What anime trend do you love and hate the most?

MotherGlitcher

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How disappointing for a fan base to exist for such a ludicrous and detrimental anime/manga(FT), more so since it's not a small fan base, and one with mostly sub par arguments if not merits for its existence, needless to say, the come back mostly seem to be subjective. Am I being to bias here?

p.s. sucks that OP manga is on break this week, at least Naruto is almost over lol and Bleach is still just dishing out weird abilities one after another...

• 2 weeks later...

Power Creep is nasty for Anime in my opinion, but I noticed you mentioned Log Horizon and it's use of concepts taken for granted. One of my friends also mentioned Log Horizon, so I suppose I should probably give it a watch now, haha.

As for something I like as an Anime trend, it's very enjoyable to see the other characters besides the MC actually accomplish things. That, and when the MC actually needs to learn from mistakes and work as a team with the other characters to overcome obstacles. It's nice to see a show where the MC doesn't auto-solve the plot, haha.

I honestly can't bother to watch things like the Big Three and FT nowadays purely because of the shonen embodiments they have when it comes to action; power creep, Bill Nye Deus Ex Machina levels of "I have an idea", weapons and strategies they have that come literally out of nowhere with no satisfaction to their execution, etc. When it comes to action, I love it most when it's fluid and keeps you on edge every second (hello ufotable works and DtB), with strategy and execution that seems sensical, yet unrealistic; something that I don't have to shut off my mind to enjoy. It may be a bit of a stretching demand, but I honestly feel like the more writers rely on these tropes, the less punch the fighting has as a result.

To note a recent example that's good; Akame ga Kill actually does a lot of it's action rather nicely; the elements I've mentioned above do appear and feel rather offsetting, but at least there's some reason and excitement to it, especially with the death-filled nature of the show making you legitimately worry whether or not your side will win.

I honestly don't understand why some (actually by some I mean a lot) of animes go with bunch of crazy power ups, or God mode, or fucking nakama powers. And ESPECIALLY nakama powers, god damn it's fucking disgusting (no need to mention FT now do I?). I took those as just the writers being lazy and aren't capable enough to write some thoughtful stuff. The big 3 suffers from this, with the exception of One Piece, as I believe I only recall that Luffy won against Lucci with nakama powers, aside from that One Piece is the best among the 3. Bleach right now is jarbled, and incoherent, and I honestly don't know what the hell happened in the past 20 chapters. Naruto ended, not bad, not great.

Philosophical and strategic anime, when executed well, are awesome. Some examples include Death Note, Code Geass, and Psycho Pass.

And then there's Ufotable, with their seemingly unlimited budget, movie-quality, CryEngine level animation talent. Nothing not to love Ufotable right now

The latter part of AOT has much more human part compare to titan part as of the manga now, so if you enjoy the human aspect of AOT than you will probably like latter seasons of AOT.

SAO, what can I say, it has too much of what I dislike, and that includes first half of the season, the design, the atmosphere, the character... just doesn't have the kind of vibe I like, instead it's much closer to the standards of the already saturated market. When it first came out, I started watching it and after getting a decent premise of the plot, .Hack//Sign came to my mind and I was anticipating what an anime produce a dozen years later with a similar trap in a game with real death and all that would be like. But, damn, they are like the opposite thing, the atmosphere and all. Note, I do know they took a different approach and have different emphasis, perhaps it's just my bias showing up again...

Naruto's manga has ended recently, here there's that for you. OP's manga is still pretty kick ass, albeit a rather long and slow current arc, the story telling is still strong, the anime on the other hand is still have its short episodes and sometimes doing scenes differently(and poorly) than the manga. Also SJ have nothing to do with the anime, they just publish the mangas created by someone else, or am I getting this all wrong?

Loved Attack on Titan when it came out. Wish they made a season 2 already like SAO did (Sword Art Online).

Hate Naruto and One Piece. They've dragged on for WAY too long. Surprised Shonen Jump is still able to make relatively fresh material.

Attack on Titan season 2 was announced but it's still in pre-production, something to be excited about, as I haven't had shivers of excitement since DBZ when I watched season 1. And your username has to do with One Piece too lol and you say you hate it? (or maybe you just like Ace, I <3 Ace too so it's all good).

Regarding about SAO, and btw this is another thing that makes me hate an anime: the pacing. SAO1 pacing was ridiculous, even though I didn't read the light novel, I could totally tell that the makers decided to skip a ton of shit. And then there's the whole part with Kirito and Asuna together and their lovey-dovey whatever. It's utterly stupid and pointless imho...

Shounen Jump publishes manga. Different authors write their manga. Thought it was obvious lol

I just thought about this one sort of because of fate. (No I haven't watch most of it, but it's still supposed to be good from all of you guys saying so)

When you know the ultimate goal from the start and you know more or less what is being built up to the entire time. I prefer more of the unknown ending, not sure what to expect, it could be anything. Kind of like the journey is all meaningless because no matter what happens, you'll still reach the same destination, regardless of what path you take. All be it, it makes sense with a series called 'fate/ ' though.

• 2 weeks later...

SAO1 pacing was ridiculous, even though I didn't read the light novel, I could totally tell that the makers decided to skip a ton of shit.

This. So true. I wanted to see so much more of the SAO world, but they blew through it all in 15 episodes (If I remember that number right.)

And then there's the whole part with Kirito and Asuna together and their lovey-dovey whatever. It's utterly stupid and pointless imho...

I actually liked that part... QQ

Mary Sue male leads.

Please throw them all in a pit, set them on fire, drop a boulder on the ashes, set them on fire again, then nuke that.

One does not simply make an action adventure fighter anime revolving around someone who is average or less at fighting. Only a few shows have done that with any amount of success. I suppose more extreme and imbalanced characters can make for a more entertaining story with a wider variety of colorful characters... but then I look at one piece and how much that makes me hate that show. I don't really like characters that have some ridiculous, predictable, easily fixable (for any sane person) character flaws either. Like the overly anti-social people who refuse to talk to or work with anybody for no good reason, etc (go die Sasuke, you moody little shit).

From Mael

It probably would have helped if they had more defined parameters as far as moves, abilities, etc. They just leave most of that vague, and support spells and crap just kinda pop out of thin air when the story remembers that it's an rpg mmo and it would have that kinda shit in it. Which reminds me, I have a similar gripe in that regards to Harry Potter universe. It's hard to make a person seem clever or amazing when you have no idea what kind of constraints and limitations they're actually dealing with

So much this.

• Support Squad

Kenichis strongest disciple, hajime no ippo. Those are the two I can think of where the main character isn't immediately OP. Then again, there are some character flaws that could be fixed, but it's better than nothing.

One does not simply make an action adventure fighter anime revolving around someone who is average or less at fighting. Only a few shows have done that with any amount of success. I suppose more extreme and imbalanced characters can make for a more entertaining story with a wider variety of colorful characters... but then I look at one piece and how much that makes me hate that show. I don't really like characters that have some ridiculous, predictable, easily fixable (for any sane person) character flaws either. Like the overly anti-social people who refuse to talk to or work with anybody for no good reason, etc (go die Sasuke, you moody little shit).

You can be extremely competent without being a Sue. There's a huge difference.

I´m a bit annoyed by shows that have the stereotypical male anime lead:

The young, but good looking male lead with a lot of hunger who makes friends quickly and is always nice,

unleass food is involved, because he eats everything. Oh, and he doesn´t have parents, because they aren´t there or they died.

He mostly does the right thing, is completely innocent, curagious and gets angry at every thing that is just moraly wrong and always tries to change it with his super amazing willpower/power of friendship ect.

Oh, and he isn´t the strongest, but at the end of the series, he eventually is, because protagonist is stronger.

He also has different formes or some kind of hidden-power he discovered after he was angry or after some training (power-leveling) he did off-screen.

He´s also always cheery, sometimes to a point where it annoys me ^^

They as a character also have not much depht in them and tend to be a bit less intelligent than their cold,

tough, anti-hero counterpart with a troubled past (who is either emo or someone who gets angry quickly, but he´s still smarter than the hero).

...That´s what I´m annoyed at ^^

...Pretty much this.

I´m happy Naruto is over. Hopefully the fans will calm down about this Anime soon -__-

If a character is very anti-social, there should be a good reason behind this. Like seeing some really fucked up shit that makes even the most hardcore guy piss his pants, going through that and watching the villain, who used to be your best buddy, doing horrible, sexual things to your loved one.

Then I´d understand why a character doesn´t want to talk and is constantly pissed off, because he´s freaking traumatized and mentally scarred.

And I don´t like it that much when a character is physically strong, but doesn´t look that way. If one can knock out a big guy in a few hits, he should at least look a little like that. And someone who swings around a sword often should also look like that. Hell, the ones that constantly fight and train would look a little like Goku or at least like Guts from Berserk by now. You know, some muscles if you swing that iron around ^^

Yeah, yeah, I know. It´s an anime and protagonist is supposed to be pretteyyy, I get it ;P

Now, is there any trend I like? Well, I rarely follow any trend, so I dunno. I just say what I like:

I like it things get explained, but in a way that doesn´t seem like total bullshit to me. The story and the characters should have some kind of depht in them, they should feel like actual people and you want to like them, you want them to be real, because they´re realistic and likeable in their own way. While you root for the protagonist, you do understand the villain and sometimes you look at the protagonist and think: "Under normal circumstances I´d think: What the hell are you thinking, you damn jerk? But I know why you´re a jerk..." and you hate the villain, but maybe also feel a bit sorry for him. A story where you have mixed feelings towards some characters, because you never know if you should think "What the hell?" or "Damn, alright. I understand. Go on...".

I love stories where even the side-character, who acts like the biggest asshat of them all, is understandable sooner or later, and you like him, even though he´s been that big asshat. A story where the protagonist is powerful and it´s explained, because the story tells how exactly he became this strong.

And then there is another level of power he´ll never reach, because that´s actually impossible in his world. He can fight on his own, he is the kind who does, because he´s a lone wolf. But he needs to learn what it is to be human, to be truly alive, something someone else failed at. A story where the character undergo little by little a change, for better or worse, where even the greatest coward will do the exact thing even you wouldn´t have the balls to do, even though it´s a simple thing. But he does it nonetheless, because he has his reasons, which are understandable and relatable. I love stories that explain a lot of things, but don´t spoon-feed you all the time, you gotta think about the story sometimes in order to fully understand a character and the way they think. And as soon as the character has this minute, this one minute to calm down, you´re happy for him ^^

Well...

I love good anime and manga with depht in their story and relatable characters, like Berserk ;)

Maybe not really a trend, what I said, but it doesn´t matter what kind of story or genre.

Now, the only thing where this is not the case is a comedy. There I won´t care that much about the plot, because I´ll be busy laughing my ass off ^_____^

Or if I watch something because it´s something where I turn off my brains and just... have fun while watching (For example Gurren Lagann. I don´t think I´ll even try to think about anything here. I´ll just point my finger up and scream: THIS DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS! Because the show is the motivational story Naruto could never be. The story ain´t deep at all, the characters are simple enough and Yoko has tits. But it´s all about never givingä-up and the show is just doing it right by making it stupid, but at the same time getting it over in a good way ^^)

If I watch something for the plot that is supposed to be great, it better has a great plot ^-^

...Well, maybe I could put it this way: It´s important how it´s done and what the mangaka wanted to achieve, which you can see in the way the story is going. And in my eyes some are either wasting potential or just not that good in terms of writing the characters, because they end up being stereotypes.

giphy.gif

Well, I´m a baka anyway, so maybe everyone will disagree with me ^^

Those were just some thoughts I quickly wrote down here ^^

Edited by UnprofessionalAmateur

I´m a bit annoyed by shows that have the stereotypical male anime lead:

The young, but good looking male lead with a lot of hunger who makes friends quickly and is always nice,

unleass food is involved, because he eats everything. Oh, and he doesn´t have parents, because they aren´t there or they died.

He mostly does the right thing, is completely innocent, curagious and gets angry at every thing that is just moraly wrong and always tries to change it with his super amazing willpower/power of friendship ect.

Oh, and he isn´t the strongest, but at the end of the series, he eventually is, because protagonist is stronger.

He also has different formes or some kind of hidden-power he discovered after he was angry or after some training (power-leveling) he did off-screen.

He´s also always cheery, sometimes to a point where it annoys me ^^

They as a character also have not much depht in them and tend to be a bit less intelligent than their cold,

tough, anti-hero counterpart with a troubled past (who is either emo or someone who gets angry quickly, but he´s still smarter than the hero).

Did someone say Natsu Dragneel? It sounds like the spitting image of him. These types of characters are annoying and could very much become quite uninteresting if it wasn't for the entertaining side characters to back them up. Speaking of Fairy Tail I personally think Natsu is the least developed character. (Erza is by far one of the most interesting). Though sometimes the characters in that show only have one rememberable personality trait, but still agreed those perfect young male protagonists are annoying

Edited by Leico

Did someone say Natsu Dragneel? It sounds like the spitting image of him. These types of characters are annoying and could very much become quite uninteresting if it wasn't for the entertaining side characters to back them up. Speaking of Fairy Tail I personally think Natsu is the least developed character. (Erza is by far one of the most interesting). Though sometimes the characters in that show only have one rememberable personality trait, but still agreed those perfect young male protagonists are annoying

Well, I was actually referring to some shounen protagonists that popped up in my head ^^ Monkey D Luffy, Naruto, Goku, Natsu...

When DBZ was still new, this type might´ve been a bit new, since this might´ve been the first anime many watched, but now this stereotype is used a tad bit too often. At least cut down on this "I can transform"/"I got multiple super forms I can pull outta my ass when this and that happens" stuff. Maybe I´m just not one who likes most shounen-anime, but they could think of something else.

What I also hate are fights that stretch out for 10 episodes or something. I tend to get bored by then if the villain pulls another form outta his magic hat. (Most notorious example being Freeza, but since DBZ looked like it was supposed to end there (It would´ve made sense story-wise) I´m not gonna beat the dead horse about his transformations...)

If this transforming-stuff is good or not is something everyone has his own opinion of, but I think it depends on how well its done. And most of the time it´s not done well or pretty much an "Ah, of course he does"-Moment even though I´m supposed to be emotionally invested. But instead I tend to think: "Alright, another transformation and I´m listening to some bullshit explanation about his training/emotional level (And there I think "Dude, if you´re that emotional: Get help")."

But as I said, sometimes it´s good. Like Ryuko from Kill La Kill xD

11231278976_999ce62407_b.jpg

I mean... WOW. That outfit looks like a young, perverted boy with scissors and only scissors designed it.

Probably as skimpy as every outfit in every MMORPG ever. Well... if she was wearing underwear, she might show less skin than with this. I mean damn... No surprise people watch it ^^

It´s all about the plot (Nah, in this time comedy, because this show is hilarious,

because it pokes fun at some anime stereotypes :D)

I´m even afraid of showing it, because that might be too sexually explicit and I dun wanna have someone b angry at me ^^

Edited by UnprofessionalAmateur

A character be physically strong, but not look it. Because in reality, physical conditioning and strength have visible indicators. So yeah, I totally agree with you there. Sanosuke and Kenshin himself kind of piss me off in this way, from Rurouni Kenshin. So do Cloud and Sephiroth from FF7. You skinny bastards don't actually have muscles and need to eat so I call BS on this whole deal! Pretty sure this is a kind of a culturally based thing so that the skinny majority of the japanese audience can relate that much more to the main character. Pretty sure Godot and I mentioned Ryu's height and weight... and how I would actually be way above him in both height and weight. Puny mortal Ryu. pfft.

And yeah, the anime where the main male protagonist is useless except that he somehow always stands up in moral situations and somehow has some kind of special power only when he's under extreme pressure to use it is annoying AF. AKA, gohan in the cell saga. AKA most main characters in harem anime. They try to give him a legitimate redeeming quality via bloodline trait that is OP and go half-assed and try to make him seem deserving of it because of his innocent, morally righteous character. yeah right. pls.

I am the same height and weight as Kanji from persona. Fight me scrubs!

Also pick a pokemon, most are small as fuck. They live up to the name "pocket monster ".

• Support Squad

I am an average height, weedy kid with Athsma. I'll kick yo ass six ways to sunday!

As for the actual topic, when a show just doesn't carry on because it didn't get enough pull from Japan. Western/European people matter as well. (Yeah, i'm looking at you, deadman wonderland. You would have been baller as fuck as a full length anime)

• Support Squad

You don't have to. Light a match and he will suffocate on the ensuing smoke.

#winning

pfffft, my town is full of smokers, and thus I have a resistance to smoke. Who said passive smoking never had benefits

But elf. This is a thread of anime trends. According to the laws of anime, you could take on both Mael and I simiutaneously! And when people ask you how you did it, you just say "I don't have the time to explain why I don't have time to explain!"