Just starting the game, any advice?

Duster

I started the game earlier, but I didn't get very far and I want to restart just cause I hate the pokemon I have. I only beat Julia so after that I have no idea what will happen. Any advice? I have heard how difficult it is and I am honestly pretty worried that I am going to screw myself over if I don't make the right choices. I am about to pick a starter and I am trying to choose between Froakie, Mudkip, and Chimchar, as they are all my favorites.

So basically, is there anything I should be careful of? Any pokemon that will help me early? What do I need to succeed in the world of Reborn?

Froakie is gonna give you a hand, but i recommend Chimchar... If you get Chimchar, let's just say Noel's Cinccino is not going to be a problem...

And here's my advice: Pick a Trubbish for the start (Toxic Spikes), and buy that Magikarp... Just do it... You have to... Gyarados is already OP, but in Reborn, it's even more OP...

Here's my other advice: Figure a way to beat Crobat since the start of the game... Just think about it from the stat...

Will think of more stuff...

EDIT: Delphox? I'd rather fight a Crobat with a Fairy type than that thing...

Also, if you don't take the fire starter, there's a trade for a Litleo in the start... STAB Hyper Voice hurts a lot...

Edited by Vinny953

Don't play this game like you do other Pokemon games. Broaden your horizons; go to the On the Hunt section of the forum for some info on getting real good pokemon. Chimchar is an epic starter so choose him. And as Vinny already stated:

Magikarp.

You got to budget your money in this game, but Magikarp even if it costs a crap load of $, like...get it. Do it, it'll serve you well for the rest of the game.

The Crobat you'll be facing later in the game will be tough. Luckily you can get a Ralts early on (the fairy typing though), as well as some electric pokemon such as Electrike or Emolga.

Chimchar is by far the best fire type early in the game. (I got a modest litleo with moxie, wth?)

I also recommend getting that Magikarp and get that Kricketot. Trubbish can be helpful, but isn't that necessary. And about Crobat: Swoobat is available early with psychic attacks and there are decent Electric types. Spam Charge Beam and it won't be that much of a problem. Last time I killed it with Pachurisu.

^ Well, it is a damn monster (I didn't get it until ep.10, but it would have saved me a lot of trouble...).

Chimchar seems to be your best shot. I've got Mudkip, and it is really good, but Chimchar is gonna be a big help against Florinia, Noel and Serra, and these are some of the most troublesome leaders.

Trubbish is really good early too, Toxic Spikes, Toxic and Acid Spray helped me more than once.

Be picky about which Pokemon to invest grinding time into. Reborn has high standards for which Pokemon will survive and serve you, versus the ones whose poor stats/movesets will wind up becoming deadweight. The ones that have served me well tend to be ones who wear multiple hats. Gratuitous Gyarados example: it can learn Bite, Aqua Tail, and Ice Fang. That's three (powerful) moves of different types in one mon.

Any of the three starters you suggested, I personally recommend Chimchar. Fire and Fighting are both handy types throughout the game, and putting them into one mon frees up a slot for something else. I personally was rarely starved for decent Water-types. Water-types usually didn't take an active role in most major battles, and when it did, it was the move itself that did it for me rather than the type of the actual Pokemon.

That's because gym leaders and other major battles cover their type disadvantages very, very well. It's not readily apparent on the first gym leader, but starting from the second, it becomes clear that having the type advantage doesn't necessarily mean you'll win. I'm still certain everyone in Reborn except you has access to an exclusive TM shop, because otherwise you wouldn't get insane Pokemon/move combos like a Seviper with Aqua Tail (now that caught me off guard...). Rule of thumb: expect a gym leader's team to have moves specifically designed to counter mons that have the advantage against it. The Bug-type leader has Ancient Power to seriously hurt the Fire- and Flying-types you'd logically bring into that fight, for instance.

In Reborn, there's no such thing as the perfect matchup. Almost every Pokemon in a major battle will have something that has the advantage against you as well.

about gyrarados, it going to be very handy for the 5th gym leader. for starters it mudkip spoilers simgund battles or turwig because grass types are half deadly and half tanks. you are lucky you joined reborn in ep.11 otherwise STAHP serra time.

Before you catch a pokemon you want to save. Natures, abilities and IV's are important. Pick pokemon that learn good moves while leveling up. It is difficult to breed for moves, and TM's are rare.

Edited by Mikzal

Get gyrados, Dragon rage is incredible and broken early game and will serve you well until the fight with the 3rd gym leader. I also recommend getting ralts for teleport as it will cut out a lot of back tracking.

Edited by Magus

• Veterans

i tell you Find episode 10 get WHismur evolve it to exploud go on episode 11 USE BOOOMBURSt wreck the game lol

STart with Chimchar i will just say that Noel is its Punching Bag hehe

Besides that i advise you to get Spiritomb in the Wasteland (you wil learn where that is later in the game just wait) and Get a odd keystone by mining save before mining though

Hey Vinny Does Radomus's G Gardevoir now have Moonblast instead of HP Fightin ?

I am asking this because in EPisode 10 Spiritomb was the Perfect counter to i G gardevoir coulndt do anything to it

Have fun and learn the reason why this game haunts some people like me

Edited by Azery123

well, just start it like normal pkm game- but remember u have to pick and train 6 pkm in the same time to deal with the gym leader. Gyarados is OP but in double battle, still can be KO before u can hit anything after dragon dance. trust me, a double battle with gym leader is hurt. bcz we all have lots of exp with single battle through 6 gen, but double battle in this game is so annoying.

btw, u shouldn't care about EV in the early time. just pick pkm with good nature and "acceptable" IV. bcz u can do mostly nothing about that. ex: when your op send out magnezone, mostly u HAVE TO send infernape. u can't say:"oh no, i need my infernape got atk. and speed EV, not sp.atk" -_- when u got ditto and save the old man in day-care---> breed it. then u can train for EV later.
i mean, later in game, IV is the most important thing to pick. u can change nature of pkm. and u got ability capsule. so it's not problem.

p/s: i got blaziken adamant nature with speed boost and 31 IV atk from the start -_- (def/ sp.def/ speed IV are 10/7/18--->but it doesn't matter right ^_^

and that blaziken got:

-bulk up (with sp.boost, it's like quiver dance in physical side -_-)

-brave bird

-high jump kick

-flare blitz

THAT IS OP+ SUICIDE. trust me, much better than chimchar. mostly fighting gym leader my blaziken WILL DIE. But bcz he kill himself :v :v and of course he take out 3 to 4 pkm with him :v

Get your money back by buying x99 Oran Berries, giving them to Miltank in exchange for Moomoo Milk and selling x99 Moomoo Milk to get 4950 pokedollars instantly!

He just started the game. Miltank will be unavailable for a long, long while. Plus, that method is too slow. There's a better way to make money ;)

pay day :v :v :v with meowth---> persian. it's the second pkm on my first team. i dump it to PC after it learn pay day. at least it's much sooner than miltank i guess -_-. and meowth should have atk nature and technician ability, and u can abuse that in the early of the game (buff atk bite, fake out, even cut :v :v :v)

In the current release, you really don't need pick-up, or pay day. The amount of trainers has definitely increased since I joined, of course pick-up can net you awesome items like the lucky egg, and sun/moon stones, and rare candies.

Hmm going to suggest some Pokemon which are doing awesome for me in my current playthrough.

Azumarill

This pokemon is a monster and best of all doesn't rely on TM like a lot of pokemon because TMs are lacking in Pokemon Reborn. Through just levelling up you can get Aqua Tail, Play Rough, Superpower, Double Edge and Rain Dance on your Azumarill. The only problem with Azumarill is two of its good competitive moves are egg moves (Aqua Jet and Belly Drum) and these egg moves are hard to get on Azumarill as the Pokemon required are very late game. Anyways although you will likely be lacking Aqua Jet and Belly Drum Azumarill is still a monster with just Aqua Tail, Play Rough and Superpower with either rain dance to boost Aqua Tail or Double Edge to hit Grass/Poison types that resist all the other attacks. Strength also isnt a bad choice for the fourth slot seems as it doesn't really need that 4th move slot.

Ambipom

This is another awesome pokemon that you can get relatively early and the only bad thing is it requires egg moves to be good. The good news is it's really easy to breed the moves on it you want. You catch Aipom headbutting trees near Corey's Gym. Just after Corey's Gym in the Lapis ward (Aqua Gang hideout) you can catch Purlions that already know Pusuit and Fake out meaning you can right away breed that with your Aipom (Really doesn't take long). Anyways Technician Ambipom with Fake Out, Pursuit, Double Hit and Rock Smash is actually pretty good and can kill a lot of pokemon by simply using Fake Out then Double Hit before they can even do anything.

With these two you will have them fully evolved before vsing Shelly for your 3rd Badge and will have them with Strong moves! Azumarill learns 90 Power Aqua Tail really early and its just like lvl 33 for Aipom to learn double hit and evolve into Ambipom. If you don't know Double hit is a 35 power move that hits twice so really 70 power however with Technician both those hits are boosted making it even stronger!

PS: Aipom with Run Away ability evolves into Ambipom with Technician .

• Veterans

Get A Raticate its great after lvl 30 cause it learns super fang its a great lead cause of that super fang halves your opponents hp usefull for when your facing a bulky opponent

Edited by Azery123