Graterras Chapter 1: The Darkness Descends. [IC]

Raindrop Valkyrie

"Tis fine friend, but do remember, the despair will stay unless you are willing to do something about it." with that Odin got up and went to attend to the other guests. He felt sorry for that man, obviously he was down on his luck, so Odin had no hard feelings.

Odin saw someone turn to leave, He caught a quick glimpse under her hood enough to know she was a women, but not much else. He tried to approach her as unthreateningly as possible, he didn't want to spook the girl. He had a mug in his hand filled to the brim with Thunderbrew Ale. "Hey Miss, name's Odin Thunderbrew, I would hope you stay here in my families Inn, There is going to be bad storm coming, and I don't want you running around out in the city with no shelter, especially in this cold." He smiled as he moved the mug closer towards her. "Why don't you at least have a drink to warm you up? It would make me feel at least a little better than also allowing you to go out there on an empty stomach." Odin found himself in a place once again where his charity was getting the better of him. But he wanted everybody in this Inn today to feel like part of his family, he wanted them all to feel as if they had a place to loved. He felt it was the proper thing to do on the day he got to see his own son in 6 years. After tending to all the guests he hoped to chat with his son, and hear all about his time in Arbouretium. But for now making sure this women, whoever she was, was safe was his priority.

Edited by Hukuna

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helzebeth froze, surprised that somebody'd managed to unmask her immediately as a woman. She was certain she hadn't lifted her hood at any given time this night.

The thought of a storm immediately made her reluctant to leave, as she wasn't very familiar with the terrain, nor did she appreciate the cold much.

She watched as the amiable dwarf pushed a mug of ale towards her.

"I'm afraid I don't drink, good sire," she said, not bothering to lower her already alto voice anymore as she'd been discovered. I never learned how, she had to resist adding. "But perhaps if there be some bread available, I'm willing to pay for it."

She couldn't help trying to at least be polite, although the man was a dwarf-- he was friendly and even caring, it seemed, unlike most of the people she had met so far.

(OOC: is there a sort of, say, stables by the tavern? or a place where she could have had her wolf, Hunter, wait? unless the tavern allows huge hounds lul)

Edited by ZephyrEnyalios

"No need to worry about paying Lass, nobody is paying today if I can help it. I am treating everybody here like family if I can." he said as we went to fetch some bread for the women. He returned with half loaf "Aye isn't the freshest stuff on Graterras, but it is still good." he said as he placed it on the table in front of her, he then took back the Ale and drank in one huge gulp. "Ah, haven't had any of that all day, and if you need anything to wet your whistle there should be plenty of non-alcoholic stuff back there as well." "If you need anything just come and get me I am pretty hard to miss even though I am so short" he said with a chuckle. "Oh, and what is ya name Lass? If you don't mind me prying that is." He said with another hearty chuckle.

((OOC: not really a place in town would accept a Wolf, they actually would in Aurora since they are used as hunting animals up there, but not here. Hunter would probably be outside the town. I will assume Hunter is smart enough to take care of himself though so no harm will come to him. He also as a Ranger pet has a small mental link with you, so he will always be able to find you and now basically how you are feeling. [like he will kinda know you are in danger, but won't know what it is etc.]))

(OOC: ah, all righty then. That's pretty convenient, that bond lul)

She hesitated, since her father's name and news had spread like wildfire throughout the villages.

"... Helzebeth, sire," she said with a small smile.

Her first name, at least, nobody knew. Nobody so far, but this hospitable dwarf.

"Ah, tis a lovely name." Odin said a smile on his face. "Now don't you hesitate to come get me if ya be needing anything, I will go attend to the other guests, do enjoy your stay Miss Helzebeth." he said as he walked off with a smile and a wave.

"That is some interesting Silverware, didn't know the steaks were that tough around here" said Odin as he sat across from another Young Man. The man's Swords sat close by to him, Twin Beauties, well balanced, 2 swords Odin could really admire. "The name's Odin Thunderbrew, Welcome to The Drunken Clam friend" Odin said sliding a hearty mug of Thunderbrew Ale his way.

“That is some interesting Silverware, didn’t know the steaks were that though around here” the Dwarf, who introduced himself as Odin Thunderbrew, said.

“Well I heard Dwarves like their meat in big chunks and straight from the bone, so I came prepared.” Sigurd said with a smile. He accepted the mug from the Dwarf, took a sip and said: “My name is Sigurd Olafson. With a fine brew like this you would be a hero where I’m from.” Sigurd emptied his mug and studied Odin. The Dwarf had a friendly and somewhat trustworthy face, for as far you can trust a complete stranger. “Thanks for that. You seem to know a lot about this place. Any place you recommend for staying the night?”

"Aye, right here at The Drunken Clam, me good man. We have warm beds, and a good Breakfast in the morning to set ya off on a full belly" Said Odin with a hearty laugh "We are an Inn too, tends to be a good business when your town starts booming. Great meeting ya Sigurd, I am sure you will fit in around Brinestar just fine. Now if ya don't mind I need to attend to the guests who have yet to get their drinks." With that he stood up, gave a bow to Sigurd and walked off to attend anybody left.

Helzebeth decided to take up the dwarf on his offer. As for Hunter, she was confident that he could do better out in the harsh environment than she would-- he had his thick fur to keep him warm, for one. He was her father's wolf-- hers, now-- after all. If he had even a bit of her father's soul in him, then he for sure would have no trouble surviving in a harsh climate.

Chewing on the last bits of bread, she decided to continue observing the other patrons, since she'd be staying for the night anyway.

Marcus finished his ale and got up from his table in a much better mood. He was very curious about the appearence of a fellow Knight here of all places, and since he always was the type of people who acts first and thinks later, he went on to the Elf's table.

"Hello friend!" he started, a smile on his face " I wasn't expecting to see another member of our order around these parts! My name is Marcus Arthai, who do I have the pleasure to be talking with?"

Xavier quickly shifted his gaze from the rest of the room to the person who had just approached him. A human, he appeared to be another Cinder Knight, which was supported by the words of his greeting.

"Hello friend! I wasn't expecting to see another member of our order around these parts! My name is Marcus Arthai, who do I have the pleasure to be talking with?"

"I am Xavier, of the Sylvaurus family." He waited a moment, searching the young man's face for a reaction. "Speaking of these parts, what brings you here? It seems that our variety of help isn't particularly needed around here." While he waited for a reply, Xavier examined the human -Marcus's- attire. His armor seemed fairly fine and well taken care of. It didn't appear to have taken quite the abuse his had, but that was to be expected. A bastard sword hung at his waist. We must have even more in common than I initially thought. Their fighting styles likely wouldn't be identical, though; the other templar carried a shield, and his blade seemed to be of a more normal proportion.

The half-Orc chuckled as Odin not only caught the thief red-handed, but gave her a lesson in it to boot. He then shook his head and turned his attention to his ale, which he lifted off the table by the tankard's handle and took a long gulp of. Drug'thok then stomped his foot on the floor. Sand and dirt trickled in tendrils under the tavern door. They wrapped around the legs of the almost-thief's chair, yanking it out from under her. Then, as quickly as the tendrils entered the tavern, they were gone. Drug'thok took another long swig of ale, wiping his chin with his free forearm.

Edited by Jory

Jeneve tensed up as the chair was pulled out from under her. Arching her back, she directed the momentum of falling g and back flipped, neatly landing on her feet about a metre's length from the table. Annoyed, the elf glanced around the tavern, trying to identify the prankster.

Xavier chuckled as a small commotion caught his eye. An elven maid had apparently had her chair pulled out from under her, and looked rather annoyed as she searched about for the source of the seat's motion. He noticed a couple things that made him laugh, a bit more loudly this time. One, a bit of dirt seemed to have moved on its own, and judging by the direction it was moving, it was the cause of the impromptu backflip. Two, the half-orc was thoroughly enjoying the scene. "Someone's not as gruff as one might think," he commented aloud.

The hooded half-elf's keen, grey eyes detected some quick movement from deeper within the room. From where she sat, she saw the other elven woman's seat be dragged out from beneath her by what appeared to be particles of either sand or dirt-- probably some sort of magic, Helzebeth thought-- causing her to catch herself in a graceful backflip and glare at her surroundings, as if in search of the perpetrator.

Not too far away sat what appeared to be a half-Orc who seemed to be hiding a grin as he gulped down his ale, and the human Cinder Knight now stood next to the elf-Knight, who laughed and called out the half-Orc.

Helzebeth stood up slowly as to not draw any attention from the crowd of patrons who now had their attention focused on the commotion that had taken place, and crept towards a vacant table by the stairs leading up towards the inn. There she sat in order to watch what would happen next, and to escape quickly should things get messy, to say the least.

Edited by ZephyrEnyalios

Not so far across the table from the window, Akuma takes a sip from his mug as he careful observe his surroundings with his one keen eye under the covering of his hood. The Birdman senses a magic user nearby. not knowing if it is malevolent or just a harmless prank, He keeps close of his hammer as he grabs the tip of handle just in case something goes wrong while taking another sip his ale as he observes further.

Maybe i shouldn't jump to conclusions but i think i'll stay for awhile, i feel something interesting is about to happen.

"I am Xavier, of the Sylvaurus family."

The Elf's name wasn't familiar to Marcus. Judging by the state of his armor he shoul be a veteran Templar, so no wonder they didn't met during his training. The next thing Marcus noticed was that he carried a bastard sword too, but much bigger than his own. "He must be very strong to wield a weapon like this properly" Marcus thought.

"Speaking of these parts, what brings you here? It seems that our variety of help isn't particularly needed around here."

As he was about to answer, a something fell behind him with a loud noise, he turned quickly, just in time to see an elven girl land on her feet, chair on the ground. When she stood up, he also noticed she was very pretty, despite the angry expression she now had on her face. He than turned back to answer Xavier

"Oh well, I just misinterpreted the rumors about this Island it seems... But it may be that we might be needed in a while, we don't want people starting a fight inside Mr. Thunderbrew's place right?"

He than turned to watch how the situation went on.

Edited by Notus

Drug'thok continued to sip his ale, whistling a little bit to look more casual. He glanced over to the Elven maiden, who seemed to be quite upset about her chair. He lifted his tankard to his chin to hide his smile and took another long gulp of ale. This tavern had been getting just a little bit dull, anyway. He cautiously looked around the room. People had noticed the prank, and evidently thought it might result in a fight. The half-Orc sighed and shook his head. Cannot any person take a small joke in this age? he wondered to himself, frowning as he realized his tankard was empty.

Nero watched the sand and dirt trickle across the floor. He tensed, but did not move from his position against the wall.

"Magic..." he thought. "Seems I'm not the only one with the ability here... I didn't expect to encounter anyone else with the gift in a small village like this... I'd best keep my guard up."

The trail of earth stopped at an elven girl's chair, pulling it from underneath her. Surprisingly, she manged to catch herself with a graceful flip.

"She's no ordinary villager... Just what kind of trouble is fate concocting here?"

He looked around for the source of the magic, but could find no discernable clues. He doubted there was much threat behind the spell -- it seemed more like an innocent prank. Still, he was curious as to who he should be looking out for. There were a few hooded people who seemed likely candidates; mages often wore robes, and a hood would help disguise their identity. Still, that wasn't exactly a defining factor -- after all, he was a sorcerer with neither robes nor a hood. He also carried a longsword at his side, which was carefully concealed under his long coat. He decided to watch and see what would happen next from this encounter. Not wanting to be blamed for the incident he muttered a few words under his breath, ending the spell with a hand gesture. A web of magic gathered around his corner, darkening the air around him so as not to be noticed. He folded his arms and waited to see what the elven girl would do next.

Edited by Flux

*CRACK* The sound of thunder permeates the bar. Rolling violently, it sounded as if the storm was close. Odin had a bad feeling he couldn't shake, something felt wrong, very wrong. The bar fell silent for a second all that could be heard was the thunder. Then out of nowhere, screams from outside. Something was happening. Odin got up to rush to the window, but then the door flew open. A man in Simple Plate Armour stood in the doorway bloodied, with at least 5 arrows sticking out of his chest. He clutched a bloody stump where his arm once was with his only hand. "We're under attack!" He screamed as he collapsed inside the bar. Odin quickly shut the door.

"Magni! I am going to need your help." Odin said as he drew a Hatchet from his waistcoat. The Dwarf Paladin, or Magni, came to his father's side drawing out a simple hammer and a shield. "I know a lot of you are new around here, but we are going to need your help in the fight, and even if you don't, there is no way out of here, without fighting." Odin said, his happy demeanor gone from his face. Odin had no idea what they would face out there, but he knew it wouldn't be pretty.

The thunder rumbled loudly, as if punctuating the unfortunate end of the tankard of ale. Drug'thok stood abruptly as the man in plate armor stumbled in, causing the half-Orc's chair to slide backward into the wall. The sorcerer strode over to Odin, facing him and clasping his shoulder. "Friend, you have given me safe harbour and even better, free ale. Allow me to aid you," he said loudly enough for others to hear. He then turned to the rest of the group in the tavern, looking expectantly at their faces. Surely I cannot be the only one who is willing to help. He then turned back to Odin. "I may have neglected to mention earlier that I am a sorcerer; magic is my lifeblood, my connection to Graterras. Anything I can do to aid you, I will."

Jeneve cracked her knuckles and checked her knives. She tossed the orc (half-orc? Who cares) a glare; all the people looking in his direction made it obvious he pulled the stupid prank with the chair, in spite of his poker face. She would settle him later. Now, people attacking an innocent village, that was a good way to release some aggression. She stretched her back and started bouncing on the balls of her feet.

"Well, I'm up for a good fight. Who wants to come with?"

The Birdman heard the news. as soon as he finishes the last drop of his ale, he grins in excitement then grabs his massive hammer and put it in his back as he stands up. He walk towards of Odin passing the crowd then Akuma said

"thanks for ale my good man, by the way i'm sorry about lying early on to you, I'm not a traveling merchant who seeks fortune" as Akuma's tone changes and got darker "I am heaven's judgement who seeks blood upon the wicked!"

as he spread his wings and revealing himself then soon follows an eerie bird like screech.

Edited by typhlosionrulez

"We're under attack!"

So announced a mutilated man, who promptly collapsed on the tavern floor.

The dwarf-father--Odin Thunderbrew, he was named-- called on his son, the Paladin. He also asked for the aid of the crowd, basically stating that there'd inevitably be something worse than a mere bar(or tavern) fight.

Helzebeth watched as the half-Orc, who admitted to being a sorcerer and essentially, the cause of the earlier commotion, and the contemptuous elf-thief volunteer to help.

There was also a... Kenku, he appeared to be, having spread his wings and emitting a high-pitched shriek in anticipation of the incoming slaughter.

It seemed that there were patrons or... Foreigners, inferring from their appearances, who were willing to go to arms.

Now, what about her..?

She closed her eyes as if in concentration, so as to check on Hunter. All she felt was the strongest urge to snarl and to make her hairs stand on end.

Hunter was probably doing that. One way or another, he felt threatened or uneasy.

She could neither simply ignore that fact, nor show ungratefulness to the benevolent dwarf-father.

In silence, she calmly stood.

Edited by ZephyrEnyalios

Marcus watched surprised as the whole scene happened. "Why in seven hells would someone attack a fishing village in the middle of nowhere?" he thought. Than the people in the bar began to volunteer for fighting.

"Well, seems I'm finnally going to have some fun around here!" he spoke loudly "Mr. Thunderbrew, you can count on my sword, for the Cinder Knights of Pyron will always help the ones who are kind of heart and strong of soul." he than turned to Xavier "Seems our time to be useful just arrived mate." he said with a big smile.

Edited by Notus

Xavier looked down for a moment, then inclined his head upward slightly, revealing eyes that seemed to glow with energy and a grin. "Excellent." The young elf was eager for a fight. Perhaps it wasn't the best thing to look forward to, but he hadn't performed the deadly dance in quite some time. He drew his blade with a flourish, unfastening his cloak as part of the motion. It fluttered to the floor about his feet as he brandished it at the unseen foe through the door. "Judgement comes for you!" he shouted as he recklessly charged out of the doorway, moving his blade to a more practical two-handed guard as he went.