Hardest Gym Leader from each gen

• Global Mods

What gym leader was the hardest for you from the gens? For me, it's usually the second for some reason.

Kanto: Misty. No matter which starter I use. I'm honestly not sure why.

Johto: Clair. I'm usually only around level 37-38 at that part of the game, and her Kingdra is annoying.

Hoenn: It used to be Brawly in RSE. I couldn't beat him without training around Slateport first. But in ORAS, he wasn't that bad because of updated Pokemon learnsets and Fairy type.

Sinnoh: Gardenia. My only Pokemon when facing her was Prinplup ._.

Unova: Lenora. She has really high attack power for that point in the game, and outsped and 2HKO my team.

Kalos: Wulfric the first time because I was underleveled. Now I don't have difficulty with any of them, although Valerie comes the closest.

Kanto: For me it Misty aswell as it's the only gym i remember losing to the most as that Starmie was so strong at the time.

Johto: Whitney in the original G/S/C as simply put I was nowhere near as good at battling as I am now so I had no idea how to counter her.

Hoenn: Watson was the toughest for me I just couldn't handle that Magneton.

Sinnoh: I totally forgot about Fantina till I saw it in posts further down and now I remember how much trouble that Mismagius gave me.

Unova: Lenora that stupid Hypnosis Watchog was annoying af then I realized when I went back and replayed it that I was an idiot and forgot about chesto berries.

Unova 2: Cheren as it's the only gym I actually remember having difficulty with in Black 2.

Kalos: None they were insanely easy didn't even have to try.

Edited by The5ilverback

Kanto: Misty. Starmie was a powerhouse, and if you lost your starter then good luck.

Johto: Clair. During my Crystal nuzlocke, she took out my pidgeot and my nidoqueen. My heart couldn't handle it.

Hoenn: Norman. Nuzlocke breaker Norman

Sinnoh: Volkner. Actually gave me a run for my money.

Unova: Cheren. BW2 Cheren using Work Up was really difficult to get around. And no available rock types, so I had to over-level my PKMN

Kalos: Olympia. Turned off the Exp. Share and didn't have a ghost type. Fun times.

Kanto: Brock was annoying because I always started with a Charmander and I didn't know to go grab a Mankey around the corner from Viridian.

Johto: Whitney was a pain and simply annoying. How dare you make my every Pokemon fall in love?

Hoenn: Tate and Liza were seriously a pain because I ended up with a very Psychic weak team and then their doubles format messed with my head.

Sinnoh: I never played any of the Sinnoh games all the way through. Oops.

Unova: Elesa was just trouble because I had never encountered Volt Switch before and it blew my mind.

Kalos: ...why would anyone have trouble with Kalos?

umm well im from gen 4 but i have played remakes so is that ok

kanto: misty

johto: morty for some reason and my level 1 togepi saved me it was pathetic

hoenn: well wallace was the hardest but i havent played r/s/e so i had to play oras

sinnoh: wake

unova: lenora her gimmick is retaliate

kalos: all pretty easy olypmia was the hardest though

but they are all quite easy after all im kind of an expert now

Edited by nugget_22

kanto: misty was a pain in the ass for my charmander... ;-;

johto: morty kept ohkoing me with all those ghost types...

hoenn: juan/wallace not because of the battle, but because of the godamm puzzle ;-;

sinnoh: volkner because of his goddamn focus blast pokemon that destroyed my team that was unfortunately weak to it...

unova: uhh... skyla? i guess... all of them are easy, just that skyla was the most sorta difficult of them i think?

kalos: they really raised the bar on the difficulty... oh wait! its opposite day lol.

(these opinions are pre finding reborn obv.)

Kanto - Sabrina, Gen 1 Psychic type is too OP, or Lt Surge because of the frustrating switch puzzle

Johto - Claire, even with an ice type on hand, you are still doomed when her Kingdra made its appearance, which fairy type wasnt feasible and no dragon type mon or attack were available to you at that point of the game~

Hoenn - Emerald Norman, with only one weakness, which i didnt have any fighting type to counter then

Sinnoh - Fantina, wasnt expecting Mismagius to be that resilient, and also packed powerful moves

Unova - Cheren, none of my mons could one-shot him at the time(B2W2 hadnt exactly offered variety of early mons to begin with), letting him set up work up on me, annihilating whole team instantly~

Kalos - All of gym leaders are run of the mill after you are used to B2W2 difficulties

Kanto: Misty. Starmie grrrr

Johto: Clair. There was literally nothing to hit Kingdra with super-effective damage in GSC so I had to widdle it down bit by bit but then Clair uses Hyper Potions.... :(

Hoenn: Norman. He is fine in ORAS but in RS... *shudders*

Sinnoh: Gardenia. Roserade kicks butt unless you have the right Pokemon

Unova: Lenora. Retaliate OP

Kalos: Never played

Kanto: Brock was not a very fun adversary if you picked Charmander.

Johto: Claire, like everyone else that didn't get decked by a certain Rollout Miltank.

Hoenn: Tate and Liza were a little frustrating. Generation III takes a little bit of a difficulty spike right after you beat Fortree leader - and screw doubles.

Sinnoh: Never played.

Unova: I had trouble with Burgh's Leavanny and Dwebble. His team was pretty well rounded for being a weak defensive leader.

Kalos: Valerie - as she was the first experience I had with Fairy type Pokemon.

Kanto: Misty, Starmie was a pain I often had to resort to shenanigans

Johto: Morty, Gengar and its shadowball would make clean sweeps of my team constantly

Hoenn: Liza and Tate, Their Solrock and Lunatune combo was always a hard one for me to deal with

Sinnoh: Fantina (especially in Platinum), Gengars back! so is shadowball...

Unova: Clay, A similair issue to Gengar just replace it with Excadrill and shadowball with earthquake

Kalos: Clemont, Not sure why just seemed he was a bit tougher

Kanto: Misty yeah. Starmie is ridiculous for that point of the game, being an A tier mon in an early game filled with poverty.

Johto: Gen 2 is was Clair, but gen 4 made Pryce quite a pain with a Dewgong that was quite difficult to KO easily and piloswine with snow cloak/hail/blizzard. Even in Gen 5 Pryce was among the hardest PWT leaders.

Hoenn: Liza and Tate in Emerald were pretty tough, but so was Flannery. Overheat is INSANELY OP'd at that point in the game, easily KOing half the pokemon available to you, and then torkoal has a white herb too? Norman was hard too unless you could exploit Slaking. Emerald is the hardest main game IMO.

Sinnoh: Wake if you didn't have an electric type for Gyrados. Dragon rage spam is stupidly broken and Floatzel having ice fang means he can tear up ice types that can't KO him quickly.

Unova:Not counting PWT which would be nearly all of them, I guess Lenora. Retaliate FTL.

Kalos: lol. But no seriously probably Grant. Only two pokemon but both are quite dangerous if you don't have a good fighting type.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

Kanto: Koga. I was so not prepared for Poison types in Gen 1. And veen in Gen 3, he still kicked my ass. Fuck that Muk.

Johto: Morty in HG/SS. If you don't have a normal type, you're f'd. Gengar's Shadow Ball hurts a lot on that stage of the game.

Hoenn: Juan in Emerald. Do you remember that Kingdra, because I remember that Kingdra.

Sinnoh: Fantina gave me some trouble. That Mismagius tho.

Unova: Lenora. I remember Retaliate. And that's all that I remember.

Unova round 2: Maybe Cheren because Work Up is OP

Kalos: Valerie because I had 4 pokemons weak to Fairy. And they all died during the gym battle.

Kanto: I'm going to have to go with Sabrina in Gen 1. Alakazam was a strong pokemon from the beginning, but having no weaknesses (basically) made it almost broken. Psychic was evil back then.

Johto: Hmm...I'm going to have to go with Whitney here. That Miltank in the olden days of Gen II. Scary, scary.

Hoenn: This is a tough one. Brawly had to be the one who gave me the most trouble as a kid. If you're underleveled and he sets up a Bulk up, gg. He's not super hard, but he's one of the few leaders who actually set up.

Sinnoh: This is very hard, but I'm going to have to go with Candice in Platinum. Hail plus Blizzard was a sick and evil combo, but so many of the Platinum leaders did a good job of hitting the right difficulty for kids in those days. Platinum is so underrated it's sad because it's so much better than Diamond and Pearl because leaders were changed so much and had coverage moves (le gasp).

Unova: Clay had to be for me. I hated that Excadrill and it swept my team pretty bad the first time playing those games. Hone Claw plus bulldoze hurts.

Kalso: Ehh...I guess Clemont because he had T-bolt which is probably the strongest moves of any leader. Kind of pitiful how pathetic the Kalos leaders are, but Clement is the only one I can kind of defend for having a pretty unique team with electric terrain. The other leaders pretty much were offensive or too weak to even make an attack.

Well, I played from gen 3 and got out around gen 5 (too much abilities amongst others...)
But still, I've played some remakes.
-Kanto: Hmm...Usually, Misty didn't feel too hard. I had way more problems with Sabrina, due to lack of decent grind spots and the power.
-Jotho: Clair. I grabbed a geodude in the beginning, so the first 3 gyms were a cakewalk. Clair always fond a way to take one or two mons out. (Morty is a close second, I had a lot of trouble with ghosts)
-Hoenn: I initially tend to go with Wattson, due to having no ground types can really screw you over against him. But Norman was a real pain (especially when it's your first pokemon game, I got hefted with a Blaziken, go figure...), so that's my pick.
-Sinnoh: No real troubles, really, but Volkner not having an electric-mono team in DP caught me off-guard.
-Unova: Tie between BW Elesa and Clay. I really don't like to fight Emolga, and Excadrill was pretty powerful.

Since I've got a lot of bad luck

Kanto: Misty (dang Confusion)

Johto: whitney I will never get over the time Whitney's miltank crit me 3 times in a row

Hoenn: Either Wattson with Sonic Boom, or Juan with 4-5 of his pokemon knowing either a OHKO move or perish song

Sinnoh: nnnnnnone? Even nuzlocke's weren't really hard gymwise

Unova: Lenora with 210 base stab retaliate + Hypnosis Watchog = http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/023/279/186.png

Kalos: Alright so Special props go to that Jerk who brought an Axew with dragon rage on route 8 who ruined like 2 X/Y Nuzlockes. But gym wise I guess I'd give hardest gym leader to Viola for just how little I was prepared for it.

Edited by Grizzlybrand

1: Misty - Starmie usually came as a shock for smalljra

2: Clair - Goddamn Kingdra

3: Juan - ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4: Probably Maylene? I don't remember 4 that much since I can't stand playing it.

5: Lenora and her damn Watchog :{

6: Probably Grant, my no lucky egg/exp. share run had a challenging time beating him.

1. Kanto- like most people.. Misty

2. Due to my choices of a team most of the time, it's either Whitney or Chuck

3. Errr.... um.. what's hard in this gen again? Oh well I guess if youd take RSE and not the remakes into account, for me it was always the 8th gym or Norman

4. No really good memory of the gyms in this gen but uhmm , prolly Fantina or Maylene

5. Dragon gym prolly

6. Er... hard task again since that game was so easy, but let's just say ..... ehm, Grant or something, depending on your starter/team

Kanto: Major Bob, definitely.

Johto: Whitney, with her stupid Miltank

Hoenn: Norman really gave me hell the first time around, and remained a challenge in latter playthroughs.

Sinnoh: Fantina. I just hate Ghost types.

Unova: Drayden. In Gen 5, dragons were still OP, remember?

Kalos: Valerie. I just can't wrap my head around the weaknesses of Fairy Pokémon.

Gen 1 (Kanto): Erika (Sleep Powder + Wrap HAX) -or- Sabrina, I had no issues with Misty ever, yes even when I picked Charmander

Gen 2 (Johto): Morty (Hypnosis + Dream Eater Gengar sucked)

Gen 3 (Hoenn): Wallace (Milotic)

Gen 4 (Sinnoh): Candicw (Evasive Snow Cloak Froslass)

Gen 5 (Unova): Elesa (Blitzle was scary with Flame Charge and Emolga wasn't a slouch either making ground attacks miss)

Gen 6 (Kalos): EZMode