about new pokemon games..

Oris

new "pay-2-play" games  

23 members have voted

1. 1. so, is it good or is it bad?

• its good
    • its bad
    • i dont care

so, in case youre not knowing yet, a new spin-off pokemon game was anounce on nintendo direct. this one is called pokemon rumble world, and, as you can guess, it the next addition to the rumble series. altrough there is something rather intresting around it... if you ever played pokemon shuffle, you know what im talking about. because this game actually uses the system of games where you play for a while, run out of "gems" to play, and have to wait for them to refill... or just buy them. honestly, i myself dont see it as a bad thing.. for now. still, maybe nintendo gona turn all theyr spin-off pokemon games into those? because if they do, it actually pisses me off. mostly because i like the spin-off games alot, played trough most of the mystery dudgeon games, and actually thinking about seeing them as a "pay-2-play" version of theyr former selfs, instead of actual "full games" is.. pretty sad, for me at less. (not to mention i cannot imagin myself playing a mystery-dundgeon game like that.)

so.. what you all think about this?

Kinda played the previous rumbles games. Alright, but i don't care in the feeling.

Kinda wish if wii u had a pokemon game like XD gale of darkness or colosseum. Would maybe skyrocked the wii u.

Edited by ShingSt

Kinda played the previous rumbles games. Alright, but i don't care in the feeling.

Kinda wish if wii u had a pokemon game like XD gale of darkness or colosseum. Would maybe skyrocked the wii u.

xd and colosseum were great ;)

• Support Squad

Pay 2 Play is almost never a good business model, it just goes on to encourage more shady tactics if people endorse it. The only time P2P should be a viable business model is Free to play because of course that'll be the price for the base game being free. On a game like Rumble though, soon it'll be pay to skip and that'll be a whole buttfucknugget of controversy for the people who might have actually worked hard for their mons. It'll just encourage nintendo to do more microtransactions and such and eventually they'll take the Ubisoft/Watchdogs path where they're actively hiding base game content behind a pay wall.

• Administrators

Unfortunately it's apparently an -effective- business model as Nintendo has openly said they intend to continue moving this direction in ordinance with the market adapting to mobile gaming and microtransactions.

That's really off-putting for me as someone who isn't interested in those sorts of experiences, and as a designer who favors traditionally more-involved and extensive gameplay.

As long as it doesn't start mixing in with the main games, I'm fine. Not just the handheld main title games, but if they ever make a new Stadium style or Coliseum style game, they better not have that. I'd lose all faith in Nintendo if they did.

I personally don't think that Microtransactions will be -much, if -at all- impactful on the main series games.

With 'Rumble' it makes sense. The thing that mobile games have going for them is that they are games that are pleasure inducing and they actually take the anatomical processes behind pleasure into the account. The early game is fast paced and really easy, and then the game gets difficult, and the game blocks progress to keep the player 'addicted', which for many players, makes games like 'Candy Crush' sooooooo good.

It doesn't translate that easily into adventure based RPGs. Micro transactions tend to be cosmetic best case scenario and they are much more vilified in said platform.

As a form of accessability, I could see 'P2P IVs' and possibly DLC, but if the game needs it's basic features to come with individual pricetags, Gamefreak and Nintendo won't hear the end of it.

Breeding and EV training will always be there though. I would reckon.

honestly, i dont think nintendo will do that for the main pokemon series, altrough the possibility of a P2P stadium game scares the hell out of me. an while yea, shuffle is free and the new rumble game problaby will be as well, id hate to see all teh spin off games become microtransaction based.

I mean, one of the things that put people off the meta is raising "Perfect" mons. Who's to say nintendo won't offer a form of pay to skip for that....

i doubt that. really do. mainly because its a feature in the main series games, raissing perfect-mons is kind of a crucial aspect of competitive gameplay. and it would just mess with all the hard work of anybody going for competitive playing such as championships. but then again, nintendo is unpredictable WHY U NO GIVE US MOAR AMIBOS DAMNIT NINTENDO

• Global Mods

I've never heard of Rumble before I saw it yesterday, but it looks/sounds fun and I'll download it. From what I read, the diamonds are available in the game itself, so you don't need to pay to get them. As for the idea of needing to pay, I don't like it because I have no way of paying for things over the Internet and I wouldn't think it worth paying for anyway.

Nintendo already hoped on this sliperry slope when Pokebank was annouced.

Now the new Rumble game has microtransactions, and if my memory serves me well, it isn't the first one.

Good thing GameFreak said that they wouldn't release DLC for the main games, because that compromises the gaming experience.

I hope that's true for microtransactions too. Creating a pay wall for content already in the game is ridiculous and feels like a rip off to me.

Guess we just have to wait and see how things develop on the long run.

there is two ways this can go:

one: pay to win: you want that legendary? that demi-legendary? or that starter? money!. oh? your missing an item that is needed for your dream team? money! if this scene happens people will have to pay to be on top or at least be competitive.

two: warframe: in warframe you can play without spending a dime but it is harder and there is a steep hill to climb on things. you have to wait for things to be made but if you want it done fast you can pay for it to be done instantly, anything in the game can be made and some things cannot be purchased(or at least without costing an arm and leg.)

either way it goes it will spell suffering for those who dont want to to shell out and some kids will go the route of farmville and shell alot of money into it. in other words: greed and addiction

Yeah, this game is basically pay to play at your own pace. The diamonds are quite cheap to get a huge bundle of 'em, but that's how it sneaks in and adds up. Getting any in-game is very sparse.

So far from what I can tell, the cooldown time for the basic beginning level areas are 30 min, and the tier two areas are 60. I can only guess what the next tier will be.

Turns out tier 3 is about 2 hours.