I have a Dillema :~:

Felicity

• Support Squad

Ok, so my school offers the students who study Media the chance to go to New York. The problem is that it costs around £1200 Including my expenses. My parents have said that if I really want to go they will pay for it. This would result in the cancelling of a trip to whales and a rather bleak christmas.

I have no fucking clue what to do, but i would like to go New York but i'd feel awful if i went ;~;

HALP PLS

I don't have any experience about this matter, however, I have questions that might give you better answers afterwards.

How long would be the journey? The £1200 would include travelling, sleeping, (studying), personal expenses right?

Is this only a trip or will you work on a subject?

Can you get some financial help from your school? You can always ask if you're not sure.

Is this chance unique? ie. Will you have other opportunities in the upcoming years?

Edited by Soysauce

• Support Squad

The cost covers a weeks stay, so it's not outrageous in price,

From what previous people who went have said, we'd more than likely just be gawking tourists.

The price is as low as the school can get it.

It is more likely i will be struck by lightning than get this chance again in the foreseeable future :/

See if you can host something like a bake sale or something along those lines to raise money for your trip. I mean, it might be difficult to get enough money to take the trip. But, you can combine your own money aside with your parents and see if you still have enough for the trip and your christmas. I don't exactly know how much £1200 is compared to U.S. dollars, but I'd assume it's not an incredible difference. Also, if you have some wealthy relatives perhaps, you could always beg them for money. Also, maybe mow your neighbors' lawns, do something they would pay you some nice money for.

• Support Squad

It's not that we cannot get the money, it would just make things a lot stingier here, which isn't something i want to do to my family without being fully committed to the trip

Bless my parents souls, they are being so supportive about the whole shenanigan despite this

Edited by DobbyTheElf

• Support Squad

On that subject, if you're willing to do a little summer job for example, that could be interesting to fund a great part of that £1200. Just an example of course!

Already in the process of getting a job. Problem is getting, s i'm assuming worst case cannot get a job

I'm well aware you don't "need" the money, but any money not coming out of your parents' pockets helps your situation I would think.

True, very true.

• Veterans

Ask Around The Forum For A few DOnations As well Who Knows Someone might help

and when is the trip planned to be

if you have about £600 sk your parents for the other £600 and youll get to go and the trip and have some fun aswell in your christmas

• Support Squad

Ask Around The Forum For A few DOnations As well Who Knows Someone might help

and when is the trip planned to be

if you have about £600 sk your parents for the other £600 and youll get to go and the trip and have some fun aswell in your christmas

As much as I love you guys, I don't think anyone would feel comfortable if i did that :/

Well, it's up to you. I quickly learn that parents don't want you to worry about their own personal problems and they want you to have the best experience in life possible. Personally, if it's going to better your life and make you happier, go to NY. Also, find Master Yata and Scarlet there and say hai. c:

So long as the $2000 doesn't put you guys in a compromising position, I'd say go for it. It's a unique experience, and you'll probably never get to travel to NY for that low again.

• Support Squad

Decided to not go, not worth straining everybody for a weeks trip when with any luck i'll be able to go and live there one day in the future. or at least be able to gather the money for it easier.

• Veterans

Welp im going to have trips to spain italy and other stuff in a year so YH

Sad though you couldve met Scarlet >> ERZA SCARLET..sorry i had to make the connection somehow

Let me put it this way... NY is one of the most expensive areas to visit/live in the US. I don't see why they don't send media students to California, where Hollywood and most of the media studios are located anyways. NY is often romanticized, but it isn't as awesome as it claims to be. 1200 pounds just about equals 2045 american dollars. Which is quite a bit under an entire year's worth of rent in cheaper areas of the US. And then there is New Mexico, another state is the US where the movie industry is being drawn to thanks to state legislature and incentives. NY is stereotypically not one of the friendlier US states, either in terms of the industry or attitudes toward tourists. At first I wanted to say for you to go, but once I really think about it, the better option is not to go.

• Support Squad

Well, i decided not to go regardless, but as for why it was NY, it's because our media studies isn't just Films and TV shows, it encompasses magazines, newspapers, Theatre etc as well. Which is a big part of new york i believe. Obvs don't have much credibility though for obvious reasons

Well NY times is kind of a big publication I guess. But yeah, sounds like a big tourist trip. Which isn't a bad thing. I plan on visiting NY and being a tourist myself soon enough. But yeah, might want to jump on those inter-country trips as much as you can. I regretted not being able to go to sydney for a swim invitational because I hadn't swam for the year in between the invitation and the even that earned me my place there. Your parents want you to go to different places and try different things and see different things because they want you to be happy. And if you go to NY, to them it probably seems like a really expansive christmas gift to you. It might not be all that practical, but you're not really traveling all that way for the practical aspect of it.