Vinny

Different shinies?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change more than just the color of a shiny pokemon?

• Yes. I want to see different forms of pokemons.
    • No. I think that's not good, it's not original/Something else
    • I have no opinion on that/I don't care/Something else
  2. 2. Silver Kabutops or Red Kabutops?

• Red
    • Silver

Me talking about zombies was also an example. I'm not a big fan of changing anything but the colors. It moves away from pokemon. And this isn't any zombie apocalypse. No snakewood here.

I agree... Honestly I don't really like that idea that pokemon's designs get changed. Changing colors is all okay but no design changes..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I don't care for drastic changes to the pokemon themselves. Coloring changes are nice, but when you change the sprites I think it goes a bit too far. Like others have said, this isn't Snakewood.

Kabuto-wise, silver just looks more complimentary, the red seems a bit muddy

I voted for the Silver Kabutops, but they are both cool so...

And for the shinies: I think it goes a bit too far if you change the sprites. Like others said it moves away from Pokémon. It's fine if you create an entire game like that (Snakewood), but letting them show up randomly... And I don't feel like it 'fits' Reborn tbh.

If you want to have something 'Reborn only' why don't you just change the colors? That can count as some sort of mutation since the region is f*cked up.

Me talking about zombies was also an example. I'm not a big fan of changing anything but the colors. It moves away from pokemon. And this isn't any zombie apocalypse. No snakewood here.

Oh okay... I didn''t notice that at first... Sorry mate...

I agree... Honestly I don't really like that idea that pokemon's designs get changed. Changing colors is all okay but no design changes..

I think this is the most popular opinion, even if the votes say otherwise... I guess Ame is gonna need to think about it, even after the votes end... I think changes are acceptable, but not drastic ones... Hmm... Will wait...

in all honesty vinny that tangroth while just an idea seems out of place in pokemon, alos can i have a shiny gold dragon please?? :D also some kinda side quest would be nice to be able to get a shiny version of pokemon that are only avalible in the game corener without the mass amount of breading would be nice

Pretty sure you can just keep resetting before buying it... It's better than breeding IMO...

• Support Squad

I think that if the Devs want to get creative, Go Crazy. As evidenced by the game thus far, the Devs creativity (yaaaaaaaay)

is great and unique. Also, they obviously wouldn't go OTT unless there was a specific reason for it. (Althoguh i wonder what a crobat would look like with an upside down face). And for those who say the concept strays too far from pokemon, you gotta think, How often would you see these specific pokemon? What are the chances that You not only get a shiny but that shiny is of one of the few pokemon to get a design change? Not only that, there may be a chance that these specific shinys are even rarer than the regular shinys.

Edited by DobbyTheElf

I totally dig the zombie thing, but maybe not in Reborn. I suppose it depends on what kind of alterations there would be. For a Pokemon game, Reborn has shown to be (disturbingly) down to earth, from city pollution to a terrorist organization instigating it. We don't really see what effects the environment has had on the native Pokemon beyond forcing them to hide, so it would be interesting to see some consequences like that machine-like Tangrowth. On the other hand, do we really need to? I didn't question it precisely because of how closely Reborn played to a real Pokemon game despite the original storyline and region. As someone else mentioned, too much customization might take players out of the experience. Plus, since I don't care for shinies to begin with (inconceivable, I know), it seems like unnecessary work for arbitrary surface-level changes.

Recolored shinies, fine, if you're willing to put in the effort. Silver Kabutops, btw.

Not only that, there may be a chance that these specific shinys are even rarer than the regular shinys.

No, this shinies are supposed to be the "common" shinies you see... So, i don't know... A different "class" of shinies would be cool, but i don't know how that would work...

it seems like unnecessary work for arbitrary surface-level changes.

That is true, but i think we have people interested in doing it anyway...

The problem? We have requests for "different shinies" in the 1st gen... I'd like to see what Ame has prepared for the other gens...

Pretty sure you can just keep resetting before buying it... It's better than breeding IMO...

wish i knew this a while back.... but vinnie can i has a shinny gold dragonite/garchomp/salamance when they are put in please?

wish i knew this a while back.... but vinnie can i has a shinny gold dragonite/garchomp/salamance when they are put in please?

They got rid of Magmar and freakin' Staraptor because both were deemed "too powerful." We're not getting the Pseudo-Legendaries in this game.

They got rid of Magmar and freakin' Staraptor because both were deemed "too powerful." We're not getting the Pseudo-Legendaries in this game.

*cough* Metagross *cough*

@Sandy i don't know... Mostly because i have no idea on how this shinies are going to look like in the future...

Anyway, this is not the point guysh :I

*casually votes for more work to do*

In my opinion, I think adding different sprites would be cooler. There would be a noticeable difference between the shiny and the normal, and since shinies are more common in Reborn, it'd make them better than just a reskin.

If we are going to change the shinies then there should be a reason why they look like they do. Mecha-Tangrowth and Zombie Machamp should have a backstory.

The mecha-Tangrowth has a story... PULSE! Of course, that's an example... and actually, NO... The shiny Tangrowth is not going to look like that... To tell you the truth, i have NO idea on how the shiny Tangrowth is going to look like (IF the shiny version changes form... And i don't think it will)...

Well, the Reborn region is pretty f**d as it is... But i'll wait for Ame to see this i guess...

If we are going to change the shinies then there should be a reason why they look like they do. Mecha-Tangrowth and Zombie Machamp should have a backstory.

The mecha-Tangrowth has a story... PULSE! Of course, that's an example... and actually, NO... The shiny Tangrowth is not going to look like that... To tell you the truth, i have NO idea on how the shiny Tangrowth is going to look like (IF the shiny version changes form... And i don't think it will)...

Well, the Reborn region is pretty f**d as it is... But i'll wait for Ame to see this i guess...

I actually like Mecha-Tangrowth. XD

I agree that the alterations would need to have some kind of explanation behind them, even if it's just players inferring what happened to them based on the environment. Y'know, a Bidoof with patches in its fur--can't imagine Reborn's environment is all that healthy. Plus, I'm a sucker for world-building. But it's also a concern because custom sprites for each available Pokemon would be a lot of work, and I anticipate they'll be polarizing (just look at the responses to Zombie!Machop). Cool world-building versus efficiency and erring on the side of caution. Hmm.

I feel like most people think we're just gonna have like zombies and ghosts as shinies, and that really wasn't the plan...Just pokemon that do differentiate from the normal sprite in some way, like maybe a Tauros with a fire mane, or Boufflant that looks like a party animal.

No, everyone gets it. It's been repeated well enough times for the concept to sink in. The problem is not people not understanding; it's the ideas that need work. If you guys keep suggesting awkward ideas and then claiming 'well that's not how they would be like', well, then you need to supply actual examples!

Also, Tauros with a fire mane and 'party animal' Boufflant are equally as bad ideas as zombie Machamps. Sorry... The idea of alternate sprites of certain Pokemon isn't bad itself- there's a lot of potential. But the only decent idea suggested in this topic was a Bidoof with messed up fur, and without a sprite to show it off the concept itself isn't enough to make the deal. But throwing in things like zombie Machamps and flaming Tauroses degrades the quality of this project; I am not a fan.

I feel like most people think we're just gonna have like zombies and ghosts as shinies, and that really wasn't the plan...Just pokemon that do differentiate from the normal sprite in some way, like maybe a Tauros with a fire mane, or Boufflant that looks like a party animal.

Speaking of that... I made a sprite similar to this idea for a game I had planned to make but didn't have the motivation to follow through with. Basically, Pokemon were being experimented on by a certain professor and gaining a second (or third) type. I did get around to Tauros, and here was the result.

2vm7arl.png

I guess people don't like this sort of thing, though. (Good thing I didn't follow through... >.>) I also made an icy beedrill and a few others. I know it's off-topic, but I guess I just found it interesting that you brought something up that was quite similar to something I'd already made.

(There's some sprite-proof ShinxLuver...)

Okay, but that's still too out there. Living in a polluted region wouldn't do that to a Pokemon. (I know it was for a different project, though. For what it's worth, your concept sounds fun :) I wouldn't like it in Reborn, but that's a Pokemon hack i'd play.)

Here, I whipped up some sprites.

URcEegb.png

See, the basic Pokemon are a little bit different; I altered small markings and added the affects of pollution to them. However, as they evolve you get to see how they have overcome this- the damage has been done, but this doesn't stop the Pokemon from moving on. Shiny Bibarel and Swoobat look stronger for the experiences they've went through.

Is it worth doing? I don't know. But pollution and completely redesigning a Pokemon are two different things. Zombie Machops have no place in Pokemon- especially not a project such as this. Reborn aims to add a sense of realism to the Pokemon world, not craziness...

Edited by ShinxLuver

they will be added eventualy...my dear timber..eventualy

Edited by sandy

Okay, but that's still too out there. Living in a polluted region wouldn't do that to a Pokemon. (I know it was for a different project, though. For what it's worth, your concept sounds fun :) I wouldn't like it in Reborn, but that's a Pokemon hack i'd play.)

Here, I whipped up some sprites.

URcEegb.png

See, the basic Pokemon are a little bit different; I altered small markings and added the affects of pollution to them. However, as they evolve you get to see how they have overcome this- the damage has been done, but this doesn't stop the Pokemon from moving on. Shiny Bibarel and Swoobat look stronger for the experiences they've went through.

Is it worth doing? I don't know. But pollution and completely redesigning a Pokemon are two different things. Zombie Machops have no place in Pokemon- especially not a project such as this. Reborn aims to add a sense of realism to the Pokemon world, not craziness...

I actually like these. For something like Reborn I'd appreciate leaning more towards subtlety than zombies--that's a Pokemon game for another time. (Though I gotta disagree somewhat that Shiny Swoobat looks stronger from the experience; he looks more like he's just plain pissed off, though I suppose going from vulnerable to angry is a form of growth...)

But, I wonder why sprites like that can't be the normal sprites instead of being limited to Shinies, unless the altered sprites are common. Touches like these do wonders for Reborn's atmosphere.

^ Honestly, flipping it upon it's head would be cool, too. Having the 'shiny Pokemon' be normal, healthy Pokemon, while the normal majority could be altered. Therefore creating the affect that most Pokemon in this world are affected by pollution, but you can rarely find an untouched Pokemon... Though, this would require a whole lot of spriting.

Again, I'm not sure how worth it this would be, but it's a thought.

Edited by ShinxLuver

That's a pretty cool concept. It'd make sense that the Pokemon going through a hard time would be more common than the Pokemon who toughed through it and are healthy. Even though they'd be the official sprites, they'd still be special in their own way. Of course, yeah, it still goes back to one of the original problems: the labor. It's one thing to make recolored Shinies, since the most you'd need is Photoshop's color picker tool. It's another to make each individual Pokemon look like it's trying to hang in there. Unless there's a dedicated spriter, there's only so much time and effort Ame should devote to surface-level changes.

• Administrators

So I think a few things need to clarified.

Firstly, there's not any question that shiny colours will be changing. This something already determined and partially implemented (all of 6th gen has already received custom shiny colours). These changes are to make the already-more-common-than-canon-games' shinies feel better. Currently many shiny Pokemon are just a very subtle shade different from their original, and/or otherwise just look bad. We're fixing that, and while we're at it, might have a little fun with some of the shinies (for instance, the demonic #666 Vivillon which has already been implemented).

As we go down the other generations, I noted some other ideas that might be interesting-- some Pokemon might appear to be zombified or mechanized* versions of themselves, for instance. However when I had these ideas, the intent was only to change the colouration to look like a theme.

In the case of our zombie machop, I had imagine it might have some sore-looking spots and the sort of rancid skin tone, yes. But in actualizing these changes, we went a step further-- for instance, having its head lobbed off as if it were actually a zombie. I wasn't entirely comfortable with that degree of change myself, hence why I asked Vinny to make this poll, which has more or less confirmed my suspicion that that is probably going a bit too far.

However, I am a little surprised that so many people are so anti-zombie. So that's good to know. I personally don't like zombies either, but I know some people do and figured those people might enjoy having something that looks like the undead trounce their enemies.

Let's back this up a bit-- pretend that our zombie theme changes are limited, as originally intended, to just the colouration of the Pokemon. No expose ribcages, no lobsided heads. Is this still off-putting? Are people interesting in having a zombie-theme shiny at all or should we default to something more traditional for Machamp?

* to clarify about "mecha-tangrowth": The screenshot Vinny linked is the PULSE Tangrowth. We've already fought semi-mutated PULSE Pokemon, just now they work on a mechanic similar to mega evolution. However, because this mechanic requires a PULSE machine, it will not be available to the player, ever. Just in case someone thought the PULSE forms were cool, my plan was to have shiny version of Pokemon that become PULSE'd sort of mimic their PULSE forms. In Tangrowth's case, though, it wouldn't have those machine parts or those wild tentacles-- it would just match the PULSE tangrowth's colour, and possibly copy its cycloptic characteristic. In that sense, our shiny Tangrowth won't really be "mecha" at all.

However, there were other Pokemon I marked that could be mecha-fied. For instance, Nidoking is a Pokemon that already has a very 'segmented' body. When recoloured to silver, it's probably naturally going to look a bit robotic, so we were just going to extrapolate on that.