story or more actiony games. Though one character that counter this arguement is Lucas from Mother 3 but that's a different story.

Now I'll get into a protagonist that can talk. A big fault here is that customizable characters generally have a bland or generic personality, but the fact they can talk really does make them more human. As a general term to writing a story, the main character should be someone the readers (or players) should be able to connect to as well as be someone enjoyable to watch as they go on their adventure. Believe it or not, that's easier said then done. I could probably make a list of bland, boring, or horribly written protagonists found in games which is why it's not uncommon for someone's favorite character to not be the main protagonist.

I prefer talking characters as their actions do affect the story vs a silent protagonist who generally has little impact (or is a chosen one) in terms of story. Is Shulk a better character than Cross (the Xenoblade X avatar)? Yes, because we know about his beliefs and how they different from a couple characters. Here's a quick way to understand my thinking: make a list of all your favorite protagonists and see how many of them are actually custom characters. Custom characters rarely help with building a long or grand story such as the Xeno Series, the Tales of Series, or the Legend of Heroes Series who have some great speaking protagonists.

Now I think Thomas brought up a really good point about a movie and a video game. I agree with it in that watching a movie would have a pretty similar experience if a video was always about the main story. Video games are rarely so straightforward. There's side plots, quests, and a whole gameplay mechanic that'll make you a bit more involved vs just sitting and watching a movie which is why I prefer them, especially with long stories. A majority of them are about exploring a world the creator created when you get down to the finer details.

But if you want me to simplify that complicated answer: For story purposes, I dislike them for the most part, but for gameplay, I actually prefer them which is why I say it's very situational.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the fourth wall, I don't care for it honestly. I mean it'll get a good laugh or can be done really well, but it's not something I look for. I know undertale has quite a few, but I haven't played that game so I can't judge it.

I can't honestly vote on this poll... cause for one in my beliefs here and more because each option is a little too detailed. I'm not trying to be rude by the way... it's just... hear me out lol.

For example, the last answer for the first question should be the first part with the second line omitted or placed as a different answer. There's a big difference between thinking that Either way is fine and good for a story and straight up bieng around to engage in different systems within the game. Something that is about the Mechanical side should be it's own poll option, not linked with the "It could be either or" one as well. Since it sends conflicting messages. Since I can be immersed either way personally. But, I'm hardly playing these games from something other than story. This leaves me with no answer that gives across what I really feel.

Anyway, onto my other point as it's more important by far. It's that a game should be what that game needs to be. The game sounds dictate it's own design. One shouldn't do something because it's popular thing to do, or that they see it is widely appealing. It should be made solely for the game itself and trying to get across the message that particular game wants to send. Nothing more, nothing less. The game should be what is designed around and what it right for it. That enhances the experience immensely. The story being told etc etc... should fit together with the message the game sends, and through what lens it is told. Certain stories should be told through blank slates, while others should be told through fully fleshed out characters. Neither is the wrong or a bad approach. Heck, it totally okay to prefer one over the other. But, I feel a game should be what is meant to work there and not just preference. After all, the journey we are taking needs the current lens. If it would be heightened by being told from the viewpoint of an established character use that. DO you want the player to be more int he same boat as the protag, not knowing anything about the world around them and placing them in the shoes of a blank slate you is basically an extension of themselves projected into the world? it these things we must ask, and do. It' all a part of design. You must know what would work best with the tale you are spinning. That, is of the utmost importance.

Same goes for the Fourth Wall breaking elements. DO they add, or subtract from the final product? I know that's all highly subjective in the end but that's what is important. Trying to take it from an angle where you can look at something's impact in the story and what it's purpose is. You as the writer, designer,... whatever needs to do what fits the game. Don't cripple yourself by picking the wrong type of style for it's story. Really, take a long good hard look at the narrative and figure out fro yourself "waht would be best here?" analyze the work and really understand it and give it the tools to succeed.

• 3 weeks later...

I love customization and i love when i can say stuff rather than stay silent, i also love when i can be myself and be paranoid when it comes to bad guys, never fully trust anyone, plot twists are always watching!

I love customization in pokemon games, and honestly barring x and y reborn kids have more customization than any of the main games. however, if you want to put me someone else's shoes, I guess I'm alright with it.

Fourth wall breaking is one of my favorite things in video games. Games like Undertale/OFF essentially don't have one (the judge, the first character you meet, greets both the batter and the player, and you input your own name and not the batter's) and they're awesome. Also fourth wall/meta humor is great imo, see deadpool/early RedvsBlue/Nui from Kill la Kill/Disgaea

In my personal -opinion- appearances are but a minor detail, and not as important as a good plot or an enjoyable set of mechanics, in any game. Sure, X and Y for instance let us dress up our character, but we must realize that they do have a rather stale plot, even by Pokémon standards. Previous games that did not feature customization can claim a better plot or more significant mechanics. The thing most people appreciate X and Y are usually Megas and the graphics; dressing up was merely a nice touch.

As for fourth-wall humour, I find it amusing if it is done in a proper fashion when the situation warrants. That's one of the reasons why I find Radomus in Reborn to be such a great character. Some may find pixelated bits of data claiming a distinct entity and directly addressing their controlling Gods to be disturbing, but in the larger picture, that's the charm of games like Undertake, and it all really is just for our fun and shouldn't be taken all too seriously.

• Global Mods

When it comes to games like Pokemon where your background story is mostly "You live in a town and/or just moved to a new place and you're going on an adventure!", I prefer to feel like it's me. Facial expressions are awesome, though (like how your character gets an angry face at Archie/Maxie). So are decisions that actually impact what happens. Things I wouldn't want to happen include being shipped with another character or being forced to do something morally gray or wrong to progress (ex: Titania's diary, which I'm glad is being changed).

Most of the time I'm not a fan of fourth wall breaking. I still voted that I like it if done effectively because I'm sure there are some scenarios where I'd think it's funny.

• 3 weeks later...

Appearance Customization is good but it sometimes can get a little too much and becomes more of a distraction. The dressing up in Pokemon X&Y was nice but they definitely could have worked more on other things (the plot)

However, personality customization is one of my favorite things in games. The fact that certain choices depict how your game will end is very interesting to me and a major thing I love about Reborn and also Undertale.

It makes the game worth being played multiple times, unlike a game with 1 story line and 0 options.

Breaking the fourth wall is very funny to me in most instances, but also can be used in a very serious tone (Undertale). It all depends on what YOU want to do with YOUR creation. is it something you want to be funny and classic? Or original and edgy? however you want your game to be is the best way to decide where to put these factors

hope it goes well :)

I like appearance customization, but I always have the thought of "the main character's default is what they truly are/look like"
Like in Fire Emblem for instance, robin is male by default and has a predetermined appearance. That breaks my immersion. In games like TES though, there is no predetermined race/appearance/gender, so that does not break the immersion.

I don't like when games or shows break the fourth wall, it breaks the immersion and just seems careless.

I enjoy both forms, although for vastly different reasons.

I enjoy being able to create my own unique character from scratch and letting my own actions dictate the plot because, if properly executed, it can lead to quite an intriguing tale about the consequences, forseen and otherwise, of my own actions.

On the other hand, there is a certain appeal of being able to jump into a specific portion of a character's life and be able to temporarily take control while their own character remains constant. It puts into perspective that the controlled portion is just that, only a portion of the character's life.

It really depends on the game. In some games, like Pokémon, it would be nice to be given more of a chance to insert your own personality into the player character.

But in other games, it doesn't work. I sometimes like to follow a specific character and watch them grow throughout the game.

It really depends on the game. Games like pokemon and fire emblem (especially fates) should have customization, as it's your adventure and therefore your choices that you make. In a game like God of War however, its Kratos's story and so its more like your helping him achieve his goal and not neccessarily you doing so.

Most of times, an actual character is my peferred. Unlike custom/yourself personality, the character is more memorable as everyone know and feels more relateable.

I don't have any appeal for Character Customization like 99% which says something. It's just not interesting me.

I also find silent protags frankly bland and perfer often characters so can talk their own with development through their "adventure".