Nintendo Sucks

Maelstrom

I don't disagree that lately most of Nintendo's games have been geared towards a casual market, but I'd argue that the chain of decisions made during 2013 was a result of the classic bad decision to release a new console without any games to quickly follow up on it. I can't deny that Nintendo have made bad decisions and have shyed away from the competitive and less-casual fans until E3 2014 (IMO), but I disagree that they had little to offer to us at E3; I feel like you're shooting down everything they've shown without caring to evaluate (New Zelda is just "Skyrim-inspired", new IP looks unappealing, all games after Starfox 64 in the series have been bad so this one, which Miyamoto is overseeing and has had little elaboration on as of now must also be bad).

also is anyone else really hyped for Xenoblade 2 because I am

No, he hates nintendo because all we got the past couple of years was Mario and Pokemon Spin offs.

So they focus on producing their trademark franchises which everyone knows Nintendo for, and continue to have great sale numbers for them. Noone bitches at Insomniac for releasing Ratchet and Clank games nonstop, either.

Nintendo only cared about the casual's money, not ours.

They're a company who focus on earnings and appealing to the largest group of fans. Remember what happened when they tried to be innovative? The result was shit sales for the Wii U, because the casuals didn't like it.

Nintendo doesn't exist to hold your hand and appeal to only you.

If you really want to make such games happen, then try contacting them and sharing your ideas to receive their view on them. Who knows, they might've not even thought about it. Or start developing games yourself.

Fyi producing games such as those can take years even with a large team. Investing that much time in a gamble whether or not people will like the product and will purchase it en masse, so obviously they'll expand on their already popular franchises so they can continue to exist as a company that actually makes hella good fucking games.

So this thread is basically my opinion is fact thread LET ME ADD IN!!!

I dont think anyone really had won this year as everyone is just playing it safe
Sony had to try and keep themselves from falling from their spot up high this year. Microsoft had to keep themselves from saying stupid shit and Nintendo had to show stuff that actually meant something as to keep themselves from staying in the red. I mean they all showed some good games not many but thats all right.

Honestly the biggest issue I have is with most of the new gen stuff is all this remake bullshit and the indie games. All any company is literally trying to do is "Look at my system it has things you want " .Personally I wanna see some actual games not just shit like" LOOK IT STAR FOX 64" or " HEY YOU CAN PLAY FINAL FANTASY VII AGAIN ISNT THAT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT" Eh in the end they all lose LETS ALL GET AN OUYA INSTEAD I mean remakes and indie games are the way to go right!
3g6jn.jpg

The Wii U is dying because it was uninteresting for the casual audience and a slap in the face for their core fans who were expecting an actual console.

And it was uninteresting for the casual audience because it was an attempt at innovation, rather than sticking with the same old (and perhaps a lack of games people wanted to play)

But now Nintendo announced a ton of rehashed oldies, Wii U sales will probably get a huge spike. Still can't blame them

That is the problem, they aren't making "hella good fucking games"

I'd argue some of their games are looking "hella good fucking", though. Just some highlights for my list;

• Smash Bros. 4 is looking excellent to me just because all the mistakes it's looked like it fixed from Brawl and all the inventive and clever ideas Sakurai has come up with just make it look to be excellently shaping up. Smash Run, the idea of the Mii Fighters, customization, and newcomers that the fanbase was actually really hoping for; it feels like Sakurai has actually really listened to the community and savvily added features to the game out of our request and approval. It really looks like it's going to be amazing once I get it in my hands.
  • Dynasty Warriors has always looked amusing to me because of just sweeping down tons of mooks; combine this with the roster of available characters from the Zelda series in here and some of the over-the-top action looking to take place from what I've seen of the gameplay, I'm actually really interested in getting Hyrule Warriors now.
  • There hasn't been much shown of the LoZ Wii U title yet, but the concepts Aonuma seems to have wanted to bring back from the older games in the series looks like they're going to mesh in really well here, and it looks appealing to me. I'm pretty sure the older fans who loved the original Zelda are going to like this title aswell.
  • Splatoon looks very creative and full of ideas for a new IP by Nintendo; the objectives and the ways they're carried out, the variety of items all associated with splattering paint, the squid form and some of the team mechanics seem like they mesh to create a really fun game. It may be a new IP but it looks to be a good one to me.
  • Hoenn remakes are Hoenn remakes.
  • Finally, I can't say much for Xenoblade X considering the lack of elaboration on the trailer's part, and the fact that I'm still waiting for the excessively British voices instead of the excessively Japanese voices (and that Nintendo isn't actually making this game but I feel like mentioning it anyway), but if Monolith is looking to live up the original Xenoblade then my expectations for this game are incredibly high. Xenoblade Chronicles is one of my favorite games of all time and I'm hoping that the sequel will honour it's name.

All this, combined with how much it looks like Nintendo does work for it's fans, has convinced that I want to buy a damn Wii U at some point in the future.

It's probably also important to remember that Nintendo also tries to appeal to younger audiences, though I don't think it works well for them in Western countries, considering all most kids want these days is to blow stuff up and scream at a TV when they don't get their 360 nosescope

It's probably also important to remember that Nintendo also tries to appeal to younger audiences, though I don't think it works well for them in Western countries, considering all most kids want these days is to blow stuff up and scream at a TV when they don't get their 360 nosescope

>nosescope

Kids these days are also inundated in casual games that are free or straight up cheap on their phones or tablets. They're not gonna want the casual stuff the wii u offers when they have a lot more on these other devices. I think Nintendo miscalculated when they thought that casual scum would want expensive-ish innovation instead of targeting the serious gamer audience who has been pining for something to add a little extra depth.

It only makes sense when you look at the Japanese themselves as a gaming demographic- they're all far more casual gamers than anything else. The street pass feature on the 3DS is really just a rip off all the things they did with their cell phones, which (at least used to) have far more functions and did far more things for them than they do in the US, like ring/vibrate if they come within close vicinity of a potential date via a dating website app, for example. The street pass is also a far more effective tool in a tiny, crowded island nation than it is for a very large, very spacious nation like the US. The fact that Nintendo/gamefreak hosted all sorts of special events and wifi mystery gift events that none of the other countries received (if you don't believe me, look at the serebii.net database of event pokemon) says a lot. Also, does the pokebank thing ring a bell?

Clicky

Nintendo seems to be pretty ethnocentric to me and really shows very few indications of actually listening to fans. I remember reading an article where nintendo decision makers say they read ideas and suggestions, such as characters for the new SSB game and didn't take any of them seriously (which I understand because people want some ridiculous characters in the game) and another article about Nintendo's response to game suggestions in general as pretty much being ignored.

Nintendo forgets that there has been a whole rest of the world that has generated most of their income until now and their neglect of their desires has left them in dire straits. Magazines have for years now reported on how over-controlling and restrictive Nintendo is with third party games. One may applaud how nintendo has refused to add in the extra hardware power to make its processing comparative to Sony and Microsoft and keep things a bit cheaper and more simple for the gamer by not buying into the 'better graphics = better game" idea their competitor have seemed to have bought into over the past console wars... but in the end this also denied developers the ability to port their non-console exclusive games to the relatively underpowered system without a serious, costly overhaul of their entire game.

Some of you obviously think my hatred of Nintendo is just willfulness on my part, but rather it is the result of years of personal past experience and growing up with Nintendo that allows me to see how they've changed the way they think and market new games and hardware. I know whereof I speak.

The Wii was kind of intriguing because at the time it was innovative, however it's not what I'd use to plays game that I keep coming back to. Each and every one of Nintendo's exclusives are childishly boring and just not geared towards someone like me. The Wii U is similar but it's not leading the way in innovation really any more.

Innovation can sell sometimes. Part of the reason why the wii was adored by the casual market was because of the motion controls. Games like Wii Sports and Just Dance were a huge hit and sold millions of Wii consoles. And I love the implementation of the touch/dual screens. Sony actually copied them and I love it that they did that.

However, back to Mael's statement about developers not wanting to make wii games. I know that there is. Video somewhere where Bethesda higher ups rant about why they will never make wii games.

As for the statement "Nintendo never listens to their fans". I want to reiterate that statement to "Nintendo listens to their fans SOMETIMES". At e3 this year All the Nintendo employees where walking around with a notebook writing down what people where saying. One Youtubers I follow said he caught a glimpse of one of the books and saw that someone wrote down one of his statements about smash row being "I am afraid to throw out attacks, because I don't want to be punished for doing so".

Also a lot of changes that were made to the characters in smash 4 weren't Sakurai's ideas. A lot of those changes were made in the brawl mods, Project M, Brawl -, and Brawl +. And people did actually spam nintendo's Mii verse with "you should make a game based around those toad mini games in the last Mario game". I was like ew, no, stawp. And ninty did it.

As I keep saying Desparate Nintendo is Best Nintendo.

• 2 months later...
  • Veterans

I think next year

The next big thing instead of "HOENN CONFIRMED" will be "SINNOH CONFIRMED"

Also i agree on some points that some great parts of the franchises got worse Example:Explorers of Sky>Gates to Infinity

But that doesnt mean nintendo will improve on them as Pokemon games are 1 of their Company's Mascots besides Mario