AI cheating

hubbleday23

Not so much cheating, but I do find it a bit of a pet peeve how advantaged in comparison to us they are sometimes. Like Gym 5 (badge 4)...

That jerkbag has 2 pokemon with leftovers and super powerful berries on another. Then he's got 2 hyper potions he is totally willing to spam to achieve his victory as well. I only have 2 hyper potions myself, and I certainly don't have access to that berry, or the leftovers. I sort of feel with their field advantages that give them quite a bit of strength to work with already, the level of itemized advantage also given is a bit crazy at times.

It makes for some tense, terrifying battles, but often it feels not like it's difficult, and more like it's in the realms of intense quantities of false difficulty. I would really love to see the AI improved at some point, because if they were more intelligient with what skills they use, and in what orders, the amount of item advantage given wouldn't be neccesary to shield them from their own stupidity.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that depends more on you as the player. The only reason I can say that is because of your stream last night. You were using something of a stall team, which means you weren't hitting hard enough in most cases to counteract their healing. If not for your Kricketune I doubt you would've made it as far as you did, as soon as you did. Whereas an aggressive play style, like the one I use, doesn't have a problem with the small heals and by the time they use the big heals it's too late (I actually try to force the AI to use there heals on their first Pokemon which usually isn't their ace) and I can already beat them.

Now the field effects are another story, especially in the early game where the players options for teams are limited. The field will almost certainly have their way with you (looking at you burning field!). Countering those can be a lot less easy unless you study the field effects (which I will never do). However in most cases (glaring at you burning field!!) it's far from impossible. Fights like Arceus are false difficulty in my opinion. But still beatable.

Gym battles are supposed to be hard, but not impossible. Even Noel, who had a field that could be easily broken and used against him was nerfed because his team was considered to exceed the point of difficulty this game wants. In fights like Solaris, you are supposed to lose, so the false difficulty is there just to amuze the player. By the time you reach Arceus you can have multiple Aces up your sleeve. Same with Mew2. It is not a walk in the park. It's not supposed to be.

I think that depends more on you as the player. The only reason I can say that is because of your stream last night. You were using something of a stall team, which means you weren't hitting hard enough in most cases to counteract their healing. If not for your Kricketune I doubt you would've made it as far as you did, as soon as you did. Whereas an aggressive play style, like the one I use, doesn't have a problem with the small heals and by the time they use the big heals it's too late (I actually try to force the AI to use there heals on their first Pokemon which usually isn't their ace) and I can already beat them.

Now the field effects are another story, especially in the early game where the players options for teams are limited. The field will almost certainly have their way with you (looking at you burning field!). Countering those can be a lot less easy unless you study the field effects (which I will never do). However in most cases (glaring at you burning field!!) it's far from impossible. Fights like Arceus are false difficulty in my opinion. But still beatable.

Jah, it's a stall team! I felt running a super agressive attack nuking team would have been a little too easy because of how unfunctional AI tends to be in pokemon games (spamming electric moves when I have volt absorb?). I'm not sure if you saw the grass gym, but I adore the burning field... I'm sure going to love going up against a gym that turns that one against me. I hope I have access to surf or another field destroyer by then, because if a Gym uses it as their field, they will surely be immune to it, thusforth Vulpix won't be soloing the gym while laughing. I'm totally looking forward to how this develops as I move on. I just think the game is overly punishing on certain play styles due to the vastly superior access to functional healing of the AI.

Cheers!

Jah, it's a stall team! I felt running a super agressive attack nuking team would have been a little too easy because of how unfunctional AI tends to be in pokemon games (spamming electric moves when I have volt absorb?). I'm not sure if you saw the grass gym, but I adore the burning field... I'm sure going to love going up against a gym that turns that one against me. I hope I have access to surf or another field destroyer by then, because if a Gym uses it as their field, they will surely be immune to it, thusforth Vulpix won't be soloing the gym while laughing. I'm totally looking forward to how this develops as I move on. I just think the game is overly punishing on certain play styles due to the vastly superior access to functional healing of the AI.

Cheers!

Good luck trying to destroy Charlotte's field because... Yeah I will let you find out xD

which gym leader is charlotte ? the fire gym leader isnt it ? using moves like rain dance or the water pledge will turn her superheated field into the rianbow field and turn her advantage against her

Edited by Dr. Zexal

which gym leader is charlotte ? the fire gym leader isnt it ? using moves like rain dance or the water pledge will turn her superheated field into the rianbow field and turn her advantage against her

Not really. That strategy used to work... but she doesn't lead with a Ninetales anymore - so the only way the field can be removed is via Blizzard or Glaciate (well until her Ninetales shows up).

Why are we beating a dead horse?

These kinds of things happen and they should be expected. Every enemy trainer past ~4 badges has to have custom movesets for their Pokemon. It's easy to forget that a Pokemon doesn't learn a certain coverage move when it learns a different but similar coverage move.

We're doing a service by pointing out these mistakes so that they will be fixed, but we're doing a disservice by using them as evidence that the game is cheating.

Edited by dondon151

• Administrators

I dont know why Ame dont use bulbapedia or other pokemon wiki for move set...you have there all moves by levels :D

I do. I'm just bad. In Typhlosion's case I was changing moves from removing her early-battle drought and like well we dont want solar beam anymore energy ball it is!!!111

These kinds of things happen and they should be expected. Every enemy trainer past ~4 badges has to have custom movesets for their Pokemon. It's easy to forget that a Pokemon doesn't learn a certain coverage move when it learns a different but similar coverage move.

We're doing a service by pointing out these mistakes so that they will be fixed, but we're doing a disservice by using them as evidence that the game is cheating.

Thank

I mean really if I'm going to accept anything as deliberate cheating it's PULSE forms and field effects because that's the stuff that's deliberately not canon

Charlotte was really easy for me. I had ninetales with drought and typhlosion with flash fire. My ninetales had quick claw so i had hit my own typhlosion with a fire move to increase its fire attack. So sun boost+stab+flashfire Boost+ field boost and when using eruption it also triggered the field somehow. Well everyone just died from eruption and I didn't get a single scratch.

Nice thought just noticed Gothitelle gets dark pulse on http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/gothitelle but not in reborn, also competive dosen't activate against intimidate, just a thought.

I also noticed that field effects and battle items have been addressed (which can be countered if you have save files from ep. 12 and below from dept store). But nobody has addressed, the issue of over lv pokemon used by the ai, which has made an appearance multiple times. Eg.

• Luna has lv 70 Umberoen when the player lv cap is 65
  • Charlotte has lv 74 Ninetails when the player lv cap is 70

I am sure there are more examples, but with the lv advantage, field advantage and item advantage, thats some insane difficulty. Especially for people ether having to restart or just starting from ep. 13 onwards for one reason, or another, because they cant get battle items other than the weak ones from mine rocks.

Nice thought just noticed Gothitelle gets dark pulse on http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/gothitelle but not in reborn, also competive dosen't activate against intimidate, just a thought.

I also noticed that field effects and battle items have been addressed (which can be countered if you have save files from ep. 12 and below from dept store). But nobody has addressed, the issue of over lv pokemon used by the ai, which has made an appearance multiple times. Eg.

• Luna has lv 70 Umberoen when the player lv cap is 65
  • Charlotte has lv 74 Ninetails when the player lv cap is 70

I am sure there are more examples, but with the lv advantage, field advantage and item advantage, thats some insane difficulty. Especially for people ether having to restart or just starting from ep. 13 onwards for one reason, or another, because they cant get battle items other than the weak ones from mine rocks.

The level advantage issue has been addressed previously. Personally, I don't mind this at all because by the time we face Luna, we are given a wide variety of Pokemon to use (including some very good ones) - so I don't think its that much of a big deal for them to have one overlevelled Pokemon.

...and I knew Gothitelle could learn Dark Pulse! I was wondering about that problem myself too.