Gen 3 vs Gen 5 Tiles - Which side are you on?

Caz

• Developers

In development of my fan-game I recently realized the possibility of overhauling graphics from Gen 3 to Gen 5, due to being so early in development. For example, here is one of the characters, Connor:

Here's the mugshot so you can better compare:

NALbkRY.pngBefore: i4DCZGs.png After: cDqxPsc.png

This means the game would use B/W styled tiles, and B/W styled characters. Animated Pokemon would also be introduced. However, I realized that many people including myself appreciate the nostalgia and familiarity of the 3rd Gen games. The animated Pokemon would be either 5th gen (2d Animated) or 6th (3d Animated).

So I suppose the question is, do you prefer Gen 3 Graphics or Gen 5 Graphics?

Edited by Chivalry

Appeal wise, I always thought gen 3 sprites were able to stand out better and look a bit more appealing (Gen V sprites were cool, but didn't quite look as polished). The one thing I like about Gen V sprites is that you can do many things outside of Gen III's like hand and arm movements giving player sprites a bit more expression or actions. If you're up for a challenge, expand to Gen V due to its uniqueness, but Gen III almost always will look nice especially when you have to create your own palettes.

I do like Gen 5 sprites quite a lot, but am still heavily biased towards Gen 3 because reasons. When a fan-game does Gen 5 sprites well though it is extremely refreshing and enjoyable, but oftentimes the creator isn't able to do it properly and then it ends up just looking weird.

• Developers

I think I'll experiment with it a bit and see the results. Although I do believe Gen 5 allows the characters to show more personality, at the same time Gen 3 often feels more... Pokemon? I'll perhaps post some screenshots later.

4th gen. (But actually tho). I guess whichever is easier for you to make.

I like both, but I think I'd rather see Gen 5 sprites since not as many fan games use them.

The only fan game I can think of that uses Gen 5 sprites is Pokemon Scribe.

There are more. Maybe not on the forums, but there are more.

I prefer Gen 4, it looks more like a traditional Pokemon game while looking better than Gen 3, which in my opinion is way outdated and overdone in games. The best variety is available for it, as well. Plus, overworlds in Gen 5 are kinda tough to use.

Edit: oh, and the 6th gen pokemon look REALLY strange in 3d, I think it's out of place to use them in a game that mostly uses pixel art.

Edited by Sunbean

Of all the interesting and detailed characters, you had to pick the one of the worst (as far as looks go) to showcase each gen... Gen 3 doesn't look bad but its extremely over-used at this point and I'm getting a weeee bit tired of it. I assume its also the easiest one to work with, which is why many developers prefer it over the newer generations. And lag problems be damned! Either fan-made authors need to optimize their games or people need to upgrade their toasters. Seriously... a PC lagging to a pokemon game... I would be embarrassed.

Edited by IvoryOwl92

Of all the interesting and detailed characters, you had to pick the one of the worst (as far as looks go) to showcase each gen... Gen 3 doesn't look bad but its extremely over-used at this point and I'm getting a weeee bit tired of it. I assume its also the easiest one to work with, which is why many developers prefer it over the newer generations. And lag problems be damned! Either fan-made authors need to optimize their games or people need to upgrade their toasters. Seriously... a PC lagging to a pokemon game... I would be embarrassed.

There shouldn't be any lag issues as long as the animated Pokemon aren't in .gif format. It's really easy to set up .png images as animations and even my toaster computer handles it well. :)