Help with Corey?

Shushup

Hey fellow members of Reborn! I've recently been playing Pokemon Reborn again since it's been a loooooooooooooong time since I haven't played it and so many things changed!

Now I recently got up to Corey and he seems really hard now. Since Kirlia is now a Fairy type, she's kinda helpful.

My team has the following pokemon; Combusken(28) Gyarados(27) Loudred(26) Kirlia(26) Manectric(26) and Trubbish(15).

I added Trubbish in so that when Corey uses Toxic Spikes with his Trubbish I can get them away with switching into my own Trubbish to clean away the Toxic Spikes.

The trouble I have with Corey is with his Crobat. Like Taka's Chatot, Crobat has Nasty Plot. I thought I was able to defeat Crobat with using my Manectric, but it seems Manectric's attacking wasn't strong enough. Anyway I would love to hear your opinion on helping me to defeat Corey!

Thanks for reading~!

If you didn't get it yet, find the Emolga in Jasper Ward. You may have to grind it up a level or two, but it comes at a respectable level and knows decent Thunder-type moves to nail that Crobat right in its bat-crotch. imo Manectric isn't that good at this point in the game since it the moves it currently has don't take advantage of that high sp.atk stat. You may wanna keep Emolga around since it learns Acrobatics at level 30 (i.e. very soon) and it'll come in handy for the Bug-type gym coming up.

I also recommend getting a Phanpy in the nearby grass. Ground is super effective against Poison-types and it's a handy Pokemon to keep around afterward. You can try what I did and evolve it into Donphan, give it Common Candies to reduce its level to 18, and grind it back up from there. It learns Magnitude at level 19 (impossible to get otherwise since Phanpy evolves at level 25) and it's a very powerful move especially for this point in the game. It's next great Ground-type move, Earthquake, doesn't come until level 46...

It seems like a lot of work now, but it'll pay off in the long term.

Interesting to use Trubbish to get rid of the Toxic Spikes set up by Corey's own. Hm, I really don't remember how I beat him as it was a long time ago. I can try to suggest getting Phanpy/Bunnelby, both which evolve into some pretty useful pokemon for this gym (Donphan/Diggersby). Besides that, I would try sending in Gyarados in on the Crobat and spam Dragon Rage. Sorry if it isn't helpful, hopefully others can pick up where I missed out on.

Edit: Timber addressed Phanpy already.

Edited by ~Derpy Simon

Assuming that is a moxie gyrados, and hopefully you got dragon rage, you can spam DR, which THKO most of his mons, by the time you get to crobat, you have enough Moxie boost to one shot it with bite. Gyrados with Dragon rage is extremely broken early game.

Edited by Fiendlord Maus

Your Manectric doesn't know Thunder Wave? Paralyzing that Crobat really helps slow it down, so your other Pokemon can get a hit on it, and the chance to be fully paralyzed doesn't hurt, either. If you happen to have a Heart Scale on hand, I think you can go to the move relearner for it? But that is a bit of trek, so maybe not the best idea...

Your Manectric doesn't know Thunder Wave? Paralyzing that Crobat really helps slow it down, so your other Pokemon can get a hit on it, and the chance to be fully paralyzed doesn't hurt, either. If you happen to have a Heart Scale on hand, I think you can go to the move relearner for it? But that is a bit of trek, so maybe not the best idea...

It does know Thunder Wave. Unfortunately when I'm in a battle with him, It seems like a battle for one. So I kill both of his pokemons first, he kills mine. I kill another, he kills another of mine. It's like a Seesaw, and that's the furthest I got.

If you didn't get it yet, find the Emolga in Jasper Ward. You may have to grind it up a level or two, but it comes at a respectable level and knows decent Thunder-type moves to nail that Crobat right in its bat-crotch. imo Manectric isn't that good at this point in the game since it the moves it currently has don't take advantage of that high sp.atk stat. You may wanna keep Emolga around since it learns Acrobatics at level 30 (i.e. very soon) and it'll come in handy for the Bug-type gym coming up.

I also recommend getting a Phanpy in the nearby grass. Ground is super effective against Poison-types and it's a handy Pokemon to keep around afterward. You can try what I did and evolve it into Donphan, give it Common Candies to reduce its level to 18, and grind it back up from there. It learns Magnitude at level 19 (impossible to get otherwise since Phanpy evolves at level 25) and it's a very powerful move especially for this point in the game. It's next great Ground-type move, Earthquake, doesn't come until level 46...

It seems like a lot of work now, but it'll pay off in the long term.

Thanks for this helpful tip. But one question, how would I get an Emolga?

It does know Thunder Wave. Unfortunately when I'm in a battle with him, It seems like a battle for one. So I kill both of his pokemons first, he kills mine. I kill another, he kills another of mine. It's like a Seesaw, and that's the furthest I got.

Thanks for this helpful tip. But one question, how would I get an Emolga?

Emolga should be near the big tree south of Jasper's Pokemon Center. I think it's easier to catch it at night since it'll be sleeping. At any other time, it may be flying around. I'm not sure. In any case, it's right around the corner and it's a decent powerhouse for this point in the game.

Emolga should be near the big tree south of Jasper's Pokemon Center. I think it's easier to catch it at night since it'll be sleeping. At any other time, it may be flying around. I'm not sure. In any case, it's right around the corner and it's a decent powerhouse for this point in the game.

I remember it has to be a clear day or maybe a clear night.

use Arbok instead of Trubbish, it has glare.and use 2 Diggersby with huge power smacking everyone with take down(you heard me right..desperate times ^_^ )

they're both conveniently found at Beryl cemetery(Ekans,Bunelby), training them won't take long to evolve....works for me.

Another thing that might help you, especially with Corey's Crobat and a few later battles, is to pick up a Pokemon that knows Stealth Rocks - an entry hazard that does rock type damage to opponent's Pokemon when they switch in. Since Crobat is weak to rock, it'll take 25% hp off of it when it gets switched in. Your best bet for rocks this early would likely be the Onix in Lower Peridot ward. There's a Hiker who can't make it back to his home after the train station was destroyed, so see if you can help him find a new place to live.

Honestly, I had trouble purposely losing to Corey. (For guide purposes)

His Trubbish can't be OHKO'd due to a Focus Sash, so you'll have Toxic Spikes to take care of with another Poison type.

Having a fast special attacker (like that Manectric) out first helps a lot. Spam Charge Beam on the first 2-3 Pokémon he sends out and get those SpAtk boosts.

If desperate, you can abuse Loudred's Uproar/Gyarados' Dragon Rage to take out whatever he sends out.

You can send out Kirlia against his Croagunk to OHKO it, no doubt. (Pray it doesn't use Sucker Punch, because it has the item Blackglasses, which powers up Dark-type moves like Sucker Punch, even though Kirlia takes neutral damage, it still has frail defense.)

Honestly, Kirlia/Loudred/Gyarados should take out most of his Pokémon, Manectric can be saved for his Crobat if you really have to. Just Thunder Wave/Charge Beam spam on it. Crobat has Roost/Venoshock/Nasty Plot/Air Cutter if I'm not mistaken, sooo. If you manage to get Toxic Spikes out of the way, you should be fine after a Thunder Wave.

• Veterans

The way i beat corey is by giving him a taste of his ow medicine A.K.A using Crobat with wing attack wreked his entire team excpet skuntank which he sent out last ..... damnes acid spray in episode 10.5

Oh welll Crobat is THE Definitife flying type in reborn so he recerified that by Massacaring The Fighting Gym leader ( lol forgot her name beat her way to fast though)

Soz for the bad spelling

Edited by Azery123

All hail Jimmy the Manectric for soloing Corey for me. >>;

+5 SpAtk boost from Charge Beam pretty much swept Corey.. Which is broken as fuck.

It was level 26 and went up to 29 after defeating Crobat.. Yeah.

And I'm not even kidding;

Thought I'd bring Ekans along just to get rid of Toxic Spikes- I only took one hit- Haunter's Sucker Punch. >>;

839h4.png

Edited by RainbowDash

You have Kirlia and Gyarados and still have problems with Corey? Hmm maybe your Pokemon have very bad IVs, i practically soloed him with Gyarados (like all the others Gym leaders till Shelly) killing 5 of his Pokemons (including Crobat) so idk, maybe you should try to level them up to 30 (Gardevoir is much better than Kirlia) or get a Ground type.

You have a Gyarados...

You're doing something wrong...

EDIT: Sorry Shuckle, but it's the truth... Anyway...

You know, i can't help you that much... Cuz wen i fought Corey, i had a Kadabra... It destroyed 4 of his pokemons, and Gyarados got rid of the other two (Including Crobat), so i don't know...

I really should start a new file... Although i'm waiting to do it when the game ends...

Edited by Vinny953

I started another game last week and I beat his Crobat with a Butterfree of all things. He used Air Cutter on the first turn, Butterfree lived and hit it with a Stun Spore. The next turn he set up a Nastly Plot when he could have just KO'd Butterfree, the next turn he got paralyzed then on his last turn he missed the Air Cutter. Three Psybeams was enough to kill it, along with some dumb luck. I didn't anticipate beating it like that. I planned to have Butterfree paralyze it and do as much damage as possible while someone else cleaned it up.

You have a Gyarados...

You're doing something wrong...

EDIT: Sorry Shuckle, but it's the truth... Anyway...

You know, i can't help you that much... Cuz wen i fought Corey, i had a Kadabra... It destroyed 4 of his pokemons, and Gyarados got rid of the other two (Including Crobat), so i don't know...

I really should start a new file... Although i'm waiting to do it when the game ends...

That didn't help me. I got sucker punched by his Croagunk killing it in 1 hit ><

Anyway, that was on my first playthrough and Corey destroyed me back then. I remember beating his Crobat with Pachurisu. It's bulky enough to take a hit or 2 and dish out with electric attacks.