Summer/Fall Anime Season 2015

Felicity

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this episode of heavy object was much better imo. starting to like the series, with the only thing that really bothers me being some of the cgi flames/explosions. other than that, it's been pretty interesting to see kamachi handle a military/war setting.

• Administrators

It's the Fate/Grand Order depiction of Marie Antoinette in a halloween outfit, I think? It looks like it, anyway. And I know he likes her.

As for this season, I'm still not quite sold either way between Asterisk and Chivalry yet. Leaning towards Asterisk, though. I still have to watch some of this week's stuff. Owari no Seraph is among those things, but the first episode was looking good already. I definitely thought Comet Lucifer would have TTGL vibes but I'm not going to base my expectations on that just yet. I don't really have a lot to say at all yet, to be honest.

My ace shows for this season happen to be Is The Order a Rabbit Season 2, One-Punch Man and Attack on Titan: Junior High. So far, all three of them have been absolutely amazing. I also shockingly managed to get a lot of members in another fourm into GouchiUsa successfully thanks to an avatar of Chino and Tippy that I sported.

• Support Squad

Yo, okay, can we talk Rakudai kishi no cavlry for a second.

so end of ep 4, there's a kiss on the cheek. Real sweet moment after some pretty dope action. Nothing too out there though.

Start of ep 5, turns out Stella thinks they're lovers. Seeing as they hadn't mutually acknowledged this, I thought it was going to become a "whoops, you misunderstood" gag that ~then~ leads into actual confessions.

Nope. Kiss on the cheek actually meant they got together.

Ladies and Gentleman and Non-binary individuals, We have the 5th harem of the century so far to have actual romantic developments.

/applause

Oh, and one punch man is so, so fucking good. I had t go and read the mange, which is so woefully incomplete right now :c

• Support Squad

It will only get better, I can say that.

Also, seen some footage of Perfect Insider, on the edge as to whether or not to catch up whilst it's still coming out this season. Same with the asterisk thingy.

i personally found asterisk to be boring. i guarantee you won't find anything special or different about that anime, it's just another ecchi/harem troupe mash-up with an unoriginal supernatural powers system.

rakudai, on the other hand, is pretty nice. i just hope ikki doesn't end up like a tatsuya aka anime jesus. at least he doesn't feel like a robot or one-dimensional, and the romance is also pretty good imo.

rakudai, on the other hand, is pretty nice. i just hope ikki doesn't end up like a tatsuya aka anime jesus. at least he doesn't feel like a robot or one-dimensional, and the romance is also pretty good imo.

You dare to insult Onii-sama, the OneTrueTatsuya?

jkjk.

I only watched the first episode of Rakudai and I actually liked it. Not sure if I have time to watch it though…

On another note, I'm really enjoying Heavy Object. Poor guys can't catch a break at all.

hdn0RRb.jpg

That being said, Heavy Object is still in the middle of Volume 1. We only just finished Chapter 2 and are now moving into Chapter 3 of the first volume.

rakudai has even more onii-sama though. and better onii-sama. mm incest

seriously though, the show is pretty much ecchi/harem bait at first, but then there's actual good romance. and there was this one scene in episode 3 that was just pure epicness. minor spoilers ahead, but watching this will probably convince you to keep up with rakudai.

im liking heavy object a lot more now too, but damn that cgi is just so freaking bad. im not even exaggerating, it almost makes me want to not watch it, and i usually dont mind bad animation in anime. the sea looks like yogurt or some kind of gooey substance. just look at how they're animated ascending from the water on the first few seconds LOL

the explosions and fire are also pretty shitty. jc staff is obviously saving up for index/railgun sequels. other than that, it's entertaining. the protagonist has a surprising amount of badass moments and as i watch it i just want to see them succeed. you even get used to the fan service pretty easily.

im liking heavy object a lot more now too, but damn that cgi is just so freaking bad. im not even exaggerating, it almost makes me want to not watch it, and i usually dont mind bad animation in anime. the sea looks like yogurt or some kind of gooey substance. just look at how they're animated ascending from the water on the first few seconds LOL

the explosions and fire are also pretty shitty. jc staff is obviously saving up for index/railgun sequels. other than that, it's entertaining. the protagonist has a surprising amount of badass moments and as i watch it i just want to see them succeed. you even get used to the fan service pretty easily.

Yeah. The Objects themselves are fine (in terms of CGI) but the remainder of the CG is pretty damn weak.

Yeah, that's a Kamachi-style protagonist alright. He sure loves his underdogs. From Kamijou Touma, Hamazura Shiage, Qwenser Barbotage, Heivia Winchell, Higashikawa Mamoru, and Jinnai Shinobu, the guy writes some really good underdog protagonists.

noragami aragoto is still the one at the top of the season for me. it's amazing how this show manages to blend in out of context comedy, good action, hype, drama and immense character development so well. the episodes only keep getting better and better. in general, it's a huge quality increase from the first season, which was already nice imo.

• Support Squad

I'm not gonna lie, I feel like I keep missing something with Noragami.

Don't get me wrong, I can see exactly why people like it, I can recognise the high quality of the show in general but, well, it just doesn't work with me. In the first season I couldn't really connect to the characters and was always waiting for the moment when I did, only for it to never come. The end of S1 was nice but still, nothing fantastic. The comedy throughout kinda fell flat with me seeing as most of it was just outrage at Yatos quirky spending habits and general antics. Just kinda meh.

most of the problems i had with the first season were only "problems" because it didn't have a sequel. for starters, i hated yukine. i could barely relate to him or like him at all, despite everything he went through. seeing how he has changed on the second season though, has made me like him much more. i found it really easy to relate to him and understand his development. though hot-headed sometimes, he isn't the same bratty asshole he was on the first half of the first season, which is good.

the other thing is that yato, bishamon and kazuma all had extremely vague pasts, which made it hard for me to even understand them. i like yato a lot just for the comedic relief and how awesome he is in general, but that was about it. after going through their backstories though, i eventually started to connect to even more. so far, the second season is doing a great job in exploring the rules that were set regarding the master and their regalia. every character has a motive you can understand too, even if some of them are a bit vague.

other than that, my only real issue has to be hiyori. she was fine in the beginning of the series, but other than providing comedic relief (something every character contributes to in one way or another), she's just a damsel in distress most of the times. and the romance that the show tries to hint is pretty unnecessary, given how predictable it is.

all in all, i personally enjoy the comedic relief moments to some extent, and i usually tend to dislike that sort of thing, especially on average shounens. i find it really easy to understand the character conflicts and every single fight scene/dramatic moment so far has been done so well i can't help but feel hype. i can understand how some people find this just a slightly above average shounen series, though.

• Administrators

i personally found asterisk to be boring. i guarantee you won't find anything special or different about that anime, it's just another ecchi/harem troupe mash-up with an unoriginal supernatural powers system.

... Are you sure you don't have these reversed? I feel the opposite, aside from the boring bit, but I'm easily entertained anyway. I've been keeping a mental note each week and there has yet to be an episode in which Stella is not seen in her underwear a bathing suit etc, or less. It's not, like, a deal breaker or something but I think I've seen enough of her wearing almost nothing for one season. not to mention the leg touching scene this week......... The rest is pretty nice though. Now that's it been half a series, though, I think I can say that I prefer Asterisk overall. There aren't many differences at the highest level, but the ones that are there warrant watching both maybe. at least that's my excuse

Also, I forgot to mention Sakurako-san in my last post (and shame on me for it). It was recommended to me by Wes and Dana because it reminded them of Hyouka (which was my favorite anime before Oregairu (and it might still be, who knows)) so I gave it a shot. I don't think it's all too similar to Hyouka in general given the characters and the overall darker tone but that's okay. You weren't kidding about the visuals for sure. I mentally compared it to Aldnoah.Zero recently with its attention to details and overall knowing their shit (...granted I haven't fact checked much) and I think that's super cool. is gud. The opening and ending are also great.

... Are you sure you don't have these reversed? I feel the opposite, aside from the boring bit, but I'm easily entertained anyway. I've been keeping a mental note each week and there has yet to be an episode in which Stella is not seen in her underwear a bathing suit etc, or less. It's not, like, a deal breaker or something but I think I've seen enough of her wearing almost nothing for one season. not to mention the leg touching scene this week......... The rest is pretty nice though. Now that's it been half a series, though, I think I can say that I prefer Asterisk overall. There aren't many differences at the highest level, but the ones that are there warrant watching both maybe. at least that's my excuse

tell me one thing about asterisk that hasn't been done at least 10 times before in anime. I don't know about you, but i wasn't able to find that thing.

• Support Squad

tell me one thing about asterisk that hasn't been done at least 10 times before in anime. I don't know about you, but i wasn't able to find that thing.

The same thing could be said for Rakudai. Whilst it's better imo than the standard harem it's still borrowing heavily from other shows by leaning more on the romance genre. Hell, the main Tsundere girls of the shows both have pink hair, both are introduced whilst undressing, both challenge the MC to a duel because they think "He should pay for his life for seeing a maiden undressing" and also have a fire motif. They both prove that they're using from a lot of cookie cutter moulds in a lot of ways.

The same thing could be said for Rakudai. Whilst it's better imo than the standard harem it's still borrowing heavily from other shows by leaning more on the romance genre. Hell, the main Tsundere girls of the shows both have pink hair, both are introduced whilst undressing, both challenge the MC to a duel because they think "He should pay for his life for seeing a maiden undressing" and also have a fire motif. They both prove that they're using from a cookie cutter mould in a lot of ways.

rakudai does not fail in the writing as much as gakusen does. the only cliche you could really complain about regarding the former is the fact that sometimes, stella is nothing but a tsundere. but even then, she feels like a different tsundere when it comes to handling her feelings. rakudai's romance is also actually good and doesnt make you fall asleep like gakusen's does. the character interactions are also better on the former. neither of them are funny, despite trying pretty hard, but at least rakudai does something different, whilst gakusen does not.

everything about gakusen toshi asterisk is just predictable. nothing special is going to happen. if you were to hand the show as it is to 10000 different people and tell them to finish writing it, there would surely be many different outcomes, but there would still be one outcome that would be the most common comparing to all. that outcome would be the anime/light novel series as it is. the show starts off with cliche characters and does nothing to try to make the writing seem good over the time. instead, it sticks with its shitty cliches and an extremely poor story. just another "let's see how many dere characters I can fit on this show" type of harem. characters are all one-dimensional and there's no way to connect to them. the personalities and character interactions have all been done before. shit, even the protagonists' back stories are all ripped off from other shows.

on rakudai, the only anime that really comes to mind for having similar characters/story is mahouka, and even then, they're pretty different shows on their own. all they are is similar, rather than a complete rip-off.

• Administrators

To be clear the only thing I was arguing was the comment about Asterisk having the ecchi elements when I definitely think Rakudai is the worse offender in that regard. I don't think it's unique or special or anything.