Monster Hunter Thread

Godot

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely picking it up as you could tell by my status. I personally prefer the Greatsword on my main character for MH3U. I also use dual blades a bit, though I've been finding that I really like the longsword on the new character I started with my friend. Looking forward to grouping with anyone on 4U.

(Bowguns) ;)

I've only played MH3U so far, but it's got me hooked on the series. I'd have to say the Zinogre is my favorite monster, closely followed by Gigginox. (Pretty hyped for the new and returning monsters though. I've still gotta play the older games sometime...) For anybody who hasn't tried Monster Hunter, it's basically a game that very few people will pick up and try, but I think that most who do will end up loving it. You have to stick with it for a while before it really hits you. In the beginning, my friend and I both felt that the controls were a bit clunky, and the game was meh. But after you reach the large monster hunts, get used to movement and the controls, and experience co-op, the whole game gets immensely better.

Well, after giving the demo a playthrough, I think I'll put some of my thoughts on it here.

Being somebody who has experience with the Monster Hunter series, I dove right into Experienced mode. I tried out the Insect Glaive on the Great Jaggi, and while it seems like an interesting weapon, I don't really think it fits my playstyle. I was really hoping for a greater amount of control and interaction with the Kinsect (Sort of like a pet in other games), though it seems that all you can do is send it out to gather extracts from the monsters. While that's useful in it's own way, I still don't think I really understand the weapon enough to appreciate it's worth. For now, it just feels like another melee weapon to me, and kind of a clunky one at that.

After I beat down the Great Jaggi with my Insect Glaive, I decided to test out the other new weapon class on the Tetsucabra, being the Charge Blade. The Charge Blade seems like an interesting and fun weapon from the short experience I had with it, and it's a weapon I could see myself using in the full game. I never really used the Switch Axe in MH3U, so I don't know how the charge blade compares in similarity, but in my experience it was an enjoyable and powerful weapon. You use the sword form to rack up hits and fill the phials before switching to axe form, in which you can release the energy from the phials in a devastating combo. The axe combo deals a ton of damage, and it seems to have a high chance of knocking the monster down. I still need to work on switching forms more fluently, but the charge blade is a weapon I think I'll definitely spend some more time on

Finally, I challenged the Gore Magala, picking the familiar long sword for what I assumed would be a difficult battle. My assumptions were not wrong, as the Gore Magala is tough, at least the first time you fight him. Upon sighting the Gore Magala for the first time, I was instantly amazed by his design. I have to say, it is one of the coolest monsters I have seen. I'm excited to see what his armor looks like. The fight was long and tough -- the Magala is strong and fast, packing an arsenal of ranged attacks -- but I managed to fell him in the end. It was a satisfying battle, as I came close to death a number of times. If it wasn't for the massive stock of potions supplied, I'm not sure that I would have beaten it on my first try. I blew through all my Mega Potions and First Aid Meds, starting into the regular Potions before it died.

The game looks great on the 3DS, though I sometimes felt that some of the colors were a bit too bright and saturated, mostly the yellows and pinks. 4U feels much smoother than 3U, as there are less stops in movement. When jumping down from high places, you can still stumble forward instantly, unlike 3U where you would stop until you regained your footing. The platforming elements introduced add an interesting touch to the battles, and while I'd like to see even more free-form platforming in the next game, I think they did well implementing it into this game. The monsters in the demo felt a bit too easy to me as a whole, though I expect there will be harder monsters in the game to fill that niche. Maybe I'm just too used to G-Rank from 3U. The Gore Megaira was the only monster where I actually felt that there was a chance I might die at some points, though it didn't end up happening once in any of the battles. As I said, I believe there will be harder battles in the game, so this isn't really an issue. It's likely I'll be complaining about some of them eventually... ;) All in all, the game seems very enjoyable, and I'm pumped for the full release.

I just played my first mission and I still don't get it.

Wtf is a phial, how do I fill it, and then how do I use it?

Anyways, I was the charge blade. Is there any way to run? And who can do jumping attacks? Why does the camera suck so much that I have to constantly control where it's pointing with the touch screen? And it sucks that once you start your character's basic combo, they can only go straight forward in whatever direction they're facing and they can't adjust left or right as they go along. Are all the weapons this slow? It was even slower in axe mode. Didn't there used to be something where you had to gather items and stuff from the things you killed?

Well, reading the starting mission info again, I think I figured out how to fill phials or whatever. Something with green and red glowing stuff.

Beat both beginner and intermediate monsters. Why does it seem like a giant waste of time to try to climb a cliff so you can drop down and do a jump attack and most likely miss? Most of the time the land is flat, making it impossible to do one. The cpu players don't know enough to lure under where you are, and the monster just leapt straight up and knocked me off the wall anyhow.

Idk. I feel like there are so many things that make it more limiting than it should. The item thing is gonna take some getting used to as well.

Definitely going to pick it up, i mostly dual wield but the charge blade looks so awsome ~3~ it would be pretty sweet to make teams though, i had trouble looking for people for alatreon on 3 because they kept leaving. QoQ Also has anyone seen the bundle they have with the new 3ds and MH4?

They annoyingly have two completely separate bundles. The Bundle with the new 3ds, and the one I am getting that comes with a Gore Mangalla figurine.

Damn... That MH4 3DS looks pretty sweet. Unfortunately, I don't really want to buy the new 3DS when I already own a 3DS and a Circle Pad Pro. The only thing that could change my mind is if some game I'm really interested in comes out exclusively for the new 3DS, due to its higher CPU.

I really wanted to get the one with the figurine but i was late on it TT^TT the 3ds that comes with the bundle looks pretty good to, the only thing i don't like is that the game is pre-installed. xOx" Also that xenoblade game that's going to come out on the 3ds is going to need the new ds i hear?

Edited by Kontana

I don't like the fact that it's pre-downloaded to the memory card either, since I'm going to pull out the default 4gb one and put in a much bigger one. I got's plenty of stuff to transfer from my old 3ds SD cards.

I'm gonna opt to get the straight black 3DS when it comes out and MAYBE get MH4U. Even after the demo, I'm still not in love with the game.

Xenoblade port?

Never played Xenoblade before... I've heard it's good though.

I'm gonna opt to get the straight black 3DS when it comes out and MAYBE get MH4U. Even after the demo, I'm still not in love with the game.

Like I said earlier, it's a series that takes some getting used to. I disliked a lot of the same things about it when I first started, but after a while I began to appreciate the game more and more.

• 2 weeks later...

Never played Xenoblade before... I've heard it's good though.

Like I said earlier, it's a series that takes some getting used to. I disliked a lot of the same things about it when I first started, but after a while I began to appreciate the game more and more.

I did, love it so far lol but hard to find people to play with D: they end up leaving after finishing a hunt QoQ

Edited by Kontana

So who picked up the game?

Shoot, I totally blanked that this was coming out. I'll have to pick it up sometime soon.

I did, love it so far lol but hard to find people to play with D: they end up leaving after finishing a hunt QoQ

That's what we're here for!~

(Bowguns) ;)

I've only played MH3U so far, but it's got me hooked on the series. I'd have to say the Zinogre is my favorite monster, closely followed by Gigginox. (Pretty hyped for the new and returning monsters though. I've still gotta play the older games sometime...)

The Zinogre is my favorite monster too! I plan to pick it up after buying Alpha Sapphire and Majora's Mask, (though I heard they changed Zora Link's swimming for the worse) however my brother already has it and he says its great, hopefully I can get the game before the Sonic cat armor event comes out in the U.S.A. I mainly use a long sword (lighting element) but if I can find a charge blade that turns into a great sword instead of an axe I'd like to try it.

Edited by The Swordsman

I have had quite.a few distractions keeping me from playing the game. But I am a decent ways into the game now. My hunter is finally recieving a bit of a unique personality and I am starting to sink my teeth into the meat of the game.