Gym Leader Battle Walkthrough

Antares

So I haven't noticed anyone making a topic for defeating every single Gym Leader, so today I'm gonna explain how to defeat the official Gym Leaders, in other words, the Leaders who give badges. Corey, Kiki, and Cal don't count for this list. I am currently replaying through the game and just wanted to post this. As of when I posted this, I am at the 6th gym now.

Gym 1 (Julia): Julia shouldn't have given me so much of a problem since her entire line-up is pretty weak compared to everyone else. The easiest way to beat Julia is to grind all of your party to level 20 since there are no valid ground Pokemon, provided your starter was not a Marshtomp. One niche Pokemon you could use is Kricketune since you recieve Kricketot early and it evolves at level 10. You can just sweep her with the Kricketune, except watch out for her Emolga against Kricketune.

Gym 2 (Florina): Florina uses Grass types and if you chose Torchic as your starter, you'll have no problem smashing at least half of her party. The Kricketune you used to defeat Julia will work wonders here, and you could sweep her party with the Kricketune using Fury Cutter, and Struggle Bug for support. If you dropped it, a Hariyama and Meowstic will work here, or another Bug type. Watch out for her Cradily, and the sandstorms.

Gym 3 (Shelly): Any application for Florina can be mimicked here, except Shelly uses Bug types, and she is the first double-battle leader. Rock-types such as Graveler will work here, or a Flying-type, or any Fire starter. Her Yanmega will become a pain if you can't dispose of it quickly.

Gym 4 (Shade): Shade uses Ghosts and there's no way you can beat him through the Ghost typing alone, unless you go to the Beryl Cemetary and get a Ghost-type. You have to destroy him with the sub-typings. Gengar will fall to a powerful strike, such as Meowstic Shadow Ball or Hariyama Knock Off. Bring a specially defensive Pokemon.

Gym 5 (Aya): Aya uses Poison, and she is the next double battle leader. Psychic types such as Meowstic and Gothitelle will work against her, and you can destroy her sub-typings with Ice for the most part. If you get a fast Ground type and get her Tentacruel and Muk out of the way, you can wreck her team with Earthquake.

Gym 6 (Serra): Serra is an Ice-type master and only a few Pokemon will be a pain. If her Cloyster opens up with a Shell Smash, you could pretty much kiss your win goodbye, since it also holds a Focus Sash. Her team is a mish-mash of tanky and fast such as Avalugg and Abomasnow. Watch out for Avalugg's Sturdy and hitting it with physical attacks. If you have a Fire-type or something with Will-O-Wisp and a Fighting type to compliment the Fire type, this battle should be open and shut.

Gym 7-11: Need to re-evaluate as I continue the game.

Edited by Antares

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 word, Escavalier

Escavalier wrecks everything. And that's precisely why he's my ace.

Additionally, Shedinja (and Ninjask) needs some love. Surprisingly, some leaders let you set up Double Team/Swords Dance with which to sweep them.

Arbok is a viable choice in every major battle up until Kiki. The combination of Stockpile, Glare and Acid Spray available to it makes it really good for blasting even the most stubborn opponets. Make sure you snag a Black Sludge from a wild Turbish for maximum effectiveness.

Additionally, Shedinja (and Ninjask) needs some love. Surprisingly, some leaders let you set up Double Team/Swords Dance with which to sweep them.

Shedinja works wonders on most gyms.

Gym 4 (Shade): Shade uses Ghosts and there's no way you can beat him through the Ghost typing alone, unless you go to the Beryl Cemetary and get a Ghost-type. You have to destroy him with the sub-typings. Gengar will fall to a powerful strike, such as Meowstic Shadow Ball or Hariyama Knock Off. Bring a specially defensive Pokemon.

Also, I'd like to point out a little fact here. You see, it is possible to defeat Shade through Ghost- typing alone. The solution if Pyroar, who you can get through a trade for Bibarel (replaces the Abra). It has Normal/Fire typing and the only move Shade has to counter this beast is Focus Blast, which is notorious for missing. It gets several super useful moves, including Crunch which sweeps, Flamethrower for everything not named Chandalure, and Nobel Roar to debuff every attack or special attack Shade has. Also learns Work Up, which you can use to set up on Chandalure, then Crunch everything to death. It can also have Moxie, which obviously helps a ton with solo sweeping.

Radomus gets reKt by Drapion. Just set up 2 Hone Claws or 1 Swords Dance (bred from Ninjask in E12 or earlier) and go to town on him. Or just give it a Scope Lens, Night Slash and Sniper as it's ability. Or both. If Drapion keeps Bug Bite, it can do similarly well against Luna too.

Cofagrigus is also an excellent counter to both Kiki and Noel.

PS: OP, you forgot to list Kiki.

I'm currently working on an in-depth guide to all of the gym leaders/boss battles as well. I've done up to Kiki thus far. I'm hoping to release it next week sometime.

I will finish this topic in like 2 weeks because I just got Super Smash for the 3DS and I'm EV training my current party. 6th gym will be up by Tuesday.

This is Sheep's patented guide for how to beat Charlotte.

I've got a neat suggestion for you. There are 3 pokemon that we are given in close proximity to where you are that when working in tandem can destroy Charlotte. You're gonna want a Mienshao, a Bronzong, and a Rhydon. Make sure the Bronzong has heatproof, that way it should be able to take one flamethrower from Charlotte's Ninetails. Teach Bronzong the trick room TM you got from Radomus, and lead with it and Mienshao. Fake out the Typhlosion turn one, and set up trick room. Then when one of your guys dies next turn send out Rhydon and trick room earthquake/stone edge your way through her whole team.

Any tip on Charlotte's gym battle?

Set up Rain Dance as soon as possible.

Here's what I did: Send out two Pokemon - one with Rain Dance, and one with a type disadvantage against Charlotte. Charlotte's two Pokemon will most likely target your Pokemon with the disadvantage - so you can choose to sacrifice that Pokemon or switch it out for a better Pokemon (e.g I sent out Chesnaught first - then switched him out for Flash Fire Houndoom. Both of Charlotte's Pokemon attacked me with Flamethrower - which got me an extra boost and my Gardevoir was carefree as it set up Rain Dance without a worry)

PS: OP, you forgot to list Kiki.

Corey, Kiki, and Cal don't count for this list.

Although you should perhaps list Corey and Kiki at least, since the implication is that you are going to get a badge from them, and they are still technically Gym Leaders at the point you fight them. Never mind the fact that Corey's field makes him require a specific strategy, too. When Kiki gets one, it'll probably be a similar case.

As far as Luna is concerned, go with a Machamp, a Durant and a Skuntank.

Bisharp and Tyranitar(with unnerve) are both X4 weak to fighting, Malamar is X4 weak to bug, Honchkrow cannot hurt Durant (especially if he uses iron defense), Umbreon and Sableye need to be toxiced to be done for sure, as they rely on 75% heal from moonlight and boosted dark pulse. You can always get a Scrafty, but I prefer full-tank skuntank, as it can heal from the black sludge you get from wild Trubbish, can toxic and decrease their special defense with acid spray. Then you switch to a Swoobat (weak defense, huge speed), which makes Umbreon/Sableye decide to attack, and hit first their already low defenses and kill.

As far as Luna is concerned, go with a Machamp, a Durant and a Skuntank.

Bisharp and Tyranitar(with unnerve) are both X4 weak to fighting, Malamar is X4 weak to bug, Honchkrow cannot hurt Durant (especially if he uses iron defense), Umbreon and Sableye need to be toxiced to be done for sure, as they rely on 75% heal from moonlight and boosted dark pulse. You can always get a Scrafty, but I prefer full-tank skuntank, as it can heal from the black sludge you get from wild Trubbish, can toxic and decrease their special defense with acid spray. Then you switch to a Swoobat (weak defense, huge speed), which makes Umbreon/Sableye decide to attack, and hit first their already low defenses and kill.

You could do this, or you could just 6-0 her with a Heracross.