That Altaria!!

Kanne28

Greetings, fellow trainers. I'm battling Ciel right now. The first 5 of her pokemon aren't that tough. My Magnezone, Steelix and Dragalge can go through them without big trouble. But then Altaria takes the stage and that's pretty much it. Does that diabolic being have any flaws? I've pretty much tried all my possible rotation but that Altaria laughs at them. Can anyone that has gone though her enlight me? It'll be pretty much appreciated.

• Developers

I struggled with it too. A strong Poison type is nice to have, but if I remember correcty, it has quake or Earth power? I think so, although it's been a while. So that would restrict your options to basically crobat. That said, any reasonably punchy Fairy can deal with it. Doesn't even have to be THAT punchy, I think I pulled it off with Clefable in the end when Nidoking wasn't doing it for me.

You're running a Magnezone and Steelix and having trouble with a Mega Altaria? Use something that paralyzes it possibly, get something with Soundproof, keep a Steel type alive since they should be able to take a hit and then use any Steel move. Or set up Stealth Rocks (One of the few gym leaders this is a viable strategy) to severely weaken the rest of her team earlier.

I actually used my Delphox and Klinklang to take it out on my first run. Mystical Fire lowered its special attack enough so Klinklang could could in, set up Shift Gear (+Attack and Speed) and then KO it with super effective Gear Grind.

Edited by Generalguy64

I just used Sneasel I think. My first run team at Ciel was Sandslash, Emolga, Fearow, Alakazam, Camerupt, and Sneasel, and Ciel went down after a few tries. Hell, even my second run team required that Sneasel to help. With Icicle Crash and NeverMeltIce, it torn through her like a hot knife through butter.

Yeah, That Earthquake is the nightmare on my team. Thats a one shot for my Steelix. Only my Magnezone survives it with Sturdy but that only buys me one turn. And the only good lvl Fairy type i have is Gardevoir but her defense isn't that high. Guess I'll have to get a Crobat.

Do you have anything that can poison it?

I didn't have any trouble with Altaria so I'm not completely sure about strategies. Air balloons could help.

In future the Gym Leader Help Thread is where these things should go.

Combined with an air balloon Dragalge should be able to straight up OHKO the thing with sludge wave granted it has adaptability, though you may also want to look into EV training/breeding your team while also balancing out types and weaknesses, Drag, Mag, and Steelix together leave you heavily weak to ground with a notable weakness to fire

Yeah, That Earthquake is the nightmare on my team. Thats a one shot for my Steelix.

wtf? Steelix should not be getting one shotted by Megataria's earthquake unless it's severely underleveled and has a def- nature with like single digit IVs or something. It's not getting a STAB off it and Steelix can survive most STAB'd earthquakes with his high defense.

I think the best way to beat Ciel is to have a pokemon that can reliably set up attack/special attack and speed buffs then go for the sweep.

wtf? Steelix should not be getting one shotted by Megataria's earthquake unless it's severely underleveled and has a def- nature with like single digit IVs or something. It's not getting a STAB off it and Steelix can survive most STAB'd earthquakes with his high defense.

I think the best way to beat Ciel is to have a pokemon that can reliably set up attack/special attack and speed buffs then go for the sweep.

EQ does trigger the high striker though. Perhaps this person has been unlucky with multiple unfavourable high striker bonuses to the AI.

People seem to forget you can't leave the circus or route 2 at this point.

really? i don't know because i challenged the gym right away. after the fight i can seem to transverse anywhere without any problem

Yeah, That Earthquake is the nightmare on my team. Thats a one shot for my Steelix. Only my Magnezone survives it with Sturdy but that only buys me one turn. And the only good lvl Fairy type i have is Gardevoir but her defense isn't that high. Guess I'll have to get a Crobat.

btw you should use that one turn-sturdy to thunderwave it, your pokemon will move faster. I have lucario myself and drapion, but i refrain from using it because of the earthquake high strike combo. thunderwave it then use misdreavus with perish song to end it, or any pokemon with destiny bond. pretty sure your untrained misdreavus will move faster.

here's my experience.

i only use 2 pokemon in this gym, greninja and galvantula. from the start to midway, i used galvantula. the last 3 pokemon i use greninja with ice beam. one shotted talonflame with surf. For mega altaria, i used ice beam from greninja. luckily it got frozen with 10-20% HP. She ran out of hyperpotions and boom. The first time I win a gym with just one KO. 6-1 GG

really? i don't know because i challenged the gym right away. after the fight i can seem to transverse anywhere without any problem

Yeah, since that marks the end of the episode, so Ame permits us to leave the Circus and explore the other parts of Reborn while we're waiting for the next episode to do things like get new Pokemon. However, before Ciel, you are locked out of Reborn City. Next Episode, we should be able to go back, since we have Fly, though.