Official 3DS Thread

Godot

I was scrolling through the forums and saw someone (Holy Knight) ask for game recommendations. And I was like "why is this not a thread?!?" So Ya... Doing something about that.

Starting with some of my personal recommendations;

I loved Resident Evil Revalations, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. I am also really looking forward to Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4.

Also pro tip! Please avoid talking about pokemon or smash bros here. Those games have their own threads

Not exactly a recommendation, but I was kind of interested in getting Icarus Rising a little while back. What's it like? Should I bother?

What all I've seen of the game, it looks really fun. What I've heard though is that it's not going to be easy to control if you're left handed.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

By far my favorite 3DS game. There's also the standard New Leaf that people should pick up if you have a million hours to kill.

If you like J-RPGs: (or more specifically the "Tales of"-Series

go pick up Tales of the Abbys!

It's glorious!

It has just the right mixture of story, humor, "darkness", war, character development and plot-twists!

and it has Mieu, the most adorable little talking magical bunny-thingie ever :P

TotA___Chibi_Luke___Mieu_COLOR_by__babyk

Edited by Cepheus

Not exactly a recommendation, but I was kind of interested in getting Icarus Rising a little while back. What's it like? Should I bother?

Kid Icarus - Uprising is among the higher quality 3DS games. It follows the previous story of the older Kid Icarus game but you don't need to have played the original to understand Uprising. They explain all of the references anyways. The game itself ranges from aerial combat and land based. The aerial combat is easy to control, a lot of fun, and you'll never be bored with it. It keeps you moving, thinking, but still being easy to adjust to. You move Pit with the circle pad and use the R button to shoot with a weapon varying from an array of different types. Claws, swords, clubs, bows, orbitars (actually called orbitars, not orbiters). Each weapon is unique in its own right. Land based combat takes a while to get used to. You move the screen with the stylus in a fully 3D environment coupled with the use of special divine powers that help in fights such as giant lasers or bombs, or powers that assist in secret areas such as a high jump. All weapons have both ranged shots and melee for up close. Your fighting will automatically swap between melee and ranged one you're in range. Of course, some weapons are better in one area over another. In each level, you also decide the difficulty before entering the field in a way of putting up gold to increase difficulty. Of course, the more you put up, the more you'll win/lose.

The aesthetics are amazing and filled with visual eye-candy. The artwork for the characters is great for both conversation portraits and in game. This is paired by absolutely hilarious dialogue involving references to common media, often breaking the 4th wall, and merry banter between Pit and Palutena, as well as the enemy or ally you happen to be with at the time.

Oh, and the PvP is fun if not broken. Everybody kind of massacres each other instantly but there are virtually no limits. You can use any weapon you've made as well as your divine powers. Ten mega lasers shooting across the map at once coupled with everyone being invisible? It's crazy.

Oh, and. Most of all. The music is awesome.

*Shoves copy of Bravely Default in everyone's faces*

PLAY THIS GAME.

I played it. Got bored. Kinda grindy, and that one pretentious dude was ticking me off. I seriously played just far enough to get out of the building and then was like... fuck it- turned it off. I played more of the demo than I did of the actual game. Chibi art style pisses me off, too.

That being said, the Chibi art style is probably one of the very few, if not only, bad things you could say about Curtain Call (FF theatrhythm). This game is absolutely filled with great music from all the main FF series games and this time they even tossed music from spinoff titles that I'd never even heard of. *Goes back to listening to the trailer song for FF14* Oh, and they added more videos from the games to play in the background while you play it, like Cloud's fight with Sephiroth when you play One Winged Angel (Advent Children version).

Kid Icarus - Uprising is among the higher quality 3DS games. It follows the previous story of the older Kid Icarus game but you don't need to have played the original to understand Uprising. They explain all of the references anyways. The game itself ranges from aerial combat and land based. The aerial combat is easy to control, a lot of fun, and you'll never be bored with it. It keeps you moving, thinking, but still being easy to adjust to. You move Pit with the circle pad and use the R button to shoot with a weapon varying from an array of different types. Claws, swords, clubs, bows, orbitars (actually called orbitars, not orbiters). Each weapon is unique in its own right. Land based combat takes a while to get used to. You move the screen with the stylus in a fully 3D environment coupled with the use of special divine powers that help in fights such as giant lasers or bombs, or powers that assist in secret areas such as a high jump. All weapons have both ranged shots and melee for up close. Your fighting will automatically swap between melee and ranged one you're in range. Of course, some weapons are better in one area over another. In each level, you also decide the difficulty before entering the field in a way of putting up gold to increase difficulty. Of course, the more you put up, the more you'll win/lose.

The aesthetics are amazing and filled with visual eye-candy. The artwork for the characters is great for both conversation portraits and in game. This is paired by absolutely hilarious dialogue involving references to common media, often breaking the 4th wall, and merry banter between Pit and Palutena, as well as the enemy or ally you happen to be with at the time.

Oh, and the PvP is fun if not broken. Everybody kind of massacres each other instantly but there are virtually no limits. You can use any weapon you've made as well as your divine powers. Ten mega lasers shooting across the map at once coupled with everyone being invisible? It's crazy.

Oh, and. Most of all. The music is awesome.

Get it, that's all I have to say (oops worng person to quote oh well) Edited by EXLink32

• 1 month later...

whoever is playing seems really bad. The black dude obviously has a lobbed, indirect attack and there plenty of times he could have attacked enemies with him and others but didn't. And I'm not liking the voice overs for Ike and Marth. #complain #grumble #letmeshowyouhowitsdonenoobs #mrstealyourgameexplainjob

DOOD is way better at platformers

Edit: Kotaku recently reported that in the Majora's Mask remake, the Song of Double Time can transport you to any future hour that you please. Not sure how to feel about this. Remember... This is a mobile game and people like me have lives. So in a way it is convenient

wanna learn more about the new Fire Emblem? Of course Game Xplain is able to point out all the details in the trailer we saw that I am pretty sure we all missed.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can finally post here since I am now in possession of a 3DS as of Tuesday. For now I only have Pokemon X and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, and I am loving them a lot. I want to get the Zelda re-makes but I am gonna wait till the hype (and the prices) go down a little.