Lift/ Elevator Etiquette

mde2001

So, I live in a tall apartment building so I have this problem a lot. I use a lift quite regularly and unfortunately there are other other people who sometimes get into these lifts when I am in them.

Being the awkward and anxious person I am this always worries me a bit. The question is- do I awkwardly stand in silence or greet these people.

My default is a sort of nod of the head and slight hello noise but this isn't always successful. Sometimes people give me a "why on earth are you trying to talk to me you strange child" look while sometimes people have the "why aren't you engaging in proper conversation young man" look. This is why often now I just remain in silence- causing very awkward, long silences during the 30 to 40 seconds we are in the lift.

So, what do you do in lifts? Do you greet people, ignore people or are you one of those strange social people who actually talks to them?

I'd be interested to see if others have this dilemma.

I usually just stay quiet and do my own things in lifts, as most Asians are not so cozy around each others in public places(but i cant speak for everyone obviously), but if they happen to be my nearby neighbours in the lifts, i would still make small talks just to be polite~I admire your courage to reach out to strangers actually~

I live in the 12th floor of an apartment. I just pull up my phone and and see if there is anything interesting while I'm on the elevator with people I don't know. I don't see the need to randomly talk to strangers if I'm not going to be interested in what they have to say.

Remain silent and completely ignore anyone else in the elevator and if somebody is really trying their heart out to make a new friend tell them to stop talking to me cause I don't care about them, remember if you gain a reputation as a rude person people will avoid you like the plague.

If the person that enters the elevator is somebody I know, then we will talk, whether I like it or not.

If it is someone that I don't know though, I'll acknowledge their presence. And then I'll proceed to ignore them once the person is in the elevator. That's why I'm usually with my headphones, to avoid unnecessary conversation.

also how do you have over 1000 posts already didn't you have 600something the other day

Usually staying quiet unless there's something worth bringing up is the way to go about elevators usually. If you were working in an office, a brief hello is fine as a sign of etiquette.

Oh and also try not to pass any gas while in an elevator. People tend to not like that.

Unless they initiate conversation, I just stand there and possibly smile, if I find myself near the buttons I ask what floor, other than that I just silently wait to reach my floor. If it so happens that the person gets in the way I do ask politely if they would move

Just blow an airhorn when someone else tries to get in so you keep the elevator to yourself

^ - D-D-Don't do that. You will be physically injured OR GET INTO AN EPIC AIRHORN BATTLE

But in all seriousness, invest in some headphones and practice giving subtle smiles and headnods. Elevator rides last, at the maximum, a minute. Not really enough time for small talk for someone you don't care about anyways.

No one's ever talked to me in an elevator before, so I've never said anything.

also how do you have over 1000 posts already didn't you have 600something the other day

Depends how long ago the other day was. I've sped up a lot (and spend well to much time here) but would have been at 600 around two months ago I think.

I press random buttons and make explosion noises.

Seriously tho, if the building is less than 7 floors tall, I take the stairs because it's faster. Otherwise, it depends on whether you know the people or not.

I'd take the stairs if I could. But walking up over 50 flights of stairs isn't really practical.