Most Surprisingly useful Pokemon

Sir Issac

So I still am kind of new, but I took a look around and I didn't see this, so...here's hoping this isn't misplaced!

So reborn, as we well know and hate love tends to force us to use different pokemon than we expected on our teams. One's we wouldn't normally use. Some which end up being surprisingly useful despite what one might initially think of them! So I was just kind of curious what ended up being that surprisingly useful Pokemon that you'd never used before but ended up using a whole lot in the game?

For me, I'd have to say in my recent play through kricketune has proven to be quite the beastly addition to my team in the earlier levels. I didn't expect him to do so much, but he really pulled his weight in a surprising way! I thought that was kind of neat, wouldn't have considered using him before.

So I'd love to hear what other people found to be a really surprisingly strong addition to their team!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was Seaking. I really needed a water type early game, and fishing for a Goldeen seemed like the best bet. As it evolved into Seaking and got Waterfall naturally I realized it really isn't that bad of a pokemon. Too bad it got replaced by my Barbaracle anyways heh heh heh

To me is Kricketune, no doubt. In early game, with technician it's a beast.

But for the rest of my playthrough, It was Ampharos and Sandslash. I never used them in any game, but here they never left my main team xD

I hadn't played Gen VI before I picked up E12 Reborn, so I gained all sorts of respect for the mons I had never even seen before. Pyroar and Meowstic, specifically. These two truly pulled their weight on my teams and Pyroar remains on my main team to this day and I rotate Meowstic with Gardevoir.

Meowstic with it's Prankster screens really did an amazing job for my team. Becoming a martyr of sorts and allowing the rest of my team to come through with no issues.
Camerupt was INCREDIBLY powerful. He basically one shotted everything with Flame Burst and Earth Power. But eventually he got too slow and got one shotted instead if screens weren't up. I think I just needed to fix his EVs a bit but meh I changed up my team.

I'm still kinda new to the whole pokemon thing with Reborn being my second game but I was surprised how good my beautifly was in the early game. She was an absolute beast thanks to her speed and wide moveset. She was a regular member of my main team up until the ice gym. Other surprises were Arbok and Simipour never thought about them much before but here they were early game powerhouses and are still useful in late game here. I had to do some serious EV training, turn them into glass cannons, and adjust their movesets to keep them useful.

Granbull's high attack stat paired with a speed boost from any status and it swept really well for me early/ mid-level and having bite/headbutt enabled it to flinch things it couldn't sweep.

Trubbish had it since the begging of the game and was a big contributor in the team, even at the end of the game. I mainly use him for toxic spikes and gunk shot. He can tank a few hits with stockpile and also use Acid spray to weaken the enemy's special defense for your team to easily kill. Trubbish was with me through thick and thin, and it all just started when i found it in a alley garbage can.

Emolga's Nuzzle + Electro Ball worked wonders in the earlier Gym Leaders.

I also enjoyed using Simipour, he was pretty good til I found a better Water-type later on.

Mightyena was a surprise, I didn't expect him to be so good, but he nearly swept Julia's team in my Dark monotype.

Meowstic with it's Prankster screens really did an amazing job for my team. Becoming a martyr of sorts and allowing the rest of my team to come through with no issues.

Camerupt was INCREDIBLY powerful. He basically one shotted everything with Flame Burst and Earth Power. But eventually he got too slow and got one shotted instead if screens weren't up. I think I just needed to fix his EVs a bit but meh I changed up my team.

Wow, i really can't imagine Camerupt being useful. I had one once for all, it proved very quickly to be dumb.

Anyway, as for me, Arbok and Donphan were very useful in the early game. Then i was very impressed with Vileplume (i don't often trust Grass pokemon).

Meowstic: I got the female version, so no prankster after the update, but she still proved really useful. Thunder wave was also nice to allow my Pachirisu a good set-up to just electro ball things.

Pachirisu: Seriously, Electro ball and Nuzzle is a superb combination. And super fang for those ground, electric and grass types. Charm is also really useful for giving my other pokémon chances at survival. Though, Pachi is not bad in terms of defence either!

Skuntank: I'll mention this as I only had her because she was my first shiny (not hunted for) and turned out to KO a lot of things, and resist corey's team enough for a win, that she became a staple member in my team right until the recent post-radomus areas. And I needed Carracosta for surf.