Wow! I Didn't Know You Had It In You

Ethan Hunt

Because of Reborn's limited options when it comes to using mons (especially earlygame) you're basically forced to use mons you probably wouldn't use otherwise, which is fun and made me appreciate some mons more and focus on strategies with them. There were several times throughout my 80 plus hours of Reborn that pokemon i didnt care for actually surprised me with how well it performed. The main example for my team in particular was Granbull. I never used or cared for granbull at all, even after getting a type change, but when that lady gave me her snubbul i thought "eh a fairy type would be useful", but my granbull came in clutch multiple times for me, from sweeping kiki to various other close calls, there was a point whered its attack stat was higher then the rest of party's damaging stats so it was my hardest hitting mon for awhile, I used it for the majority of my playthrough but after a while it was starting to get one shotted by stronger mons later in the game so i benched it for gardevoir, but early to mid  playthrough it was invaluable in my battles.

What are some mons you used in Reborn you don't normally use otherwise that made you sit back and say "I didn't know you had it in you" because of how well it performed?

Klinklang gets bad rep for some reason (maybe because it isn't part electric?), but the pokemon saved my ass 80% of the time. It's even in my late game team. Especially since many of the vs Team Meteor fights take place in factory field which boosts gear grind, I really recommend this guy out :P

Also, prior to E17 when SM starters were introduced, I never had a starter make it to my late-game team in canon games. However, primarina managed to do just that, and though it might be a mon I might use even if it wasn't a starter, I felt it was worthy of mention.

Edit: I remembered one I can't believe I forgot. I hated swoobat before Reborn, but it also made my late-game team and was equally as helpful as Klinklang because of its special sweeping potential. Kiki and T3RR4 regretted boosting psychic on their fields. Massacre by a flying pig. Simple + Calm mind is just [insert ok hand here].

Delphox. My first Reborn starter. And what a start that was. Terrible IV's, bad nature and STILL wrecking house against Fern, Victoria, Cain, more Fern and many bigger battles due to it's great Fire Psychic typing

Guest Relinquished
3 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Delphox. My first Reborn starter. And what a start that was. Terrible IV's, bad nature and STILL wrecking house against Fern, Victoria, Cain, more Fern and many bigger battles due to it's great Fire Psychic typing

Likewise. Reliable early item-thief and cute face. Useful typing, as well.

Well dustox does its job well. Early game wall with natural access to moonlight, toxic, venoshock and a psychic move.

Gastrodon was also amazing. Recover, stockpile + clear smog made it incredibly easy to wall some of reborns leaders (looking at you Amaria and Ciel). Be prepared for some ethers or elixers though.

Finally amoonguss was a great pivot with spore and regenerator. It can easily facilitate some sweeps.

• Veterans

250px-530Excadrill.png

This is a strange nom since everyone knows Excadrill is a powerhouse.

That being said I had no idea just how much this thing could trash fights. I genuinely believe Excadrill is easily the strongest Pokemon available in Reborn right now. It can in one way or another trash every single boss in the game, it's actually absurd that a Ground/Steel type ended up 6-0ing the Water Gym leader with little to no effort. Fighting, Fire, Ground and Flying type Gym leaders? Nothing in front of this monster. I love it.

My second one would be none other than the Daddy Long Legs himself;

Ariados

I genuinely didn't think I'd come to like this Pokemon nearly as much as I did. After all, I only used it because of a bet.

Then it curbstomped Tangrowth 1.

And then it curbstomped Florinia.

Then it curbstomped Tangrowth 2.

Then it curbstomped Corey.

Then it curbstomped Shelly

Then it wiped Shade off the face of the earth.

Then it wrecked ZEL.

This stupid ass spider did all of that. It fell off yes, but the fact that it carried the early game that hard gives me nothing but respect. I still use it now because of the invaluable Sticky Webs it has.

Toxicroak!

I'll have you know, that even considering that I have not played Pokemon beyond gen 3, the variety forced upon you in Reborn is beyond awesome. The whole Corey set is awesome. I never knew Toxicroak existed, and now it's my new favorite pokemon by far.

The list of new pokemon I enjoy is too long. I'm almost sad that I got a wicked ralts from wonder trade pretty early. Then again I never used Gardevoir before, so it's all new and cool anyways...

Meganium and Kingler. Meganium is often considered the overall worst starter, but it can definitely hold it's own in a battle. Synthesis, coupled with Reflect, allows Meganium to tank physical hits. Meganium also learns Nature Power, which is one of the better TMs available as of now.

Kingler has saved my bacon so many times I still keep it around despite the fact that I also have Araquanid as my Water-type. Sheer Force + Crabhammer has allowed Kingler to outright OHKO most things, not to mention Kingler learns Protect.

In Rejuvenation Lunatone has really proven itself.

The obvious answer is Kricketune but my favorite has to be Emboar. I really don't like this mons design but this guy just OHKO's everyone it's incredibly fun. Pokemon that I had tons of trouble with before just get destroyed by this mon.

In Rejuv I found a Chingling, which I figured I'd keep since I would need it for Venam

I still have it as a Chimecho 

Even with only Confusion this thing wrecked lives seriously why doesn't it learn Psychic by level up?

Along with Charge Beam and Yawn it's surprising useful

Almost makes me feel bad I just called it Dingdong

Can't think of anything in Reborn beyond Kriketune 

Edited by uberle

Everyone already knows Scrafty is clutch as fuck, but I’m gonna say it anyway. He stomped shade. He stomped ZEL. He absolutely destroyed Kiki, despite being weak to Fighting. He came in clutch against Aya. And pretty much every battle after that. Scrafty is the absolute unit. With good evs and nature can be the most powerful non on the team.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:40 PM, Candy said:

Klinklang gets bad rep for some reason (maybe because it isn't part electric?), but the pokemon saved my ass 80% of the time. It's even in my late game team. Especially since many of the vs Team Meteor fights take place in factory field which boosts gear grind, I really recommend this guy out :P

Also, prior to E17 when SM starters were introduced, I never had a starter make it to my late-game team in canon games. However, primarina managed to do just that, and though it might be a mon I might use even if it wasn't a starter, I felt it was worthy of mention.

Edit: I remembered one I can't believe I forgot. I hated swoobat before Reborn, but it also made my late-game team and was equally as helpful as Klinklang because of its special sweeping potential. Kiki and T3RR4 regretted boosting psychic on their fields. Massacre by a flying pig. Simple + Calm mind is just [insert ok hand here].

I'm early in a run with Klink and Swoobat (grinding for Shelly RN) and I definitely agree. I haven't gotten a chance to use CM yet, but Klink very nearly solo'd Corey's Crobat on the poison mist field, even after it set up Nasty Plot, and even when it crit with Air Cutter. Charge is a godsend and Klink is a legend. Can't wait to get it strong enough to use Shift Gear, or evolve it into something with offensive stats worth mentioning.

Edit: Also I'm not sure if I even need to mention Trubbish but Toxic Spikes on something vaguely bulky is amazing for the first two gyms. Quilladin with Pin missile also wrecked Rini.