[Outdated] Site/Forum Suggestions, Maintenance, and Discussion

Arkhi

Like Cowtao's thread, this serves as a location to post site or forum improvements.
Additionally, it can be used as a thread to post site bugs. (Mods/Staff, feel free to edit this to reflect what you'd like to add. Please cite by whom the edit was made and when)

Dates may be a bit wonky, with time zones & all, but that shouldn't matter a great deal.

Site & Forum Suggestions

-Concerning using the Forum Moderation notation at the bottom of some sub-forums. (Suggested by Arkhidon, 11/13/14)

A suggestion for the site is what I'm making, though it is more aimed towards Mods & Staff.

In the Roleplaying and Reborn City forums, in the lower right corner of the page is listed: This forum lead by: Names be Here. While many members of the community know, at the least, that Hukuna leads the Roleplaying forum, some may be unaware of who leads others. (I've been asked where the global moderators moderate)

-Implement Main Site Page's theme onto the Forums (Post #12, Suggested by A Happy Elf, 11/22/14)

-When quoting a post, the timestamp is from the original date of the post, though it may have been edited after the original post. (Post #68/69, Suggested by Ikaru/Arkhidon, 1/2/15) Ex:

The problem here is I edited this on 1/2/15, but the quote reads that I said this on 11/19/14. If possible, the quoting system could reflect the date the post was edited instead of the date the post was made.

SEE THIS POST FOR THE EXAMPLE

-Create a "lite" version of the site for mobile devices. (Post #80, Suggested by Eternal Nutcase [Ardent Composition], 1/20/15)

-Install an auto save feature into the Private Messages system like the Main Forums have (Post #103, Suggested by Surge/Ethic, 2/18/15)

-Do... Something about the pinned threads in the Grand Hall, such as unpinning the Item Additions or Showdown Billboard threads. (Suggested by Arkhidon, 2/22/15)

-Notify members that their newly-made Trainer Card will appear in their signature. There's too many duplicate trainer cards. (Post #127, Suggested by Arkhidon, 3/1/15)

-Include a link in the FAQ page to Jericho's Grand Hall FAQ. (Post #208, Suggested by Arkhidon, 3/14/15)

-Improve the Report a post page. (Post #231, Suggested by Arkhidon, 3/17/15)

While the Report page does show the thread containing the post in question, there is no confirmation which post is being reported. For that reason, if someone somehow makes a mistake and reports the wrong user, that could be annoying(?) towards the auth or cast a light on the one doing the reporting to be screwing around with the Report button, which puts them at risk of being warned. I suggest, if possible, including the post in the Report page so that confirmation can be made.

-Allow an "Add Transparency" (or Image Editor?) for profile pictures. (Post #255, Suggested by Murdoc, 3/29/15)

-Create particular designs for each sub-forum. (Post #273, Suggested by DestructiveSkitty, 4/7/15)

-Room intros now have a scroll bar because something (Post #292, Suggested by DestructiveSkitty, 4/27/15)

Site & Forum Bugs

- A bug concerning members being able to farm Rupees and Post Counts. (Added by Arkhidon, 11/19/14)

When a user comments in a sub-forum not in Etcetera, they obtain Rupees and an additional post count. However, they can delete their comment, removing evidence that they ever made a post, yet retaining their Rupees and post count. While a user can upvote the comment to see it on their profile, the reply cannot be directly accessed.

- When a thread is near the end of a page, posts can overlap, allowing 21 responses per page. (Added by Arkhidon, 11/19/14)

Example:

A thread has 19 total posts: 1 original post and 18 replies. When another member replies, taking that 19th reply (and 20th total post), the page doesn't refresh. Should the message "A new reply has been added" appear, along with an option to view that reply, be disregarded and the post made, the 20th reply (21st total post) appears on the page.

-When comments are made on statuses, then the "Hide Comments" tab is clicked, the comment count doesn't refresh immediately. (Added by Arkhidon, 12/13/14)

-Concerning post link redirecting. See Jericho's post. (Post # 74, Added by Jericho, 1/19/15)

-When purchasing a particular number of items, the quantity purchased is determined by the first input of the quantity desired. If that quantity is later changed, the change is NOT considered. View screenshots below. (Added by Arkhidon, 1/21/15)

i49RwKI.png

xXprDBG.png

m5liGR5.png

-When viewing the "Online Users" list, if the option to view members in Ascending/Descending order, the opposite is performed. If member names are sorted by "ascending", then the names start at A and descend down, while when sorted by "descending", the names start at Z and ascend up. (Added by Arkhidon, 1/26/15)

-Pressing Alt 0 while using the text editor (or after clicking on it, then pressing Alt 0) does not present help. [i never got around to posting this] (Added by Arkhidon, 2/18/15)

ZDqrcYD.png

- Sometimes, the site derps. I refreshed this, so that isn't the issue. (Added by Arkhidon, 3/4/15)

0U6KKnn.png

ybHquTk.png

-Statuses attempted to be made posted from a user's Profile Feed page are not posted. (Post #259, Added by Flux, 4/1/15)

-Banned users can be reported via posts they have made. (Added by Arkhidon, confirmed by Jericho, 4/4/15)

Previous/Implemented Suggestions

- Concerning Independent Writing outside of The Wasteland & Roleplaying. (Suggested by Hilda, 11/18/14)

-Add "Vote This Post Down" (Post #2, Suggested by Gaunt, 11/21/14) Ruled as detrimental to the community.

-Increase member awareness of Forum Rules (Post # 6, Suggested by Tacos, 11/21/14)

-Add a Sports Sub-forum (Post #8, Suggested by Jericho, 11/21/14)

-Reposition the Community Rules...somewhere (Post #35, Suggested by Arkhidon, 12/9/14)

-Remove the PZA Alliance Profile tags (Post #41, Suggested by Arkhidon, 12/12/14)

-"remove ugly trainer cards" -Jelly 2014 (Post #42)

-The member title "Channeler" is misspelled (Suggested by dondon151, 1/2/15)

- Pin the Reborn for Macs thread on the sidebar. Tacos says the guide is updated with each release. This is an outstanding source to include on the Game Download page. (Post #84, Suggested by Tacos&Flowers, 1/27/15)

-Increase the inbox capacity of Staff from 50 to 200 (or more). (Post #130, Suggested by Maelstrom, 3/1/15)

- Bring back the "Birthdays" tab on the side of the Community Index. (Suggested by probably everyone at some point, idk, MM/DD/Forever)

-Edit Nickaboo's Pokemon Location Guide to link to the V2, created by ShatteredSkys. (Post #252, Suggested by Qaaz, 3/29/15)

Edited by Arkhidon

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- A bug concerning members being able to farm Rupees and Post Counts. (Added by Arkhidon, 11/19/14)

When a user comments in a sub-forum not in Etcetera, they obtain Rupees and an additional post count. However, they can delete their comment, removing evidence that they ever made a post, yet retaining their Rupees and post count. While a user can upvote the comment to see it on their profile, the reply cannot be directly accessed.

This would only be doable by ace members and higher right?

Can i suggest something? We all know there is a "vote this post up" button so can we add a "vote this post down" button? I can't count enough how many times i wanted to vote down a post and couldn't

As much I as -completely- understand the feel, there doesn't seem to be any logical reasoning to down-vote a post other than you being vocal about your dislike for it, and we don't want to paint Reborn as "that" kind of community.

You could argue that down-voting posts could be used like "flags", except you already have the ability to report posts, which accomplishes the same goal.

....Although, you do bring up the excellent point of down-voting posts that should "not" be getting "any" reputation points and yet still are, except I don't exactly understand the importance of those other than to build up rapport- and who's right it is it to say our own opinions are equivalent to that of the community either way? I feel like a down-vote button would make things hairier than any benefit it might possibly have.

A suggestion for the site is what I'm making, though it is more aimed towards Mods & Staff.

In the Roleplaying and Reborn City forums, in the lower right corner of the page is listed: This forum lead by: Names be Here. While many members of the community know, at the least, that Hukuna leads the Roleplaying forum, some may be unaware of who leads others. (I've been asked where the global moderators moderate)

Tbh, the forum moderators generally moderate all forums since we are Global. It is a good suggestion as some work in specific forums like Kamina and Murdoc so I could bring this up to Ame. See what she thinks.

• Administrators

Just as a heads up I do read all of this stuff even if I don't directly respond to it.
Also there are a lot of things with how the forum works that are a part of the software and I currently don't have the skill/time to change i.e the post delete thing

Stuff like the forum rules is simple to put on the left- Ika, do you mind? I made a topic for it recently anyhow.

About voting stuff down, that is a potential feature, but I have it disabled, because I don't think it would do much but inspire negativity.

About voting stuff down, that is a potential feature, but I have it disabled, because I don't think it would do much but inspire negativity.

But i feed on negativity! Sigh no one likes my idea but that's ok i understand all the "complications" involved, just thought that the "+" side would overcome the "negative effect" but now that i think about it there really isn't a "+" in this thing just a little of "satisfaction/relief"

• Support Squad

A nice thing would be to implement the themes on the main website onto the forums. I adore those themes, and it just makes the place look prettier. As I write this though, I have a niggling feeling that someone said the forums would get a redesigning, but I can't remember.

• Administrators

The site, not the forums.

But um, I don't know if there would be much point since the site themes only change the accent color + banners. The forum banner is episode-specific now, and the forum skin can be any accent colour you want.

Hmm, I'm kind of going to be against the vote down button. Does it really serve a constructive purpose? Especially in places like the Ranting thread or the Political Soap Box to name a few, it just adds fuel to the fire, even in anonymity. I looks at the other forum color skins, but the default one is easiest on the eyes.

• Administrators

Stuff like the forum rules is simple to put on the left- Ika, do you mind? I made a topic for it recently anyhow.

the deed is done m'lady, but is the bold too much?

I also am against the vote down button. There are many varying opinions, and many of them are shown in threads filled with controversy. It feels like it would be more offensive than constructive. A troll could probably just go down, down-voting every post and the rep that people worked hard for is down the drain. Plus, the Reborn community is more close-knit than things like the YouTube comment section. People can dislike other posts without feeling bad or knowing the repercussions because they have no connections to them. I just feel like the negativity to come from it is more harmful than well.

Edited the OP to reflect suggestions. In regards to the downvote feature, I think a Poll would serve a better purpose (if it fits to the forum topic). Additionally, 1-5 Star ratings on a member's profile can give good insight that reflects a member's reputation. Honestly, Upvotes are more often than not used to commend someone for being humorous or acknowledging a new Mews & Announcements Post.

• Administrators

It doesn't make much sense in the member info tab. I'd suggest placing it lower.

I thought about that, but it doesn't really fit in the game section and it's not quite "miscellaneous" either so I just stuck it above everything else

I thought about that, but it doesn't really fit in the game section and it's not quite "miscellaneous" either so I just stuck it above everything else

I'd just give it its own divider down there. In a decent spot, but not an off-putting one.