Is the anime worth watching?

zareason

I've always wanted to start the anime, but I've never bee sure if it's worth watching. If it's too childish with annoying things like pikachu/some pokemon being kidnapped every episode then i'm not interested. But if it has nice gym battles and such i'd give a try.

pokemon is not even close to being able to be called a good anime. Its WAY to childish so dont think about poke when u think of anime. My fav anime is sword art online. its available on hulu and netflix and its about a boy being trapped in a virtual mmo game and can die irl if he dies in game. they also have a sao 2 if u enjoy sao. Also there is Attack On Titan which has so much hype around it for a very good reason.

Edited by foovy10

What, you mean the pokémon anime? Well that depends pretty much on what you like and what you don't, as you've already stated. Pikachu and other pokémon get kidnapped pretty much every episode, yes, but every now and then they have some nice gym battles, so dunno I believe you should pick an episode, watch it and if you don't like it, keep in mind that there's a VERY big chance the rest of episodes have a plot very similar to the one you saw.

Some say the first season (Ash-Misty-Brock) is the only good one and the only that counts. Some say that the Best Wishes series was the worst, while others say the worst was Advanced adventures. Some say BW got the series back in track, while others say XY did. I don't really care about any of these things, since I watch an episode if a pokémon I like is in it, and thus I haven't seen neither all eps or all seasons complete.

Dunno what others would recommend you but I just suggest you try an ep and see if you like it or not.

^ although this is largely because of nostalgia, I recommend watching the first and maybe the second season of the anime. Johto and Hoenn weren't that bad but in my opinion after that the quality just went way down; even more after Brock left the show.

pokemon is not even close to being able to be called a good anime. Its WAY to childish so dont think about poke when u think of anime. My fav anime is sword art online. its available on hulu and netflix and its about a boy being trapped in a virtual mmo game and can die irl if he dies in game. they also have a sao 2 if u enjoy sao. Also there is Attack On Titan which has so much hype around it for a very good reason.

Already watched both of them, i watch a ton of anime. Never the less thanks for the suggestions.

The Irregular at magic high school is alright imo but not really popular so you can try that.

Also idk bout you but im not waking up at like 8am on Saturday to watch a pokemon tv show. I dont care if its a hyped episode i need my rest.

Edited by foovy10

The Irregular at magic high school is alright imo but not really popular so you can try that.

Also idk bout you but im not waking up at like 8am on Saturday to watch a pokemon tv show. I dont care if its a hyped episode i need my rest.

What? You can watch them online.

Pokemon for me anyway, was good up until the end of Battle Frontier, then I just...kinda got bored with it. I tried watching both Diamond and Pearl, and Best Wishes, but while DP had a very good rival(reminded me of Silver), it...eh. Don't even bother with Best Wishes, that had to have been one of the worst openings to a season(Pikachu loses to a beginner trainer and a noobie Snivy wut?).

However, XY from what I've been watching is really good. Granted, it's childish, but that's what it's always been, childish with good battle sequences. You can also watch the movies for a good time. Even the DP movies I enjoyed(again...not Best Wishes.)

As for other good anime, there are plenty out there; My personal favorites being .Hack//SIGN, Ergo Proxy, Genesis of Aquarion, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, and One Piece(at least up until much later into the series with all the slow pacing and other stuff.). Pokemon Origins also deserves a shout-out for being like a true adaptation of what pokemon should be. 'Dat Charmander vs Squirtle scene. <3

Edited by Aurorain

For the first several seasons (through Johto), it was good, although I wouldn't advise watching every episode, just the ones that seem interesting. But in Black and White it got really bad.

As for anime, I Recommend Bleach, Naruto Shippuden, Monster, Death Note and Blood Plus, and Fairy Tail

Aside from the regional adventure with Ash & Pikachu, there's also Pokemon Origins, which is a really short anime-like representation of Red's adventure through Kanto. That's something I can recommend watching.

As for the main anime with Ash, it's doubtful that you'd enjoy it - after all, watching him make awful decisions is painful to watch.

Aside from the regional adventure with Ash & Pikachu, there's also Pokemon Origins, which is a really short anime-like representation of Red's adventure through Kanto. That's something I can recommend watching.

As for the main anime with Ash, it's doubtful that you'd enjoy it - after all, watching him make awful decisions is painful to watch.

That's because Ash is Red's shadow; He'll never be as good a trainer as he is. ;3

The kanto (original) series are actually quite funny and fast-paced. I enjoyed the show greatly, even up to the Johto league. After that, the show changes drastically, even ditching Ash's entire team. It gets much less interesting after that, unfortunately.

i'll try that thanks!

Bleach isn't very good. Don't get me wrong I loved it but the plot was nonsense. Action was dbz on high though. Irregular at magic high was pretty awesome. Honestly just check out anime sites and look up top 10s in genres you like. As far as pokemon is concerned I think everyone may have on nostalgia goggles. I liked it as a kid but if I were to watch it right now I'd probably not care for it at all.

Yeah it's gotten a bit bad over the years, especially his companions in Unova and Kalos aren't that great plus too much time between the gym battles which are quite good themselves.

You can look up which episodes feature the fun battles and just watch those. However this is the anime where type match ups don't matter and super effectiveness doesn't do jack shit.

My fave battle must have been against Roxy tho. Made Scolipede one of my fave mons

Edited by Helia

The Pokemon anime isn't that good. I liked the first two seasons because the predictable episode pattern wasn't that noticeable back then. There are plenty of episodes of Ash and co. wandering into a town/bumping into someone, there's a problem and it's up to them to help fix it. In the end they happily walk out and the episode ends. Plus there's also Ash always releasing his (strongest) team members or leaving them at home. Team Rocket will attempt multiple times to kidnap Pikachu and failing. Once you see the pattern, it may bother you depending if you mind it or not.You don't feel there's progress in each season. It sort of resets itself. (Pikachu's thunderbolt not knocking out a low level tailow flock in the first few episodes of the Hoenn season. You'll know what happens in the end a majority of the time.

If you're into story development, characters growing, and you do mind characters seemingly forgetting most lessons they learned on their journey, this show is not for you. The only thing worth watching are the episodes focusing on battles (ie. tournaments, contests, battles, etc) and legendaries. The show can be boring. Best to Google the interesting episodes and asking fans their favorites.

Gintama is a good anime. Don't let the 250+ episodes scare you. Once you watch it, strangely enough 250+ feels like it's not even close to cover everything. Lol. Gintama has humor, action, epic arcs, good main characters and lots of interesting minor characters, and breaking the 4th wall lines. Warning: don't eat or drink anything if you watch Gintama. You'll thank me later. :)

The Pokemon anime isn't that good. I liked the first two seasons because the predictable episode pattern wasn't that noticeable back then. There are plenty of episodes of Ash and co. wandering into a town/bumping into someone, there's a problem and it's up to them to help fix it. In the end they happily walk out and the episode ends. Plus there's also Ash always releasing his (strongest) team members or leaving them at home. Team Rocket will attempt multiple times to kidnap Pikachu and failing. Once you see the pattern, it may bother you depending if you mind it or not.You don't feel there's progress in each season. It sort of resets itself. (Pikachu's thunderbolt not knocking out a low level tailow flock in the first few episodes of the Hoenn season. You'll know what happens in the end a majority of the time.

If you're into story development, characters growing, and you do mind characters seemingly forgetting most lessons they learned on their journey, this show is not for you. The only thing worth watching are the episodes focusing on battles (ie. tournaments, contests, battles, etc) and legendaries. The show can be boring. Best to Google the interesting episodes and asking fans their favorites.

Gintama is a good anime. Don't let the 250+ episodes scare you. Once you watch it, strangely enough 250+ feels like it's not even close to cover everything. Lol. Gintama has humor, action, epic arcs, good main characters and lots of interesting minor characters, and breaking the 4th wall lines. Warning: don't eat or drink anything if you watch Gintama. You'll thank me later. :)

Thanks for the reply! As already stated i decided to not watch it and i'm trying out Pokemon origins. When it comes to all of the anime requests this wasn't the point of this thread but as an anime thanks! As a big fan of one piece 250 episodes isn't a lot so i'll definitely try it once i finish what i have currently planned.

Have you tried "Fairy Tail" yet? My favorite series ;)

It is about a magical world where wizards form guilds and are hired to go on adventures. Very nice show with a large number of episodes already.

Edited by Busti

Well in all honesty, it depends on what you are in to. If you can look past the negatives of Pokemon, it's a good show. The other problem some have barely if not at all touched on is the fact the show is through and through for kids. One suggestion is the Pokemon Chronicles spinoff series. Chronicles is pretty fucking amazing with storylines, because you never follow one character too much, as it's simply that: chronicles of certain trainers.

In one arc, we follow Ethan and Eunice as they try to stop Cassidy and Butch (the most badass Team Rocket members ever) from obtaining Raikou. In another arc, a new trainer gets cocky at Oak's lab while picking his Pokemon, and Oak tells him to slow way the fuck down and appreciate them.

To answer the question at hand: if you don't like kiddy animes, Ash's Pokemon is garbage on the average day. Origins is pretty cool because it was not as geared to kids and Chronicles was kinda in the same boat.

Let's not fool ourselves, Pokemon anime is made for kids. It has simple story and not much depth in order to be easy to watch for a stereotypical child.

I watched first season as a kid, and enjoyed it greatly. 2 years ago I decided to revisit the memories, and oh boy. Even my nostalgia goggles could help. It just lost it's appeal when one know and understand more. Do not even talk about the game inconsistencies. thunder armor "shudder"

All'n'all, it's not that bad. Pokemon Origins was great. Mega Evolution Special was also coll. (basically things that do not have Ash in them). As for the regular anime: the newest season have some great animations, you just have to pick the right episode. (usually the gym battles)

The anime imo is terrible with Ash winning all his battle via impossible tauros poop that can only happen in an anime. His pikachu loses to mere unevolved starters but can somehow beat legendaries and stuff of that caliber. It's too annoying to watch

It's something for kids to enjoy so yeah, no expectations for anything beyond that.

Edited by Masquerain