Nintendo Sucks

Maelstrom

As a former Nintendo fan, I have to say that Nintendo's done a lot of disappointing shit in recent years. They've made some missteps and they're in the red thanks to poor WiiU sales. Some of this topic could be devoted to going into excruciating detail some of the bad ideas they've hatched, but that's not gonna be the main focus. The main focus is discussing what they COULD be doing that would make Nintendo great again.

I know someone mentioned it before me, but since then I've been latched onto the idea of a Pokemon Snap game for Wii U. You use that tablet as a camera the same way you use your 3DS in that AR minigame that netted you the DW forms of the gen 5 genies. Or the same way that LoZ style wiiU demo game was on a rail but you moved the game pad to aim and shoot. I think most people can agree that the original pokemon snap game was pretty fun with a lot of little secrets and eggs to unearth new pokemon. I mean, you have to knock a charmeleon upside the head with an apple to knock it into a pool of lava so it could evolve into a charizard for you to take a picture of. Not only is that hilarious, but creative and fun. Now with so many pokemon to choose from and all sorts of environments explored in all the regions, there's no shortage of locations and scenarios where they could bring pokemon to life and interact with each other.

I think Nintendo had a good idea early on in their out of box games in that some games were 3 v 1, tv screen players joining together to face off against player 1. I feel like there should be a lot more games and franchises that could take advantage of the fact that there could be a single super player supporting or facing off against other people. For one random example off the top of my head, if you look at the upcoming Hyrule Warriors game, they've got link and other characters fighting the masses in typical dynasty flash, complete with boss battles. What if upon beating a boss character, you were able to play as that boss and defeat your friends? Cuz lets face it, LoZ boss AI is made to let you take advantage of weakpoints and flaws in attacks. Why don't you show 'em how it's done? Anyway, it's a half-baked idea that could be fun. I'm sure you guys can think of other ways to put the game pad to better use.

Almost forgot. My favorite idea for the pad is for RTS games. RTS games like StarCraft rely on a logistician to make decisions and micromanage an armed force in order to balance resource gathering with troop research and production. And you usually have a special hero unit or two that has increased abilities and stats, and maybe even unique abilities to call upon. This is a guy you want to send into the fray as your balance tipping powerhouse. But take your attention away one second and shit could go wrong and your guy is making his last stand because the AI is stand and fight until told otherwise. The big change the game pad could make is to give at least one player direct control over a hero unit, FPS style, in order to make a difference in the battle. While the logistician issues commands and focuses on tech and troop generation and overall control of the battlefield, the other player can be deployed to pinpoint locations to make a difference in the battle. Punch through that defensive line that would have eaten up scores of ai number crunching troops would have broken upon. Raid the middle map contested resource areas and provide security to your supply line. Be that fucking invisible ghost that snipes all the minions or calls in that nuke to the middle of the enemy base. Really be able to hit and run in the vulture and laugh your ass off as they enemy runs into the spider mines you expertly laid down either before hand or during your escape. There are those guys who do the tactics and turn based strategies and minute by minute race and item builds... and there are the guys who can dip dodge duck roll and shoot things in the face without taking a scratch. Maybe these guys can learn to play together, eh?

Discuss.

Nintendo has made a lot of mistakes since the Wii, due that people were more focused on graphics, and don´t take me wrong, i like Nintendo but like most companies they´re like politics, big promise but all talk. And when they´re broke, a way to recover money is either whit a remake, a new Pokemon game, a zelda game, mario and a smash (A.k.a, hear their buyers) Otherwise they would be a dead company.

The 3ds is their best console so far, and mostly thanks to Pokemon and some others games.

The main focus is discussing what they COULD be doing that would make Nintendo great again.

I know someone mentioned it before me, but since then I've been latched onto the idea of a Pokemon Snap game for Wii U.

Sorry, but I'm kinda reading "Nintendo needs to revive itself; how about some photography?".

I don't see a game where you stalk and throw rocks at wild pokémon being brought back and reviving the Nintendo spirit.

Nintendo doesn't suck... Nintendo is awesome!

and I think Nintendo won E3, everything what MS and Sony showed was predictable (and I don't count GTA5 for next gen and PC towards Sony... it was Rockstar and it is Multiplatform)

Exclusive Highlights of MS:

Halo: Masterchief Edition

Exclusive Highlight of Sony:

Uncharted 4: Thief's End

Exclusive Highlights of Nintendo:

Legend of Zelda Wii U (it's friggin open world, and looks awesome!)

Smash Bros. Wii U / 3DS (first time playable + tons of new Infos!)

Star Fox Wii U (to Quote myself: "Hell, it's about time!")

Kirby: Rainbow Curse (so adorable!!!)

Yoshi Wooly World (I want to cuddle it!!)

Splatoon (I would prefer it on PC via steam... looks fun)

Bayonetta 2 (+ Byonetta 1 with exclusive Content)

Amiiboos (it depends on the price... but the concept to use them in many different games is awesome... and they look cool)

Nintendo has so much more variety in it's games than Sony and MS combined...

Sony and MS only look at the graphics, to make it look 'as real as possible' and putting tons of effects on it...

and really a new Pokemon Snap? I was dissapointed when I bought it and was 100% done within 4 hours... it's to repetative...

Edited by Cepheus

I kinda agree.. snap was fun but i honestly dont think it will something that can help nintendo survive.. I do however think that maybe refreshing the pokemon games would help.. maybe remake it in the fighting genre instead of just turn based games where we can actually play as the pokemon.. kinda like the DBZ and naruto games.. further we could actually train our pokemon and not just battle wild pokemon to level up.. for example to speed train it would be like go through a specific course in a certain time limit multiple times.. stuff like that..

There are things Nintendo should do and Nintendo shouldn't do.

Shouldn't:

- Remake Pokemon Snap. I agree that it could be fun at times, but it's a little one-sided. It's also a fact that not much people are hoping for it.

- Remake Pokemon Ranger. I, personally, thought that it was a nice game, but there are a lot of people that don't agree with me. Therefore, I would say not to remake it.

Should:

- A new game with Shadow Pokemon. I mean, c'mon, everyone was hyped about Shadow Lugia, right? They would be just as hyped with a Shadow Zekrom or a Shadow Arceus.

- Remake Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. ...Oh wait. This will be a great thing, as RSE had the biggest Pokemon fanbase ever. Many people will just buy these for nostalgia.

- A new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I feel terrible about the fact that Nintendo just said: "Screw Mystery Dungeon" in the last installment, because the aftergame and the available Pokemon were terrible. I mean, the others had all Pokemon in them that were made at that time, and this...didn't. This was just terrible. What was good was the storyline and the sprites. I say: take those sprites, invent a decent storyline, and, for god's sake, put in at least 400 Pokemon.

- A new game. As already stated, a Dragon Ball Z-like game or something would be great. People would buy it all over. And since it's the first of Pokemon, we have two possibilities. Is it good? Make a new installment. Is it bad? Meh, they bought it anyway...but if you remake it, it will probably be not such a success.

Edited by Bibarel

- A new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I feel terrible about the fact that Nintendo just said: "Screw Mystery Dungeon" in the last installment, because the aftergame and the available Pokemon were terrible. I mean, the others had all Pokemon in them that were made at that time, and this...didn't. This was just terrible. What was good was the storyline and the sprites. I say: take those sprites, invent a decent storyline, and, for god's sake, put in at least 400 Pokemon.

So I'm not the only one. Playing Red Rescue Team as a kid brought me close to my first man tears, the only game to have done that before. It doesn't need to be all 3D and pretty-like.The storyline is the best out of any Nintendo game I've played. Yeah, it's incredibly cheesy, but the feelings and camaraderie you feel with your partner is incredibly stunning.

And here I thought you would rant about Pokemon XY/ Mario:Sticker Star/ Mario Kart 8 etc. sucking...
I feel like you think Nintendo sucks because your ideas for games haven't been implemented/made yet.
But that's just me.

I like Nintendo and their 1st party exclusives. Their games are wholly fun and they use their console's/handheld's unique mechanics well, giving their games flavor and depth. But what I really don't like about them is that they mostly depend on nostalgia or existing series to carry the weight. I'd like that they experiment much more than they are now and not be afraid to spend a little on a new IP.

And yes, the 3DS Mystery Dungeon is sucky for not including all the pokemon, because3Dmodels >_>

i agree cuddle, im disapointed with the no new mystery dungeon because frankly in my opinion gate to infiny sucked, after im done wiht the main story i enjoy all the extra and bouns missions of the end game gates to infiny didnt offer that, the game felt really rushed to me. not really bothered baout no new pokemon ranger as i havemt played the series was hoping for another game like gale of darkness, i loved tjhose games and would have loved a shadow groudon and some others.

Nintendo doesn't suck... Nintendo is awesome!

and I think Nintendo won E3, everything what MS and Sony showed was predictable (and I don't count GTA5 for next gen and PC towards Sony... it was Rockstar and it is Multiplatform)

Exclusive Highlights of MS:

Halo: Masterchief Edition

Halo 5: Guardians

Scalebound (read as: Owen squee)

Exclusive Highlight of Sony:

Uncharted 4: Thief's End

LBP3

Far Cry 4 (where you can invite buddies to play who don't even own the game)

Tim Schaefer stuff. idk who he is or w/e but exclusive-ish stuffs

Suda51, horror genre

Bloodborne

other console preferences given by games, like Destiny and Diablo

Entwined

Infamous First Light

Exclusive Highlights of Nintendo: If you only picked one game for the above... you really cheated and added everything NIntendo here. Rehashes of staple IPs only. Exclusively repetitive, even taking into account BF and CoD. That's two franchises compared to most of Nintendo's roster.

Legend of Zelda Wii U (it's friggin open world, and looks awesome!) Yet ANOTHER LoZ game, this time following in the steps of Skyrim and GTA and other 'open worlds'

Smash Bros. Wii U / 3DS (first time playable + tons of new Infos!) Not that many new infos, but the customizing stuff is huge in and of itself.

Star Fox Wii U (to Quote myself: "Hell, it's about time!") Just as bad as that itty bitty show of KH3 sony did that other time- it aint happening any time soon. Plus, all the SF games after 64 have been bad.

Kirby: Rainbow Curse (so adorable!!!)

Yoshi Wooly World (I want to cuddle it!!) Yoshi version of Kirby's yarn story, aka if LBP could do it we can too! Ninty needs to come up with some new tricks.

Splatoon (I would prefer it on PC via steam... looks fun) It looks fun for all of about 10 plays.

Bayonetta 2 (+ Byonetta 1 with exclusive Content) meh

Amiiboos (it depends on the price... but the concept to use them in many different games is awesome... and they look cool) I agree this is cool and I want them, but skylanders and disney infinity did this first and when you add up all the characters AND the cost of the game, it's very expensive. New cash cow gimmick... that will absolutely work.

Nintendo has so much more variety in it's games than Sony* and MS combined... Someone really didn't watch the Sony section did they? No Man's Sky, Entwine, and Abzu anyone?

Sony and MS only look at the graphics, to make it look 'as real as possible' and putting tons of effects on it... Nintendo's only effort is the graphics, making things look more cutesy or more like yarn, or more overworld zelda. bro, pls.What else do you think they're doing with the RSE remakes and LoZ and yoshi and yet another kirby game and mario games? Updating their look, minimal gameplay change, pot calling the kettle black all the while the pot is jealous that the kettle is bigger and hold more.

and really a new Pokemon Snap? I was disapointed* when I bought it and was 100% done within 4 hours... it's too* repetitive*...

*ftfy

Nintendo is struggling...

i agree cuddle, im disapointed with the no new mystery dungeon because frankly in my opinion gate to infiny sucked, after im done wiht the main story i enjoy all the extra and bouns missions of the end game gates to infiny didnt offer that, the game felt really rushed to me. not really bothered baout no new pokemon ranger as i havemt played the series was hoping for another game like gale of darkness, i loved tjhose games and would have loved a shadow groudon and some others.

I actually never had a chance to play XD or the Colosseum games. I only saw videos, but yes, my god, those kinds of games I would buy in a heartbeat.

I read somewhere though that it wasn't Gamefreak who made the XD game (unsure), so I doubt we would see it anytime soon.

There are things Nintendo should do and Nintendo shouldn't do.

Shouldn't:

- Remake Pokemon Snap. I agree that it could be fun at times, but it's a little one-sided. It's also an opinion* that not much people are hoping for it.

- Remake Pokemon Ranger. I, personally, thought that it was a nice game, but there are a lot of people that don't agree with me. Therefore, I would say not to remake it.

Should:

- A new game with Shadow Pokemon. I mean, c'mon, everyone was hyped about Shadow Lugia, right? They would be just as hyped with a Shadow Zekrom or a Shadow Arceus. What was special about shadow pokemon again? I played gale of darkness for all of like 30 minutes and got bored.

- Remake Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. ...Oh wait. This will be a great thing, as RSE had the biggest Pokemon fanbase ever (probably because video games and handhelds had finally become very mainstream and more people knew about gaming and could get their hands on stuff. You have to remember that the video game industry really had its modern industry boom AFTER the first two generations were made.) Many people will just buy these for nostalgia.

- A new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I feel terrible about the fact that Nintendo just said: "Screw Mystery Dungeon" in the last installment, because the aftergame and the available Pokemon were terrible. I mean, the others had all Pokemon in them that were made at that time, and this...didn't. This was just terrible. What was good was the storyline and the sprites. I say: take those sprites, invent a decent storyline, and, for god's sake, put in at least 400 Pokemon. Even after playing the original PMD games, the blue one, I walked away disappointed in the series. The way that it was still turn based and restricted to awkward grid movement (MMBN grid movement actually worked well for what it did) turned me away from the series.

- A new game. As already stated, a Dragon Ball Z-like game or something would be great. People would buy it all over. And since it's the first of Pokemon, we have two possibilities. Is it good? Make a new installment. Is it bad? Meh, they bought it anyway...but if you remake it, it will probably be not such a success.

Depends on which DBZ game you're talking about too. they've changed controls and mechanics around a lot with DBZ games.

I'd still like to see an entirely pokemon version of SSB.

*ftfy

Nintendo is struggling...

Well I was referring to EXCLUSIVE Highlights... and my Highlights... as I said some games were predictable and some just didn't get my attention...

For your MS additions... well just more Halo,

and Scalebound... that Trailer didn't show me much... just one guy who could turn to his body into Dragonscales and everything just REndertrailer with so many effects you could get blind...

(like I said, lets make it look real and get effects in it)

For Sony:

LBP3... well you already have two "create your one game"-game and Project Spark for XBox One...

Farcry 4 isn't exclusive it's again Multiplatform! - and that (exclusive)feature will be available for other games later (iirc) .. .and well I guess the coop is available on steam too, although your buddy needs to own the game...

Console Preferences for PS4... yay... get it on PC... like... now???

Suda 51-Horror Game... I admit, I'm not a fan of horror-games...

Bloodborne... another Dark Souls

-------------

For you additions at Nintendo:

Zelda was always go here first then go there... now with open world it's an entirely new game! (Link between worlds made a first step towards this)

For Smash Bros. - Have you watched the Nintendo Treehouse Sections of Smash Bros.? There was ton of indepth info.

Star Fox... maybe the games were mediocre... but at least we finally get a life sign that this IP still exists!

Kirby - Kirby Rainbow Curse will have so many different playstyles, with all of Kirby's transformations.. and it has Gameplay changes since it doesn't play like your avarege Kirby-game. The only game that was like it was Canvas Curse and that games old! (one of the first Titles for DS)

For Yoshi it's the same as for StarFox... ok it's last game was merely a remake for 3DS.

Spaltoon - The matches were 3 minutes and only on 1 map... think about the possible maps and strategies... and well as I said it would like better on PC.

Bayonetta - 'meh' is also your opinion, I thought it looks awesome.

And yeah... the looks needs to be adjusted, and all that wooly thing with yoshi and Kirby - of course it has to look cute, because they are cute characters!

Ok I would wish for a Zelda more in the darker style like Twilight Proncess, but it still looks good.

While Sony and MS almost only has fast-paced action titles... Nintendo has a huge variety... fast-paced action with Bayonetta and Smash Bros. and Hyrule Warriors

slow relaxing with Yoshi and Kirby.

Puzzles and Action with Zelda.

Something new for a variety of games with the Amiboos

Strategy with Project STEAM

Kid, Mael is pissed because Nintendo hasn't done anything new or innovative. They also abandoned plenty of great IPs like F-zero, Metroid, Star Fox, Custom Robo, Advanced Wars, Golden Sun, and Eternal Darkness.

Nintendo only cares about profit over fan needs. So they made their appeal towards the casual "not really gamer" audience with crap like the hundreds of Mario, Pokemon, and Mii spin offs. Ninty going this route does make sense, however after the wii u, the casual audience stopped giving a crap. So right NOW Nintendo is doing a little better. #desparate Nintendo is best Nintendo.

And I agree with Mael 99% on everything he said. Some of you people really don't pay attention to what Sony and Microsoft does. And the new Zelda and star fox has shown use less of what they are than what scalenbound or Kingdom hearts 3 has. So ya...

Sony won e3 period. Here is why...

Uncharted 4 looks awesome as always.

Little Big Planet > Yarn Yoshi

For those you who don't know. Dark soul's 2 was techniquely dark soul's 3. And Blood Borne is Dark Soul's 4 and exclusive to ps4 much like how the first entry in the series, Demons's Souls was exclusive to ps3.

New Suda 51 game... Anyone who played no more heroes or killer 7 would know what that means!

Tim Shafer, creator of Psychonauts, says hi!

Destiny going to be on ps4 first and will be having exclusive content, the alpha beta is available NOW to ps4 owners.

Expansion to Infamous 2nd son involving a New Playable Character!

Ratchet and Clank movie

playstation Now! = netflix but with video games.

That... Is actually innovative o.o

- Swimming

Playstation TV, aka diet game console, being marketed at 99.99

That's really steep.

- fezzdog

and far cry, mortal kombat X, and he new batman game ARE NOT on Nintendo consoles, soooooo.... Ya buy it on ps4

Lastly GTAV said that it is going to be on ps4, not Xbox one. And you can transfer your save file from Xbox 360 if you wanted to convert.

Oh and Sunset overdrive on Xbox looks Siiiiick!

And you guys forgot to mention the only thing that excited me during the Nintendo Digital event... xenoblade! Scrubs!

In regards to Mael's general comments:

Your points have some legitimacy to them; Amiibo seems like a very gimmicky route to take in terms of products that could encourage Wii U sales. But I feel like you keep going out of your way to shoot down new announcements and updates on games Nintendo has made; I can understand your anger towards the lack of innovation on Nintendo's part but that isn't the only way to keep new games fresh and your passion for innovation in games feels kind of like it's biasing your view towards Nintendo's decisions lately. Just saying.

Nintendo only cares about profit over fan needs.

Can you honestly blame them considering they've had one of their lowest grossing rates in a long time last year?

On an edited note yes I am all for a pokémon mystery dungeon that is not completely ruined in terms of desired gameplay like GoI was

Yeah, GoI was horrible. Even the usual sad part at the end seemed so forced that not even a tear leaked out of my unimpressed eyes. The 'design your base' thing was... horrible. The only feature I liked was that your moves would level up as you use them, but it had the downside that it made it harder to choose to learn new moves. The Infinity Circle thing was okay, but pretty gimmicky and not as fun as it should of been.

Eeeh, All the big companies had something I'm interested in.

Yoshi game? Yay!

More info on games in development? Yay!

Scalebound?

post-47423-0-61926600-1401816824.jpg

eeh, my only real complaint about it is the fact that we still play a fragile mortal bipedal human.

So wait, you hate Nintendo because they're not creating games that appeal to the idea you have for games they could make?

No, he hates nintendo because all we got the past couple of years was Mario and Pokemon Spin offs. They let franchises we love die, and have no innovation. His ideas are saying "look how easy it is to come up with an idea for some of these games"

Nintendo only cared about the casual's money, not ours.

Do you really want to count all the mario spin offs? Cuz we can do that. And none of us will be pleased at the end. Dem sports games, dem olympics games, them dk vs mario games, dem mario party games, that SE + ninendo mario party game, a friggin toad game (Toad is the goddam slippy of the mario universe. Ain't nobody that likes that guy), them yoshi and DK games that ruin rather than revive the beloved classics they're based off of because they changed the wrong things... I played GoI too, as my first time playing the PMD series in quite a few installments and agree that it was really weak, like they took a lot of shortcuts and buffed up the graphics a little bit. Rumble blast, the AR game, the 3D pokedex, the pokemon drawing tutor game, the ranger games and the other pmd games of recent memory...

The innovative thing that I was excited about was that headset that Sony introduced. But yeah, Nintendo's main innovations lately were the Wii U gamepad, which has not been used as well as it could have, and the amiibos, which I actually like but can very easily see the exploitation on the horizon. One of the things I actually applaud Nintendo for is that LoZ/Dynasty Warriors crossover. It's a great start on the idea that maybe we can combine the favorite characters from one series/franchise with the gameplay of another that will be fun for fans and new players alike. Which reminds me of how FF Theatrhythm was awesome and how Curtain Call is gonna be even better.

Oh, and was anyone impressed by anything they'd seen or heard about zombie U? Looked like the generic, B grade zombie killer game that felt out of place next to all the titles for the WiiU that all screamed that the WiiU is a child's console, not a gamer's console.

Nintendo's had some good stuff, but overall... I'm quite disappointed.