What anime trend do you love and hate the most?

MotherGlitcher

Personally, I dislike the Dragonball series and I think they're over rated. The whole concept of super sayan (Sorry if I miss spelled it) a little, meh. And the Dragon balls just seemed too simple to acquire seeing as in the first dragon ball before Z they had a tracking device the literally found all the dragon balls. If they were that simple to acquire then the entire world would be over run with overpowered people by that green dragon. These seem like minor points but it really rubs me the wrong way to where I didn't really enjoy watching it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I dislike the Dragonball series and I think they're over rated. The whole concept of super sayan (Sorry if I miss spelled it) a little, meh. And the Dragon balls just seemed too simple to acquire seeing as in the first dragon ball before Z they had a tracking device the literally found all the dragon balls. If they were that simple to acquire then the entire world would be over run with overpowered people by that green dragon. These seem like minor points but it really rubs me the wrong way to where I didn't really enjoy watching it.

Exactly, there's an incredibly amount of overhype for it that I just can't understand. Far too complicated for my own brain to comprehend though, so maybe if I could figure out what was happening it would seem good to me.

I do love when an anime takes culture, history, or mythology of some sort from another place other than America to use for the story. Like for example in Durarara!, a rather impactful character is a Dullahan. A dullahan is a "fairy" of sort from Irish culture that is said to ride a black horse and carrying its severed head with it. To see that Japanese and American culture is not the only relevant thing in an anime is very makes me happy as it brings light to interesting parts of other cultures. On a similarly related note, in Attack on Titan, if you actually dive into the character heritage and history, a conclusion can be drawn about the area in which the story takes place and the nationality of the characters. If I remember correctly, the story takes place in a merge between what is now French and Germany. Most of the citizens are German, and accepted those from around the world fleeing from the Titan threat while building the walls. This is why Mikasa is considered one of the few Asians left inside the walls. Levi I believe is French, Jaegers are German, Armin's English...? You get my point, differing cultures is a big part of an anime to me.

We aren't friends anymore. :mellow:

• Support Squad

@Tacos, I don't think Armin is English, definitely sounds like a European name though.

A trend I love is when a show makes you let down your guard with comedy and fun, then slams a death in your face that signals the feel train.

I'm not always a huge fan of that; changing the genre too quickly can VASTLY ruin or distort the experience I'm looking for in the anime. I tend to like a more slow, yet storm-building transition that tells you to prepare for what's going to happen. Sakurasou's a pretty good example of an anime that managed to balance it's genre contrasts.

@Tacos, I don't think Armin is English, definitely sounds like a European name though.

A trend I love is when a show makes you let down your guard with comedy and fun, then slams a death in your face that signals the feel train.

TTGL?

That's because in Dragon Ball Z, the dragon balls themselves have merely reverted into a plot device used to give people a reason to fight and steady fallback for bringing dead people back to life. And trust me, DBZ is all about the fights.

This contrasts greatly with the original Dragon Ball series in which Goku is young and not nearly as powerful as he at the very start of DBZ. Dragon Ball was all about their adventures while looking for the dragon balls. They've always had a dragon radar, but by no means have they always had the ability to fly and get places super fast. Dragon Ball has an entirely different flavor to it than DBZ and it gradually changes to be more focused on fighting and less on adventures as the World Martial Arts tournament is introduced, and so on and so forth.