Having trouble beating Shade!!!

Err... Perhaps you should post your team?

For future reference, post a thread like this in Team Showcase.

Anyway, I don't know your team, so all I can say is that Ghost types and Dark types are your friends. Or you may want to charge the field up so Ghost mibes deal less damage. I recommend Gourgeist or Moxie Scrafty with Crunch.

I have Pangoro, Mightyena, Amphoros, Meowstic, Duskclops, and Growlithe. Been training and looking for a fire stone but no luck. I trained Mightyena and Duskclops to upper 30's and Pangoro still has yet to learn a dark type move. I had no idea there was a Team Showcase. Lol

What I'm enjoying about this game is that it's dark and challenging. All of the main games have gotten way too easy and predictable.

It appears in all of the alleyways, it first appears on a windy night disguised as something and it appears in the other alleyways after during a clear day and the last pokemon it's disguised as is a teddiursa so you might want to save at that point

Giving specifics, such as moves, stats, natures of your team members can be significant in gaining more advice. Given how centralized your team your team is with a fair bit of Dark types, it's a mild surprise you're having issues, not to come across as an insult.

In my rock monorun I beat Shade with only two pokemon! I used Curse-Gyro Ball Onix against his Gengar cause it spammed Shadow Claw. Then he sent out his Trevenant and I sent me Shell Smash Magcargo. Set up twice and swept all his team with Lava Plume and Ancientpower :D

Hey!

Against Shade's team, you want some kind of set-up sweeper who's not weak to Thunderbolt, as his Gengar has a fairly weak Shadow Claw instead of Shadow Ball. If you can get a couple of boosts in against it, you can easily beat the rest of his team.

- Pangoro doesn't learn Crunch until lvl. 42, so you might consider benching him for this fight, as all of his other moves are Normal/Fighting.

- For Ampharos, consider giving her Spark to boost her special defense, and toughing his guys out with Thunder Wave + Electro Ball. She'll struggle against Rotom, though!

- What gender is your Meowstic? Female Meowstic gets Charge Beam + Shadow Ball and should be fast enough to take on Shade if you level her up to near the level cap, while male Meowstic gets Light Screen to help another member of your team tank hits.

- Dusclops gets Shadow Punch at 37, but he's super slow, and Shadow Sneak is a bit too weak to OHKO stuff. You can use him as an emergency, or late-game cleaner (he'll probably be able to tank 1-2 Pokemon and KO them back, but he'll get worn out pretty fast, being weak to Ghost.)

- Growlithe gets Crunch at 39 and will be a solid addition, as he can hit/tank everyone on Shade's team. If you have a mining kit, try saving and resetting until you can get a Fire Stone out of a rock.

There's 3 side-quest Dark type Pokemon available, as mentioned previously; Carvanha gets Bite at lvl. 1 and also gets Ice Fang for Golett and Trevenankh, but is super frail. Hondour gets Bite/Faint attack, and is a little slower/weaker but has better defenses, and also gets Fire moves (although you already have a Growlithe, so this probably isn't that great.) Murkrow also gets Faint Attack, but it has very weak attack and needs a Dusk Stone to turn into a Moxie-Honchkrow (and doesn't get a stronger Dark move until 55!)

Is the Scraggy sidequest in the sewers available right now? Dark/Fighting with the possibility of getting Dragon Dance and Moxie, and Bite/Crunch would be fantastic against Shade!

Also: Consider hitting Shade's Pokemon on their secondary types. Gengar is weak to Psychic, Trevenant is weak to Fire/Flying, Golett is weak to Ice/Water/Grass, and Chandelure is weak to Water/Ground/Rock.

If you're really stuck, try buying a bunch of Potions + X Speed + X (Special) Attack + X (Special) Defense, as it'll let you "set up" with Pokemon that normally don't learn boosting moves!

Edited by asterlicks

Is the Scraggy sidequest in the sewers available right now? Dark/Fighting with the possibility of getting Dragon Dance and Moxie, and Bite/Crunch would be fantastic against Shade!

At this point in the game, Scraggy can be obtained. On the Railnet, get the Dull Key and unlock the door in the Obsidia Slums. You have to fight three Pangoro. If I recall correctly, two of them are Level 45, and the final one is Level 50.

Couple of things to add.

If you have an ability capsule, consider changing pangoro's ability to scrappy. That way you can hit shade with your normal and fighting moves.

Another event that gives you a dark type is the nuzleaf event. You need it to be a windy day. Go through the beryl caves (currently blocked off by rock smash rocks), and proceed through there until you come to a glade where there will be several nuzleaf and a shiftry. You'll have to battle 5 nuzleaf that are about level 20-30, and a level 55 shiftry. Be sure to bring something that can torch the field for that fight, as the shiftry hits very hard. If you got the leaf stone in shelly's gym, you can have a shiftry for your fight against shade.

Edited by sound of silence

Thank you all for the advice! This is my official second play through but the game has chaged soooo much since my first run that I was unable to complete and won't ever be able to. Been playing Pokemon for most of my life and developed a specific style of playing which makes this game really challenging because it forces me to explore out of my comfort zone. I will take all of this into account and stratagize better in the future. The main Pokemon games are too easy and because of that I've gotten bored after one play through. If only Nintendo and Game Freak would take a page from Reborn's formula.

"Japanese kids find pokemon single player too frustrating!!!!"

-GF's reasoning for making the main games easier. it was mentioned in an interview or something, but they design the single player content so kids won't get frustrated and save the more challenging stuff for postgame. I feel like every good game frustrates a kid at some point, plus it's better they learn how to overcome frustration via videogames although I get parents getting annoyed at their kid having breakdowns and tantrums because they can't beat miltank LOL.

• 5 weeks later...

personally I feel comfortable with the difficulty of the mainline games because I mean it is designed for 10 year olds. Reborn fills the "harder, more mature" niche just fine.

also, thanks for making this thread. the last gym leader I got stuck on in my previous run (restarted for e15)