Changing battle mechanic for more challenge (plz Ame ~.~)

gutten_tag

After the first 3 gyms in-game, i realized that gym leader's battle is quite boring and easy than expected. It's not like i use competitive team and powerful moveset to OHKO them (actually i did, but that's not the problem). The most disappoiting is that gym leaders' teams got wrong. Very wrong i can tell that. I'll make an example for this: I don't know about how you guy fight Samson, but how can Gardervoir lv 65 (base speed 80) CAN BE FASTER than Hawlucha LV 66 (base speed 118), or how can Infernape can be faster than Cincino even Cinci is higher level than Infer?? There are so much wrong with their teams. Their pokemon is good. Moveset is ok (like Sabeyle -_-). But their Stats have problem. I think they got NO EVs invest at all. When you can access to 510 EVs (like >120 points stats), and they got nothing, that's make them so weak, even they are higher level than yours. From Noel (as i remember correctly), all of them got OHKO, and very little got 2HKO (like Umbreon).

So my point is: i want more challenge. And i think it's not harder to change this than other bugs or issues in game right now. Here are some ideas:

1, Re-build gym leader's team: i think all of them need 510 EVs spreed wisely, good nature, maximum IVs if possible. And somehow i think Ame can change their moveset and their choices to attack, example Superpower for Honchkrow (Jubjub bird i remember?), and only use super-effective moves or at least the best damages it can do. How can Honchkrow always use Brave Bird when fighting a Magnezone with 0.25x damage?? ridiculous.

2, (this is the most important part i want)

PLEASE DON'T TELL US THE NEXT POKEMON LEADERS OR BOSSES ARE GOING TO USE NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS UNFAIR. and they deserve a fair match! Like real battle online or somehow in battle tower. I'll make an example for this.

tyranitar is a beast. My fav in first 2 gen. But it has a nasty weakness against Fighting pkm. ANd then when we see a messenger appear:"Luna is going to use Bandersnatch"- we switch a Fighting pkm and then OHKO. It's not fair!!!! How can a monster die that easily! If Luna send him immediately without warning first, at least he will destroy one or two pkms. That's his power. maybe i'm asking too much if i say something like:"switch him out when i send a fighting pkm in", but the point of sending him without warning is not that much.

And for that reason, i don't want to know the FIRST pokemon they are going to use. Maybe some random choose will be nice too. If you know that Luna send Bisharp first, basically you will prepare somehthing can OHKO him as the lead on your team. That's not fair neither. I mean c'mon. They deserve a fair match. They got STUCK to ONE TYPE only. And we can prepare to deal with that type before start, that's already TOO much. And their team got sucks stats, and we always know what pkm they are going to send next???? And somehow someone still say:" the leader team got hax all the time, i miss all the time and they hit all the time! it's frustrating!" ?????

That's just wrong. Of course i don't expect to change all things as i said. I just give some of my own ideas, and if you can change one or two things in here, i'll appreciate it Ame (hope you can read this ~.~). And i want to know what you guy think about that, and what other ideas you want to change to make the game more challenge. Tks for reading ^_^

Two things.

Firstly if you're finding the game too easy 'cause you're EV training maybe you shouldn't be EV training. I'm using a pretty average team with no EV training whatsoever and it takes me several tries to get past each gym leader. Putting EVs on all of the gym leaders pokemon makes it very difficult to win without EV training yourself and I doubt that many people actually do.

Secondly go to your options in your main menu and change your battle style from shift to set. This will stop the game from telling you what your opponent is going to send out next and you won't get the option to switch. It's how I play and it's much more challenging.

Secondly go to your options in your main menu and change your battle style from shift to set. This will stop the game from telling you what your opponent is going to send out next and you won't get the option to switch. It's how I play and it's much more challenging.

wow, that's new for me really. Tks for that ^_^

Two things.

Firstly if you're finding the game too easy 'cause you're EV training maybe you shouldn't be EV training. I'm using a pretty average team with no EV training whatsoever and it takes me several tries to get past each gym leader. Putting EVs on all of the gym leaders pokemon makes it very difficult to win without EV training yourself and I doubt that many people actually do.

Definitely doing that in the next ep

Of course you're feeling like that, Tag (Yes i'm calling you that ^^). The reason is simple: From the people that i see on the forums, you're the most "crazy" when it comes to breeding. Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're already playing this game as if you're playing competitively right? You're breeding for "close to perfect" IVs and good movesets. So it's rather obvious as to why you're finding the game to be too easy. The thing is: Most people don't care about EVs, and even less to breeding. That's why most people struggle when you're just destroying every gym leader.

I don't find any problems with breeding and EV training in Reborn. After all, i do EV train and sometimes, i breed pokes as well. But most people don't do that.

If you really want a challenge, then stop breeding and stop EV training. Play as if these two things don't exist (Unless you want to breed Eevee for more eevees for example). Then you'll notice that Reborn is far harder than what you think.

I also want to point out one thing:

1, Re-build gym leader's team: i think all of them need 510 EVs spreed wisely, good nature, maximum IVs if possible. And somehow i think Ame can change their moveset and their choices to attack, example Superpower for Honchkrow (Jubjub bird i remember?), and only use super-effective moves or at least the best damages it can do. How can Honchkrow always use Brave Bird when fighting a Magnezone with 0.25x damage?? ridiculous.

Any chances that Honchkrow had a Choice Scarf? It makes sense right?

Unless Magnezone was already in play, and it decided to use Brave Bird anyway. If that's the case, then that's weird.

• Veterans

Uh Gutten Tag....I Believe you are to broken your pokemon are ev trained with 1 or 2 good ivs along with some good moves...dont just stop its making em too good easily beating everything

• Administrators

So here's a little known fact: I don't actually have control over EVs. It makes me sad, but it's not in the system. So the player is naturally going to start having an advantage as we move forward.

Not-so-little known fact is that, as you point out, the AI is terrible. One of my goals for E13 is to improve that.

*so sad*

i already start a new playthrough with Chimchar, just 3 gyms already(and of course i don't get the Day care couple yet, so no breeding already -_-)

now I know about "shift" and "set" mode, maybe i'll start a new play as well, since my second play is not too far in-game. But really, sometimes i feel like the leader's pkms is ridiculous. How can all my pokemon faster than them??? i mean MOSTLY THE TIME, even their pokemons got 30-40 base speed higher than mine. Even if i don't EV training, I still got 510 EVs after all. and if the leaders' pkms don't have ANY EVs at all, noway-in-hell it's a fair match. If i know about RPGmaker, maybe i'll change this game to myself (I love the story thought), but since i got absolute no idea how can this happen....

Actually i reeaaallly want to start a VERY HIGH DIFFICULT reborn game (trust me, I try Nuzlocke mode on reborn, and it's not so difficult for me thought)

If possible, maybe Reborn game should have more than one choices level difficult to start the game? Like: easy/ normal/ hard/ very hard/ NIGHTMARE/ IMPOSSIBLE/ LEGENDARY mode (oh gosh, i definitely start with Legendary mode -_-)

And btw, tks Ame for improve it for epi13. @@

Edited by gutten_tag

wow, that's new for me really. Tks for that ^_^

That option's been around since Gen 1, bro.

My own self-imposed handicaps are:

-Have battle style on "Set" instead of "Shift"

-No using items in battle

-Sleep clause

well, currently all opponent's pokemon have an amount of EVs that depends on their level, but their EVs are spread around all stats evenly.

I think around level 50 or so, pokemon have all their 510 EVs, but they have like 85 EVs in each stat.

As for the IVs, currently it's only possible to give all IVs the same value (for example all 31 or all 30), which is a problem for the hidden powers because you can only get HP Dark or HP Fighting. Most of the Gym leaders have their Pokemon have 31 IVs which is good enough as long as you're not using Hidden Power or 0 IV speed/-SPE nature.

If you think Reborn's too easy, my advice is to not EV train, since the opponents apparently don't either.

I just.. No, dude. No.

I'll go at this without trying to be a jerk- But really? Was this really needed..?

After the first 3 gyms in-game, i realized that gym leader's battle is quite boring and easy than expected.

- By first 3 gyms, I'm assuming the gyms as they come, be it with or without a badge being distributed; The game is meant to be easy to start off and gradually become harder and harder to play through.

It's not like i use competitive team and powerful moveset to OHKO them (actually i did, but that's not the problem).

- This already proves you're the cause of making things "easy" on your own behalf. Making it your own problem. I recall having seen a Smeargle in a previous post you made, with competitive movesets to be bred, as well as a fully-special Nidoking.

The most disappoiting is that gym leaders' teams got wrong.

- Their teams are wrong? They're all based on a singular or dual-type. Gym Leaders aren't meant to be extremely overpowered, they're meant to be a test of your wits and strength. Only if one defeats a Gym Leader, they can say they have the capability to become successful later on.

Very wrong i can tell that.

- Again, you cannot "tell that". I most certainly doubt you have any experience in creating a game from scratch and determining how it should all "flow", if you know what I mean.

I'll make an example for this: I don't know about how you guy fight Samson, but how can Gardervoir lv 65 (base speed 80) CAN BE FASTER than Hawlucha LV 66 (base speed 118),

- Simple, considering you're such an EV trainer yourself, I'm going to assume you have Speed EV's and quite possibly a +Speed nature, such as Timid on the Gardevoir. Has it ever occurred to you that Hawlucha might be a +Atk -Speed nature? And Reborn having no EV spread (yet, might happen in future release), makes it that if above statement is correct, Gardevoir has 187 Speed as opposed to Hawlucha's 162.

or how can Infernape can be faster than Cincino even Cinci is higher level than Infer??

- Very simple, like I mentioned above. Infernape might run a +Speed nature, like Jolly, as opposed to Cinccino who is quite possibly running a +Atk -Speed nature.

There are so much wrong with their teams. Their pokemon is good. Moveset is ok (like Sabeyle -_-).

- You just said that the Gym Leaders' teams are all wrong, now you're saying the movesets are alright, but the teams are wrong? Make up your mind, please.

But their Stats have problem. I think they got NO EVs invest at all. When you can access to 510 EVs (like >120 points stats), and they got nothing, that's make them so weak, even they are higher level than yours.

- A little bird mentioned that everyone has a base EV spread of 85 in all stats. (Which totals to 510 spread across the board) By everyone I mean all the Gym Leaders/trainers. So that disproves your theory. Moving on-

From Noel (as i remember correctly), all of them got OHKO, and very little got 2HKO (like Umbreon).

- ..Noel falls relatively fast to Fighting-types regardless. It works the same competitively if you make the right plays, everything can get OHKO'd considering the circumstances are correct (stats/EV's).

So my point is: i want more challenge. And i think it's not harder to change this than other bugs or issues in game right now. Here are some ideas:

1, Re-build gym leader's team: i think all of them need 510 EVs spreed wisely, good nature, maximum IVs if possible.

- Re-build? Are you nuts..? Gyms are getting re-designed with new field effects, which is an ongoing process and EV's are already spread equally to not make things extremely stupid strong. Imagine Julia having all her Electric types have 252 SpAtk/252 Speed/4 HP

And somehow i think Ame can change their moveset and their choices to attack, example Superpower for Honchkrow (Jubjub bird i remember?), and only use super-effective moves or at least the best damages it can do. How can Honchkrow always use Brave Bird when fighting a Magnezone with 0.25x damage?? ridiculous.

- Movesets can always be changed, but this is still AI you're talking about here. They always use the best move possible as programmed into their AI. AI is set to a certain skill-level, which determines move usage, potion usage and even switching if needed.

2, (this is the most important part i want)

PLEASE DON'T TELL US THE NEXT POKEMON LEADERS OR BOSSES ARE GOING TO USE NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Try switching the options around from "Shift" to "Set". It'll limit your switching, but in exchange you won't see what'll be used next. Though it's fairly predictable that your opponent will send out something you're weak against 95% of the time.

THIS IS UNFAIR. and they deserve a fair match! Like real battle online or somehow in battle tower. I'll make an example for this.

tyranitar is a beast. My fav in first 2 gen. But it has a nasty weakness against Fighting pkm. ANd then when we see a messenger appear:"Luna is going to use Bandersnatch"- we switch a Fighting pkm and then OHKO. It's not fair!!!! How can a monster die that easily!

- No Defense EV's invested specifically, it's 4x weak to Fighting, it's slow as hell, should I keep going? 'Cause I'm pretty sure those 3 statements I just made, say more then enough.

If Luna send him immediately without warning first, at least he will destroy one or two pkms. That's his power. maybe i'm asking too much if i say something like:"switch him out when i send a fighting pkm in", but the point of sending him without warning is not that much.

- Generally speaking, if someone first faces a Gym Leader without any kind of information (no spoilers or re-trying several times), you cannot possibly know what to expect from Gym Leaders. Given it's a little bit predictable because Gym Leaders get tougher and more competitive movesets to go with them. A nickname tends to help to throw people off-guard too. I remember first playing Reborn and facing "Heather" while battling Shelly and having absolutely no idea what it could be, then seeing a Yanmega sweep my ass, throwing me completely off my game.

And for that reason, i don't want to know the FIRST pokemon they are going to use. Maybe some random choose will be nice too.

- Here's an idea, how about you close your eyes before the first Pokémon is sent out and turn off your sound so you can't hear the Pokémon's cry..? Random choice is simply impossible, none of the games make use of that mechanic either.

If you know that Luna send Bisharp first, basically you will prepare somehthing can OHKO him as the lead on your team.

- You can't know unless someone spoils it for you or unless you've faced her once before.

That's not fair neither. I mean c'mon. They deserve a fair match. They got STUCK to ONE TYPE only.

- With 18 types, it'd be hard to give everyone a multi-type team, it's not what Reborn was meant to be.

And we can prepare to deal with that type before start, that's already TOO much. And their team got sucks stats, and we always know what pkm they are going to send next????

- Like I mentioned before, everyone has an equal EV spread on their teams, and isn't actually supposed to be the point that you go into battle prepared? If you go unprepared, you might as well give up immediately.

And somehow someone still say:" the leader team got hax all the time, i miss all the time and they hit all the time! it's frustrating!" ?????

- Hax is merely a factor that determines win or loss. You can't stop it, so deal with it and work around it. Always be prepared for the worst.

That's just wrong. Of course i don't expect to change all things as i said.

- Not to burst your bubble, but nothing you mentioned is constructive criticism that could further improve the game- It was merely a rant on how "unfair" things are in your eyes..

I just give some of my own ideas, and if you can change one or two things in here, i'll appreciate it Ame (hope you can read this ~.~). And i want to know what you guy think about that, and what other ideas you want to change to make the game more challenge. Tks for reading ^_^

- Ohhkay, then.

Edited by RainbowDash

That option's been around since Gen 1, bro.

My own self-imposed handicaps are:

-Have battle style on "Set" instead of "Shift"

-No using items in battle

-Sleep clause

and i miss that since gen I - so stupid >_<

well, currently all opponent's pokemon have an amount of EVs that depends on their level, but their EVs are spread around all stats evenly.

I think around level 50 or so, pokemon have all their 510 EVs, but they have like 85 EVs in each stat.

As for the IVs, currently it's only possible to give all IVs the same value (for example all 31 or all 30), which is a problem for the hidden powers because you can only get HP Dark or HP Fighting. Most of the Gym leaders have their Pokemon have 31 IVs which is good enough as long as you're not using Hidden Power or 0 IV speed/-SPE nature.

If you think Reborn's too easy, my advice is to not EV train, since the opponents apparently don't either.

nah, my second playthrough Reborn still got no problem with first three gyms (and i don't train any EVs at that moment), so EVs training is not a "big" problem at all. like i said, the problem is AI. and Ame said already, she doesn't control any EVs at all, and it's not in the system. so they are just like wild pkms, with 0 EVs, not spread around all stats.

If you really want to make it harder do the Little Cup challenge (play with the lowest form of a pokemon that is able to evolve) I am currently at the sixth badge and it is really hard even with perfect EVs and good IVs